THE LOW CARB DIABETIC

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
THE LOW CARB DIABETIC

Promoting a low carb high fat lifestyle for the safe control of diabetes. Eat whole fresh food, more drugs are not the answer.

Welcome to the Low Carb Diabetic forum,have you signed up yet? if not then sign up and join us in the low carb community today!

+2
chris c
Jan1
6 posters

What should you feed your cat?

Jan1
    Jan1

Female Posts : 5094

What should you feed your cat? Empty What should you feed your cat?

Post by Jan1 Fri Mar 31 2017, 13:11

Cats are a very popular pet, but they too can get diabetes.
    If you have a cat, or know someone who has, then this article may be of interest ...

These words are from Emma at The Diabetes Diet Blog

"What should you feed your cat?

I’m wandering a bit off topic this week, but having written a post on the raw food diet for dogs for a client of mine, I researched the same diet for cats.

Sometimes called the BARF diet (biologically appropriate raw feeding), raw food for dogs and cats is a growing movement. Just as humans don’t thrive on processed, preservative-laden foods, neither do our feline chums.
    My cat has always been a puker. You can buy cat food that claims to be good for sensitive stomachs, but Freddie manages to vomit that up too. He’s also overweight by the human equivalent of about one and a half to two stones.

Cheaper vet bills

As I’m very fond of my cat, I’d like him to live a long, healthy life. A less noble motivation is cheaper vet bills. A slimmer, healthier cat won’t be as at risk of diabetes, lower urinary tract disease, joint stress, hepatic lipidosis (fat deposited in the liver), and decreased stamina – the same conditions that overweight humans face.

Cat food is a modern product. Dog food was invented in the 1860s, so presumably, cat food was created then or some time afterwards. Until that time, cats in a household made do with the food they could hunt and kill, anything they could scavenge and occasional scraps from the table.

There are various blogs and books you can buy that explain why a raw food diet is beneficial for cats. Primarily, it gives cats what they are meant to eat. If you’ve ever read the ingredients in cat food, you’ll have thought to yourself, I’ve never seen a cat eat rice, vegetables or whatever else they list as a benefit. And most cat food is likely to be loaded with preservatives. Have you ever noticed the use-by dates on those packets?

Dry food tends to be high in carbohydrates, and again cats aren’t designed to cope with that kind of food.

What’s in a raw food diet?

What do you feed a cat on a raw food diet? And how much of it? The recommendations generally say you feed the cat about 5 percent weight of his optimal body weight – 250g for a 5kg cat – in raw food.

Food choices should be raw meat and fish, and meaty bones. Cat owners have been told to feed their pets bones, but this applies to cooked bones as heating changes their structure and makes them more likely to splinter. Organ meats are another good choice, and you can also try the frozen mice pet shops sell for reptiles*.

The cost is obviously a factor. Raw meat is going to be more expensive than cat food, and less convenient. You need to store it, and the best way to keep it fresh is to bag it up and put it in the freezer. You must also pay strict attention to hygiene.

Cats don’t like change. It takes patience too. My cat worked out how to manipulate me expertly years ago. I put down the raw food, and he jumps up onto the counter under the cupboard where I stored the cat food and looks at it and me pitifully. I’ve moved him from the human equivalent of eating McDonald’s every day, to a chicken and broccoli diet.

I’m hoping to report back great results soon, though. At the very least, getting my cat to his optimal weight would be a worthwhile achievement.

The usual disclaimer applies.
    I’m not a vet or cat expert, so if you want to feed your pet a raw food diet, please do your own research and speak to your vet.

*The frozen mouse option is a step too far for me…"

https://diabetesdietblog.com/2017/03/29/raw-food-diets-for-cats/
    chris c
    chris c

What should you feed your cat? Empty Re: What should you feed your cat?

Post by chris c Fri Mar 31 2017, 23:39

One of the big disadvantages of vets being divided into small animal and large animal practices - the latter know that feeding grains is specifically used to fatten animals, and overfeeding grains especially wheat will make them ill. Small animal vets, not so much.
    Jan1
    Jan1

Female Posts : 5094

Post by Jan1 Sat Apr 01 2017, 11:14

Vets do not come cheap!
    Or so many friends and family tell me ...

