THE LOW CARB DIABETIC

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
THE LOW CARB DIABETIC

Promoting a low carb high fat lifestyle for the safe control of diabetes. Eat whole fresh food, more drugs are not the answer.

Welcome to the Low Carb Diabetic forum,have you signed up yet? if not then sign up and join us in the low carb community today!

3 posters

The insulin level test.

Eddie
    Eddie

Male Posts : 3807

The insulin level test. Empty The insulin level test.

Post by Eddie Fri Jun 02 2017, 23:09

Imagine if we had a test that could give up to ten years advance warning of insulin resistance, arguably the most common medical condition in the developed world. Insulin resistance is the cause of type two diabetes, heart disease, some cancers, alzheimer's and almost all chronic degenerative diseases. I will let you into a secret, we have had such a test for years, it’s called the plasma insulin level test.

Most people including many medical professionals believe mistakenly, diabetes and its symptoms is caused by a lack of insulin. Why that is the case with type one diabetes, it is usually the opposite with type two diabetes. It is common to find a heavily overweight type two diabetic at diagnosis, to have up to three times the blood insulin levels as a slim non diabetic. Clearly the last thing these people need is more insulin, but so often, these people are prescribed more insulin. Would you try to cure an alcoholic with more booze, or a drug addict with more heroin?

Without insulin we die, the same is true regarding too much insulin, it’s just a matter of timing. The fact is, hundreds of millions of people are walking around with dangerously elevated levels of naturally produced insulin, and most don't even know it. When I was diagnosed with type two diabetes, my blood glucose level was HbA1c 12. I had more chance of winning the lottery, than avoiding serious diabetic complications, running that sort of blood glucose number long term. My problem was not lack of insulin, if it had been, I could never have reversed my diabetes, and got back to non diabetic blood glucose levels, within three months of a low carb higher healthy fat diet.

The insulin level test. High%2Binsulin

At this stage, you may be wondering, why all people are not offered a plasma insulin test at regular interval's. This was a question I asked an expert on diabetes around nine years ago. I was told it would be far too expensive. I responded, but it could give people so much early warning, and they could make lifestyle changes, and avoid so much chronic disease. How naive I was when I said, the test can't be that expensive, to be told. "We would find so many diabetics, the NHS would collapse under the financial burden"

So there you have it. The term "kicking the can down the road" applies well I think. Couple that jaundiced attitude and junk food and big pharma spending $billions on lying propaganda, and you have the crazy world of diabetes. It's money for old rope, everyone wins, except you, your family and friends.
    chris c
    chris c

The insulin level test. Empty Re: The insulin level test.

Post by chris c Sat Jun 03 2017, 22:17

The excuse I've heard is that it is irrelevant because "it won't change the treatment" - ie. a high carb low fat diet and increasing drugs leading inexorably to insulin "in five to ten years". Totally clueless, saving pennies to squander pounds, unless of course they actually ARE trying to kill us off prematurely which would save money in the long run.

Of course it WOULD change the treatment of everyone wrongly diagnosed as Type 2 when they are actually adult onset Type 1/LADA.

In the Real World it is vital, see Benjamin Bikman, Ted Naiman and many others on Twitter and elsewhere, hyperinsulinemia/IR is behind pretty much all "diseases of civilisation" and there are now hundreds if not thousands of studies that back that statement.

"Of course insulin can't make you fat, it has no calories!" - a dietician. Just a bit of cognitive dissonance there.
    graham64
    graham64

Male Posts : 3730

Post by graham64 Sun Jun 04 2017, 22:17

This Brazilian paper is on the ball

Subclinical Diabetes

ABSTRACT

Type 2 diabetes mellitus (T2DM) is increasing in prevalence worldwide, and those non-diagnosed or misdiagnosed comprise a significant group compared to those diagnosed. Accumulated scientific evidence indicate that the current diagnostic markers (fasting glycemia, 2h glycemia after an oral glucose load and HbA1c) are indeed late diagnostic criteria when considering the incidence of diabetes-related complications and comorbidities, which are also at high risk in some groups among normoglycemic individuals. Additionally, the earlier identification of future risk of diabetes is desirable since it would allow better adherence to preventive actions such as lifestyle intervention, ultimately avoiding complications and minimizing the economic impact/burden on health care expenses. Insulin resistance and hyperhormonemia (insulin, amylin, glucagon) are non-disputable hallmarks of T2DM, which already takes place among these normoglycemic, otherwise health subjects, characterizing a state of subclinical diabetes. Insulin resistance and hyperinsulinemia can be computed from fasting plasma insulin as an independent variable in normoglycemia. An overview of the current diagnostic criteria, disease onset, complications, comorbidities and perspectives on lifestyle interventions are presented. A proposal for early detection of subclinical diabetes from routine evaluation of fasting plasma insulin, which is affordable and robust and thus applicable for the general population, is further suggested.

