THE LOW CARB DIABETIC

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
THE LOW CARB DIABETIC

Promoting a low carb high fat lifestyle for the safe control of diabetes. Eat whole fresh food, more drugs are not the answer.

Welcome to the Low Carb Diabetic forum,have you signed up yet? if not then sign up and join us in the low carb community today!

3 posters

British Pie Week March 2017 : The Low Carb Way

Jan1
    Jan1

Female Posts : 5094

British Pie Week March 2017 : The Low Carb Way Empty British Pie Week March 2017 : The Low Carb Way

Post by Jan1 Wed Mar 08 2017, 18:59

Pie Week 2017 : The Low Carb Way

Well this week is British Pie Week, 6th to 12th March, and if you are a diabetic, or someone who is watching their carb intake, it may not be good news!!!

I believe the USA and Canada have a National Pie Day in January. Meanwhile in Australia and New Zealand they have annual meat pie contests ...

After you've read the facts below ... and think ... I'd love to eat/make a pie, I've given some ideas to some low carb recipes.

"It's British pie week, check out these fun pie facts

7 facts you need to know about pies!
    1. The oldest pie filling and indeed recipe is Goats cheese and honey. This dates to the second century B.C, later the Egyptians used a filling of honey or figs.
    2. In the 12th Century the most common filling for pie was fowl, with the legs hanging out to use as handles to eat the pie.
    3. Meat pies appeared as early as the 12th Century in the UK. The crust of the pie was referred to as a coffin, which were given to servants or beggars.
    4. Fruit pies or tarts were first made in the 1500s. English tradition credits with the first cherry pie to Queen Elizabeth I.
    5. In 1644 Oliver Cromwell banned the eating of pies as a pagan form of pleasure, restoration leaders lifted the ban on pie in 1660.
    6. 75 per cent of the British public enjoy eating pie at least once a month. 79 per cent of people are willing to pay more money for a homemade pie.
    7. The most expensive pie sold for a staggering £8,195 which is £1,024 per slice to only 8 guests in 2005 at the Fence Gate Inn, Lancashire. The filling was wagyu fillet of beef with matsutake mushrooms a £4,000 of premium red wine."

British Pie Week March 2017 : The Low Carb Way Meat%2BPie%2BLow%2BCarb

Low Carb Meat Pie

British Pie Week March 2017 : The Low Carb Way Spinachgoatcheesepie

Spinach and Goat Cheese Pie

British Pie Week March 2017 : The Low Carb Way Rsz_low_carb_chicken_and_leek_pie_small.2jpg

Chicken and Leek Pie

British Pie Week March 2017 : The Low Carb Way Easy_low_carb_chocolate_pumpkin_pie_small

Chocolate Pumpkin Pie

British Pie Week March 2017 : The Low Carb Way Lemon_meringue_small

Lemon Meringue Pie

British Pie Week March 2017 : The Low Carb Way Basic%2Blow-carb-crust1

Basic Low Carb Coconut Flour Crust

I hope you may enjoy a low carb pie soon ...
    for recipe links please see original post here
    http://thelowcarbdiabetic.blogspot.co.uk/2017/03/pie-week-2017-low-carb-way.html

All the best Jan
    Jan1
    Jan1

British Pie Week March 2017 : The Low Carb Way Empty Re: British Pie Week March 2017 : The Low Carb Way

Post by Jan1 Thu Jun 15 2017, 19:15

Just a thought ...

It doesn't have to be British Pie Week to enjoy a low carb pie ...

The Spinach and Goats Cheese one for example!
    See more below  Smile

Jan

Jan1 wrote:Pie Week 2017 : The Low Carb Way

Well this week is British Pie Week, 6th to 12th March, and if you are a diabetic, or someone who is watching their carb intake, it may not be good news!!!

I believe the USA and Canada have a National Pie Day in January. Meanwhile in Australia and New Zealand they have annual meat pie contests ...

After you've read the facts below ... and think ... I'd love to eat/make a pie, I've given some ideas to some low carb recipes.

