THE LOW CARB DIABETIC

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
THE LOW CARB DIABETIC

Promoting a low carb high fat lifestyle for the safe control of diabetes. Eat whole fresh food, more drugs are not the answer.

Welcome to the Low Carb Diabetic forum,have you signed up yet? if not then sign up and join us in the low carb community today!

4 posters

Fat v Carbs with Jamie Owen BBC Documentary 2016

graham64
    graham64

Male Posts : 3730

Fat v Carbs with Jamie Owen BBC Documentary 2016 Empty Fat v Carbs with Jamie Owen BBC Documentary 2016

Post by graham64 Wed Oct 05 2016, 22:02

Published on Oct 3, 2016
    Showing as part of Live Longer Wales. Newsreader Jamie Owen is going on a diet that goes directly against government healthy eating advice - and common sense. For the past 30 years we've been told the key to a healthy lifestyle is cutting out fat. However, as a nation we've got bigger - Jamie included. A controversial new report says the current government advice is making us bigger, and that the food industry is telling us what to eat. The report says that it isn't butter, milk and other fat that is to blame - the problem lies elsewhere. Join Jamie as he investigates these weighty issues and makes himself a guinea pig for a diet that aims to make us rethink the way we try to control out waistline.

Needless to say a certain Welsh dietitian is not happy and appears to be confused  Shocked

Fat v Carbs with Jamie Owen BBC Documentary 2016 Capture%2Bcashin
    Eddie
    Eddie

Male Posts : 3807

Fat v Carbs with Jamie Owen BBC Documentary 2016 Empty Re: Fat v Carbs with Jamie Owen BBC Documentary 2016

Post by Eddie Fri Oct 07 2016, 00:07

graham64 wrote:

Published on Oct 3, 2016
    Showing as part of Live Longer Wales. Newsreader Jamie Owen is going on a diet that goes directly against government healthy eating advice - and common sense. For the past 30 years we've been told the key to a healthy lifestyle is cutting out fat. However, as a nation we've got bigger - Jamie included. A controversial new report says the current government advice is making us bigger, and that the food industry is telling us what to eat. The report says that it isn't butter, milk and other fat that is to blame - the problem lies elsewhere. Join Jamie as he investigates these weighty issues and makes himself a guinea pig for a diet that aims to make us rethink the way we try to control out waistline.

Needless to say a certain Welsh dietitian is not happy and appears to be confused  Shocked

Fat v Carbs with Jamie Owen BBC Documentary 2016 Capture%2Bcashin

"Needless to say a certain Welsh dietitian is not happy and appears to be confused  Shocked" I miss CC, she was a larf a minute. Back in the old days of the flog, she kept us all entertained. Barking mad, in my opinion, and totally clueless as to the right diet for a diabetic. But hey, ain't most RD's. So many have sold out to junk food and the "system" They could be leading in the fight against obesity and the often linked T2 diabetes, instead they follow like sheep. Thems the breaks.
    Derek
    Derek

Fat v Carbs with Jamie Owen BBC Documentary 2016 Empty Re: Fat v Carbs with Jamie Owen BBC Documentary 2016

Post by Derek Fri Oct 07 2016, 16:42

I reckoned they all hoped his cholesterol would go up...it went down and the doctor looked quite crestfallen! Smile He really bashed the butter and protein and quite overdid it, that was probably his weight failed to drop after the first week?
    regards
    Derek
    chris c
    chris c

Post by chris c Fri Oct 07 2016, 20:34

Pity they didn't break his "cholesterol" down into HDL, LDL and trigs, that would have been enlightening.

Wasn't the "expert" a total fuckwit? I used to "do" the Welsh Valleys as a trucker in the seventies and there were not many obese people there, just as there weren't anywhere else. This happened on HIS watch. What does this tell you? - much the same as the fat dietician . . .
    graham64
    graham64

Post by graham64 Fri Oct 07 2016, 22:30

chris c wrote:Pity they didn't break his "cholesterol" down into HDL, LDL and trigs, that would have been enlightening.

Wasn't the "expert" a total fuckwit? I used to "do" the Welsh Valleys as a trucker in the seventies and there were not many obese people there, just as there weren't anywhere else. This happened on HIS watch. What does this tell you? - much the same as the fat dietician . . .

I was a but surprised that his total cholesterol went down after only three weeks of low carb, the usual trend for anyone starting LC is an initial increase in LDL, HDL and total, it can usually take longer for the body to adapt before cholesterol settles down and LDL and total starts to drop

Totally agree about the expert he and his ilk have contributed to the world obesity and diabetes epidemic with their low fat dogma.

As for the fat dietitian isn't ironic how often a BDA spokesperson reflects their dietary advice Rolling Eyes on the other hand the low carb proponents on the programme were all slim.

Another thing Jamie Owen though he needed to lose weight his Doctor had the same problem and from what I saw was even more overweight than him  Exclamation
    chris c
    chris c

Post by chris c Sun Oct 09 2016, 20:43

Trigs usually drop like a stone and HDL goes up. Theoretically LDL may go up during weight loss and then go back down again, or may stay up but in either case it will be proper large fluffy particles not the small dense (broken) LDL so common on low fat. Yes it was a bit of a surprise that his changed so quickly, would be interesting to see what happens after six months.
    graham64
    graham64

Post by graham64 Sun Oct 09 2016, 22:10

chris c wrote:Trigs usually drop like a stone and HDL goes up. Theoretically LDL may go up during weight loss and then go back down again, or may stay up but in either case it will be proper large fluffy particles not the small dense (broken) LDL so common on low fat. Yes it was a bit of a surprise that his changed so quickly, would be interesting to see what happens after six months.

