The Low Carb Diabetic

Promoting a low carb high fat lifestyle for the safe control of diabetes. Eat whole fresh food, more drugs are not the answer.

Welcome to the Low Carb Diabetic forum,have you signed up yet? if not then sign up and join us in the low carb community today!

Technical, engineering and DIY

Long birder

Technical, engineering and DIY

Post by Long birder on Mon Sep 04 2017, 19:37

Hi guys, I thought it would be useful to open a new topic because I know some of you are interested.

Got myself a new phone because I was fed up with my cheap Cubot.

Have any of you got experience with the Motorola G4 5.5 ins? It seems ok.
    Derek

Last edited by Long birder on Wed Sep 06 2017, 10:41; edited 1 time in total
    graham64

Male Posts : 3067

Re: Technical, engineering and DIY

Post by graham64 on Mon Sep 04 2017, 22:32

@Long birder wrote:Hi guys, I thought it would be useful to open a new topic because I know some of you are interested.

Got myself a new phone because I was fed up with my cheap Cubot.

Have any of you got experience with the Motorola G4 5.5 ins.It seems ok.  
    Derek

Hi Derek, I've got the earlier version of Moto G4 had it for over three years with no problems, I might upgrade soon and will probably go for the latest Moto G5

I think Chris has the same model as you, he's had his a few months now so will be able to report on his experience with the phone

Proving the LowCarb sceptics wrong for over nine years,

Not all cherubs are Angels  Wink nor all diabetics Bonkers  Rolling Eyes

Long birder

Post by Long birder on Wed Sep 06 2017, 10:47

Thanks Graham, only one complaint certain app icons appear twice on the apps screen although they are not loaded twice!? Derek
    graham64

Post by graham64 on Wed Sep 06 2017, 22:26

@Long birder wrote:Thanks Graham, only one complaint certain app icons appear twice on the apps screen although they are not loaded twice!?  Derek

That's not happened to me Derek but its easy enough to remove the apps just press and hold the icon then swipe them up to the top of the screen and you should get an option to remove them.

My problem when I first got the phone is that the apps were set for automatic updates which swallowed up my Data  Shocked I now choose which apps I want to update and only when I connected to Wi Fi

chris c

Post by chris c on Wed Sep 06 2017, 23:42

My problem is, my previous phone made calls and went "bleat bleat". This one has so many bells and whistles I still haven't learned to drive it properly. But it does have a pretty excellent camera though, and works well for the price.

(goes off to re-read handbook again)

Long birder

Post by Long birder on Thu Sep 07 2017, 17:34

@graham64 wrote:
    @Long birder wrote:Thanks Graham, only one complaint certain app icons appear twice on the apps screen although they are not loaded twice!?  Derek

That's not happened to me Derek but its easy enough to remove the apps just press and hold the icon then swipe them up to the top of the screen and you should get an option to remove them.

My problem when I first got the phone is that the apps were set for automatic updates which swallowed up my Data  Shocked I now choose which apps I want to update and only when I connected to Wi Fi
    Thanks Graham , I wish it was that easy. Can do that on the home screen but not on apps screen! Will live with it for time being. regards Derek
    graham64

Post by graham64 on Thu Sep 07 2017, 22:25

@Long birder wrote:
    @graham64 wrote:

Thanks Graham , I wish it was that easy. Can do that on the home screen but not on apps screen! Will live with it for time being.  regards Derek

There is also an option to uninstall apps but having tried it just does not work though it does stop them updating, trouble is the phones comes pre-loaded with all the apps most of which I'll never use which is a waste of space

Long birder

Post by Long birder on Fri Oct 06 2017, 14:20

Started on the job of changing some old radiators this week. These jobs seem to get harder and longer when you get to 78. I have to stop this sort of thing! We had a new oil boiler in June and the electrician cocked up the Honeywell Y plan wiring and they were going to spend all sorts of cash changing the three port valve. So I sorted it first. The non aware customer is ripped off something rotten. However this was simple incompetence. Derek

Last edited by Long birder on Sun Oct 08 2017, 19:30; edited 1 time in total
    graham64

Post by graham64 on Fri Oct 06 2017, 22:45

@Long birder wrote:Started on the job of changing some old radiators this week. These jobs seem to get harder and longer when you get to 78.  I have to stop this sort of thing!  We had a new oil boiler in June and the electrician cocked up the Honeywell Y plan wiring and they were going to spend all sorts of cash changing the three point valve.  So I sorted it first. The non aware customer is ripped off something rotten. However this was simple incompetence.  Derek

