The Low Carb Diabetic

Promoting a low carb high fat lifestyle for the safe control of diabetes. Eat whole fresh food, more drugs are not the answer.

Welcome to the Low Carb Diabetic forum,have you signed up yet? if not then sign up and join us in the low carb community today!

Well I don't know any of you.......................

Meredith

Female Posts : 11

Well I don't know any of you.......................

Post by Meredith on Wed Sep 24 2014, 15:49

Hi, I'm Pam, Not sure if I'm supposed to post here to say hi, or somewhere else :-) You all seem to know each other from a previous forum........ nice to meet you anyway...

I'm a Brit living in Greece, and have been borderline for a couple of years now. I've been LCHF on and off for years, and the off times can be prolonged unfortunately! Definitely an addiction. Anyway I've been strict and good for several weeks now and always find my FBG goes up, what's the name for that? Physiological insulin resistance??? It's been mid 6s for 2 weeks then this morning it was 7.5! Not happy :-( as that's proper diabetic level.
    I know I need to go to the doc or something, and maybe restart the Metformin I was taking a year ago; but was wondering if anyone had any hints as to what I can do to help this situation.
    Andy12345

Male Posts : 1638

Re: Well I don't know any of you.......................

Post by Andy12345 on Wed Sep 24 2014, 15:53

Hi, Welcome Smile

if its an early morning reading? that could just be the dawn phenomenon? where our livers kindly chuck out some glucose?

great to have you on board Smile
    Meredith

Post by Meredith on Wed Sep 24 2014, 15:56

Hi, thank you Very Happy Yes its early morning, and I've heard of dawn phenomenon, but 7.5 is a bit to high for me....
    Andy12345

Male Posts : 1638

Post by Andy12345 on Wed Sep 24 2014, 16:12

perhaps a rogue reading? did you retest? the other day i tested 3 times from the same prick hole within a minute of each other and the numbers went 8... 6.... 5.... no idea why, i retested because the first reading was oddly high for me, the margin for error on the meters is a pain, or perhaps you have an underlying illness lurking? stressed out over something? there are so many factors that can mess with our numbers
    Paul1976

Male Posts : 2434

Post by Paul1976 on Wed Sep 24 2014, 16:16

Welcome Pam! Smile

The Dawn Phenomenon can be a right pain in the rear end and my morning readings are hit and miss! Sad
    I sometimes have readings in the 8's of a morning and I've tried many things increasing my bedtime basal insulin which resulted in me going too low overnight and then rebounding high and some folks suggested to me about having a nightcap such as a G&T or the like-that didn't work either so no easy answer but I see you were once on Metformin? Did you stop it due to side effects? If you tolerate it well it might be worth trying it again as although it only reduces your glucose levels by 1 or 2 mmol/l at best it is considered a pretty safe drug and may help-LCHF is the biggest thing you can do to improve your levels in general even if your morning readings are less than perfect-sometimes there is just nothing you can do to trick the Dawn phenomenon and it's something some of us sadly have to learn to live with.

Best wishes

Paul

Male Posts : 208

Post by Dillinger on Wed Sep 24 2014, 17:27

Hi Pam,

If you can tolerate Metformin it can be good for the dawn phenomenon; if you came off it because of stomach issues you can get a slow release/enteric coated version that is easier to put up with.

Best

Dillinger
    Meredith

Post by Meredith on Wed Sep 24 2014, 17:46

Yes I did retest Andy, and it only went down a couple of points... Your retest sounds ridiculous! I heard there could be some difference, but 8, 6, 5 is a bit much.
    I think its possible I'm brewing a cold so maybe that's it..... I'll keep a close check for a few days and see what happens.
    Maybe I do need to consider going back on the Metformin, I did OK with it but was only on a low dose and understand it needs to be much higher to have any effect. I didn't have too bad stomach effects so not worried about that, I was just hoping LCHF might do the trick, but it does seem to make the dawn phenomenon worse for me (if thats what it is) Since I've been being strict my morning fastings have risen from mid 5s to now this 7.5!
    Thanks very much for the responses :-)
    Jan1

Female Posts : 4406

Post by Jan1 on Wed Sep 24 2014, 17:55

Hi Meredith (Pam) - just taking time to say a warm welcome.  sunny

You may have seen I'm not a diabetic but live the LCHF lifestyle, and have been doing this for six years.

I'm sure many here will be able to answer your questions and help you on your journey .......indeed they have already. Do ask as many questions as you need to. Talking and exchanging views and ideas  is what helps so many people.

