THE LOW CARB DIABETIC

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
THE LOW CARB DIABETIC

Promoting a low carb high fat lifestyle for the safe control of diabetes. Eat whole fresh food, more drugs are not the answer.

Welcome to the Low Carb Diabetic forum,have you signed up yet? if not then sign up and join us in the low carb community today!

2 posters

How To Cook Quinoa

chris c
    chris c

How To Cook Quinoa Empty How To Cook Quinoa

Post by chris c Tue Jul 18 2017, 00:25

How To Cook Quinoa Dbtj1610

Actually I had some the other day, sometimes I use small quantities, or even Basmati rice, to soak up the meaty fatty juices from a pheasant stir fry or similar. I may get through a kilo of each a year, a few grams at a time.

Usually I toast the quinoa dry, then add the water and simmer it while doing the rest of the stir-fry.
    Jan1
    Jan1

Female Posts : 5094

How To Cook Quinoa Empty Re: How To Cook Quinoa

Post by Jan1 Wed Jul 19 2017, 18:27

... and there was me thinking I'd see a recipe  lol!

Talking quinoa, it is not something I include in menu plans, although I do know quite a few who enjoy it.

Here are some more details ...

How To Cook Quinoa Quinoa-cropped

Tiny, bead-shaped, with a slightly bitter flavour and firm texture, quinoa may not be a household name just yet, but it is set for a starry future - as far as grains go. The Incas have known it all along, for thousands of years regarding it as the 'mother grain' as they grew it high up in the Andes.
    Unlike wheat or rice, quinoa is a complete protein - containing all eight of the essential amino acids. It has been recognised by the United Nations as a supercrop for its health benefits: packed with dietary fibre, phosphorus, magnesium and iron. It is also gluten-free and easy to digest. The facts suggest it is close to a perfect ingredient as you can get.

Prepare it
    Quinoa is easy to prepare and its fluffy texture and slightly nutty flavour make it an excellent alternative to white rice or couscous. When cooked, its grains quadruple in size and become almost translucent.
    Quinoa can be prepared much like rice. It should usually be rinsed or soaked before use to remove its bitter coating, so check packet instructions. Bring two cups of water to the boil to one cup of grain, cover, simmer and cook for approximately 15 minutes or until the germ separates from the seed. The cooked germ should have a slight bite to it (al dente).

Store it
    Store quinoa in an airtight container in the fridge.

Cook it
    Quinoa can be used in the same way as rice and is great in stuffings, pilafs and breakfast cereals.

Image and details taken from here
    https://www.bbcgoodfood.com/glossary/quinoa

For details about carbs in quinoa, see here
    http://www.fatsecret.co.uk/calories-nutrition/food/quinoa/carbohydrate

All the best Jan
    chris c
    chris c

Post by chris c Wed Jul 19 2017, 22:56

Yes like most grains/seeds it's pretty carby so I only use small quantities. I was turned on to it by a diabetic friend, who found, same as me, that it spikes the meter less than other grains probably due to the protein content. Also it's quite absorbent so does the job I want, soaking up fatty juices, pretty well.

She also found that toasting before boiling was a better and more flavoursome way to deal with the slightly bitter outer coating. Stop before you burn it though!

I simmer it gently and the seeds sort of uncoil and provide more bulk than you might expect. A teaspoonful or two is more than enough. Do not even THINK of cooking a cupfull.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue Mar 19 2024, 02:46