THE LOW CARB DIABETIC

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
THE LOW CARB DIABETIC

Promoting a low carb high fat lifestyle for the safe control of diabetes. Eat whole fresh food, more drugs are not the answer.

Welcome to the Low Carb Diabetic forum,have you signed up yet? if not then sign up and join us in the low carb community today!

3 posters

Knowledgeable Patients

chris c
    chris c

Knowledgeable Patients Empty Knowledgeable Patients

Post by chris c Fri Feb 24 2017, 23:51

http://bmjopen.bmj.com/content/3/11/e003583

pdf available

Type 1 diabetics who have taken the DAFNE course and how they are treated by their Medical Professionals.

A number of well controlled Type 1s have criticised the DAFNE courses, mainly for their insistence of the Normal Eating (ie. high carb) and their insistence on NOT doing postprandial testing, you're only supposed to test again before your next meal to calculate your insulin dose.

OTOH there's general praise for the BDEC online course (Bournemouth Diabetes and Endocrinology Centre)
    Andy12345
    Andy12345

Male Posts : 1646

Knowledgeable Patients Empty Re: Knowledgeable Patients

Post by Andy12345 Sat Feb 25 2017, 05:41

Insistence on not doing post test? How on earth can that be reasonable? It's like saying "don't check the results, it works! Trust me"
    mo1905
    mo1905

Male Posts : 2305

Post by mo1905 Sat Feb 25 2017, 17:03

I have attended DAFNE and the 2hr post testing was discussed quite a bit. Most people there I am sure still do these tests. The DAFNE instructors preach that once you know your insulin/carb ratio, there is no need ( unless exceptional circumstances or a new food or something ). They go on to say that they don't encourage testing after meals as they don't want us injecting again with insulin still active in the system. In some respects, I see their point. I do still test occasionally after meals but not as often as I used to. DAFNE is useful for a lot of diabetics who haven't really got to grips with the condition and are not really interested in self education as much as regular forum members for instance.
    I did learn some things and because of forums like this, I knew when to question or ignore.
    chris c
    chris c

Post by chris c Sat Feb 25 2017, 22:45

Yes, I suspect "take what you need and leave the rest" is probably a good plan. However while "insulin stacking" isn't such a good idea, most of the well controlled Type 1s I've come across are prepared to inject more to knock down an unexpected spike (and carry glucose tabs or similar in case they overdo it) and have significantly better A1cs than the rest, some significantly better than me or many "nondiabetics".

Of course low carb is a total game changer. I've seen a few Type 1s who have good control on up to 150g carbs but not many above that.

Actively preventing Type 1s from having enough strips to test as required ought to be charged as attempted murder. But then a lot of doctors still seem to believe that postprandial BG spikes are "perfectly normal" despite all the research that says otherwise. Probably one reason for the huge increase in "double diabetes" - insulin resistant Type 1s who also have to take Type 2 meds. Even a decade or so ago this was not common.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Mar 28 2024, 12:41