The Low Carb Diabetic

Promoting a low carb high fat lifestyle for the safe control of diabetes. Eat whole fresh food, more drugs are not the answer.

Welcome to the Low Carb Diabetic forum,have you signed up yet? if not then sign up and join us in the low carb community today!

Metformin inhibits castration-induced EMT in prostate cancer by repressing COX2/PGE2/STAT3 axis

yoly

Metformin inhibits castration-induced EMT in prostate cancer by repressing COX2/PGE2/STAT3 axis

Post by yoly on Tue Jan 17 2017, 15:13

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/28043910

Abstract

Castration is the standard therapeutic treatment for advanced prostate cancer but with limited benefit due to the profound relapse and metastasis. Activation of inflammatory signaling pathway and initiation of epithelial-mesenchymal transition (EMT) are closely related to drug resistance, tumor relapseas well as metastasis. In this study, we demonstrated that metformin is capable of inhibiting prostate cancer cell migration and invasion by repressing EMT evidenced by downregulating the mesenchymal markers N-cadherin, Vimentin, and Twist and upregulating the epithelium E-cadherin. These effects have also been observed in our animal model as well as prostate cancer patients. In addition, we showed the effects of metformin on the expression of genes involved in EMT through repressing the levels of COX2, PGE2 and phosphorylated STAT3. Furthermore, inactivating COX2 abolishes metformin's regulatory effects and exogenously administered PGE2 is capable of enhancing STAT3 phosphorylation and expression of EMT biomarker. We propose that metformin represses prostate cancer EMT and metastasis through targeting the COX2/PGE2/STAT3 axis. These findings suggest that metformin by itself or in combination with other anticancer drugs could be used as an anti-metastasis therapy.
    Eddie

Male Posts : 3805

Re: Metformin inhibits castration-induced EMT in prostate cancer by repressing COX2/PGE2/STAT3 axis

Post by Eddie on Tue Jan 17 2017, 18:58

Good grief, the positives for Metformin grow by the month, and in the UK the cost to the NHS is a few £pounds per month per patient. Millions have used Met with very minimal side effects, if any, some using the drug for decades. I am glad I have stayed with Met for over 8 years. Onwards and upwards. thumb-up

Type two diabetic-low carb diet (50 carbs per day) and two 500mg Metformin pills per day. Apart from diagnosis HbA1c almost 12-all HbA1c results none diabetic. For over eight years my diabetes medication has not changed. My weight has remained stable, I have suffered no ill effects from my diet whatsoever. Every blood test has proved, I took the right road to my diabetic salvation. For almost seven years, I have asked medical professionals and naysayers, how do I maintain non diabetic BG levels on two Metformin other than low carb ? The silence has been deafening !
    chris c

Re: Metformin inhibits castration-induced EMT in prostate cancer by repressing COX2/PGE2/STAT3 axis

Post by chris c on Wed Jan 18 2017, 22:20

Yes agreed, one of the few "diabetes drugs" with benefits.

This ties in nicely with some of the current thoughts on cancer as a metabolic disease - one of metformin's targets is to improve the functioning of the mitochondria.

"Onward and upward", that'll be the prostate exam then?

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Oct 18 2018, 09:53