THE LOW CARB DIABETIC

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
THE LOW CARB DIABETIC

Promoting a low carb high fat lifestyle for the safe control of diabetes. Eat whole fresh food, more drugs are not the answer.

Welcome to the Low Carb Diabetic forum,have you signed up yet? if not then sign up and join us in the low carb community today!

+3
Andy12345
Paul1976
Jan1
7 posters

Alan Henning, a good man - our thoughts and condolences.

Jan1
    Jan1

Female Posts : 5094

Alan Henning, a good man - our thoughts and condolences. Empty Alan Henning, a good man - our thoughts and condolences.

Post by Jan1 Sat Oct 04 2014, 16:45

I know this is a low carb diabetes forum but the main news story today has unfortunately been about the death, and not release, of Alan Henning. An ordinary British Man who just wanted to help others. Alan was a former taxi driver from Salford who left his job to travel to Syria to take help and take aid to victims of it's civil war.

Like other's before him he was beheaded. What kind of world are we living in?

I know all around the world their has been condemnation about his death, David Cameron and many other political leaders, church leaders of all faiths and people like me and you have spoken with horror at the news.

His family will probably never read my words or those of you who may comment after me .....but I do want to offer my condolences to his family and friends. They are in our thoughts.

Jan
    Paul1976
    Paul1976

Male Posts : 2439

Alan Henning, a good man - our thoughts and condolences. Empty Re: Alan Henning, a good man - our thoughts and condolences.

Post by Paul1976 Sat Oct 04 2014, 16:58

Jan1 wrote:I know this is a low carb diabetes forum but the main news story today has unfortunately been about the death, and not release, of Alan Henning. An ordinary British Man who just wanted to help others. Alan was a former taxi driver from Salford who left his job to travel to Syria to take help and take aid to victims of it's civil war.

Like other's before him he was beheaded. What kind of world are we living in?

I know all around the world their has been condemnation about his death, David Cameron and many other political leaders, church leaders of all faiths and people like me and you have spoken with horror at the news.

His family will probably never read my words or those of you who may comment after me .....but I do want to offer my condolences to his family and friends. They are in our thoughts.

Jan

I just don't get this world at all! Sad Yet again a good person trying to make a difference cruelly slaughtered by extremists in the name of 'Religion' and I've met many people from many faiths and these evil extremists do not represent their faiths in any way whatsoever! My hope is that folks of all different faiths will form a united front against such atrocities and make it clear to those who act out of nothing but pure evil that they are on their own in this world and will be dealt with and receive their 'Just deserts'. Evil or Very Mad
    My thoughts are also with his poor family right now.

Paul
    Andy12345
    Andy12345

Male Posts : 1646

Alan Henning, a good man - our thoughts and condolences. Empty Re: Alan Henning, a good man - our thoughts and condolences.

Post by Andy12345 Sat Oct 04 2014, 19:36

i hate to be a ratbag here, it is sad, yes they are nutters, god help us all but..... im no expert on world affairs, current affairs or anything else, i do on the other hand know to keep my arse out of syria, even if you are doing things like this for the sake of the sick and needy, you have got to know its dangerous, i feel sorry for people that have accidents but not if they died jumping from a plane, i feel sorry for people that get mugged but not if they chose to walk through a housing estate one their own at night, i feel sorry for people that get cancer but not if they smoked for 30 years (like me) so as i said i may be a ratbag but if you do dangerous stuff, bad things can happen, he must have decided it was worth the risk of this happening to fulfill hes desire to help these people, i do however wonder if he could have spent hes days collecting money for them outside the co op
    mo1905
    mo1905

Male Posts : 2305

Post by mo1905 Sat Oct 04 2014, 20:18

I agree with much of what you say Andy as I would never put myself in a situation like that but my guess is although I'm sure he knew there would be risks, I can't for a minute think he would have known he would be kidnapped within 30mins and eventually beheaded.
    Andy12345
    Andy12345

Post by Andy12345 Sat Oct 04 2014, 20:36

yes its awful Sad in the same way if you ran into a burning building to save a kid and died in the fire, you have accepted the risks so its a little less than an accident, its risk you are prepared to take
    zand
    zand

Female Posts : 1940

Post by zand Sat Oct 04 2014, 20:40

My thoughts are also with his family.  Such a tragic loss of life.

Andy - just how much risk is acceptable?   We could die doing almost anything.  I suppose if I get stabbed and die in Istanbul in December you're going to tell my family that's my fault for going there to a football match?  I won't even be there for a good reason like helping people.  Oh, and I've walked on my own at night too, why shouldn't I?  We can't stop doing things because fear stops us.  That's not living.
    Andy12345
    Andy12345

Post by Andy12345 Sat Oct 04 2014, 20:44

you can go for the walk, nothing stopping you, but if god forbid something bad happens youve only yourself to blame, is istanbul dangerous? if so dont go, if you put yourself in danger and get hurt then you deserved it, sorry
    mo1905
    mo1905

