The Low Carb Diabetic

Promoting a low carb high fat lifestyle for the safe control of diabetes. Eat whole fresh food, more drugs are not the answer.

Welcome to the Low Carb Diabetic forum,have you signed up yet? if not then sign up and join us in the low carb community today!

Don't be embarrassed by your diabetes !

mo1905

Male Posts : 2304

Don't be embarrassed by your diabetes !

Post by mo1905 on Thu Aug 14 2014, 18:25

What are your thoughts on this ? Flaunt it or should we hide it ?

Male Posts : 2436

Re: Don't be embarrassed by your diabetes !

Post by Paul1976 on Thu Aug 14 2014, 20:09

Without going into too much detail and through past personal experience I would say Flaunt it and don't let society dictate what's acceptable and what you can and cannot show of the real you. Smile

Kath

Post by Kath on Thu Aug 28 2014, 11:25

.Hi All, I definitely believe we should "flaunt" it. In fact I thnik we owe it to other diabetics o try to explain and educate non-diabetics about the condition..

Otherwise people will just accept the stereoype.. There is a great deal of ignorance out there although diabetes is hardly a new or rare condit ion

Thank goodness for all those who , having learned how to mange it successfully for themselves selflessly spend much of their time tryig to hothers..

As in the team here and many of the members.
    Best

Kathx Very Happy
    Paul1976

Male Posts : 2436

Post by Paul1976 on Thu Aug 28 2014, 11:29

@Kath wrote:.Hi All, I definitely believe we should "flaunt" it.  In fact I thnik we owe it to other diabetics   o try to explain and educate non-diabetics about the condition..

Otherwise people will just accept the stereoype.. There is a great deal of ignorance out there although diabetes is hardly a new or rare condit ion

Thank goodness for all those who , having learned how to mange it successfully for themselves selflessly spend much of their time tryig to hothers..

Best

Kathx Very Happy

Couldn't agree more Kath and really great to see you here BTW! Smile Hope life is treating you well! Smile

Best wishes

Paul

Female Posts : 4840

Post by Jan1 on Thu Aug 28 2014, 14:04

@Kath wrote:.Hi All, I definitely believe we should "flaunt" it.  In fact I thnik we owe it to other diabetics   o try to explain and educate non-diabetics about the condition..

Best

Kathx Very Happy

Hi Kath.

It's so good to see you here, a very warm welcome.

Although I'm not a diabetic but an avid supporter of a Type 2 low carb diabetic and an avid low carber myself - I think we should 'flaunt it' sunny

All the best Jan
    Thundercat

Female Posts : 15

Post by Thundercat on Thu Aug 28 2014, 14:58

I wouldn't go as far as flaunting, but I do believe we should feel confident and relaxed testing and injecting in public and not shy away from talking about diabetes as if it were something to be ashamed of. It is a medical condition none of us asked for which brings its own difficulties, shame should not be one of them.

Post by Guest on Thu Aug 28 2014, 19:25

@Thundercat wrote:I wouldn't go as far as flaunting, but I do believe we should feel confident and relaxed testing and injecting in public and not shy away from talking about diabetes as if it were something to be ashamed of.  It is a medical condition none of us asked for which brings its own difficulties, shame should not be one of them.
    you are so right there should be no shame ...best wishes Kat
    Jan1

Post by Jan1 on Thu Aug 28 2014, 21:18

Kat100 wrote:
    @Thundercat wrote:I wouldn't go as far as flaunting, but I do believe we should feel confident and relaxed testing and injecting in public and not shy away from talking about diabetes as if it were something to be ashamed of.  It is a medical condition none of us asked for which brings its own difficulties, shame should not be one of them.
    you are so right there should be no shame ...best wishes Kat

.....and why should there be shame ?

I'm still not too sure how Type 1 diabetics cope at school, it can't be easy.

Has anyone here any experience of this?

