The Low Carb Diabetic

Promoting a low carb high fat lifestyle for the safe control of diabetes. Eat whole fresh food, more drugs are not the answer.

Welcome to the Low Carb Diabetic forum,have you signed up yet? if not then sign up and join us in the low carb community today!

Spring Is On The Way

Jan1

Female Posts : 3894

Re: Spring Is On The Way

Post by Jan1 on Thu Mar 02 2017, 19:33

@chris c wrote:It's coming thick and fast now, some kind of wintersweet scenting the air in the churchyard and outside the dentist's and doctor's.

Sarcocca I think.

I had to look these up and found a nice article about these:

"SARCOCOCCAS should be better-known. Also called Christmas or sweet box, even these inviting names have failed to make them popular and they remain the most neglected of evergreens. Amazingly easy to grow, more reliable and glossier than box, with shinier leaves and incredible-smelling flowers, sarcococcas could be the plants to choose for edging formal beds, especially in shade. Why have they never caught on?

Visitors who come to the garden here in the winter months always remark on the glorious smell of the sarcococcas. Near the back door, a bush of Sarcococca confusa makes a fountain of green all year. This is the largest and bushiest of the sweet boxes. It can grow as high as 6ft but 4ft is a more usual height. It spreads a bit, but who cares when it is such an obliging plant? A bush that is healthy all year, flowers during the dreariest season and is so cheerful and sweet smelling deserves some space. After the tiny white-scented threads fall, confusa has black berries.

Smaller than S. confusa is S. ruscifolia var. chinensis, which has flowers all the way up the stem, followed by red berries. It came from China in the late 19th century and looks as polished as porcelain. Flower-arrangers like the fact that it can last for as long as a fortnight in water, while gardeners praise its neat elegance.  

more to read here
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/gardening/howtogrow/3296342/How-to-grow-Sarcococcas.html

All the best Jan
    chris c

Post by chris c on Thu Mar 02 2017, 23:11

Humpf!

I had one but it died. My father grew them without problems though they are rather slow growing.

He also had a magnificent Viburnum Bodnantense

right by the back door which also scented the air in winter and early spring. Some neighbours have them so I put one in. That died too.

One of the sarcococcas is called Hookeri, after the founders of Kew Gardens. My dentist owns the Hooker House and according to the blue plaque on the wall Joseph Hooker lived to be 94. Pretty impressive for that long ago!
    graham64

Male Posts : 2719

Post by graham64 on Fri Mar 03 2017, 21:30

@chris c wrote:Humpf!

I had one but it died. My father grew them without problems though they are rather slow growing.

He also had a magnificent Viburnum Bodnantense

right by the back door which also scented the air in winter and early spring. Some neighbours have them so I put one in. That died too.

One of the sarcococcas is called Hookeri, after the founders of Kew Gardens. My dentist owns the Hooker House and according to the blue plaque on the wall Joseph Hooker lived to be 94. Pretty impressive for that long ago!

Hooker House  Shocked did it have a red light outside  Question

Proving the LowCarb sceptics wrong for over nine years,

Not all cherubs are Angels  Wink nor all diabetics Bonkers  Rolling Eyes
    chris c

Post by chris c on Sat Mar 04 2017, 23:32

Oh I wondered what all the other rooms were for.

Back to spring and though I haven't seen them myself there are a pair of House Martins already in Lowestoft, more than a month early. Lots more other birds chasing one another round the garden too. What happened to your early nesting pigeons? Casserole or roasted?
    graham64

Post by graham64 on Sun Mar 05 2017, 00:06

First decent day for weeks actually enjoyed a walk  in the sunshine for a change  sunny not holding my breath more rain on the horizon  Sad

chris c

Post by chris c on Mon Mar 06 2017, 23:25

Yeah it's been a bit like April already here, several different kinds of weather in the same day, several of them wet.
    Jan1

Post by Jan1 on Tue Mar 07 2017, 18:15

It was lovely out earlier today, the sun was shining and it really seemed quite warm and spring like!

The daffodils at our local Church are all out in full bloom, and they look a delight against the Church wall, they are such cheerful flowers ... well I think so.

I have also seen some polyanthus planted out in beds and they too look colourful ...

Definitely Spring was in the air today  Smile

All the best Jan
    Andy12345

Male Posts : 1634

Post by Andy12345 on Tue Mar 07 2017, 18:54

My experience of the spring like weather was of the M25 and NW3 I may have seen a expressionist daffodil painted on the wall, but it may have been anything, I'm no art critic
    mo1905

Male Posts : 2302

Post by mo1905 on Wed Mar 08 2017, 19:26

Dog walk today along the river and daffodils starting to bloom. Can't wait for Spring. Still, it hasn't actually been a bad winter. Bit wet but nothing drastic. I think I only actually scraped my windscreen twice !

Post by graham64 on Wed Mar 08 2017, 23:23

@mo1905 wrote:Dog walk today along the river and daffodils starting to bloom. Can't wait for Spring. Still, it hasn't actually been a bad winter. Bit wet but nothing drastic. I think I only actually scraped my windscreen twice !

