THE LOW CARB DIABETIC

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
THE LOW CARB DIABETIC

Promoting a low carb high fat lifestyle for the safe control of diabetes. Eat whole fresh food, more drugs are not the answer.

Welcome to the Low Carb Diabetic forum,have you signed up yet? if not then sign up and join us in the low carb community today!

3 posters

Splenda

chris c
    chris c

Splenda Empty Splenda

Post by chris c Sat Jul 30 2016, 22:09

I favour Splenda tabs over the other sweeteners. Suddenly the Co-Op has stopped stocking them. They still have powdered Splenda, and Truvia and Canderel tabs, and Hermesetas, so all the alternatives.

They aren't available in ANY other local shops, not even the pharmacy. Any idea if they have been taken off the market or if it's just the Co-Op playing silly buggers? I've noticed a few times they seem to take things off the shelves for a few weeks, probably to force the manufacturers to drop prices. Their 85% chocolate has gone again too, and though they had a shelf for Wyke Farms butter it was empty.
    Jan1
    Jan1

Female Posts : 5094

Splenda Empty Re: Splenda

Post by Jan1 Sun Jul 31 2016, 12:39

Hi Chris
    I don't use any sweeteners in my drinks ...
    However, in coffee Eddie will use 'Sweetex'

Sweeteners (like any food) is always a personal choice, and what suits one may not suit another.

Next time I'm in my local supermarket I will see if they are stocking splenda tabs - doing a google search it does show that quite a few of the supermarkets have them.

But, I often find that supermarket shelves can sometimes be empty, annoying or what Evil or Very Mad

I hope your Co-op will get some more in stock soon, if not you may need to go over to your second choice !

Talking chocolate - it's possible that the 70% type sells better and that is what they will now stock?

Hopefully you will be able to get some more of that Wykes Farm butter too, if not put plan B into place Smile

All the best Jan

P.S. There is an article about sweeteners on Authority Nutrition site, if anyone may like to read it - it's here:
    https://authoritynutrition.com/artificial-sweeteners-good-or-bad/
    chris c
    chris c

Post by chris c Tue Aug 02 2016, 19:18

Well the 85% chocolate was back, I forgot to look for the butter as I bought some Yeo Valley from the same area (but much more expensive).

Tescos tried to invade the town but were driven off. Now there's a rumour Waitrose may be interested. I suspect the Co-Op is doing a Tesco, long ago a colleague you had worked in the "food industry" told me supermarkets will cancel an order for something and attempt to force the manufacturer to reduce their price before reinstating their orders.

I tried Truvia but it has a sort if musty aftertaste, Canderel is nearly as good as Splenda. I only use it in my coffee. Like many people I found that after cutting out sugar I could find sweetness in many other foods, like broccoli.
    Derek
    Derek

Post by Derek Wed Aug 03 2016, 14:17

chris c wrote:Well the 85% chocolate was back, I forgot to look for the butter as I bought some Yeo Valley from the same area (but much more expensive).

Tescos tried to invade the town but were driven off. Now there's a rumour Waitrose may be interested. I suspect the Co-Op is doing a Tesco, long ago a colleague you had worked in the "food industry" told me supermarkets will cancel an order for something and attempt to force the manufacturer to reduce their price before reinstating their orders.

I tried Truvia but it has a sort if musty aftertaste, Canderel is nearly as good as Splenda. I only use it in my coffee. Like many people I found that after cutting out sugar I could find sweetness in many other foods, like broccoli.

I guess you know the problems with Yeo Valley foods?
    chris c
    chris c

Post by chris c Thu Aug 04 2016, 20:22

Rubber grommets falling off some of their machinery by the sound of it.
    Jan1
    Jan1

Female Posts : 5094

Post by Jan1 Sat Aug 20 2016, 18:27

Hi Chris ... have you had any luck with getting some more Splenda?

If any readers are interested Libby at Ditch The Carbs recently posted this article about sweeteners

THE ULTIMATE GUIDE TO LOW CARB SWEETENERS

She says "This is my ultimate guide to low carb sweeteners. Which ones I use, and which ones I don’t. I’ll explain how to use each one and what to look for when you buy them because not all low carb sweeteners are created equally. It can be incredibly confusing when you are just starting to live sugar free."

Read full article here
    http://www.ditchthecarbs.com/2016/08/11/low-carb-sweeteners/

All the best Jan
    chris c
    chris c

Post by chris c Sat Aug 20 2016, 23:26

Still no Splenda tabs, only the powdered stuff. I only use it in coffee so no particularly big deal in using Canderel instead. Like many people I found that a lot of things taste sweet after banning sugar, like broccoli, and even 70% chocolate tastes cloying compared to the 85%. I just can't get on with unsweetened coffee though.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 19 2024, 17:17