Full text:  http://www.scielo.br/scielo.php?script=sci_arttext&pid=S0001-37652017000200591&lng=en&tlng=en
    Eddie
    Eddie

Male Posts : 3807

Post by Eddie Mon Jun 05 2017, 18:21

graham64 wrote:This Brazilian paper is on the ball

Subclinical Diabetes

ABSTRACT

Type 2 diabetes mellitus (T2DM) is increasing in prevalence worldwide, and those non-diagnosed or misdiagnosed comprise a significant group compared to those diagnosed. Accumulated scientific evidence indicate that the current diagnostic markers (fasting glycemia, 2h glycemia after an oral glucose load and HbA1c) are indeed late diagnostic criteria when considering the incidence of diabetes-related complications and comorbidities, which are also at high risk in some groups among normoglycemic individuals. Additionally, the earlier identification of future risk of diabetes is desirable since it would allow better adherence to preventive actions such as lifestyle intervention, ultimately avoiding complications and minimizing the economic impact/burden on health care expenses. Insulin resistance and hyperhormonemia (insulin, amylin, glucagon) are non-disputable hallmarks of T2DM, which already takes place among these normoglycemic, otherwise health subjects, characterizing a state of subclinical diabetes. Insulin resistance and hyperinsulinemia can be computed from fasting plasma insulin as an independent variable in normoglycemia. An overview of the current diagnostic criteria, disease onset, complications, comorbidities and perspectives on lifestyle interventions are presented. A proposal for early detection of subclinical diabetes from routine evaluation of fasting plasma insulin, which is affordable and robust and thus applicable for the general population, is further suggested.

Full text:  http://www.scielo.br/scielo.php?script=sci_arttext&pid=S0001-37652017000200591&lng=en&tlng=en

Great find Graham. A post placed today on our blog today.

Monday, 5 June 2017
    The insulin test part 2.
    Following on from my post the insulin test.

Around eight or nine years ago, on a UK forum, that describes itself as the worlds largest diabetes forum, I brought up the subject of plasma insulin testing. This test can predict type two diabetes, and other serious metabolic medical problems, years before symptoms and diagnosis takes place. A moderator accused me of being a scaremonger. His take on the situation was people would be worried about knowing in advance, about a future serious chronic disease, and why cause alarm about a condition they could not control. Needless to say this person was a staunch low carb anti, and not the brightest of individuals. It was beyond his, and many other members of the forum, to realise the value of seeing into the future, and making changes well in advance to influence future health outcomes.

"If I have seen further, it is by standing upon the shoulders of giants" Sir Isaac Newton

Years ago I was telling all who would listen, about the importance of this test. I think it is fair to say, very few medical professionals, have taken this fact in even now. Don't get me wrong, I have neither the medical training or the intellect to have worked this out for myself. That being said, I believe I have a knack of knowing who does have the knowledge, experience and grey matter, to know the answers, and one of those people is the US Dr.Richard Bernstein. It was from Bernstein I learned of the importance of the plasma insulin test.

When I wrote the first insulin test post, I was unaware of the (May 2017) paper below. It was brought to my attention over the weekend by Graham, a fellow type two diabetic and member of this blog. A small extract.

The insulin level test. Plasma%2Binsluin%2Btest

In my opinion, and others far more knowledgeable than me, Bernstein is the worlds leading authority on blood glucose control for diabetics. Few will be surprised to learn, he is regarded by many medical professionals and dietitians as a maverick. The fact is he is a genius, his methods are rock solid sound. He has been the salvation of countless diabetics all across the world. It appears to be, beyond the comprehension of his critics, that Bernstein has been a type one diabetic since childhood, and is still fit and working at 80 years of age. Most type one diabetics from Bernstein's generation died decades ago. It will also come as no surprise to learn, Bernstein has excellent control of his diabetes by way of a low carb lifestyle. He has no choice, because nothing else works.

Some old timers from the flog, may remember my run in with the mod Tubolard aka Carbophile on this subject. One of the many complete oafs the flog has made mods over the years.
    graham64
    graham64

Male Posts : 3730

Post by graham64 Mon Jun 05 2017, 21:58

Plasma insulin tests should be the way forward the cost savings in the long term could be substantial, as it stands when the so called pre-diabetes is diagnosed it's far to late to be reversed
    chris c
    chris c

Post by chris c Mon Jun 05 2017, 22:22

Brilliant! Hadn't seen that one yet.

Talking of the Flog, you'll remember this one

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3168743/

Here's a similar new study from Canada

http://www.ctvnews.ca/health/type-2-diabetes-can-be-reversed-say-canadian-researchers-1.3399207

actual study here

https://academic.oup.com/jcem/article-abstract/doi/10.1210/jc.2016-3373/3070517/Piloting-a-Remission-Strategy-in-Type-2-Diabetes?redirectedFrom=fulltext

the lengths some people will go to to emulate the effect of low carb without actually reducing carbs.

Another

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4079942/

which agrees with what I've been doing for years, except I generally eat breakfast and supper, and breakfast is pretty minimal.

Way back to fifteen years ago people were routinely doing this on usenet and in forums, using postmeal testing and carb reduction (I prefer to say "controlled" rather than reversed) and by then many of them had been doing it for years if not decades - some aided by the fact that it was SOP way back when they were diagnosed. Another case of "science" rediscovering what was previously known and then discarded.

https://twitter.com/BenBikmanPhD/status/795677965551964160

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Mar 29 2024, 07:29