I admit the only pets we've ever had are a guinea pig, a rabbit and fish.

I believe most people take out a vet insurance policy, but I would think feeding animals wisely must certainly help with keeping medical costs down Question

All the best Jan
    chris c
    chris c

Post by chris c Mon Apr 03 2017, 00:21

Which is presumably why vets push high carb pet food.

What should you feed your cat? C6cyow11
    graham64
    graham64

Male Posts : 3730

Post by graham64 Tue Apr 04 2017, 22:38

chris c wrote:Which is presumably why vets push high carb pet food.

What should you feed your cat? C6cyow11
    Wow now that's one really fat cat, probably owned by a dietitian and fed plenty of wholegrains
    Andy12345
    Andy12345

Male Posts : 1646

Post by Andy12345 Wed Apr 05 2017, 16:51

we had 4 cats two weeks ago, sadly only 3 now, they only eat biscuit, a pure carb diet lol

we also have a snake and gecko, or at least my kids do, they are the opposite, meal worms and locusts for the gecko and dead mice for the snake

all seem pretty happy with their meals hehe

we are getting a puppy now against my better judgement, i look at it buying a broken heart, but the missus and kids want one so here we go again, i may try and make the dog low carb as our beagle was a pudding
    chris c
    chris c

Post by chris c Fri Apr 07 2017, 00:44

Feed the snake and geckos to the cats. Feed the cats to the dog. Sorted!
    Andy12345
    Andy12345

Post by Andy12345 Fri Apr 07 2017, 04:52

Lol then we could eat the dog? Low carb, low cost, I love it Smile I'm gonna run it by the kids
    Derek
    Derek

Post by Derek Fri Apr 07 2017, 14:20

Cats and birds don't mix. I know someone who had a fortification of pointed sticks around the bird table to make cats think twice before impalement.
    Andy12345
    Andy12345

Post by Andy12345 Fri Apr 07 2017, 16:47

my wife decided to feed the birds in our garden, seriously, she starting feeding the birds with 4 cats living in the house, she wouldn't hear of it being a baiting birds exercise, until we had 2 dead birds in the garden dismembered

the worrying thing is she is a school teacher, thankfully for the kids she hasn't worked since we started making babies
    graham64
    graham64

Male Posts : 3730

Post by graham64 Fri Apr 07 2017, 21:58

Andy12345 wrote:my wife decided to feed the birds in our garden, seriously, she starting feeding the birds with 4 cats living in the house, she wouldn't hear of it being a baiting birds exercise, until we had 2 dead birds in the garden dismembered

the worrying thing is she is a school teacher, thankfully for the kids she hasn't worked since we started making babies

Well birds are low carb should be a healthy diet for cats  Cool
    Eddie
    Eddie

Male Posts : 3807

Post by Eddie Sat Apr 08 2017, 11:51

Andy12345 wrote:my wife decided to feed the birds in our garden, seriously, she starting feeding the birds with 4 cats living in the house, she wouldn't hear of it being a baiting birds exercise, until we had 2 dead birds in the garden dismembered

Andy, when are you going to stop trying to fathom the unfathomable? Any man who reckons he understands women, is either seriously deluded, or a likely future candidate for gender reassignment, a lot of that lark around these days. facepalm
    chris c
    chris c

Post by chris c Mon Apr 10 2017, 00:30

One place I lived was a huge house,divided up into flats, bedsits and part run as a B&B by the landlord and landlady, plus varying numbers of daughters.

They had two ex-farm cats (they kept pigs before turning to humans) and various other tenants had cats too, so I had not a few of them come and visit me, and bring me presents like headless mice, and birds.

One of them went out onto the roof and returned with a bat. It was playing with it for ages before the bat started struggling Sad Before that I assumed it was dead. It was soon afterwards. Sad Sad

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Mar 28 2024, 15:10