All the best Jan
    Thundercat

Female Posts : 15

Post by Thundercat on Fri Aug 29 2014, 01:00

I was a few months into my first year in secondary school when I was diagnosed. A few of the teachers were quite hostile about it and the one who was most suppprtive was the one I would have thought least likely to be. I used to leave class early to inject. BG checking was more hit than miss for me at that stage. Oh glorious denial! I had one very bad hypo at lunch one day soon after returning to school and a friend got me a sweet cup of tea. She was panicked a little and put so much sugar in it you could nearly stand a spoon upright! It made me feel very isolated a lot of the time but that was more to do with my feelings about it than anything else.
    Mrs Vimes

Female Posts : 156

Post by Mrs Vimes on Fri Aug 29 2014, 06:20

As a type 1 teacher my secondary school is good on this one. They can leave the class if they need to for whatever reason. There are written protocols in place for MDI and pump users that are actually followed (risk assessments and what to do if.....). They are on a confidential register that staff use when lesson planning for ability and for awareness of medical needs.
    They have a named person who is their liaison and they have a lot of training. The DN also comes in as needed.
    There is a place set aside for injections and testing if they want privacy and a huge amount of contact with home.

Me? I test wherever and have lucozade everywhere. I don't flaunt it but I don't hide it. I can do a bloodsugar test while the kids are doing a task and the only thing that gives it away us the beep.
    Then they try and out the person who has their mobile phone switched on!
    Mrs Vimes

Female Posts : 156

Post by Mrs Vimes on Fri Aug 29 2014, 06:28

Oh and as they become teenagers some cope very well. Others rebel. The ones who rebel? Who can blame them? I was 20 when I was diagnosed so I had a couple of years out drinking with friends doing the usual teenage things without having to worry about blood sugar levels - absolute bliss.
    These kids have to deal with hormones raging affecting blood sugars and just want to be 'normal' like their mates.
    All we can do is be there for them without being judgemental - inwardly cringing knowing the possible damage.
    We continue with everything I wrote about above. Regular contact with home etc.
    I believe I was very lucky to be diagnosed as an adult. I was the only one responsible for my diabetes - it must take years off a parent's life.
    mo1905

Male Posts : 2304

Post by mo1905 on Fri Aug 29 2014, 09:39

It's difficult to comprehend the complexities of diabetes until you either have it or have lived with it. I honestly think Joe Public think it's just a condition where you can't eat cakes. Many are unaware that BG levels need to be checked regularly, I didn't until I contracted it. I was also unaware of hypo's and their regularity. I've been medically trained for years ( only First Responder/EMT level ) but I still thought a hypo or a hyper were extremely rare and a genuine medical emergency ! Even now, family members are quite shocked I have to inject at every meal. There is still much confusion regarding carbs too. A lot of people don't link them to sugars.

Male Posts : 395

Post by sanguine on Fri Aug 29 2014, 10:23

@mo1905 wrote:It's difficult to comprehend the complexities of diabetes until you either have it or have lived with it. I honestly think Joe Public think it's just a condition where you can't eat cakes. Many are unaware that BG levels need to be checked regularly, I didn't until I contracted it. I was also unaware of hypo's and their regularity. I've been medically trained for years ( only First Responder/EMT level ) but I still thought a hypo or a hyper were extremely rare and a genuine medical emergency ! Even now, family members are quite shocked I have to inject at every meal. There is still much confusion regarding carbs too. A lot of people don't link them to sugars.

I'm sure that's true Mo. Before I was diagnosed my total knowledge of diabetes was

1) T1s inject insulin
    2) T1s carry biscuits and chocolate around with them for emergencies
    3) Diabetes is something to do with insulin and sugar
    4) Er, that's it.

Jan1

Post by Jan1 on Fri Aug 29 2014, 20:53

@sanguine wrote:
    @mo1905 wrote:It's difficult to comprehend the complexities of diabetes until you either have it or have lived with it. I honestly think Joe Public think it's just a condition where you can't eat cakes. Many are unaware that BG levels need to be checked regularly, I didn't until I contracted it. I was also unaware of hypo's and their regularity. I've been medically trained for years ( only First Responder/EMT level ) but I still thought a hypo or a hyper were extremely rare and a genuine medical emergency ! Even now, family members are quite shocked I have to inject at every meal. There is still much confusion regarding carbs too. A lot of people don't link them to sugars.

I'm sure that's true Mo.  Before I was diagnosed my total knowledge of diabetes was

1) T1s inject insulin
    2) T1s carry biscuits and chocolate around with them for emergencies
    3) Diabetes is something to do with insulin and sugar
    4) Er, that's it.

Sadly for many it's "Oh you can't take sugar in your tea then"

I guess for many of us it's not until it happens to you, or a loved one, do you begin to realise the complexities.

That is one reason why it's important to talk about it and not hide away

All the best Jan

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue Oct 16 2018, 02:43