THE LOW CARB DIABETIC

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
THE LOW CARB DIABETIC

Promoting a low carb high fat lifestyle for the safe control of diabetes. Eat whole fresh food, more drugs are not the answer.

Welcome to the Low Carb Diabetic forum,have you signed up yet? if not then sign up and join us in the low carb community today!

+2
Eddie
Paul1976
6 posters

Summer - It's Official

Paul1976
    Paul1976

Male Posts : 2439

Summer - It's Official - Page 2 Empty Re: Summer - It's Official

Post by Paul1976 Sat Jun 24 2017, 14:55

Eddie wrote:
    Paul1976 wrote:
    graham64 wrote:Much cooler here had a decent sleep last night after a few uncomfortable nights  Smile

Same here Graham,4 days of no sleep and sweating like a glass blowers arse...19 degrees with a breeze now and sleeping like a baby. thumb-up

Jeez Paul I thought I spent too much time on social media, but I do stop posting when I am asleep affraid Posted at 4.22 was that a late night or an early morning. We need to be told mrgreen

HaHaHa! I really should proof read my posts at times! lol! It was a late (And very p*ssed) one last night as you would expect from the likes of me! beer vodkamachine
    Eddie
    Eddie

Male Posts : 3807

Post by Eddie Sat Jun 24 2017, 17:06

Paul1976 wrote:
    Eddie wrote:
    Paul1976 wrote:
    graham64 wrote:Much cooler here had a decent sleep last night after a few uncomfortable nights  Smile

Same here Graham,4 days of no sleep and sweating like a glass blowers arse...19 degrees with a breeze now and sleeping like a baby. thumb-up

Jeez Paul I thought I spent too much time on social media, but I do stop posting when I am asleep affraid Posted at 4.22 was that a late night or an early morning. We need to be told mrgreen

HaHaHa! I really should proof read my posts at times! lol!  It was a late (And very p*ssed) one last night as you would expect from the likes of me! beer vodkamachine

Pissed again what's new? I told you hanging around with Jim Beam and Jack Daniels was a mistake, but you wouldn't have it. It's people like you get us low carbers a bad name, and why all those carb munching, sugar swilling, rabid antis think we are all alcoholics. To be fair, Graham and Chris aren't much better. I never drink more than my Doctor freakout

Summer - It's Official - Page 2 77874
    graham64
    graham64

Male Posts : 3730

Post by graham64 Sat Jun 24 2017, 22:56

Eddie wrote:
    Paul1976 wrote:
    Eddie wrote:
    Paul1976 wrote:

HaHaHa! I really should proof read my posts at times! lol!  It was a late (And very p*ssed) one last night as you would expect from the likes of me! beer vodkamachine

Pissed again what's new? I told you hanging around with Jim Beam and Jack Daniels was a mistake, but you wouldn't have it. It's people like you get us low carbers a bad name, and why all those carb munching, sugar swilling, rabid antis think we are all alcoholics. To be fair, Graham and Chris aren't much better. I never drink more than my Doctor freakout

At least Paul's got youth on his side unlike me Eddie and Chris, gone are the days when I could stay out drinking to the early hours Sad
    chris c
    chris c

Post by chris c Sun Jun 25 2017, 00:12

I used to drink until I was anyone's but they seldom wanted me. Now it's two glasses of red wine and a choice of hands. Sigh.
    Paul1976
    Paul1976

Male Posts : 2439

Post by Paul1976 Sun Jun 25 2017, 18:05

graham64 wrote:
    Eddie wrote:
    Paul1976 wrote:
    Eddie wrote:
    Paul1976 wrote:

At least Paul's got youth on his side unlike me Eddie and Chris, gone are the days when I could stay out drinking to the early hours Sad

Summer - It's Official - Page 2 Z

Don't worry Graham,youth sadly didn't prevent me looking and feeling like this Saturday morning. sick  stretcher
    graham64
    graham64

Post by graham64 Sun Jun 25 2017, 22:07

I know the feeling Paul only to well probably why I don't overindulge these days, in my younger days I soon recovered and was up for a session the following day, now though it takes a lot longer to get back to normal  Sad
    Eddie
    Eddie

Male Posts : 3807

Post by Eddie Sun Jun 25 2017, 23:56

graham64 wrote:I know the feeling Paul only to well probably why I don't overindulge these days, in my younger days I soon recovered and was up for a session the following day, now though it takes a lot longer to get back to normal  Sad

Hi boys. Can you remember the days when we could drink ten pints with ten Jim Beam chasers and still be up for a fight? I'll be buggered if I can. mrgreen
    graham64
    graham64

