THE LOW CARB DIABETIC

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
THE LOW CARB DIABETIC

Promoting a low carb high fat lifestyle for the safe control of diabetes. Eat whole fresh food, more drugs are not the answer.

Welcome to the Low Carb Diabetic forum,have you signed up yet? if not then sign up and join us in the low carb community today!

+8
Moose
AliB
graham64
Andy12345
mo1905
sanguine
Eddie
zand
12 posters

Hi, new guy could do with some help

Paul1976
    Paul1976

Male Posts : 2439

Hi, new guy could do with some help - Page 2 Empty Re: Hi, new guy could do with some help

Post by Paul1976 Thu Oct 09 2014, 13:34

Hiya Moose!

Do those eggs have a 'Red Lion' mark stamped on them or the box itself?

If so,it means they meet the minimum standard here in the UK.
    Sharon

Hi, new guy could do with some help - Page 2 Empty Re: Hi, new guy could do with some help

Post by Sharon Thu Oct 09 2014, 16:09

buy eggs from asda. cheap £1.25 for 15. they are cheap I think. eggs have good nutrition.
    Jan1
    Jan1

Female Posts : 5094

Post by Jan1 Thu Oct 09 2014, 17:23

Moose wrote:
    Jan1 wrote:I think I'd still try to start my day with an egg, a lot more nutritious than cornflakes.....

Do you have to go and pick up your food bank things every 14 days - it must be heavy with the cans of soup and peaches etc? When I've seen articles on the TV they just show a boxful of different goodies/foods, which looks more easy to lift and carry.

Obviously when you do shop, keep looking out for as many cheaper priced lower carb foods as you can.

All the best Jan

I've got a electric mobility scooter, also sometimes bring the stuff back in a man-trolley on the bus.

I am supplementing my diet with poundland "eggs" that you use to be able to 12 for a pound now its down to 10 for a pound.

I buy 3 lots and have 6 eggs in the morning instead of the cornflakes. I

I'm eating them raw, 6 eggs in a large glass tumbler with a dash of milk, to save on electricity. The concern I have is are these eggs safe to eat raw?  They are sold unrefrigerated.

Many years ago I was hospitalized with a strain of food poisoning after eating raw to dodgy goose eggs. I knocked me for six, my guts felt like I had been punched in them several times by some heavyweight boxer. and then there was the diarrhoea, which meant I need a drip to keep me hydrated.  

However I believe all eggs now have to meet a standard before being sold in the Uk, please correct me if I'm wrong.

I add about 20 grams of butter to the soups to beef them up in calories as I don't eat bread with them.

Certainly my blood sugar levels have stopped inclining since I took this move.

Moose

Glad to hear your blood sugar numbers "have stopped inclining" but do be careful with eggs ..... like Paul says make sure they have the lion mark, you can't go far wrong then.

If you have any of the larger supermarkets check out the prices of their eggs, as I think I said previously, free range are nice but any egg (with the lion mark) is full of goodness.

Also good idea to add butter to cooking.

All the best Jan
    AliB
    AliB

Female Posts : 377

Post by AliB Thu Oct 09 2014, 23:04

On the subject of eggs, I picked up a good point earlier.  The article mentioned that many people who are 'allergic' to eggs, might not be reacting to the eggs per se, but to the soy they are fed with.  Most chicken feed contains heaps of soy because its cheap, but the yolks can be very high in soy isoflavones.

People who react to cheaper eggs may find they are ok with either the 'omega 3' eggs which have a feed high in flax meal, or to non soy-fed free range eggs.

Once again we are back in the realms of, if you want food the way it SHOULD be produced, you have to pay a premium!

PS.  We used to buy farm eggs that always tasted of fish.  They were fed fish meal, so that is a testament to how the feed can affect the eggs.  Unfortunately, you can't taste soy.

Sorry, that was a bit off-topic, but I thought it was interesting.... :0)
    Moose
    Moose
    Forum Jester

Post by Moose Mon Oct 13 2014, 15:10

AliB wrote:On the subject of eggs, I picked up a good point earlier.  The article mentioned that many people who are 'allergic' to eggs, might not be reacting to the eggs per se, but to the soy they are fed with.  Most chicken feed contains heaps of soy because its cheap, but the yolks can be very high in soy isoflavones.

People who react to cheaper eggs may find they are ok with either the 'omega 3' eggs which have a feed high in flax meal, or to non soy-fed free range eggs.

Once again we are back in the realms of, if you want food the way it SHOULD be produced, you have to pay a premium!

PS.  We used to buy farm eggs that always tasted of fish.  They were fed fish meal, so that is a testament to how the feed can affect the eggs.  Unfortunately, you can't taste soy.

Sorry, that was a bit off-topic, but I thought it was interesting.... :0)

That but the wind up me. Shocked

Moose
    semiphonic
    semiphonic

Male Posts : 10

Post by semiphonic Sun Oct 19 2014, 04:48

Moose, my family are all ex-forces, you need to go to SSAFA, they will help you. Good luck my friend.
    Moose
    Moose
    Forum Jester

Post by Moose Mon Oct 20 2014, 14:39

semiphonic wrote:Moose, my family are all ex-forces, you need to go to SSAFA, they will help you. Good luck my friend.

Cheers for that.

Moose

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Mar 29 2024, 05:12