THE LOW CARB DIABETIC

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
THE LOW CARB DIABETIC

Promoting a low carb high fat lifestyle for the safe control of diabetes. Eat whole fresh food, more drugs are not the answer.

Welcome to the Low Carb Diabetic forum,have you signed up yet? if not then sign up and join us in the low carb community today!

3 posters

Type 1 seven years low carb

graham64
    graham64

Male Posts : 3730

Type 1 seven years low carb  Empty Type 1 seven years low carb

Post by graham64 Wed Mar 29 2017, 22:38

Jan1
    Jan1

Female Posts : 5094

Type 1 seven years low carb  Empty Re: Type 1 seven years low carb

Post by Jan1 Fri Jun 23 2017, 20:41

I know I am not a diabetic, but I missed this when you originally posted it ...

I did like Ryan's reply to this question ...

"Is low-carb eating challenging for you?
    Not at all. I love the food I eat! For example today for breakfast I had a veggie omelet. Lunch was a chipotle chorizo salad (hold the rice and beans), and dinner will be salmon, steamed veggies with butter and some cauliflower “rice.” Great, healthy food and my numbers will be in the 80s all day. I take small doses of R Insulin (an older, gentler insulin that covers protein perfectly) with each meal."

Use Graham's link (above) if you haven't yet read this post ...

All the best Jan
    chris c
    chris c

Post by chris c Sat Jun 24 2017, 23:08

Interesting as always. I can remember not a few other American Type 1 low carbers reverting to R insulin which is (was?) relatively cheap and widely available. Haven't heard of this much in the UK.

Someone made the point that the current bolus insulins were specifically designed for high carb diets, with a much faster spike and drop, and that was given as a reason to eat high carb, "to match the insulin", rather than match the insulin to the diet.
    graham64
    graham64

Male Posts : 3730

Post by graham64 Sat Jun 24 2017, 23:20

Fergus is another long term T1 low carber and Dr's Troy Stapleton and Ian Lake have a few years under the belt
    chris c
    chris c

Post by chris c Sat Jun 24 2017, 23:42

Oh yes, I knew a number of others all with enviable A1cs, many better than yours or mine. Several had also reverted to Beef Lente for basal, still available here although many doctors and even endos will claim otherwise, but made illegal in the States - except it can be imported on completion of much paperwork, the drug companies push Lantus and Levemir which are much more profitable, strange that! Scary how they have been jacking up the insulin prices recently, despite having a captive market in Type 1s and a massively increasing market of Type 2, some of which take comparatively huge doses. They are also increasing sales of Type 2 drugs to Type 1s as the recommended high carb diet jacks up insulin resistance.

I even came across a few Joslin Medalists who had had Type 1 for over 50 years.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 19 2024, 09:49