Post by graham64 Mon Jun 26 2017, 22:17

Eddie wrote:
    graham64 wrote:I know the feeling Paul only to well probably why I don't overindulge these days, in my younger days I soon recovered and was up for a session the following day, now though it takes a lot longer to get back to normal  Sad

Hi boys. Can you remember the days when we could drink ten pints with ten Jim Beam chasers and still be up for a fight? I'll be buggered if I can. mrgreen  

Yes I can remember but I would have been incapable of fisticuffs  bitenails
    chris c
    chris c

Post by chris c Tue Jun 27 2017, 01:02

Oh let's talk about butterflies instead! Absolutely loads of them about this year, and in the last couple of weeks I'm hearing grasshoppers. At my age it's always a good sign when you can still hear grasshoppers. Not so good when you can hear them and there aren't any though . . .
    Jan1
    Jan1

Female Posts : 5094

Post by Jan1 Tue Jun 27 2017, 18:43

I love seeing butterflies ...

They would have got rather wet today, lots of lovely rain this afternoon, the garden is loving it ... just don't tell the lawn, it may encourage it to grow lol!

All the best Jan
    chris c
    chris c

Post by chris c Thu Jun 29 2017, 22:07

Yes it absolutely tipped it down most of the night. Last few days have been sunnier but cold again, or cloudy but cold.

Sprayer was out in the barley the other day - glyphosate - which means the combine is imminent. Elsewhere I saw some fields which had actually been harvested already, they got in before the rains came. As I write the sprayer is out in the rape in the next field - which belongs to the next farm, big fields around these parts.

There's a huge manure pile just down the lane, ready to be spread on the stubble. This is probably why I was inundated with flies during the hot spell, I got maggots in the garbage Sad

I even got maggots in the veggie waste before I tipped it in the compost bins.

Not quite as nice as butterflies.
    graham64
    graham64

Post by graham64 Thu Jun 29 2017, 22:21

Feels more like early March here lots of rain and cold my car was showing just12 degrees at noon and the sun is a distant memory, supposed to warm up a bit over the weekend but little in the way of sunshine  Sad
    chris c
    chris c

Post by chris c Thu Jun 29 2017, 22:47

Yeah I put a denim shirt on over my T shirt just to go to the shops, and half wished I'd dug my winter woolly back out. A year of extremes.
    Jan1
    Jan1

Post by Jan1 Fri Jun 30 2017, 14:09

Yes, I put a light-weight jacket on when I went out.
    Cooler nights are just so much better for sleeping though.

Our neighbour was out cutting his grass earlier this morning, with just a slight grumble abut how it had grown ...

With summer festivals and carnivals around, I hope the weather stays dry for the weekend.

All the best Jan
    chris c
    chris c

Post by chris c Sun Jul 02 2017, 22:28

Well the last couple of days haven't been too bad, leisurely walk weather and sitting here and there catching some rays. Glastonbury seems to have avoided the usual mud bath, what will Wimbledon bring?
    graham64
    graham64

Post by graham64 Sun Jul 02 2017, 23:18

Not been to bad here either plenty of sunshine Cool  but still a chilly breeze taking the edge of the temperature, but at least the gardens starting to dry out will get the mower out tomorrow before the next rain forecast for Tuesday  Sad
    chris c
    chris c

Post by chris c Wed Jul 05 2017, 21:41

Combine's out in the barley even as I write. They started pretty late in the day (probably finishing another field somewhere else, the guy who contracts here has his own farm a few villages away and does contract work on several others). Now it'll probably run on into the night trying to finish before the predicted thunderstorms.

Oh I just went to look because I could no longer hear it and it's parked up with the grain tank folded down. Either the top half of the field isn't ripe yet or the driver ran out of hours.

While I was there the Barn Owl just drifted by and is quartering the field, and in the distance three jets, probably USAF, went past. I wonder who the orange guy i going to invade next, North Korea's a bit of a long haul from here.

Think I'll get my head down early too in case the thunderstorms wake me up early.
    chris c
    chris c

Post by chris c Sat Jul 08 2017, 22:32

Spectacular storm, most of the rain and thunder out to the west and passed to the south, but there were some HUGE ground strikes out to the east, some very close, from a very high cloudbase with no rain at all. Bad enough that I unplugged the router and TV aerials.

The engineer's van came out and attended to the combine, which got going and finished the field the folllowing day. It's barely a year old, but high tech machines have high tech faults. The classic Little Grey Fergie tractor came with a double-ended spanner and a screwdriver, with which you could fix most everything. Now they are completely computerised with hydraulic drives and systems and are usually "repaired" by swapping out PCBs and non-user-serviceable parts.

