THE LOW CARB DIABETIC

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
THE LOW CARB DIABETIC

Promoting a low carb high fat lifestyle for the safe control of diabetes. Eat whole fresh food, more drugs are not the answer.

Welcome to the Low Carb Diabetic forum,have you signed up yet? if not then sign up and join us in the low carb community today!

Starbucks Customer Appalled After Label Reads: ‘Diabetes Here I Come’

Jan1
    Jan1

Female Posts : 5094

Starbucks Customer Appalled After Label Reads: ‘Diabetes Here I Come’ Empty Starbucks Customer Appalled After Label Reads: ‘Diabetes Here I Come’

Post by Jan1 Mon Apr 11 2016, 17:02

All words and picture taken from link below article.

"If it was meant to be funny, it missed the mark.

A Florida man is speaking out after he says he received an especially tart message printed on his Starbucks beverage: “Diabetes here I come.”

Starbucks Customer Appalled After Label Reads: ‘Diabetes Here I Come’ A6308c1a-8eff-4968-a761-d0c4b4b8ce97

The man, who didn’t want to be identified, told WJAX-TV that he found those words printed on his white chocolate mocha. It hit a nerve with him because two of his sisters have Type 1 diabetes.

“That first word just automatically brought the picture of both sisters in my head, and I was taken aback,” he told the local Jacksonville TV station. “Just the struggles they went through and all the doctor appointments they had.”

He wrote back on the cup: “2 of my sisters are diabetic, so ... not funny.”

The St. Augustine store’s manager appeared surprised over the label and told the local reporter that they “definitely don’t condone” such actions and would look into what happened.

The customer said he believes that he was unfairly and inappropriately judged by a Starbucks employee and wants to make sure that it doesn’t happen to him or anyone else again. He noted that he didn’t personally go into the store to place the order, but had a co-worker pick it up for him as part of a group order.

A Starbucks spokesperson confirmed to The Huffington Post that the message had been printed in the store. Some online users suggested that the label had been written by a customer who was placing the order online.

“We strive to provide an inclusive and positive experience for our customers, and were disappointed to learn of this incident,” the company said in a statement. “We’ve since connected directly with the customer to apologize for his experience, and with our partners (employees) to ensure this does not happen again.”

That Starbucks beverages contain a lot of sugar — which in some cases can cause health problems — shouldn’t be a surprise. Some of their beverages have been found to contain more sugar than a milkshake.

A “grande” white chocolate mocha, which the Florida customer ordered, has 470 calories and 59 grams of sugar, according to Starbuck’s website.

That tops the daily maximum amount recommended by the American Heart Association. For men, it’s 45 grams (nine teaspoons) or 30 grams (six teaspoons) for women.

Sugar-rich diets can contribute to a number of health conditions, including diabetes, obesity and some cancers.

But according to the American Diabetes Association, high-sugar diets aren’t the only thing that can be blamed for the disease. When it comes to Type 1 diabetes — which the Starbucks customer said his sisters have — most people inherit risk factors from their parents.

“The myth that sugar causes diabetes is commonly accepted by many people. This is a complicated issue,” the ADA states on its website. “Eating sugar has nothing to do with developing type 1 diabetes. Type 1 is caused by genetics and other unknown factors that trigger the disease.”

However, the ADA warns that sugary drinks have been linked to developing Type 2 diabetes. As a prevention, they advise limiting sugar-sweetened beverages.

For those already living with Type 2, the association advises saving sweets and desserts for special occasions and keeping portions small when indulging.

But it’s not just the total sugar content people should watch out for.

“If you don’t have a lot of time when reading labels, simply look at the total carbohydrate in a food,” the association suggests. “The total carbohydrate includes starch, fiber, sugar and sugar alcohols. It is more helpful to check the total carbohydrate because it includes both sugar and starch. If you only look at the sugar content, you are not accounting for the starch in a food.”

Story From here
    http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/starbucks-diabetes-joke_us_570a6cf2e4b0836057a17d85?ir=UK+Lifestyle
    Jan1
    Jan1

Female Posts : 5094

Starbucks Customer Appalled After Label Reads: ‘Diabetes Here I Come’ Empty Re: Starbucks Customer Appalled After Label Reads: ‘Diabetes Here I Come’

Post by Jan1 Mon May 02 2016, 18:26

STARBUCKS continued ...

Woman sues Starbucks over ice-to-coffee ratio in cold drinks

As summer approaches, 29-page complaint calls Starbucks’ advertising misleading – but Starbucks says ‘ice is an essential component’ of iced drinks

Starbucks Customer Appalled After Label Reads: ‘Diabetes Here I Come’ 3500

More coffee, please! A Chicago woman is suing Starbucks for allegedly serving her too much ice and too little caffeine in its cold beverages.

With summer on the horizon and iced drinks coming back into season, Starbucks is being accused of short-changing its coffee lovers.

“A Starbucks customer who orders a Venti cold drink receives only 14 fluid ounces of that drink – just over half the advertised amount, and just over half the amount for which they are paying,” states the 29-page-long complaint filed by customer Stacey Pincus, the lead plaintiff in the case, filed in northern Illinois federal court on Wednesday, according to Courthouse News Service.

“In the iced coffee example, a Starbucks customer who orders and pays for a Venti iced coffee, expecting to receive 24 fluid ounces of iced coffee based on Starbucks’ advertisement and marketing, will instead receive only about 14 fluid ounces of iced coffee.”

Starbucks’ cold beverages come in four different sizes: tall (12oz), grande (16oz), venti (24oz) and trenta (30oz). Hot beverages are only served in the first three sizes.

“In essence, Starbucks is advertising the size of its cold drink cups on its menu, rather than the amount of fluid a customer will receive when they purchase a cold drink – and deceiving its customers in the process,” states the lawsuit.

Pincus’s complaint also takes issue with the company’s pricing system, which includes higher prices for cold drinks. Since hot drinks do not include ice and cost less, she argues, Starbucks is making more money off of customers buying iced drinks.

Starbucks believes that the lawsuit is without merit.

“Our customers understand and expect that ice is an essential component of any ‘iced’ beverage. If a customer is not satisfied with their beverage preparation, we will gladly remake it,” Jamie Riley, a spokesperson for Starbucks, told CNN.

Starbucks customers who desire less ice in their beverages have also been known to ask for “light” ice when placing their orders.

“You can order light ice or extra ice on any of our iced beverages,” the company tweeted last April.

Story from here
    http://www.theguardian.com/business/2016/may/02/starbucks-sued-too-much-ice-drinks

Coffee shops are so popular, but can't say I have experienced a Starbucks!

All the best Jan

Current date/time is Thu Mar 28 2024, 10:41