THE LOW CARB DIABETIC

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
THE LOW CARB DIABETIC

Promoting a low carb high fat lifestyle for the safe control of diabetes. Eat whole fresh food, more drugs are not the answer.

Welcome to the Low Carb Diabetic forum,have you signed up yet? if not then sign up and join us in the low carb community today!

+5
Paul1976
mo1905
Eddie
Andy12345
graham64
9 posters

Spring Is On The Way

Andy12345
    Andy12345

Male Posts : 1646

Spring Is On The Way - Page 3 Empty Re: Spring Is On The Way

Post by Andy12345 Tue Feb 21 2017, 04:40

chris c wrote:I saw my first daffodil in flower today. Well of course someone might have started it in a greenhouse and planted it out but it looked like the first one of a clump, there are plenty showing their buds now, and a few where you can see the yellow. I have some more crocuses out too, including a lovely lilac patch of Thomasinianus. When I was young and learning the names of dad's flowers I wondered who Thomas was and what his arsehole had to do with flowers.

One of my earliest childhood memories was of fine February days when the sun came out and the entire garden burst into a sheet of lilac flowers, often buzzing with bees from a local beekeeper, while Viscounts and Vanguards flew overhead to Heathrow and Gatwick. They're one of the best for naturalising, I don't know if they're toxic but the mice seem to leave them alone while eating the yellow ones and other varieties. We also used to have sparrows peck the yellow flowered ones to pieces. Oh and I also remember being enthralled to watch the red ants collecting the seeds when they set later in the year and carrying them underground. They also did that with cyclamen, one of his favourite flowers which also naturalised and spread well around his garden.

Someone was out with a mower on Sunday. I usually put off doing mine as long as possible because once you start you just can't stop until November, or even Christmas.

BTDT with the frogs and cat turds both. One year I bent down to do some weeding and smelt cat shit. When I did the same in another part of the garden the same thing happened. Only when it happened for a third time did I realise I'd actually trodden on the turd and it was embedded in the treads of my boot.

You don't live near Banstead do you Chris? Could have been my mower

I love frogs in the garden, we have them living along the edge of a fence, I assume it's damp enough for them with a food supply as they've been there forever, I leave the grass along that edge wild so as not to mince the frogs

I love cutting the grass, I sometimes do it a few times a week, need to practice my putting Smile
    Eddie
    Eddie

Male Posts : 3807

Post by Eddie Tue Feb 21 2017, 18:15

"I love cutting the grass, I sometimes do it a few times a week, need to practice my putting"

Andy, I suppose fishing has gone out of the window since you become one of the landed gentry. rofl
    Andy12345
    Andy12345

Post by Andy12345 Tue Feb 21 2017, 18:21

Eddie wrote:"I love cutting the grass, I sometimes do it a few times a week, need to practice my putting"

Andy, I suppose fishing has gone out of the window since you become one of the landed gentry. rofl

Nah never give up me fishing

Trouble is with fishing is I'm not satisfied with anything less than a 4 day stint, I don't even start to settle in until the second night, hard to find that much time, but as soon as I succeed in replacing myself at work I'll be bang on it, now the girls are older they don't care if I'm at home or even alive so I'm good to go, it's just stoopid work
    Eddie
    Eddie

Post by Eddie Tue Feb 21 2017, 18:28

Andy12345 wrote:
    Eddie wrote:"I love cutting the grass, I sometimes do it a few times a week, need to practice my putting"

Nah never give up me fishing

Trouble is with fishing is I'm not satisfied with anything less than a 4 day stint, I don't even start to settle in until the second night, hard to find that much time, but as soon as I succeed in replacing myself at work I'll be bang on it, now the girls are older they don't care if I'm at home or even alive so I'm good to go, it's just stoopid work

"4 day stint"

Jeez that's about my limit from staying away from a Pub and half way sober. affraid
    Andy12345
    Andy12345

Post by Andy12345 Tue Feb 21 2017, 18:31

Hehe, your welcome to that, I just don't understand alcohol
    Andy12345
    Andy12345

Post by Andy12345 Tue Feb 21 2017, 18:33

Being offered a beer, sounds like being offered a 24 flu to me, errrr no thanks
    Eddie
    Eddie

Post by Eddie Tue Feb 21 2017, 18:35

Andy12345 wrote:Hehe, your welcome to that, I just don't understand alcohol

Nor do I, and the more I drink, the less I understand about anything, RESULT! rofl
    Andy12345
    Andy12345

Post by Andy12345 Tue Feb 21 2017, 18:37

Lol fair enough Smile
    chris c
    chris c

Post by chris c Wed Feb 22 2017, 22:51

No, I live in Suffolk now, haven't gone Sahf of the Rivvah since 2011 and that was to the New Forest.

