The Low Carb Diabetic

Promoting a low carb high fat lifestyle for the safe control of diabetes. Eat whole fresh food, more drugs are not the answer.

Welcome to the Low Carb Diabetic forum,have you signed up yet? if not then sign up and join us in the low carb community today!

Politicians, BDA dietitians and other bullshiters part 1

Eddie

Male Posts : 3794

Politicians, BDA dietitians and other bullshiters part 1

Post by Eddie on Sat Dec 10 2016, 17:51

Politicians, BDA dietitians and other bullshiters part 1 or  "Trust Me I'm Not A BDA Dietitian"

There is no doubt about it, the worlds greatest bullshiters are politicians, followed closely by the average dietitian. Politico's say one thing when they mean the opposite, just about anything to keep the masses subdued and toeing the line. The average dietitian runs them pretty close, they have some great lines in passing the buck and exonerating themselves of responsibility for the failure of clients and patients, especially diabetics. Now, at this stage I would be the first to admit, some people are beyond help, no matter how sound and logical the dietary information presented to them, it goes in one ear and out the other. Unfortunately, most dietary information to diabetics from dietitians is a very long way from being sound and logical.

For example, all carbohydrates turn to sugars once digested. The most allergic to sugar people on the planet are diabetics, yet dietitians recommend starchy carbohydrates (bread, rice, pasta and potatoes etc) as a basis for meals. Bear in mind there is no such thing as an essential carbohydrate, this has been accepted as sound science for a long time, fats and proteins are essential, without them we die. You may be surprised to learn almost all whole fresh foods (with the exception of most fruits and some root vegetables) are low carb (as shown below) therefore low sugar. I am talking about food straight from the farm or sea, not failed science experiments from the likes of Danone, Abbott Nutrition, Nestle, Cereal Partners, BelVita Breakfast Biscuits and Coca Cola sponsors to the British Dietetic Association. So what about the bullshit you may be thinking.

When it comes to passing the buck, dietitians have turned bullshit into a complete and highly polished art form. Some of the usual get out of jail free card baloney "the patients failed to comply with dietary advice" often said by an over weight or morbidly obese dietitian, who clearly follows the 'advice' "no one size fits all", well I can prove the dietary advice I follow does fit all. Anyone want to argue, eating whole fresh food and avoiding highly processed, high sugar foods is not the way to go? "our recommendations are evidenced based" whose evidence? big pharma's or junk food companies. The fact is, many dietitians are very easily swayed, especially when money and sponsorship is involved, as we reported some time ago here. http://thelowcarbdiabetic.blogspot.co.uk/2013/12/belvita-breakfast-failed-science.html

""Last weekend the Food and Drink Team took Belvita Breakfast to BDA Live, the annual British Dietetics Association conference. As headline sponsor the team was on hand to help keep the dietitians going all morning. Whether they visited the breakfast bar or attended the breakfast workshops they had the opportunity to hear about the science and nutrition behind the brand. The conference was a great success with 82% of dietitians agreeing Belvita Breakfast is a good option for breakfast and 71% admitting we had changed their previous perception"

One very high profile dietitian was claiming potatoes to be a "super food" as evidenced at link, while acting as a dietitian for the potato council and BDA spokesperson.  http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-2142256/The-ultimate-wonder-food-The-humble-potato-nutrients-vitamins-minerals-traditional-superfoods.html

"Sian Porter, the Potato Council's consultant dietitian, told the Daily Express: 'It is important to have a wide variety of foods in your diet but sometimes our heads are turned by new things and we underestimate old favourites like potatoes and how they compare to other, often more expensive "superfoods"

Potatoes "superfood" yes and the moon is made of cheese. Which brings me to another standard cop out for dietitians when I quote them, from articles I have read in the media "I was misquoted I never said that" if that is the case, why is a retraction and clarification never made? And does Sian really believe spuds are a super food. Do 82% of BDA dietitians believe " Belvita Breakfast is a good option for breakfast" good option to what, a pound of condemned veal.

