The Low Carb Diabetic

Promoting a low carb high fat lifestyle for the safe control of diabetes. Eat whole fresh food, more drugs are not the answer.

Welcome to the Low Carb Diabetic forum,have you signed up yet? if not then sign up and join us in the low carb community today!

Verner Wheelock

chris c

Verner Wheelock

Post by chris c on Mon Dec 05 2016, 21:01

He appeared to have been away for a while, he's been a very busy boy!

http://vernerwheelock.com/229-diet-and-diabetes-event-in-skipton-on-10th-september-2016/

Wish I'd gone, I'd have met Marika Sboros with whom I'm slightly in love, and listened to David Unwin and Trudi Deakin both.
    Jan1

Female Posts : 4670

Re: Verner Wheelock

Post by Jan1 on Tue Dec 06 2016, 17:05

@chris c wrote:He appeared to have been away for a while, he's been a very busy boy!

http://vernerwheelock.com/229-diet-and-diabetes-event-in-skipton-on-10th-september-2016/

Wish I'd gone, I'd have met Marika Sboros with whom I'm slightly in love, and listened to David Unwin and Trudi Deakin both.

Thanks for posting this Chris ... excellent read ... right down to, and including, the final reflections ... and there was still more to read !

Final reflections

I decided to organise this meeting because of the total failure of the national policy on T2D, which is an absolute scandal. The disease is effectively out of control. Millions of people are suffering. The usual treatment is not only ineffective but is making the condition worse. As a consequence, the quality of life deteriorates to such an extent that patients become blind and may have limbs amputated. If that is not enough, those with T2D have an increased risk of heart disease, cancer and Alzheimer’s Disease. There is overwhelming evidence that the primary cause of the disease is the excessive consumption of sugar and carbohydrates. There is reliable research and hundreds of case histories, which confirm that T2D can be successfully controlled (possibly even cured) by switching to a diet which is low in carbohydrates and high in fat.

Here's the link again

All the best Jan
    Jan1

Post by Jan1 on Mon Dec 19 2016, 19:15

Another interesting article from Verner

The Role of the Market in Achieving Dietary Change

Background

We have now reached a point where it is obvious to anyone who examines the scientific evidence objectively that the habitual diet is the primary factor responsible for much of the poor standard of public health today. It is very clear that the increase in type 2 diabetes (T2D), obesity and related diseases commenced in the 1980s soon after the introduction of dietary guidelines, which emphasised the desirability of reducing the consumption of fat, especially saturated fat (SFA). This was based on a false prospectus. As a consequence, the fat intake declined and was largely replaced by increased consumption of sugar and carbohydrates. If we are to extract ourselves from this absolute mess then it is essential to reverse these trends in eating patterns. The big problem is that most of the leaders in medical and scientific fields are unwilling to accept that current guidelines are wrong. In fact, there is very powerful resistance to any proposals to make the necessary changes. Governments seem to be quite incapable of exerting any kind of authority even though the existing strategies are not sustainable in the long run. It simply will not be possible to meet the costs of treating all the diseases.

Grounds for optimism

The good news is that more and more people are discovering for themselves that they can improve their own personal health by switching to a diet which is low in carbohydrates and high in healthy fats (LCHF). I have had numerous responses on my blog from individuals who have discovered for themselves the beneficial effects of doing so. Here is one example:

“My dietician was horrified that I ate avocados and nuts “All that fat!” When I dutifully replaced them with even more carbs, my blood glucose became uncontrollable, my BP went up and my lipids got worse. I gained 15 kg all around my gut and was semi-permanently exhausted and constantly hungry.

Naturally I was accused of “failing to comply” with the diet.

When I wised up and actually stopped complying with the diet I rapidly got better. I’ve seen this story countless times, especially from diabetics. Even worse is when the dietician refuses to believe you are eating the EXACT OPPOSITE of what she said and states “I see the low fat diet is working at last!”

They are so embedded in their dogma that they can no longer observe reality. I suspect all dieticians will have seen this countless times, and come up with the same excuse that the patient is failing to comply with the diet when actually the diet is failing to comply with the patient.

A diabetic I knew was constantly hassled to “eat more carbs”. Eventually she bought a packet of Cornflakes, put it in a shopping bag and carried it to her appointments. The dietician beamed. She never ate any, just carried them to the dietician and back, for years.”

What is absolutely appalling is the attitude of so many professionals when patients report their personal success.

There is no doubt that these messages are getting through. The fact that these experiences can be shared on social media is certainly helping to spread the word.

Words above, and much more, can be read at the full article here
    http://vernerwheelock.com/236-the-role-of-the-market-in-achieving-dietary-change/

All the best Jan
    chris c

Post by chris c on Mon Dec 19 2016, 21:11

Hehe, that quote was from me! - on an earlier post.

graham64

Male Posts : 3495

Post by graham64 on Mon Dec 19 2016, 21:52

Some more quotes from the The Low-Carb Diet Controversy in Patients With Diabetes thread

"Why has every CDE and dietitian I’ve seen attempt to cajole me into eating more carbohydrates?”

“Only consult [endocrinologists]. Hate dietitians—too self righteous.”

“She is a strict believer in ADA guidelines.”

“They always ‘forget’ what diabetes is like in real-life situations. Never understand that each situation is always different.”

“They know little that’s actually helpful. It’s harsh, but I’ve been hearing the same exact recommendations for the 18 years I’ve had [type 1 diabetes] and the recommendations are not even remotely helpful—usually too starch and fruit heavy, which would lead to huge [blood glucose] roller coasters for me.”

