The Low Carb Diabetic

Promoting a low carb high fat lifestyle for the safe control of diabetes. Eat whole fresh food, more drugs are not the answer.

Welcome to the Low Carb Diabetic forum,have you signed up yet? if not then sign up and join us in the low carb community today!

Spring Is On The Way

chris c

Re: Spring Is On The Way

Post by chris c on Wed Apr 25 2018, 23:33

Yup it clouded over while I was walking and I got back to the car just as the april shower began. Predictably just after I got home the sun came out again.

Lots more flowers and leaves on the trees in all those various shades of green.

The winter woolly is now back on.
    Jan1

Female Posts : 4802

Post by Jan1 on Thu Apr 26 2018, 18:55

Chris said:
    "The winter woolly is now back on."

Yes, it has got quite windy and is cooler today ... I'm thinking we may have another bad spell of weather before it starts to improve again.

Perhaps we expect too much, after all it's not May yet.

My dear mum always used to say 'never cast a clout 'til May was out'

My coat was firmly zipped up against the wind today, despite a few moments of blue sky.

All the best Jan

Long birder

Post by Long birder on Thu Apr 26 2018, 20:26

Cold up north at the moment and there is still a small snowdrift at the top of Skiddaw.  Years ago it was always there until c.May 1st and it looks as if it will be like it use to be in the cold winters of the past.  It recent years the snow drifts disappeared mid March.

We expect to see the top drift on Cross Fell to disappear by mid May, as it did in the 70's.

One has to go to the Highlands to see snowdrifts on the mountains in summer.

10,000 years ago there were glaciers and 18000 years ago there was an ice sheet, so if it came again we might have to move in another 28000 years! Smile
    ATB
    Derek
    Jan1

Post by Jan1 on Fri Apr 27 2018, 17:01

"10,000 years ago there were glaciers and 18000 years ago there was an ice sheet, so if it came again we might have to move in another 28000 years!"
    ... goodness!!!

A neighbour did tell me that snow is in the forecast for some this coming weekend Sad I'm not too sure

No snow boots required but we had to use the umbrella when we ventured out earlier.

All the best Jan
    chris c

Post by chris c on Mon Apr 30 2018, 00:02

Yup pretty miserable here too, cold, blowy and foggy with masses of rain predicted overnight. It feels like we had midsummer and are now in autumn, except for the leaves on the trees just emerging and the rape in flower.
    graham64

Male Posts : 3609

Post by graham64 on Mon Apr 30 2018, 21:22

Can't complain about the weather here  Cool Saturday was the best after a cloudy start the sun broke through and with only a light breeze it was a pleasantly warm spring day which I spent catching up with the gardening, Sunday was cooler with overcast skies but no rain, today has been mainly sunny but on the cool side due to the wind  sunny

Proving the LowCarb sceptics wrong for over ten years

Not all cherubs are Angels  Wink nor all diabetics Bonkers  Rolling Eyes
    chris c

Post by chris c on Wed May 02 2018, 22:42

Another sunny day in between the rainy ones, I walked over some fields but saw nothing out of the ordinary. Just for now the winter woolly is staying on.
    chris c

Post by chris c on Fri May 04 2018, 21:31

OK the woolly came off again today, a lovely sunny warm day though with a bit of a chill blast near the coast. I walked round the quarry and lake, and sat and watched a Speckled Wood defending its territory of sunbeams and sycamore saplings, then two more flew past having a battle and nearly collided with me. Lots of orange tips too.

Then I walked in a bluebell wood where they are pretty much in full flower, and ended up at Hen Reedbeds sitting in the sun watching and listening to various birds. I forgot to mention in the "birds" thread there was a Wheatear sitting on top of one of the fence posts. They like fence posts here, we mainly only see them on passage in spring and autumn. They used to be on the heather moors in the New Forest when I was young but I don't know if they still are. Mostly I recall them from the Pennines and elsewhere to the north and west.

Rumour has it it will stay fine over the Bank Holiday weekend.
    chris c

Post by chris c on Mon May 21 2018, 22:39

Too many changes to keep up with. Hawthorns and Horse Chestnuts in full flower, plus both garden and wild roses starting out, and elders. Lilacs too but I prefer the scent from a distance. Clematis Montanas all over the village including in my garden, some of them are scented too but much more subtle. Wildflowers of all kinds and the grasses are starting to flower too so hay fever sufferers, be warned.

Spotted my first dragonfly today, I think a broad bodied chaser flitting over the pond and parking on various brambles in the sunshine.

Best news is the asparagus is back!
    graham64

Male Posts : 3609

Post by graham64 on Tue May 22 2018, 22:39

The welcome good weather continues apart from a blip on Friday when rain is forecast the outlook into next week is more of the same with temperatures on the rise  sunny The road outside has gone from being a mud bath to a dust bowl  the first time this year it has dried out

Proving the LowCarb sceptics wrong for over ten years

Not all cherubs are Angels  Wink nor all diabetics Bonkers  Rolling Eyes

Long birder

Post by Long birder on Wed May 23 2018, 13:20

@graham64 wrote:The welcome good weather continues apart from a blip on Friday when rain is forecast the outlook into next week is more of the same with temperatures on the rise  sunny The road outside has gone from being a mud bath to a dust bowl  the first time this year it has dried out
    Same here Graham, the farmers will be unhappy, but then again it's nothing new!Smile D.
    Jan1

Post by Jan1 on Wed May 23 2018, 17:22

It's just a wonderful time of year ...

Much more sunshine today, and I think the Bank Holiday weekend is going to be sunny too thumb-up

Locally and further afield there are Carnivals, Food Fares, Dinosaur Trails and a host more other activities for those who may wish to take part/go.

All the best Jan
    chris c

Post by chris c on Wed May 23 2018, 22:16

Sounds good for the second Bank Holiday in a row. Friends are heading out to North Norfolk, to see the seal colony at Blakeney Point among other things. Poppies are now out all over, part of Norfolk further east was known as Poppyland.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat Sep 22 2018, 12:42