THE LOW CARB DIABETIC

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
THE LOW CARB DIABETIC

Promoting a low carb high fat lifestyle for the safe control of diabetes. Eat whole fresh food, more drugs are not the answer.

Welcome to the Low Carb Diabetic forum,have you signed up yet? if not then sign up and join us in the low carb community today!

2 posters

Red Storm

chris c
    chris c

Red Storm Empty Red Storm

Post by chris c Sun Sep 03 2017, 00:20

You have to love local shops where they know what you want before you do.

Normally I go to the farm shop on Thursday or sometimes Friday. The other week I went on Monday.

"What are you doing here?" said the butcher.

"Oh I'm doing all my shopping on the wrong days this week, just to mess with people's heads!"

Recently he was handing out chunks of Red Leicester cheese, which was particularly tasty so I said I'd buy some when I'd finished up my Jarlsberg. I bought my pack of four Gloucester Old Spot sausages and the beautiful Thai lady pointed out she had a pack of five on the counter, so I did a quick swap.

Last time I went in they only had the sausages loose (sold out of pre-packs) so I asked for six. I was looking at the cheeses and she said

"Red Leicester?"

so of course I bought a wedge. It's called Red Storm, particularly flavoursome though a bit strongly salted, and coloured with Anatto (I don't know if that's good for you or not). Hadn't had any for a long time, but it was one of mother's favourites.

I went back last Thursday, picked up a pack of four sausages from the fridge cabinet along with some cold turkey and smoked ham, and a pack of four pheasant breasts.

She pointed out that she had a pack of six sausages on the counter, so I did a quick swap. I suspect she had packed them especially for me, usually they are in fours or fives.

I should marry her . . . except someone got there first . . .
    Jan1
    Jan1

Female Posts : 5094

Red Storm Empty Re: Red Storm

Post by Jan1 Sun Sep 03 2017, 12:10

It's a good while since I bought Red Leicester cheese but with so many different cheese varieties (from all around the world) available in many shops, sometimes it's good to try something new.

You know me! LOL!
    As soon as something different is spotted Mr Google comes into play ...

So having a quick check, this is what I found so far ...

Is it this you may have tasted and bought I wonder?
    A recent addition to the range, and smartly dressed in vivid red wax, Red Storm® boasts serious vintage credentials, aged for typically 18 months creating an intense flavour and refined texture.
    Red Storm® has already made a name for itself, winning a Bronze at the Nantwich International Cheese Awards.
    http://www.snowdoniacheese.co.uk/cheese/red-storm/

More about - Red Leicester (also known simply as Leicester or Leicestershire Cheese) is an English cheese, made in a similar manner to Cheddar cheese, although it is crumblier. Since the 18th century, it has been coloured orange by adding annatto extract during manufacture. It is a cow's milk cheese, originally from Leicestershire, England, and is named after the city of Leicester.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Red_Leicester

Wise Geek - has more details and also about the food additive number used for it is E160b, allowing consumers to identify it on a label even when it is not listed by name. Two compounds give annatto its unique red color: bixin, and norbixin. The compounds are very similar chemically to beta-carotene, the substance that makes carrots orange.
    http://www.wisegeek.org/what-is-annatto.htm

I will have a look out for 'Red Storm' ... when I first saw your thread title I thought you were talking about a sand storm, then I saw it was in the food thread ...

Anyway, good stuff and good read - thanks Chris

All the best Jan
    chris c
    chris c

Post by chris c Sun Sep 03 2017, 20:57

Yes that's it! "intense flavour and refined texture" pretty much sums it up, it's much smoother and less crumbly than the standard Red Leicester and the wax is easier to remove than some cheeses I could mention.

Try it if you see some, I'll be adding it to my regular list which includes but is not limited to Vacherin Mont d'Or (when it becomes available again), Somerset Brie (which I prefer to most of the French ones), assorted cheddars, Cheshire Appleby, Wensleydale, Halloumi (thanks to you) and my local favourite Wells Alpine. And once in a while because it is only available by mail order this far south, Orkney Smoked. Oh I forgot the Jarlsberg, dammit there are so many of them . . .
    Jan1
    Jan1

Female Posts : 5094

Post by Jan1 Tue Sep 05 2017, 19:55

chris c wrote:Yes that's it! "intense flavour and refined texture" pretty much sums it up, it's much smoother and less crumbly than the standard Red Leicester and the wax is easier to remove than some cheeses I could mention.

Try it if you see some, I'll be adding it to my regular list which includes but is not limited to Vacherin Mont d'Or (when it becomes available again), Somerset Brie (which I prefer to most of the French ones), assorted cheddars, Cheshire Appleby, Wensleydale, Halloumi (thanks to you) and my local favourite Wells Alpine. And once in a while because it is only available by mail order this far south, Orkney Smoked. Oh I forgot the Jarlsberg, dammit there are so many of them . . .

I'll certainly keep an eye open when I'm next out stocking up on cheese Smile

With cheeses - a fridge is definitely too empty without them! sunny

All the best Jan
    chris c
    chris c

Post by chris c Wed Sep 06 2017, 22:51

I went in the cheese shop today and for a change from the Red Storm (which they didn't stock - yet) - I bought some Wensleydale which I hadn't had for a while, and some strange South American sheep cheese whose name completely escapes me and isn't on Wikipedia. Oh well I still have some Halloumi which I ate recently as an addition to my Bolognese-type sauce and a tiny serve of rice.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Mar 28 2024, 15:18