The Low Carb Diabetic

Promoting a low carb high fat lifestyle for the safe control of diabetes. Eat whole fresh food, more drugs are not the answer.

Welcome to the Low Carb Diabetic forum,have you signed up yet? if not then sign up and join us in the low carb community today!

Computer, Video Games - Good or Not?

Jan1

Female Posts : 4194

Computer, Video Games - Good or Not?

Post by Jan1 on Thu Sep 25 2014, 20:29

I know it's 2014 .....but I sometimes wonder am I in a time warp and still living decades before?

In this world of computer, video games and even games on your mobile phone, I sometimes wish they weren't there.

Many love them ..... many queue for hours to be the first to buy a new game or consol that's being released. Many spend their hard earned money on them .... and they are certainly not cheap.

It could be argued that they are helping to increase the obesity epidemic because game players are not exercising enough and consume too many crisps or cans of drink in-between their battles or game modes.

Friends, who are both in their sixties, have a Wi ..... apologies if I've not spelt that correctly, and they thoroughly enjoy the dance and keep fit type 'game' that they can play along to.

I know many of these games are for two player plus and come in many forms. From lego ... to minecraft ... Call of Duty. The industry provides for all.

Am I being old fashioned? I know some of our children thoroughly enjoy them. I know the grandchildren enjoy them too.

Do you have any computer games, any favourite?

Do you think the invention of these games may have affected the current obesity crisis?

Look forward to exchanging posts ....your thoughts and ideas sunny

All the best Jan
    zand

Female Posts : 1940

Re: Computer, Video Games - Good or Not?

Post by zand on Thu Sep 25 2014, 20:39

I like some of the older games like Stronghold, Roller Coaster Tycoon, Civilization and Championship Manager. I haven't played any for a long time because I spent too long playing and it drained me and made my ME like symptoms worse. So if I do play any, they are the shorter games now. I like backgammon sometimes but get bored with it easily.
    Paul1976

Male Posts : 2433

Post by Paul1976 on Thu Sep 25 2014, 21:06

Believe it or not-Gaming was the making of my son,he has autism and we went through hell when he was younger with challenging behaviour until one day I rigged up my old Playstation 1 in his bedroom and that was the start of a beautifiul hobby that has grown and grown to the point that he has multiple consoles and has developed a good group of friends-online and at school where he is considered a 'Gaming Guru' as he can crack any game in no time at all and kids often go to him for tips and advice-He also keeps fit and active so he can enjoy his other great love-Tae Kwondo which he loves and takes very seriously and he is slim and as fit as a whippet. Smile

Male Posts : 1637

Post by Andy12345 on Thu Sep 25 2014, 21:17

over my life time ive been into them but not really any more, i started with a zx81 matchstick graphics computer with a tapedeck, looking back it was beyond aweful but at the time, i was practically a spaceman, i went through the console thing too when they came out, notable games in my life have been

1914-1918 history line
    dune
    colin mccray rally
    online crib
    online spades
    online poker
    medal of honour allied assault online
    lord of the rings online
    call of duty online
    fighter plane/helicopter games
    a few i cant remember the names of

i play the silly face book games from time to time now, im currently being frustrated by throne rush

i like castle type games or war games generally

adding to obesity? no! i can equally sit on my arse and watch tv for the same time, in fact the times i play games id be sitting anyway, marijuana had a bigger impact on my laziness lol
    Andy12345

Male Posts : 1637

Post by Andy12345 on Thu Sep 25 2014, 21:18

Paul wrote:Believe it or not-Gaming was the making of my son,he has autism and we went through hell when he was younger with challenging behaviour until one day I rigged up my old Playstation 1 in his bedroom and that was the start of a beautifiul hobby that has grown and grown to the point that he has multiple consoles and has developed a good group of friends-online and at school where he is considered a 'Gaming Guru' as he can crack any game in no time at all and kids often go to him for tips and advice-He also keeps fit and active so he can enjoy his other great love-Tae Kwondo which he loves and takes very seriously and he is slim and as fit as a whippet. Smile

thats lovely mate Smile
    Jan1

Post by Jan1 on Thu Sep 25 2014, 21:28

Andy12345 wrote:
    Paul wrote:Believe it or not-Gaming was the making of my son,he has autism and we went through hell when he was younger with challenging behaviour until one day I rigged up my old Playstation 1 in his bedroom and that was the start of a beautifiul hobby that has grown and grown to the point that he has multiple consoles and has developed a good group of friends-online and at school where he is considered a 'Gaming Guru' as he can crack any game in no time at all and kids often go to him for tips and advice-He also keeps fit and active so he can enjoy his other great love-Tae Kwondo which he loves and takes very seriously and he is slim and as fit as a whippet. Smile

thats lovely mate Smile

That's good to know Paul.