The last few days have been warmer and sunnier. I went for some leisurely walks. One got aborted early, my bootlace came undone so I sat on a grassy bank to do it up, then decided to have a cigarette (yes I know!) then the local farmer showed up with his combine so I stayed sat there watching from a respectful distance. It was a Lexion, noted for generating huge palls of dust

Summer - It's Official - Page 2 2009_010

but the latest versions seem to have fixed the problem by turning the cooling system through 90 degrees so the air is sucked in at the top and blown down the sides, keeping the dust cloud in.

They took a cut out of the edge of the field and then sampled the crop. Either it was too damp or too unripe as they left the combine and drove back to the farm in the tractor and nearly empty grain trailer.

I stayed sat there waiting for a couple of cute girls with their babies in buggies to pass so I could have a piss. They asked if I was all right, which was sweet, so I explained, except for the bit about the piss. I think they were some kind of East European, heart-shaped faces and flashing dark eyes, probably came over to pick asparagus or something and married farmers or farm workers.

I wonder if these guys came over to play at the weddings

After all the excitement I was inexorably drawn back to my car by the lamb chops and broccoli I bought earlier, so I drove home and scoffed them with the usual thickly buttered oatcake and glass of Malbec.
    Jan1
    Jan1

Post by Jan1 Tue Jul 11 2017, 23:57

rain

rain

Summer was cancelled today
    Had to find the umbrella !

All the best Jan
    chris c
    chris c

Post by chris c Thu Jul 13 2017, 21:52

Yes, thunder stayed in the distance but the rain was non-stop.

Next day there were even puddles on one of the commons which is sand and pebbles. Once it was the beach, complete with shingle bank. Now it's several miles inland. Over the centuries some of the new land has been washed away again by the sea, including most of Dunwich

Which reminds me, we were on holiday here in August 1987 when there was a freak local hailstorm. We saw it coming over the estuary at Iken

Summer - It's Official - Page 2 27_2410

I got a really bad feeling about it and we rapidly drove home and got the car into the garage just as the heavens opened and it turned black as night, except for the non-stop lightning, and the hail roared down so loud we could hardly hear ourselves talk. After it passed the ground was several inches deep in hail, it looked like midwinter. Cars and roofs were damaged, some of the hail bounced so high it chipped the paint off the bottom of the windowframes. and when we went out the following day there was a trail of destruction about a mile wide and several miles long across the countryside where the fields were thrashed and all the leaves torn off the hedges and trees. Either side it all looked completely normal.

That was a forerunner of the Great Storm that October. Ye gods, thirty years ago and I remember it like it was yesterday. What I did yesterday, I forget . . .
    graham64
    graham64

Post by graham64 Thu Jul 13 2017, 22:22

We had constant rain throughout Tuesday and it was chilly but the last two days have been glorious  sunny sunny
    chris c
    chris c

Post by chris c Thu Jul 13 2017, 22:37

Oh yes I remember now, it's been mostly sunny with clouds but I wouldn't exactly call it "glorious".

I suppose you have to have good weather occasionally up there in the Pennines, just so you know what you're missing the rest of the time.
    graham64
    graham64

Post by graham64 Thu Jul 13 2017, 23:01

chris c wrote:Oh yes I remember now, it's been mostly sunny with clouds but I wouldn't exactly call it "glorious".

I suppose you have to have good weather occasionally up there in the Pennines, just so you know what you're missing the rest of the time.

I don't need reminding Chris on average temps up north are far lower than the south  Sad gets even worse the further north you go
    chris c
    chris c

Post by chris c Thu Jul 13 2017, 23:23

Old joke from Cumbria, also found in parts of Wales

"If you can see the top of the fell it's going to rain soon. If you can't, it's already raining"

Similar old joke from Oregon and surrounding area

"Seattle Rainfest enters third week. Only 48 weeks still to go"

Technically this is the driest part of the UK but we have some weird local weather variations as the predominant westerlies meet the sea breeze from the east. Further inland in the Brecks there have been frosts in every month of the year. Even weirder stuff when I lived east of Gatwick, the westerly weather was pushed south around the edge of Leith Hill out to the west, then met the rising heat from the runways and jets at the airport, and probably the water vapour coming off the surrounding water, and started off very localised thunderstorms.

There the worst storms usually came from the south on a "Spanish plume", here they often come from the west as humidity builds up from the fens then gets stopped by the easterly off the sea.

Bristol was weird too, if it was hit by a storm it would get trapped in a basin between all the hills and rumble around in circles for ages.

At least you guys are used to the snow, half an inch down south and everything grinds to a halt like the world was ending. You just go fetch your coats.
    graham64
    graham64

Post by graham64 Thu Jul 13 2017, 23:38

Actually surprising as it may seem we do get better weather here in Lancs than they do in Cumbria the Lake District is a good example of that

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Mar 28 2024, 17:26