Oop norf it's been one of the worst winters I can remember very few crisp sunny days mainly rain and strong winds

chris c

Post by chris c on Thu Mar 09 2017, 00:33

Yesterday was the first day it was warm enough and sunny and still enough that I could smell the violets scenting the air in the garden. They are basically weeds here and grow in people's lawns and some of the verges, and are easy enough to pull up when they start getting too rampant.

People started putting in daffs and crocuses in the verges outside their houses and a couple of years back the council got in on the act and did some mass plantings, they are all coming into bloom now. I must walk through the park and along by the river, loads of crocuses and snowdrops, and there should by now be some Siskins in the alders. Maybe an early Chiffchaff or Blackcap too.
    Jan1

Post by Jan1 on Thu Mar 09 2017, 18:44

What a fantastic day today.
    The sun was out, the sky was blue ... days like this just make you feel good.
    It is still only March, so always best to make the most of good days when you can.

At our local Parent and Toddler group, just happened to be out when a lot of the parents and children were making their way home, the little-uns were actually skipping along with such a big smile on their faces ... made me smile too Smile

Perhaps it should have been a salad for dinner ... but it isn't ... it's moussaka, don't you just love those aubergines!

All the best Jan
    Jan1

Post by Jan1 on Mon Mar 13 2017, 14:20

Goodness!
    It seems as if I'm repeating myself Smile

But I am!

Yes, today (so far) the sun is out, the sky is blue ... days like this just make you feel good.

Hope it's good where you are

All the best Jan
    flower
    chris c

Post by chris c on Tue Mar 14 2017, 01:20

Everything's coming thick and fast here now. Daffs everywhere and primroses everywhere else. Several patches of wild coltsfoots. I've seen a couple of bumble bees and a few butterflies too.

First blackbird building her nest. Strange, in all the years I've lived here the pair on the south side of the garden has always nested early, either here or in the neighbour's. About half the time the first nest fails or is abandoned. Meanwhile the pair on the north side starts breeding at the normal time. It works out because the broods fledge at different times, and when the early ones lose their first brood they have time to renest at the end of the season. The sparrowhawks have a steady source of food too.

Now obviously over twelve years the birds have actually changed over several times but the habits haven't - until this year, now it's the ones on the north that are starting first.

Despite the sunshine and warmth I'm still eating winter food though - sausages, pheasant breasts, venison, sprouts, PSB and last week finally a couple of decent sized herrings (with toasted almonds, spinach and a thickly buttered oatcake).
    Jan1

Post by Jan1 on Tue Mar 14 2017, 17:26

Yes, I agree, everything does seem to be coming thick and fast now.

Out earlier and it's just a pleasure to walk past peoples gardens and see the daffs, polyanthus and even azalea, it was a glorious pink colour, in bloom.

So many blossom trees are looking good too - I just love this time of year.

My only hope is we do not get any cold weather or snow that they seem to be experiencing in the USA and Canada ... but no doubt we will, it is still only March.

I agree about the food, salads are nice and we do have one from time to time during the cooler months, but you can't beat a casserole, some low carb sausages, moussaka etc. ... or even a bowl of soup!

All the best Jan
    graham64

Post by graham64 on Wed Mar 15 2017, 22:13

Spring has sprung well at least for a day as storm Stella is nigh Sad , yesterday was dry and sunny with a cold wind which helped dry out the lawns, today was equally sunny but the wind had eased off making for a pleasantly warm day. Spent most of the time in the garden the grass got its first cut of the season and I shifted a ton of leaves and other garden debris

mo1905

Male Posts : 2302

Post by mo1905 on Wed Mar 15 2017, 22:30

The steady hum of lawnmowers has been ringing in my ears for the last 48hrs or so ! Soon time to get my shorts out :-)

Post by graham64 on Thu Mar 16 2017, 22:25

@mo1905 wrote:The steady hum of lawnmowers has been ringing in my ears for the last 48hrs or so ! Soon time to get my shorts out :-)

Alas spring has now sprung a leak rain  lawnmowers are silenced and the only people wearing shorts are the posties  Shocked

Jan1

Post by Jan1 on Fri Mar 17 2017, 13:10

@graham64 wrote:
    @mo1905 wrote:The steady hum of lawnmowers has been ringing in my ears for the last 48hrs or so ! Soon time to get my shorts out :-)

Alas spring has now sprung a leak rain  lawnmowers are silenced and the only people wearing shorts are the posties  Shocked

We still have dry weather although quite cloudy ...
    Sitting having my mid-morning cuppa, I did hear our neighbours lawnmower!

And yes, our posties seem to favour wearing shorts - mine and Eddies are still firmly in the wardrobe and probably will not make an appearance for some-time Shocked

All the best Jan
    graham64

Post by graham64 on Fri Mar 17 2017, 22:32

@Jan1 wrote:
    @graham64 wrote:

We still have dry weather although quite cloudy ...
    Sitting having my mid-morning cuppa, I did hear our neighbours lawnmower!