I count my self lucky in being able to use local tradesmen mostly recommended by family, friends or neighbours, I agree though there are some unscrupulous tradesmen about who will rip off the vulnerable in society

Long birder

Post by Long birder on Sun Oct 08 2017, 19:33

Hi Graham, I reckon this predictive text is a bit of a two edge sword! It change port to point without me noticing.Derek
    graham64

Post by graham64 on Sun Oct 08 2017, 22:30

@Long birder wrote:Hi Graham, I reckon this predictive text is a bit of a two edge sword!  It change port to point without me noticing.Derek

I've got used to it Derek, I do find it helpful now it does appear to store words and names that I frequently use, I always double check before pressing send though  Embarassed

chris c

Post by chris c on Mon Oct 09 2017, 01:13

@Long birder wrote:Hi Graham, I reckon this predictive text is a bit of a two edge sword!  It change port to point without me noticing.Derek

My fingers must have predictive text then, or maybe my brain, my typos are getting worse.
    chris c

Post by chris c on Sun Oct 15 2017, 00:08

I thought things had been a bit quiet, I pressed the wrong tit and turned my voicemail off.
    Jan1

Female Posts : 4269

Post by Jan1 on Tue Oct 17 2017, 16:32

Sorry guys, I'm butting in. LOL!

... I'm not a lover of predictive text!
    But then I do think technology is moving far too fast ... I think it's an age thing Embarassed

All the best Jan
    chris c

Post by chris c on Wed Oct 18 2017, 00:35

Yup, I was one of the first people I knew to go on the internet, back in the days of Compuserve. Now I still have Windows XP. Well I have it set up and locked down pretty well and it does what I want, most of the time anyway. I mostly built a new computer but never got around to finishing it. Soon Windows 7 will be obsolete before I even got around to installing it.

Long birder

Post by Long birder on Wed Oct 18 2017, 07:49

@chris c wrote:Yup, I was one of the first people I knew to go on the internet, back in the days of Compuserve. Now I still have Windows XP. Well I have it set up and locked down pretty well and it does what I want, most of the time anyway. I mostly built a new computer but never got around to finishing it. Soon Windows 7 will be obsolete before I even got around to installing it.

Hi Chris, I also have XP on a desktop. I have found Malware bytes can clean things up AVG fails to find. regards Derek
    graham64

Post by graham64 on Wed Oct 18 2017, 22:17

@Long birder wrote:
    @chris c wrote:Yup, I was one of the first people I knew to go on the internet, back in the days of Compuserve. Now I still have Windows XP. Well I have it set up and locked down pretty well and it does what I want, most of the time anyway. I mostly built a new computer but never got around to finishing it. Soon Windows 7 will be obsolete before I even got around to installing it.

Hi Chris, I also have XP on a desktop.  I have found Malware bytes can clean things up AVG fails to find. regards Derek

My first computer was running MS-DOS and I was using the old dial up system to connect to the internet via madasafish,  I do keep up to date though and now I'm running windows 10

I reckon Malware is a good addition Derek especially as XP is no longer supported by Microsoft

chris c

Post by chris c on Fri Oct 20 2017, 22:16

@graham64 wrote:
    @Long birder wrote:

Hi Chris, I also have XP on a desktop.  I have found Malware bytes can clean things up AVG fails to find. regards Derek

My first computer was running MS-DOS and I was using the old dial up system to connect to the internet via madasafish,  I do keep up to date though and now I'm running windows 10

I reckon Malware is a good addition Derek especially as XP is no longer supported by Microsoft

Oh that takes me back! I'm hearing the dialup modem noises in my head now. First I used Pipex because I had a special offer, then Demon until they disintegrated, then a whole bunch of other ISPs also including Madasafish.

I've stuck with Kaspersky through several generations now, it does what it says on the tin. They used to give away a Norton Uninstaller which I found rather endearing, Peter Norton would be spinning in his grave at what they subsequently did with what were once some world-leading utilities.

How do you rate Windows 10? I've been through DOS 5, Windows 3,1, 96 and one version of 98, I learned way back never to install anything new until the debugged version came out and I heard some horror stories of Windows 10 installing itself unwanted and trashing the previous version so when it inevitably broke you couldn't roll back to anything that worked and had to reinstall EVERYTHING.