Proving the LowCarb sceptics wrong for over ten years

Not all cherubs are Angels  Wink nor all diabetics Bonkers  Rolling Eyes
    chris c

Post by chris c on Mon Dec 19 2016, 22:25

Just think, with my new phone I will be able to catch every up-to-the minute tweet from Chris Cashin, Catherine Collins and Sian Porter. That'll improve my health no end - as long as I do the exact opposite.
    graham64

Post by graham64 on Tue Dec 20 2016, 21:46

Another new post from Verner with Trudi Deakin 

How Public Health England Distorts the Dietary Advice

At our “Diet and Diabetes” event held in Skipton in September 2016, Dr. Trudi Deakin was one of the keynote speakers. Trudi is a dietitian who has established X-PERT Health, a registered charity based in Hebden Bridge that provides a range of programmes which will enable educators and individuals to understand how the diet may be changed in order to control and prevent diabetes.  In her contribution she evaluated the reliability of the dietary advice being promoted to consumers. This has revealed some very serious deficiencies, which are described here. I am most grateful to Trudi for permission to re-produce her figures here.

In the UK, the Government relies on the Scientific Advisory Committee on Nutrition (SACN) to evaluate and interpret the scientific state of play. Then it is the responsibility of Public Health England (PHE) to translate the SACN recommendations into a format, which can be understood by the public. Although PHE is confined to England, there are similar bodies in Wales, Scotland and Northern Ireland that do the same job in those countries.

Previously I have been highly critical of conclusions reached by SACN with respect to the dietary recommendations, especially on carbohydrates (1). Leaving aside the validity of the SACN stance, Dr. Deakin has examined how accurately this is reflected in the PHE advice.

This is largely based on the recently released Eatwell Guide (2), which is:

“a visual representation of how different foods and drinks can contribute towards a healthy balanced diet.”

More: http://vernerwheelock.com/237-how-public-health-england-distorts-the-dietary-advice/

chris c

Post by chris c on Tue Dec 20 2016, 21:48

I read a while back that when Trudi rejigged the XPERT course several PCTs dropped it.
    Eddie

Male Posts : 3804

Post by Eddie on Tue Dec 20 2016, 22:00

@chris c wrote:I read a while back that when Trudi rejigged the XPERT course several PCTs dropped it.

When Trudy let the world know she was on a very low carb, very high fat diet I gave her a ring. A really lovely Woman to talk to. She confirmed what you have just said. The cost difference compared to her course cost was next to nothing. I reckon it was a ruse to PUNISH her for coming over to the dark side. I could be wrong, but........ No

Type two diabetic-low carb diet (50 carbs per day) and two 500mg Metformin pills per day. Apart from diagnosis HbA1c almost 12-all HbA1c results none diabetic. For over eight years my diabetes medication has not changed. My weight has remained stable, I have suffered no ill effects from my diet whatsoever. Every blood test has proved, I took the right road to my diabetic salvation. For almost seven years, I have asked medical professionals and naysayers, how do I maintain non diabetic BG levels on two Metformin other than low carb ? The silence has been deafening !
    graham64

Post by graham64 on Wed Dec 21 2016, 21:51

@Eddie wrote:
    @chris c wrote:I read a while back that when Trudi rejigged the XPERT course several PCTs dropped it.

When Trudy let the world know she was on a very low carb, very high fat diet I gave her a ring. A really lovely Woman to talk to. She confirmed what you have just said. The cost difference compared to her course cost was next to nothing. I reckon it was a ruse to PUNISH her for coming over to the dark side. I could be wrong, but........ No

Could it be that Trudi was punished for 'inappropriately reversing T2 diabetes'

chris c

Post by chris c on Wed Dec 21 2016, 23:09

They can pick them off one at a time but the recent 200 doctors in Canada will be a bit harder, especially since some of their Government ministers are recommending changes.
    Jan1

Post by Jan1 on Sun Oct 29 2017, 19:32

Very interesting new blog post from Verner today ...

The Contribution of Engineers to Nutrition

The chaos in nutrition

There is little doubt that nutritional science is in a real mess. Despite convincing evidence of the benefits of a diet, which is low in carbohydrates and high in healthy fats (LCHF) authorities continue to recommend diets that are high in carbohydrates and low in fat. This advice has contributed to the current high levels of obesity and Type 2 Diabetes (T2D). There is also a strong possibility that this same diet is a key factor in the development of other common chronic diseases including heart disease, cancers and Alzheimer’s Disease. The recommendations originated in the USA and were effectively adopted by the WHO so that many other nations followed suit. Enormous resources were devoted to the research on which these recommendations were based. The reality is that much of this work was very poor quality and many of the conclusions could not be justified (1). The good news is that we now have a sound understanding of the relationship between diet and health. However the bad news is that the failed policies still predominate primarily because so many of the “great and the good” in the health care professions will not accept that these policies have been so disastrous and are responsible for much poor health.

Progress at last

Looking back at how the story has evolved over the past 40-50 years, what is so striking is the contribution made by non-nutritionists to our understanding. I am particularly impressed by the results obtained by engineers. In this blog, I will highlight three, but I must emphasise that these are by no means the only ones who have helped to gain insight into the relationship between diet and body functions.

Dr Richard Bernstein

Ivor Cummins

Dave Feldman

Read the whole post with relevant links here

http://vernerwheelock.com/285-the-contribution-of-engineers-to-nutrition/

All the best Jan
    chris c

Post by chris c on Sun Oct 29 2017, 22:36

Oh thanks! I haven't looked there for a while now, it's become more than a full time job just keeping up with the Kendrickians.

Yes he makes an excellent point about engineers. Michael Eades too, they all take a problem-solving approach rather than looking for excuses as to why people are failing to follow dogma. This makes them wildly unpopular because it brings the dogma - and the ensuing profits - into question.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat Jul 21 2018, 08:31