Drove out to Covehithe yesterday, since I went last year a whole bunch more cliff has fallen into the sea. There was a load of fresh new beach sand and further modifications to the broad (a big lake just behind the sea) and shoreline since the recent storms. Last year (or the year before) there was reputed to be a Smew (female) which I missed, but did find a magnificent male Goldeneye. This year not much of interest, mostly Mallards and Wigeon and assorted gulls including a possible juvenile Glaucous, there have been several hanging around the area, but probably just a light coloured Great Blackback, and a possible Caspian. A Snipe, an Oystercatcher, and a Ringed Plover or two on the beach, and a few Greeylags on the pig fields.

I got talking to a photographer who'd walked up the beach in the other direction and found an entire underground building which had been washed out of the cliff and was lying upside down on the beach. Probably ex-military, there used to be a Chain-Home radar station and an airfield, but could possibly have been something agricultural. I thought a pill-box or a gun emplacement, and after he'd gone possibly a ground anchor for a barrage balloon, or even an underground boilerhouse for a Victorian greenhouse. He knew someone who was a local historian and was going to show them his photos.

With this next storm on the way God knows what will be there by next week.

Well on the way out I saw a whole row of daffs in flower, and masses more snowdrops, and on the way back a few bunches of roadside primroses in some field ditches. More of my assorted crocuses are out now too but maybe not for long. Much more birdsong too as the sun goes down. Oh and I saw the first bees on some of the crocuses but I think some kind of wild ones.

It was just the kind of day to have a massive hunk of Aberdeen Angus steak with purple sprouting, so that's exactly what I had. Later I had a bolognese-type sauce with the Brussels sprouts too. Today I didn't do much so have only had a pheasant stir-fry with bacon and the usual veg mix, and probably a buttered oatcake with some form of cheese later. Maybe two, I have Vacherin Mont d'Or, Wells Alpine and Appleby Cheshire this week. decisions, decisions . . .
    Jan1
    Jan1

Female Posts : 5094

Post by Jan1 Thu Feb 23 2017, 18:42

Wasn't too spring like today ...

Just to say - we have really enjoyed Robson Green Coastal Path series these last weeks.

In the last of the series he was at Maldon, we always like visiting there - see more here http://thelowcarbdiabetic.blogspot.co.uk/2012/03/maldon.html

Robson also went to a great, and Internationally important, coastal nature reserve, with a fascinating 20th-century military history "Orford Ness National Nature Reserve"

Read and see more here https://www.nationaltrust.org.uk/orford-ness-national-nature-reserve

The only bird I spotted today was a pigeon and the poor daffodils that were coming along nicely were taking quite a beating from Storm Doris ... wow the wind was howling.

Hope everyone stayed safe

All the best Jan
    graham64
    graham64

Male Posts : 3730

Post by graham64 Thu Feb 23 2017, 22:17

Doris blew in today accompanied with heavy rain, though we do appear to have got off lightly doesn't seem to be much damage  around all fencing panels intact and I haven't seen any trees down on my way to the shops 

Biggest gripe is I have a new load of leaves settled on the garden Sad
    Andy12345
    Andy12345

Post by Andy12345 Fri Feb 24 2017, 02:49

so happy I replaced all my fence posts with concrete last summer, fence survived fine, first time in donkeys
    graham64
    graham64

Post by graham64 Fri Feb 24 2017, 21:34

Andy12345 wrote:so happy I replaced all my fence posts with concrete last summer, fence survived fine, first time in donkeys

Good move Andy, when I moved into my place many years ago I replaced all the wooden posts with concrete ones  Cool
    chris c
    chris c

Post by chris c Fri Feb 24 2017, 23:41

Yes it blowed a fair bit here. Fortunately the hills to the west screen us from the worst of it. The wind blew into the bottom of one of my compost bins and the lid flew up into a tree, and I picked up a few flowerpots that had blown onto the lawn.

Just down the road a huge old ivy-covered oak had gone down and the roots were all out of the ground.

Elsewhere a few branches broken off and a few other smaller old ivy-covered trees were affected.

I drove out through a bunch of villages, lots of daffs out now, including one on my lawn - February Gold, almost missing its vocation. Snowdrops everywhere, still more primroses and some big patches of yellow Dutch crocuses in a nearby town, the purple ones that adjoin them aren't showing yet.