Disclaimer

I do know some excellent dietitians, unfortunately very few work in the UK. A break-away group in the US are called Dietitians For Professional Integrity who stated upon formation. Link  http://integritydietitians.org/

"Our efforts are guided by professional integrity. We believe the American public deserves nutrition information that is not tainted by food industry interests. Those of us who co-founded Dietitians for Professional Integrity are nutrition experts first and foremost; we went to school to help people achieve better health through food, not to help multinational food companies sell more unhealthy products"

Until the British Dietetic Association, severs all links with what are increasingly known as junk food outfits, they will have to continue to plead at every opportunity with their strap line "Trust A Dietitian" How long before UK dietitians dump the BDA and form their own 'Dietitians for Professional Integrity'  One thing seems clear to me, the BDA is doing nothing for the reputations of the honest, well informed members and many must be appalled at the junk food sponsorship. How long before we hear "Trust Me I'm Not A BDA Dietitian"

Type two diabetic-low carb diet (50 carbs per day) and two 500mg Metformin pills per day. Apart from diagnosis HbA1c almost 12-all HbA1c results none diabetic. For over eight years my diabetes medication has not changed. My weight has remained stable, I have suffered no ill effects from my diet whatsoever. Every blood test has proved, I took the right road to my diabetic salvation. For almost seven years, I have asked medical professionals and naysayers, how do I maintain non diabetic BG levels on two Metformin other than low carb ? The silence has been deafening !
    graham64

Male Posts : 3340

Re: Politicians, BDA dietitians and other bullshiters part 1

Post by graham64 on Sat Dec 10 2016, 23:36

The influence of Cereal Partners UK is evident on the BDA's healthy breakfast fact sheet with a picture of what looks like Kellogg's frosties  Mad

Here’s an example meal pIan for a quick and easy breakfast:

bowl of fortified wholegrain cereal with semiskimmed/skimmed or 1% milk • fruit (fresh/tinned in juice/dried/frozen) • small glass of pure, unsweetened fruit juice • wholegrain or granary toast with poly monounsaturated reduced low fat spread or wholegrain bread or rolls, wholegrain English muffins, malt loaf, fruit bread, currant bun or bagel

Proving the LowCarb sceptics wrong for over ten years

Not all cherubs are Angels  Wink nor all diabetics Bonkers  Rolling Eyes
    chris c

Post by chris c on Sun Dec 11 2016, 23:01

Seen this?

http://bant.org.uk

and this?

https://phcuk.org

I wouldn't even wipe my arse with a Belvita. Well maybe if there was a hungry dietician around.

There are some excellent "Statements Of Concern" on the Integritydieticians blog.

As with doctors there are small but growing numbers of sensible ones who have seen through the smoke and mirrors.
    Jan1

Female Posts : 4528

Post by Jan1 on Mon Dec 12 2016, 11:24

'Real Food Rocks Cookbook'

https://phcuk.org/

Many thanks for this link Chris - I hadn't seen it

All the best Jan
    chris c

Post by chris c on Mon Dec 12 2016, 20:49

Oh but dieticians say "clean eating" is a fad! Strange how it was a fad that kept my gran alive until she was ninety, and one of my neighbours until she was 108, eh?
    chris c

Post by chris c on Mon Dec 12 2016, 21:50

as for politics, Cicero said it best: “politicians are not born, they’re excreted”.
    graham64

Post by graham64 on Mon Dec 12 2016, 22:50

@graham64 wrote:The influence of Cereal Partners UK is evident on the BDA's healthy breakfast fact sheet with a picture of what looks like Kellogg's frosties  Mad

Here’s an example meal pIan for a quick and easy breakfast:

bowl of fortified wholegrain cereal with semiskimmed/skimmed or 1% milk • fruit (fresh/tinned in juice/dried/frozen) • small glass of pure, unsweetened fruit juice • wholegrain or granary toast with poly monounsaturated reduced low fat spread or wholegrain bread or rolls, wholegrain English muffins, malt loaf, fruit bread, currant bun or bagel

The BDA say on their diabetes fact sheet as written by Sian Porter:

"People with diabetes should eat a healthy diet, the same as somebody without diabetes. It should be low in saturated fat, high in fibre and include a variety of  fruit and vegetables."

