THE LOW CARB DIABETIC

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
THE LOW CARB DIABETIC

Promoting a low carb high fat lifestyle for the safe control of diabetes. Eat whole fresh food, more drugs are not the answer.

Welcome to the Low Carb Diabetic forum,have you signed up yet? if not then sign up and join us in the low carb community today!

+2
chris c
graham64
6 posters

Latest blood test results in

chris c
    chris c

Latest blood test results in - Page 2 Empty Re: Latest blood test results in

Post by chris c Wed Dec 07 2016, 22:12

graham64 wrote:Retinal scan result arrived in the post today result appeared normal my annual MOT now complete  Cool

Also in the post today Lancs CC inviting me for a free NHS health check  the letter goes into more detail including a routine blood test  Rolling Eyes

The company running the scheme under the NHS banner are Wellness International yet another sign of privatisation

Well done that man! - Although an NHS Retinal Scan may consist of

"one . . . more than one . . . patient is not blind yet"

Have you noticed that they are trying to nationalise the railways without mentioning the n-word while trying to privatise the NHS without using the p-word?
    graham64
    graham64

Male Posts : 3730

Post by graham64 Wed Dec 07 2016, 22:40

chris c wrote:
    graham64 wrote:Retinal scan result arrived in the post today result appeared normal my annual MOT now complete  Cool

Also in the post today Lancs CC inviting me for a free NHS health check  the letter goes into more detail including a routine blood test  Rolling Eyes

The company running the scheme under the NHS banner are Wellness International yet another sign of privatisation

Well done that man! - Although an NHS Retinal Scan may consist of

"one . . . more than one . . . patient is not blind yet"

Have you noticed that they are trying to nationalise the railways without mentioning the n-word while trying to privatise the NHS without using the p-word?

Cant be sure it's the same company but in the USA they have been in the bankruptcy courts  

https://www.supremecourt.gov/opinions/14pdf/13-935_i4dj.pdf

Also had recently a letter using the NHS logo for a home retinal scan and eye test was another from the private sector
    chris c
    chris c

Post by chris c Wed Dec 07 2016, 23:16

AFAICR back in the nineties or so in Surrey, mother had one of her cataracts done on the NHS in the local hospital and the other one later by the NHS but in a private hospital. She was fortunate, there was a major quality control problem at the private place for NHS cataract ops.

I also knew someone whose routine cataract op was ballsed up in one of the NHS hospitals here. The same consultant who kept us there for about FIVE hours after our allotted appointment time "because I decided I wanted to see you last!" - well in that case why didn't you make the appointment last, you dolt??? then told her she WOULD go blind because she had different diseases in each eye and he could "only treat one eye if it was the same disease in both" finally got his comeuppance.

He supervised a junior who started work before the anesthetic had taken effect, then did something unspecified which took a lot of fiddling about to fix. His secretary told the patient she would have to make another appointment "to have the stitches removed" and refused to tell her WHY there were stitches, and refused to let her see the consultant again for an explanation.

He didn't know she was not just a meek old lady but had been a high powered nurse in a prestigious hospital, so she knew exactly how to make a formal complaint and ensure it was applied to his file.
    Derek
    Derek

Post by Derek Thu Dec 08 2016, 15:10

Hi,
    In North Cumbria they appear to come up from Blackpool to do the testing. D.
    graham64
    graham64

Post by graham64 Thu Dec 08 2016, 22:38

Derek wrote:Hi,
    In North Cumbria they appear to come up from Blackpool to do the testing. D.from 

I qualify for NHS podiatry care, for six years I saw the same podiatrist but now I get a different one at every appointment the last one had travelled from Birmingham Shocked
    chris c
    chris c

Post by chris c Fri Dec 09 2016, 22:43

And that is a good use of the NHS money???
    graham64
    graham64

Post by graham64 Fri Dec 09 2016, 23:04

chris c wrote:And that is a good use of the NHS money???

At least the money was not going to the private sector she was an NHS podiatrist, that said she will get travel and other expenses paid so agreed not good use of NHS limited resources
    chris c
    chris c

Post by chris c Fri Dec 09 2016, 23:06

They could make her walk!

Walk . . . podiatrist . . .geddit?

I'll get me coat.
    graham64
    graham64

Post by graham64 Fri Dec 09 2016, 23:32

chris c wrote:They could make her walk!

Walk . . . podiatrist . . .geddit?  

I'll get me coat.

Latest blood test results in - Page 2 St-ma-ngab20496
    chris c
    chris c

Post by chris c Fri Dec 09 2016, 23:39

Get some sleep, dammit! I have some crap TV to watch . . .
    graham64
    graham64

Post by graham64 Sat Dec 10 2016, 00:02

chris c wrote:Get some sleep, dammit! I have some crap TV to watch . . .

