THE LOW CARB DIABETIC

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
THE LOW CARB DIABETIC

Promoting a low carb high fat lifestyle for the safe control of diabetes. Eat whole fresh food, more drugs are not the answer.

Welcome to the Low Carb Diabetic forum,have you signed up yet? if not then sign up and join us in the low carb community today!

Dr Katharine Morrison asks ...

Jan1
    Jan1

Female Posts : 5094

Dr Katharine Morrison asks ... Empty Dr Katharine Morrison asks ...

Post by Jan1 Fri Apr 08 2016, 15:28

Dr Katharine Morrison aka 'kaitiscotland' at The Diabetes Diet Blog asks ...

"Why can’t you get healthy food at a medical meeting?"

her post goes onto say:-

"The photograph of  lovely display of cakes you see here was taken by  a doctor at a medical conference the subject of which was….tackling obesity.

Dr Katharine Morrison asks ... Clubhouse-sandwich-13705898818xb

Similarly, the sandwiches and chips you see dished up is all to often the only sort of food you will see at medical seminars.  I recently attended a two day course on the subject of how to speak to patients so that they would be more motivated to change their unhealthy eating and non-existent exercise habits when dealing with their diabetes. The group consisted of psychologists, doctors, nurses and dieticians. The food was sandwiches, cut up vegetables with sugary/fatty dips, cakes and orange squash.  At other meetings there have been lots of pastries, vol au vents, potato salad and sausage rolls. It is rare to find lean meats, plain eggs, salad vegetables and fruit.

Some of this is down to cost. It is much cheaper to serve carby/fatty rubbish. But what sort of example is it to health professionals when they are at seminars to discuss the resolution of unhealthy lifestyles for their patients?

Not being able to eat anything at the lunch served, I went to the hospital staff canteen to see if I could do any better.  Potato and leek soup, battered chicken in sweet and sour sauce, vegetable stroganoff, boiled rice, baked potatoes, steak pie and a salad bar which contained some vegetables, boiled eggs but no lean meat. A deli counter made up sandwiches but the single meat filling was heavily covered in mayonnaise.

The chill cabinet contained lots of sandwiches, sweetened yoghurts and fruit juice.

Crisps, Pringles and Doritos were available. So were cakes, biscuits, scones and jelly.

At least if I was having a hypo I would have been easily able to satisfy my dietary requirements."

Article taken from this blog here
    http://diabetesdietblog.com/

I think we have seen similar to this on other posts and blog sites too!

All the best Jan
    Jan1
    Jan1

Female Posts : 5094

Dr Katharine Morrison asks ... Empty Re: Dr Katharine Morrison asks ...

Post by Jan1 Wed Sep 28 2016, 18:07

28th September 2016:
    Dr Katharine Morrison aka 'kaitiscotland' at The Diabetes Diet Blog asks ...

" Surely giving patients the Freestyle Libre or similar for a period of time combined with education on a low carbohydrate diet and blood sugar management would be cost effective in the NHS? "

What prompted her question was this article

Continuous glucose monitors give 1% reduction in Hba1c

"Vancouver doctors took 12 patients  type two diabetes who were using insulin and gave them continuous blood sugar monitors to help them improve their blood sugars.

Participants used these for 3 months, kept food records and maintained weekly contact with a registered dietitian/registered nurse team.  After 3 months, patients were told to discontinue sensor use and weekly contact and return to usual care.

HbA1c averages started at  8.2  which decreased to 7.1 during the program period and did not increase during the 15 months of patient follow-up.

Hypoglycemia (glucose < 4 mmol) at the beginning of treatment, was an average of 3.5  per week and was unchanged at the end of the study to 2.8.

“In conclusion, our program empowered patients with the knowledge and skill to maintain glycemic control,” Dr Haniak said. “Furthermore, this program is a very effective teaching tool for those patients with severe hypoglycemia to also sustain and maintain glycemic control.”

Haniak P, et al. Abstract 179-OR. Presented at: American Diabetes Association’s 75th Scientific Sessions; June 5-9, 2015; Boston.

Focused Care Improves Control Without Hypoglycemia Risk

From Diabetes in Control June 26th, 2015

see here
    https://diabetesdietblog.com/2016/09/28/continuous-glucose-monitors-give-1-reduction-in-hba1c/

All the best Jan

Current date/time is Fri Apr 19 2024, 08:14