As he was only doing the LC diet for three weeks on the advice of his overweight doctor we won't see any further cholesterol results which is a pity
    Derek
    Derek

Post by Derek Tue Oct 11 2016, 16:52

Hi,
    Just had my cholesterol checked again (after 13months low carb high fat).
    HDL up slightly at 1.7 and LDL down 0.5 to 4.7.

They omitted to do my trigs..I did ask! They have been 1.0 normally since LCHF.
    Hba1c again 42...no diabetic meds- I did hope for better.
    GGT down to 76 which is a slight improvement.

I am not overweight.
    Low carb stopped my R.H. dead in its tracks sept 2015.
    regards
    Derek
    chris c
    chris c

Post by chris c Tue Oct 11 2016, 21:47

A lot of people no longer have their trigs done, I suspect cheapskate labs buying cheap equipment.

My HDL is around 1.4 and trigs around 1 for the last eleven years or so, but LDL had been up and down like a whore's drawers. Hyperthyroid drove it down exactly as much as a statin, and hypothyroid drove it way back up. I'm not bothering to get another lipid panel until the thyroid is stable again.

You may be one of those people with long-lived blood cells where A1c appears elevated.

Congratulations otherwise, no knowing what would have occurred if Catherine Collins got a hold of you. I wonder if she's related to Lord Sir Professor Rory.
    graham64
    graham64

Post by graham64 Tue Oct 11 2016, 22:22

Derek wrote:Hi,
    Just had my cholesterol checked again (after 13months low carb high fat).
    HDL up slightly at 1.7 and LDL down 0.5 to 4.7.

They omitted to do my trigs..I did ask! They have been 1.0 normally since LCHF.
    Hba1c again 42...no diabetic meds- I did hope for better.
    GGT down to 76 which is a slight improvement.

I am not overweight.
    Low carb stopped my R.H. dead in its tracks sept 2015.
    regards
    Derek

I only get TC and HDL tested these days knowing my trigs have been under <1.00 mmol/L for the last 8 years I'm not to bothered that they don't test now.

You can work out your trigs here http://www.hughcalc.org/chol-si.php just need to enter your TC, HDL and LDL
    Derek
    Derek

Post by Derek Wed Oct 12 2016, 10:10

Hi Graham,
    I got the calculation wrong. I only got total and HDL. So LDL not 4.7 if trigs are as per usual at 1.0.

i think they mean to have us all on statins! Smile Wink
    graham64
    graham64

Post by graham64 Wed Oct 12 2016, 21:44

Derek wrote:Hi Graham,
    I got the calculation wrong. I only got total and HDL. So LDL not 4.7 if trigs are as per usual at 1.0.

Hi Derek

Looks like in the North West only HDL and TC being tested is the norm  Sad looking like LDL targets have been abandoned which is a different  scenario given that statin therapy used to be based on LDL levels 

Based on your own estimation of trigs your TC of 4.7 and HDL 1.7 the calculator would give an LDL of 2.54 mmol/L which is optimal  Very Happy
    Derek
    Derek

Post by Derek Thu Oct 13 2016, 13:57

Hi Graham,
    Actually my total was rather high at 6.4 and HDL 1.7 and using the my normal figure for Trigs of 1.0 the LDL by calculation is c.4.24.
    atb
    Derek

It says with LDL at 4.24 and total at 6.4 I am at risk?

graham64 wrote:

Hi Derek

Looks like in the North West only HDL and TC being tested is the norm  Sad looking like LDL targets have been abandoned which is a different  scenario given that statin therapy used to be based on LDL levels 

Based on your own estimation of trigs your TC of 4.7 and HDL 1.7 the calculator would give an LDL of 2.54 mmol/L which is optimal  Very Happy
    chris c
    chris c

Post by chris c Thu Oct 13 2016, 21:00

I suspect they don't test trigs because they expect them to be high if you are eating a high carb diet, and they have no drug to lower them. They are only testing for statin deficiency, our nurse told me "we don't test your "cholesterol" again once you are on your statin"
    graham64
    graham64

Post by graham64 Thu Oct 13 2016, 22:37

Actually my total was rather high at 6.4 and HDL 1.7 and using the my normal figure for Trigs of 1.0 the LDL by calculation is c.4.24.
    atb
    Derek

It says with LDL at 4.24 and total at 6.4 I am at risk? 

Sorry Derek my mistake misread your post and thought your TC was 4.7  Embarassed
    chris c
    chris c

Post by chris c Sat Oct 15 2016, 23:00

LDL is usually calculated not measured, and the calculation is off with low trigs, so back-calculating like you did may make things look worse than they are. There's quite a lot of evidence that higher cholesterol, even high LDL, is protective as you get older, as long as it is high quality and not small and dense, as yours (and mine) will be given the trigs and HDL.

Strangely since the PCT went away my doctor actually seems to know more stuff than she was previously allowed to, when I told her I'd stopped the statins she didn't disagree and has blatted them off my repeat prescription.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue Mar 19 2024, 14:02