And yes, our posties seem to favour wearing shorts - mine and Eddies are still firmly in the wardrobe and probably will not make an appearance for some-time Shocked

All the best Jan

Heavy rain and windy for most of the day, think I'll go into hibernation  Sleep at least there won't be a hose pipe ban  Very Happy

chris c

Post by chris c on Sat Mar 18 2017, 01:12

Most days this week I've managed to walk two or three miles in the sun. Yesterday I visited what used to be a big forestry plantation where I'be been going for nearly thirty years. Some of it got a bit blowed about in the hurricane but most of it survived and has matured this century and is being felled one block at a time.

There were a couple of singing Chiffchaffs, and having just written that I hadn't seen a fox for a while one trotted right out in the open on one of the big cleared blocks. Several more butterflies and various other birds.

I walked into the deciduous woodland at the back but failed to hear any Blackcaps - I'd heard a couple from the car on the way - there was a big patch of celandines in flower and even a couple of dandelions. Blackthorn starting to blossom alongside the wild plums. Buzzards soaring right left and centre, three went up circling in a thermal, reminding me of how the airliners used to "stack" over the North Downs before joining the flightpath to Heathrow.

I drove back via a circuitous route through several villages - loads of primroses and some coltsfoots in the field ditches, daffs everywhere, some early cherries, a spectacular camellia and a whole bunch of other things too numerous to mention in the gardens. The wheat fields are mostly verdant green, some of the rape is towering into flower, lawnmowers were out and the council have been cutting some of the grass verges already. Green shoots (of recovery) on the hawthorns and hazels and some pussy willows showing silver.

I polished off some sausages with PSB, and later a pheasant stir fry with just enough quinoa to mop up the olive and toasted sesame oil it was cooked in.

Today for a change I didn't do much. There are some irises coming out, and buds on the flowering currant (my old man always described them as smelling like tom cats) coronilla, mahonia and kerria. I had my cherry trees cut down a few years back and one of the roots has thrown up a wild plum with dazzling white flowers. I already ate a kipper with toasted almonds and spinach, next the rest of the sausages with sprouts this time I think.

It clouded over today and now its back to wind and rain.
    chris c

Post by chris c on Wed Mar 22 2017, 00:12

My dazzling white magnolia (stellata) is out now, and so are my neighbour's delicate pink ones, also several forsythias.

The recent wind and rain blew over some of my daffs so I went out and picked them. They are now in a vase on the dining table and the room smells lovely. They look down on me while I eat, and it's fascinating to look close up at the differences in the flowers. When we bought the house there were several clumps in the garden already,and over the years I've added more so they flower through from february to may, but I can no longer remember which is which. Different shapes and lengths of trumpet and different colours and patterns on the petals, and even distinctly different scents.
    Eddie

Male Posts : 3673

Post by Eddie on Fri Mar 24 2017, 18:32

Just purchased my new fishing licence and looking forward to a spot of fishing soon. On rivers, the traditional close season for coarse fishing which runs from 15th March through to the 15th June, but fishing on still waters such as lakes does not have a closed season.

This is the lake complex I started fishing seriously and have enjoyed many wonderful times. Great fishing, very friendly and knowledgeable staff and every thing you could possible need. A small but well stocked tackle shop and the cafe serves excellent food including very tasty cheeseburgers affraid A rare indulgence these days. This place is an oasis of calm and tranquillity, in a world where the older I get, the less I understand.

Type two diabetic-low carb diet (50 carbs per day) and two 500mg Metformin pills per day. Apart from diagnosis HbA1c almost 12-all HbA1c results none diabetic. For over eight years my diabetes medication has not changed. My weight has remained stable, I have suffered no ill effects from my diet whatsoever. Every blood test has proved, I took the right road to my diabetic salvation. For almost seven years, I have asked medical professionals and naysayers, how do I maintain non diabetic BG levels on two Metformin other than low carb ? The silence has been deafening !
    chris c

Post by chris c on Sun Mar 26 2017, 02:26

Looks beautiful!

If you spot a tall rather strange baldy guy, don't worry, it's just the spirit of my father.

He used to do a lot of fishing. After I came along, mother and I used to leave him and go on nature walks. After a while he gave up the fishing and used to come with us, pointing out the various birds. She was better with the flowers.

I remember catching minnows at Holmsley (and trout in the stream) and on Burley Lawn. Probably illegal but no-one cared in those days.

You reminded me I haven't been to the lake at Needham Market for a long time. They had some carp the size of submarines. Some of the other fishing lakes have no public access. Best not to go anywhere near Sowley Pond.
    Jan1

Post by Jan1 on Sun Mar 26 2017, 11:49

What beautiful weather we have enjoyed so far this weekend.

We have been out and about in the Chilterns enjoying the wonderful countryside. The hills looked glorious. Also fortunate to enjoy seeing windmills and watermills, as well as the wildlife and plants along the hedgerows.

I can see why Spring is one of my favourite seasons ...

All the best Jan

Current date/time is Thu May 25 2017, 11:31