"It's British pie week, check out these fun pie facts

7 facts you need to know about pies!
    1. The oldest pie filling and indeed recipe is Goats cheese and honey. This dates to the second century B.C, later the Egyptians used a filling of honey or figs.
    2. In the 12th Century the most common filling for pie was fowl, with the legs hanging out to use as handles to eat the pie.
    3. Meat pies appeared as early as the 12th Century in the UK. The crust of the pie was referred to as a coffin, which were given to servants or beggars.
    4. Fruit pies or tarts were first made in the 1500s. English tradition credits with the first cherry pie to Queen Elizabeth I.
    5. In 1644 Oliver Cromwell banned the eating of pies as a pagan form of pleasure, restoration leaders lifted the ban on pie in 1660.
    6. 75 per cent of the British public enjoy eating pie at least once a month. 79 per cent of people are willing to pay more money for a homemade pie.
    7. The most expensive pie sold for a staggering £8,195 which is £1,024 per slice to only 8 guests in 2005 at the Fence Gate Inn, Lancashire. The filling was wagyu fillet of beef with matsutake mushrooms a £4,000 of premium red wine."

British Pie Week March 2017 : The Low Carb Way Meat%2BPie%2BLow%2BCarb

Low Carb Meat Pie

British Pie Week March 2017 : The Low Carb Way Spinachgoatcheesepie

Spinach and Goat Cheese Pie

British Pie Week March 2017 : The Low Carb Way Rsz_low_carb_chicken_and_leek_pie_small.2jpg

Chicken and Leek Pie

British Pie Week March 2017 : The Low Carb Way Easy_low_carb_chocolate_pumpkin_pie_small

Chocolate Pumpkin Pie

British Pie Week March 2017 : The Low Carb Way Lemon_meringue_small

Lemon Meringue Pie

British Pie Week March 2017 : The Low Carb Way Basic%2Blow-carb-crust1

Basic Low Carb Coconut Flour Crust

I hope you may enjoy a low carb pie soon ...
    for recipe links please see original post here
    http://thelowcarbdiabetic.blogspot.co.uk/2017/03/pie-week-2017-low-carb-way.html

All the best Jan
    chris c
    chris c

British Pie Week March 2017 : The Low Carb Way Empty Re: British Pie Week March 2017 : The Low Carb Way

Post by chris c Fri Jun 16 2017, 21:46

And for portion control eat a pi

(mathematicians' joke)
    Jan1
    Jan1

Post by Jan1 Sun Jul 30 2017, 14:09

Paul1976
    Paul1976

Male Posts : 2439

Post by Paul1976 Mon Jul 31 2017, 01:55

Bacon.Mushroom and blue cheese-Awesome combo imo...This would be definitely one for me and my son who are crazy for blue cheese,be it on it's own or in any recipe,sadly my wife and daughters have an irrational fear of the thought of blue cheese (They've never tried it sigh)but I'm working on it as the salty,tangy and creamy goodness which can only be found in a blue cheese is one life's little pleasures for sure! thumb-up
    chris c
    chris c

Post by chris c Fri Aug 04 2017, 00:18

Someone (I think not Jan for once!) recommended I try Delice de Bourgoigne which has rather the texture of Brie but a faint salty tang of blue cheese about it. That might be worth a try though I don't know how it would hold up to cooking.
    Jan1
    Jan1

Post by Jan1 Sun Aug 06 2017, 17:08

British Pie Week March 2017 : The Low Carb Way 220px-DELICE_DE_BOURGOGNE_2KG_LINCET_EXPORT

This sound great Chris ...

"Délice de Bourgogne is a French cow's milk cheese from the Burgundy region of France. It was first created in 1975 by Jean Lincet at Fromagerie Lincet. It is a soft-ripened triple-cream cheese. The cheese is rich and creamy due to the cheese-making process where cream is added to the milk during the cheese process (see "Triple cream")."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/D%C3%A9lice_de_Bourgogne

If you read more at the link it even gives wine pairings for this cheese ...

All the best Jan

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Mar 28 2024, 13:23