So therefore the breakfasts will be ok for us diabetics then  Evil or Very Mad But hey those on the cusp of IR who follow BDA diet will be well on the way to joining our club

Eddie

Male Posts : 3794

Post by Eddie on Mon Dec 12 2016, 23:18

My latest comments on the BDA "The utter hypocrisy of the British Dietetic Association" To much information and links to post here.

http://thelowcarbdiabetic.blogspot.co.uk/2016/12/the-utter-hypocrisy-of-british-dietetic.html

Type two diabetic-low carb diet (50 carbs per day) and two 500mg Metformin pills per day. Apart from diagnosis HbA1c almost 12-all HbA1c results none diabetic. For over eight years my diabetes medication has not changed. My weight has remained stable, I have suffered no ill effects from my diet whatsoever. Every blood test has proved, I took the right road to my diabetic salvation. For almost seven years, I have asked medical professionals and naysayers, how do I maintain non diabetic BG levels on two Metformin other than low carb ? The silence has been deafening !
    chris c

Post by chris c on Mon Dec 12 2016, 23:40

Sorry I haven't been reading the blog for a while (please don't discipline me, Master) I've been reading and rereading a whole bunch of other blogs and put it on the back burner for a while. I'll go there now.
    graham64

Post by graham64 on Tue Dec 13 2016, 22:03

BDA wrote:The British Dietetic Association (BDA) has today revealed its much-anticipated annual list of celebrity diets to avoid in the New Year 

1. Clean eating

Celebrity fans: Miranda Kerr and Jessica Alba are allegedly fans of this 'diet', and the Hemsley sisters, Madeline Shaw and Deliciously Ella reportedly advocate variations on this style of eating.

What's it all about? The idea is to avoid all processed foods and eat only 'clean' foods, by eliminating refined sugar, cooking from scratch, and choosing foods in their natural state.

However some extreme versions of clean eating will exclude gluten, grains, dairy, and even in some cases encourage a raw-food diet.

Experts' verdict: Leave the cleaning for your kitchen work surface, not your food! 

Whilst it is beneficial to reduce refined sugar and limit processed food intake, the idea of foods being 'clean' and 'dirty' is concerning. 

In some circumstances this way of thinking is a prelude to 'Orthorexia Nervosa' – an obsession with foods that the individual considers to be healthy, and elimination of any food that is deemed unhealthy. 

In many cases, foods that are actually nutritionally beneficial are deemed as unhealthy such as those containing wholegrains, fruit and dairy, with no basis in scientific evidence. 

Unless you have a medically diagnosed intolerance or allergy to these foods, there is no need to eliminate them and doing so could lead to deficiencies in your diet. 

Moreover, often clean eating substitute products – such as coconut oil, and various syrups to sweeten foods – are as high in calories, no better nutritionally and more expensive too.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/

I can see Sian Porters point this clean eating that omits junk fake foods is lacking healthy Belvita breakfast biscuits 

Total Carbohydrate  35g   15% 
    Dietary Fiber          3g    12%
    Sugars                  11g   26% 
    Added Sugars         11g   46% 

http://www.fooducate.com/app#!page=product&id=8087C89E-EAAE-11E1-83D2-1231381BA074

chris c

Post by chris c on Wed Dec 14 2016, 20:32

"In some circumstances this way of thinking is a prelude to 'Orthorexia Nervosa' – an obsession with foods that the individual considers to be healthy, and elimination of any food that is deemed unhealthy."

What, like banning (saturated) fat and meat and eating more glucose-spiking and insulin-spiking Hearthealthywholegrainswhicharen't?

"Unless you have a medically diagnosed intolerance or allergy to these foods, there is no need to eliminate them and doing so could lead to deficiencies in your diet."

Yeah I developed a deficiency of statins, H2 blockers and antidepressants and my blood levels of BP meds are incredibly low. Plus I'm not yet showing deficiency symptoms of "at least two or three diabetes medications" but I'm sure they'll appear eventually. Nearly twelve years and counting . . .

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Apr 26 2018, 03:04