Not a few hares about in the fields which reminded me I haven't seen many in the back field this winter, and not yet heard many skylarks singing either.

Orford Ness requires a boat trip. Mainly I walk on the landward side of the estuary and just look at it over the water. Which reminds me I haven't been there for a while. The sea wall can be pretty dire in the wind, especially after it's rained and the clay gets very slippy.

I wonder what the next storm will be, Ermintrude?
    Jan1
    Jan1

Post by Jan1 Sat Feb 25 2017, 08:37

Chris said "I wonder what the next storm will be, Ermintrude?"

Good question - does anyone know how they choose the names of these storms?

All the best Jan
    chris c
    chris c

Post by chris c Sat Feb 25 2017, 23:15

They ask a CBeebies presenter?

Didn't do much today, except notice that the first coltsfoots are out in the garden. Strangely I felt compelled to have lunch - which I seldom do - a big hunk of salmon with toasted almonds and spinach, and I just finished dinner - bolognese-like sauce including my usual peppers, chillies, garlic and olives with purple sprouting substituting for the spaghetti. Probably an early night and see if it stopped raining by tomorrow. Now back to catching up on Twitter . . .

https://twitter.com/tednaiman/status/782010845412724736
    graham64
    graham64

Post by graham64 Sat Feb 25 2017, 23:38

Ermintrude  Shocked holy cow I've heard of it's raining cats an dogs but 

Spring Is On The Way - Page 3 9k=
    Jan1
    Jan1

Post by Jan1 Sun Feb 26 2017, 18:43

graham64 wrote:Ermintrude  Shocked holy cow I've heard of it's raining cats an dogs but 

Spring Is On The Way - Page 3 9k=

LOL!
    They did have some characters on The Magic Roundabout

All the best Jan
    Jan1
    Jan1

Post by Jan1 Sun Feb 26 2017, 18:48

Well the wind was certainly blowing as I walked from the car park to the supermarket earlier, I usually try to avoid going on a Sunday and was surprised to see how busy the shop was!

The daffodils that are coming up by the local church wall are hanging in there - but they are being blown one way and then the other in this strong breeze.

I did see a tree in blossom, it was white blossom ... sorry to say I don't know what the tree is called ... perhaps should have taken a picture to show you.

How's your (Spring) Sunday been?

All the best Jan
    chris c
    chris c

Post by chris c Sun Feb 26 2017, 23:27

Could have been a wild plum? They precede the blackthorn.

A couple of below average days here but I have a bunch of stripy violet crocuses out, imperatii I think

https://www.pottertons.co.uk/pott/uploads/Crocus-imperatii-ssp-suaveo.jpg

Heather has some Iris Harmony nearly out

http://l7.alamy.com/zooms/7f4945abb8a14088917e27120cc6879f/iris-reticulata-harmony-b9nhjt.jpg

I had some Katherine Hodgkin

https://1.bp.blogspot.com/-n-8q8JKjbDE/VOvCi4wciII/AAAAAAAAcsc/m8bsoI-vmZQ/s1600/iris-Katherine-Hodgkin.jpg

but the rain and wind have turned them inside out
    chris c
    chris c

Post by chris c Mon Feb 27 2017, 22:47

Spotted a gorgeous carmine camellia in a woodland garden today, somewhat early. They have an annoying habit of flowering just before a frost which turns the flowers and buds into brown mush, but if they survive that they are beautiful. The best ones here are in a garden by the river, but the (new?) owners rebuilt their wall and took out the old wrought iron gates which they replaced with solid wooden ones, so now the public can't see in. Spoilsports.
    Jan1
    Jan1

Post by Jan1 Tue Feb 28 2017, 19:45

I love Camellia's ... the pink are my favourite.

... after Storm Doris it's now Storm Ewan Exclamation

Stay dry, keep warm, be safe

All the best Jan
    graham64
    graham64

Post by graham64 Tue Feb 28 2017, 22:15

Springs still a long way off it's been raining and bitterly cold all day
    Jan1
    Jan1

Post by Jan1 Wed Mar 01 2017, 12:10

I have been down South these past couple of days, and interestingly all the flowers etc are further advanced. The daffodils especially were looking so cheerful.

I can't believe we are now in March, 2017 is going as fast as 2016 !!!

All the best Jan
    chris c
    chris c

Post by chris c Wed Mar 01 2017, 23:53

It's coming thick and fast now, some kind of wintersweet scenting the air in the churchyard and outside the dentist's and doctor's.

Sarcocca I think.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Mar 29 2024, 00:33