All the best Jan
    mo1905

Male Posts : 2303

Post by mo1905 on Wed Sep 24 2014, 18:32

Hi Pam and welcome to the forum. As others have mention, "dawn phenomenon" is very common and not easy to control. Are your levels good for the rest of the day ? If you see your doc and are offered metformin, it's a relatively safe drug but as Dillinger mentions, request the SR, slow release version, much kinder on the stomach.

Female Posts : 377

Post by AliB on Wed Sep 24 2014, 20:26

Hi Pam. Welcome.

In the 'Diabetes Miracle' book I got the other day, Diane Kress reckons the liver works on a 4-5 hour rotation. In other words, if you haven't eaten for 4-5 hours, the liver will pump out a load of glucose to keep the levels up.

Her suggestion is to have a small amount of carb, no more than 5 grams, just before bed to prevent the liver from off loading its glucose supply. She also reckons, if you are awake, to have some more during the night, to do the same, and then make sure you eat within an hour of waking. Keep the liiver fed with a little carb during the day every 4-5 hours, either with a meal or a snack. It only needs to be enough to stop any hypo.

The idea is to train the liver into 'thinking' it doesn't need the glucose stores any more and can dump them. Whilst that may push the BG up temporarily, apparently it should stop once the liver has emptied.

This doesn't work for me as I produce very little if any insulin of my own, and only get hypos if I've injected too much, but if you do get hypos and are not on insulin, this may help.

I know another member has tried her diet and lost weight on it and it seems to work for him. There's a bit of a thread on it somewhere.
    Meredith

Post by Meredith on Wed Sep 24 2014, 21:27

Surprised Thank you for the welcome Jan, and the advice from others. Yes Mo, my levels are pretty good the rest of the day - so long as I don't eat a big fat carby meal of course - I'm thinking Metformin might be the answer. We are a little restricted and they don't stock everything on my island :-) But I'm sure the pharmacy can get me slow release ones if I ask.
    Ali, that looks like another book I might need to buy :-) I don't get real hypos, though I sometimes feel like it, but on testing am fine.

Much appreciate all the welcomes and advice. Sleep Time for bed..............
    EvenMoreHeathen

Post by EvenMoreHeathen on Wed Sep 24 2014, 21:33

Welcome, Pam Very Happy

Signy
    graham64

Male Posts : 3165

Post by graham64 on Wed Sep 24 2014, 23:16

Hi Pam welcome, I've had problems with dawn phenomenon ever since I was diagnosed over six years ago, I can't offer a solution because as far as I can find out nobody has ever come up with one proven to work, keeping carbs to a minimum at breakfast does help get my BG down to acceptable levels though.

There is one way not approved by the medical profession mind and that is a nice bottle of red wine drunken

Graham

Proving the LowCarb sceptics wrong for over nine years,

Not all cherubs are Angels  Wink nor all diabetics Bonkers  Rolling Eyes
    Meredith

Post by Meredith on Thu Sep 25 2014, 07:43

Good morning all bounce
    Well it was back to my "normal" this morning - 6.5 - so maybe it was just a glitch. Would still prefer a little lower than 6.5 but its much better than yesterdays.

I downloaded the Diabetic miracle book onto my ipad, so have got some more reading matter.
    mo1905

Male Posts : 2303

Post by mo1905 on Thu Sep 25 2014, 09:34

6.5 is pretty good first thing and if your levels are good throughout the day, you're doing well :-)

Post by Paul1976 on Thu Sep 25 2014, 09:56

As Mo says,6.5 fasted isn't terrible considering your problems with DP Smile If your levels are in check for the rest of the time then you're doing extremely well Smile

Post by Meredith on Sun Sep 28 2014, 20:28

Yep, its been 6.5 then 6.7 so that's pretty normal for me. Must have been brewing something up when I had the 7.5, but all ok for now :-)
    Paul1976

Post by Paul1976 on Mon Sep 29 2014, 14:40

@Meredith wrote:Yep, its been 6.5 then 6.7 so that's pretty normal for me. Must have been brewing something up when I had the 7.5, but all ok for now :-)

That's great to hear! Smile Sometimes a simple infection or stress can mess things up with our levels quite badly(I had a 19.6 on my meter the other day despite eating about 20 grams of carbs that day but I was very stressed) but as long as your levels are good for the majority of the time then that's what counts IMO.

Cheers

Paul

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Wed Jan 24 2018, 05:28