Long birder

Post by Long birder on Sat Oct 21 2017, 07:49

I stopped my Windows 7 laptop putting on the free version of Windows 10 when it came out and not regretted it.
    There was a rumour going round that the Russian government had a hand in your virus protection, Chris! Smile. D.
    graham64

Post by graham64 on Sat Oct 21 2017, 22:40

@chris c wrote:
    @graham64 wrote:
    @Long birder wrote:

Oh that takes me back! I'm hearing the dialup modem noises in my head now. First I used Pipex because I had a special offer, then Demon until they disintegrated, then a whole bunch of other ISPs also including Madasafish.

I've stuck with Kaspersky through several generations now, it does what it says on the tin. They used to give away a Norton Uninstaller which I found rather endearing, Peter Norton would be spinning in his grave at what they subsequently did with what were once some world-leading utilities.

How do you rate Windows 10? I've been through DOS 5, Windows 3,1, 96 and one version of 98, I learned way back never to install anything new until the debugged version came out and I heard some horror stories of Windows 10 installing itself unwanted and trashing the previous version so when it inevitably broke you couldn't roll back to anything that worked and had to reinstall EVERYTHING.

When I first subscribed to  Madasafish it was a newish ISP and it was good fun too, I used to get a funny monthly news e-mail from Captain Codpiece  Smile 

I've use BullGuard for a few years not had a problem with viruses so far fingers crossed  bitenails

Windows 10 is OK takes a bit of getting used to but seems stable  despite numerous security updates, I would not install on an older computer using anything less than Win 8.1. 

I was that horror story my laptop running Win 7 got trashed in a download of 10. could not roll back as all the restore points had vanished ended up doing a complete reinstall

graham64

Post by graham64 on Sat Oct 21 2017, 22:45

@Long birder wrote:I stopped my Windows 7 laptop putting on the free version of Windows 10 when it came out and not regretted it.
    There was a rumour going round that the Russian government had a hand in your virus protection, Chris!  Smile. D.

Wish I'd done the same as you Derek  Embarassed

Long birder

Post by Long birder on Sun Oct 22 2017, 13:32

@graham64 wrote:
    @Long birder wrote:I stopped my Windows 7 laptop putting on the free version of Windows 10 when it came out and not regretted it.
    There was a rumour going round that the Russian government had a hand in your virus protection, Chris!  Smile. D.

Have you tried Linux Graham? My son in law insisted on giving me a refurbished Dell netbook the other year. Its quick but has to be driven and one has to think more.
    I have too much kit to keep it all up to scratch.

I should have had a son to do all my maintenance.Smile
    Derek
    chris c

Post by chris c on Sun Oct 22 2017, 22:13

@graham64 wrote:
    I was that horror story my laptop running Win 7 got trashed in a download of 10. could not roll back as all the restore points had vanished ended up doing a complete reinstall

There's a lot of it about Sad

I always set up my computers with a whole bunch of separate data etc. partitions so when I reinstall it only affects the Windows and program partitions. My lappy is fixed so a reinstall takes everything out including partitions, not so clever. One reason I don't use it much, I have to remember to back the data up onto the "mainframe" or my NAS, which currently stopped working due to a disk in the array dying, and like finishing the new computer I didn't get around to fitting the new disk and rebuilding the array yet.

Long birder wrote:

There was a rumour going round that the Russian government had a hand in your virus protection, Chris! Smile. D.

I'd trust them further than I'd trust Trump, and Micro$oft's back doors.
    graham64

Post by graham64 on Sun Oct 22 2017, 22:21

@Long birder wrote:
    @graham64 wrote:

Have you tried Linux Graham? My son in law insisted on giving me a refurbished Dell netbook the other year.  Its quick but has to be driven and one has to think more.
    I have too much kit to keep it all up to scratch.

I should have had a son to do all my maintenance.Smile
    Derek

Never considered Linux Derek besides long past are the days for me to experiment with other operating systems  Sad Windows is far from perfect but better the devil you know

graham64

Post by graham64 on Sun Oct 22 2017, 22:36

@chris c wrote:I always set up my computers with a whole bunch of separate data etc. partitions so when I reinstall it only affects the Windows and program partitions. My lappy is fixed so a reinstall takes everything out including partitions, not so clever. One reason I don't use it much, I have to remember to back the data up onto the "mainframe" or my NAS, which currently stopped working due to a disk in the array dying, and like finishing the new computer I didn't get around to fitting the new disk and rebuilding the array yet

I have a portable USB hard drive for back up I also have plenty of cloud storage that came with both my ISP and my anti virus software if I ever need it but would only store non sensitive stuff like photos and screen shots etc on cloud.

Current date/time is Fri Nov 17 2017, 21:06