Male Posts : 2305

Post by mo1905 Sat Oct 04 2014, 20:48

There's a fine line between living and taking acceptable risks. Should we not drive in the fog ? I've seen many more deaths on the roads than there have been beheadings. One close to home for you Andy, the London Marathon, few deaths and injury there but we don't say "it's their fault". I still agree that unless you're in the military, there are certain places we shouldn't visit but we all take risks everyday.
    Andy12345
    Andy12345

Post by Andy12345 Sat Oct 04 2014, 20:49

for example, im currently putting a roof on my new gym, if i fall off and get hurt tomorow i deserve it, i know its dangerous, i am accepting the risk, would it sad if i fell and died? yes, is it as bad as an out and out accident? no, i will have deserved it for doing something dangerous, now he was doing it for a much more nobel cause and i take my hat off to him, but dont feel as sorry and i would had he been hit by a car on the way to get a paper, he took himself into a war zone full of nutters
    Andy12345
    Andy12345

Post by Andy12345 Sat Oct 04 2014, 20:51

yes i agree Mo, but if i died running the marathon it would have been my own stupid fault, i knew it was dangerous
    Andy12345
    Andy12345

Post by Andy12345 Sat Oct 04 2014, 20:52

its all about the risks we are prepared to take to do what we want to do, he took a big risk knowingly putting himself in harms way, you could argue it was wrong of him to do that and put his family through it
    zand
    zand

Post by zand Sat Oct 04 2014, 20:53

So it was wrong of you to do the marathon and potentially put your family through it too?
    Andy12345
    Andy12345

Post by Andy12345 Sat Oct 04 2014, 20:54

this sounds like im cold blooded, i may be but i feel bad for him and his family, but he died doing what he thought was right, what a great way to go, better than dieing in a hospital bed of cancer, but i cannot be as simpathetic
    zand
    zand

Post by zand Sat Oct 04 2014, 20:54

So do you think going to Galatasaray is an unacceptable risk? What about Roma? Would it have been my fault if I had been stabbed by the ultras? We had to walk through a group of them to get our coach to the stadium.

Was I wrong to go to Dortmund and get a couple of broken bones at a match? Or was that OK because it was 'friendly fire' and I wasn't expecting that?
    Andy12345
    Andy12345

Post by Andy12345 Sat Oct 04 2014, 20:55

sorry im jumping posts out of order, yes it was wrong and selfish from my families point of view, not just the day but the training etc
    Andy12345
    Andy12345

Post by Andy12345 Sat Oct 04 2014, 21:00

lol, it comes down to this, are you doing something or going somewhere dangerous? if so then dont complain if you get hurt, im not saying you shouldnt do it, life is a risk, everytime we eat something we are risking getting choked by it, should we eat anything other than soft food? thats our choice, you know you can choke on solid food yet you choose to take the risk of eating it, its a small risk and one you would consider worth taking, going to a dodgy country to watch 11 blokes kicking a ball around is also an acceptable risk to you, its all about what we consider acceptable or not, if you said to me you were going to syria to help kids, id say well done you....are you mad? would i stop you? no, its your choice, you take the risk and you live with the consequences good or bad, right or wrong
    Andy12345
    Andy12345

Post by Andy12345 Sat Oct 04 2014, 21:01

if he went to syria to watch football, he would not have any simpathy at all, the fact he was doing it for a good cause, he gets my simpathy
    zand
    zand

Post by zand Sat Oct 04 2014, 21:02

Well I'm glad he gets some sympathy from you, and I'll remember not to come crying to you if it all goes badly wrong! Smile
    Andy12345
    Andy12345

Post by Andy12345 Sat Oct 04 2014, 21:04

lol sorry, i do however hope all goes well Smile
    zand
    zand

Post by zand Sat Oct 04 2014, 21:04

yes and tomorrow? What if I get hurt then?
    Andy12345
    Andy12345

Post by Andy12345 Sat Oct 04 2014, 21:05

would you go to syria to watch a football game zand? would you go to help kids? if not why not?
    Andy12345
    Andy12345

Post by Andy12345 Sat Oct 04 2014, 21:07

you believe tomorrow will be dangerous yet your still going, you are accepting the risk is all, its your choice, would i feel terrible if something bad happened? of course but only because i love your gooner ass lol
    zand
    zand

Post by zand Sat Oct 04 2014, 21:12

OK I'll answer these posts in order!!

No I wouldn't go to Syria to watch a football game. It's too dangerous. No I wouldn't go to help kids. I don't feel the urge to do it, so I guess I'm a horrid person. I have stepped in to stop a fight between girls with knives and run after a mugger who stole a handbag. These were spur of the moment decisions. They just happened. But no I'm not the type to go to a dangerous place to help people. I even refused to give money to Syria, although I do give to charities.
    zand
    zand

Post by zand Sat Oct 04 2014, 21:15

I don't think tomorrow will be very dangerous. We cut down the risk by walking the last 3 miles to the ground and then back again after the match. That gives me 6 miles brisk walking exercise too.
    Andy12345
    Andy12345

Post by Andy12345 Sat Oct 04 2014, 21:16

exactly! you wouldnt go to syria because its too dangerous, therfore if you did, you would have to accept the risk, he did and god bless him for it

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Mar 29 2024, 00:25