.....I think games are often seen as being more of a male thing then female - although I have an Aunt who would strongly disagree with me on this one, she thoroughly enjoys working out the tactics on certain games.

All the best Jan
    zand

Female Posts : 1940

Post by zand on Thu Sep 25 2014, 22:12

More male than female? Hey I'm the one who plays computer games in this house! Hubby might play Freecell once in a while, but that's it. Yes, I know, here we go again, I'm weird.
    mo1905

Male Posts : 2303

Post by mo1905 on Thu Sep 25 2014, 22:56

I used to love the early Tomb Raider puzzles etc. Too complicated now. My boys do the on-line gaming stuff and the language I hear coming from their rooms sometimes is appalling ! Whatever happened to playing Donkey Kong with a big bag of chips in your hand lol !

Female Posts : 21

Post by Bode on Fri Sep 26 2014, 12:55

I play World of Warcraft and find lots of women gamers around (of all ages) Smile

I don't think it really adds to the obesity problem as the same people who sit around playing a computer game, would probably just sit around and watch TV.

Jan1

Post by Jan1 on Sat Sep 27 2014, 13:27

I can remember my sons playing World of Warcraft and talking to people all over the world - it's very popular. I think Runescape was another? They now live in their own homes and perhaps don'y have so much free time but they still enjoy various games......and what is nice they can play on-line together, another great way of keeping in touch.

Me, guess you could say my computer time is taken up with Forums and Blogs  sunny

With any 'sitting' past-time Computers, Reading etc perhaps we should be wary of not sitting still too long ......even if exercise is getting up to do the washing up UGH it's still movement, and with that thought I'm signing out to go and do it. My Butler, seems to have the day off a-g-a-i-n lol!  

All the best Jan
    Jan1

Post by Jan1 on Fri Dec 12 2014, 11:32

With Christmas just around the corner many of us are buying video games, new phones etc for our loved ones for Christmas. When you look around even two and three year olds have their own games. I know my children and grandchildren love to play games on computers, phones, etc. It sure is a techno world now!

But the cost of these games and XBox's, Play Station Fours and the like - what do you do when you have two or more kids or adults that really would like a particular game or PS4 etc.? Perhaps take out a second mortgage?

Apparently the Wii is a good family type consul with dance and exercise games for the family.

Have you or your family any favourites for this Christmas ..............and if you know of any bargain buys there may be readers who'd be pleased to know.

Happy Gaming ! Is that the correct terminology lol!

All the best Jan
    mo1905

Post by mo1905 on Sat Dec 13 2014, 08:31

We have the Wii and there are some good family games, we usually have a bit of a laugh with it over Xmas. My son has the Xbox One which is a little complicated for me. He plays on-line so I occasionally hear a few curse words emanating from his room ! I try to limit his time on it but he's 23 so not easy lol !

Post by Paul1976 on Sat Dec 13 2014, 11:06

mo1905 wrote:We have the Wii and there are some good family games, we usually have a bit of a laugh with it over Xmas. My son has the Xbox One which is a little complicated for me. He plays on-line so I occasionally hear a few curse words emanating from his room ! I try to limit his time on it but he's 23 so not easy lol !

The kids have got wii's in the bedrooms and we have a wii U in the living room which is good fun with Mario kart 8 and super smash bros,My lad is 16 and has the Xbox 360 and has online gaming parties via XBox live so I sympathise with you Mo as the language at times coming from his room is a bit "Choice" so to speak! Twisted Evil

Post by mo1905 on Sat Dec 13 2014, 12:13

Like a sailors reunion sometimes mate ! My wife often gives me the Lionel Blair stare as if I am somehow to blame !!

Post by Jan1 on Sat Dec 13 2014, 16:58

It seems sons, daughters, grandchildren all enjoy computer games. I'm sure there are many mums, dads, and grandparents that do to.  sunny

Our son Rob has his own blog about them, why not hop over and check it our here:

http://pixel-vision.blogspot.co.uk/

What would be your nomination for favourite game of the year?

Happy Gaming !

All the best Jan
    Paul1976

Post by Paul1976 on Sat Dec 13 2014, 17:23

Jan1 wrote:It seems sons, daughters, grandchildren all enjoy computer games. I'm sure there are many mums, dads, and grandparents that do to.  sunny

Our son Rob has his own blog about them, why not hop over and check it our here:

http://pixel-vision.blogspot.co.uk/

What would be your nomination for favourite game of the year?

Happy Gaming !

All the best Jan

Hi Jan!

Just commented on Rob's new look blog(Great blog BTW) and my nominations as a 38 year old who has been off the gaming scene for around 19 years would be Mario Kart 8 and Smash Bros both on the Wii U platform as they're great fun for multiplayers and the HD 1080P graphics are awesome! Smile

Current date/time is Tue Oct 17 2017, 23:22