The Low Carb Diabetic

Promoting a low carb high fat lifestyle for the safe control of diabetes. Eat whole fresh food, more drugs are not the answer.


Welcome to the Low Carb Diabetic forum,have you signed up yet? if not then sign up and join us in the low carb community today!

    Shifting Focus From Glycemic Status to Insulin Homeostasis for Stemming Global Tides of Hyperinsulinism and Type 2 Diabetes

    Share
    avatar
    yoly
    Member

    Status :
    Online
    Offline

    Posts : 474
    Join date : 2014-08-14

    Shifting Focus From Glycemic Status to Insulin Homeostasis for Stemming Global Tides of Hyperinsulinism and Type 2 Diabetes

    Post by yoly on Mon Mar 13 2017, 08:05

    You can read the whole study here very interesting :
    http://www.townsendletter.com/Jan2017/insulin0117.html

    Shifting Focus From Glycemic Status to Insulin Homeostasis for Stemming Global Tides of Hyperinsulinism and Type 2 Diabetes

    ABSTRACT

    Objectives: A retrospective survey of insulin responses to a 75-gram glucose challenge in 684 subjects in New York metropolitan area was conducted to investigate: (1) prevalence of hyperinsulinemia in New York metropolitan area; (2) characteristics of optimal insulin homeostasis; (3) stratification of hyperinsulinism for optimal clinical use; and (4) mechanisms of action of risk factors of hyperinsulinism and type 2 diabetes (T2D).

    Methods: Post-glucose blood insulin and glucose levels were measured with fasting and ½ hr, 1- hr, 2-hr, and 3-hr samples at university and large commercial laboratories. Guided by the initial 100 profiles, a profile peak insulin concentration of <40 uIU/mL accompanied by unimpaired glucose tolerance was defined as the cut-off point for optimal insulin homeostasis. Hyperinsulinism was stratified into three categories based on the doubling of peak insulin values as follows: (1) mild, 40 to <80 uIU/mL; (2) moderate, 80 to <160 uIU/mL; and (3) severe, >160 uIU/mL.

    Results: The overall prevalence of hyperinsulinism in the general New York metropolitan population without type 2 diabetes was 75.1%. The rates of optimal insulin homeostasis and the degrees of hyperinsulinism (mild, moderate, severe) in 506 subjects without T2D were 24.9%, 38.9%, 26.5%, and 9.7% respectively. The corresponding rates for three degrees of hyperinsulinism in 178 subjects with T2D were 29%, 24%, and 13.9% (with the overall rate of 66.9%). The remaining 33.1% in the type 2 diabetes group showed insulin deficit of varying degrees. The profile peak insulin concentrations ranged from 11 uIU/mL to 718 uIU/mL.

    Conclusions: Our findings call for further study of insulin homeostasis in other general populations in the United States. In addition, we recommend viewing data in the broader context of mitochondrial dysfunction related to recognized dietary, environmental, and other risk factors of hyperinsulinism-to-T2D continuum; a need for a shift of focus from glycemic status to insulin homeostasis for stemming the global tides of hyperinsulinism and T2D is recognized.
    avatar
    chris c
    Member

    Status :
    Online
    Offline

    Posts : 3873
    Join date : 2015-07-26

    Re: Shifting Focus From Glycemic Status to Insulin Homeostasis for Stemming Global Tides of Hyperinsulinism and Type 2 Diabetes

    Post by chris c on Mon Mar 13 2017, 23:59

    A fitting tribute for the (sadly) late Joseph Kraft.

      Current date/time is Fri May 25 2018, 23:28