Nighty night Chris ZZZZZ
    graham64
    graham64

Post by graham64 Fri May 12 2017, 21:51

Went for my annual review today and was disappointed to discover my lovely DSN has retired  Sad the reviews are now being done by one of the practise nurses, she's a nice lady but her knowledge of diabetes was obviously limited still I suppose I could train her up  Cool that said there's no guarantee I will see her next time as she said the duties are being shared amongst all the practice nurses 

Now for the results 

A1c up now at 6.3  not ideal though at my age I can live with that  Smile liver and kidney function good as is my full blood count, sodium still a bit low just outside the bottom of the range

Cholesterol surprisingly included a full lipid panel cheers TC 6.42, HDL 2.61, LDL 3.42 and trigs 0.86, TC/HDL ratio 2.5
    chris c
    chris c

Post by chris c Fri May 12 2017, 23:51

Trigs/HDL is absolutely stellar. You have so little insulin resistance they could probably bleed you and give the excess insulin to several other diabetics.
    Jan1
    Jan1

Female Posts : 5094

Post by Jan1 Sat May 13 2017, 14:33

graham64 wrote:Went for my annual review today and was disappointed to discover my lovely DSN has retired  Sad the reviews are now being done by one of the practise nurses, she's a nice lady but her knowledge of diabetes was obviously limited still I suppose I could train her up  Cool that said there's no guarantee I will see her next time as she said the duties are being shared amongst all the practice nurses 

Now for the results 

A1c up now at 6.3  not ideal though at my age I can live with that  Smile liver and kidney function good as is my full blood count, sodium still a bit low just outside the bottom of the range

Cholesterol surprisingly included a full lipid panel cheers TC 6.42, HDL 2.61, LDL 3.42 and trigs 0.86, TC/HDL ratio 2.5

Well done Graham, thanks for sharing your results  thumb-up

All the best Jan
    graham64
    graham64

Post by graham64 Sat May 13 2017, 23:04

chris c wrote:Trigs/HDL is absolutely stellar. You have so little insulin resistance they could probably bleed you and give the excess insulin to several other diabetics.

But hey what about my LDL I reckon it's ok but the American College of Cardiology and the American Heart Association have issued new 2017 guidelines proposing an LDL target of 55 mg/dL/1.4 mmol/l https://www.aace.com/files/lipid-guidelines.pdf looks like I going to need a high dose of statins plus PCSK9 to achieve that  bitenails
    graham64
    graham64

Post by graham64 Sat May 13 2017, 23:11

Jan1 wrote:Well done Graham, thanks for sharing your results thumb-up 

Thanks Jan  Very Happy  but I've got to admit I find the whole procedure a bit tiresome after all these years  Neutral
    Derek
    Derek

Post by Derek Mon May 15 2017, 19:12

Hi Graham,
    They're excellent results. I had mine done last week as well but not as good as yours! My HDL up to 1.8 after nearly two years of low carb (no diabetes meds).  Kidney results improved, EGFR up to 80. My Hba1c somewhat worse up from 42 to 45 so similar to yours but it was due other non diabetic medication.   Total chloresterol down to 6.1 and my trigs not done but have been 1.0 so I think they have dropped slightly. How long did it take you to get that amazing HDL and what in your diet to attribute to the high figure?
    atb
    Derek
    graham64
    graham64

Post by graham64 Mon May 15 2017, 22:32

Derek wrote:Hi Graham,
    They're excellent results. I had mine done last week as well but not as good as yours! My HDL up to 1.8 after nearly two years of low carb (no diabetes meds).  Kidney results improved, EGFR up to 80. My Hba1c somewhat worse up from 42 to 45 so similar to yours but it was due other non diabetic medication.   Total chloresterol down to 6.1 and my trigs not done but have been 1.0 so I think they have dropped slightly. How long did it take you to get that amazing HDL and what in your diet to attribute to the high figure?
    atb
    Derek

Hi Derek, I can only conclude restricting carbs and increasing fats has been the biggest influence on HDL, to be fair I did have a good start with my cholesterol levels being OK on diagnosis, my 2008 results were TC 5.18, HDL 1.62, LDL 3.27 and trigs 0.65, as I got to grips with low carb my following blood tests always came up with HDL at > 2.0 mmol/L. What was a revelation to me was that my LDL despite being told sat fats which I don't restrict would cause it to increase this did not prove to be the case it's remained pretty constant over the last nine years with only slight fluctuations either way.
    chris c
    chris c

Post by chris c Mon May 15 2017, 23:02

Seen Dave Feldman's experiments?

http://cholesterolcode.com

A lot of interesting and seemingly non-logical stuff. Graham you appear to be on the opposite extreme with your HDL. I'd say your LDL was pretty much where you need it to be at your age (like me).

Originally it looked like my LDL went up on low carb, and then came back down when I added more saturated fats. In retrospect it may have gone up while I was losing the dietician - added weight, and back down again when I reverted to my original weight, not uncommon when body fat is being liberated into the circulation.

The complete and utter weirdness is that when my thyroid blew up the LDL came down by exactly the same amount as the statin reduced it. When the thyroid was overtreated it shot up again. Yet it was when the thyroid was high and the "cholesterol" low that my arteries clagged up, and when the thyroid came down and my LDL went back up again that they unclogged. So another epic fail in the cholesterol causes CVD argument.

It looks to me as if high trigs are a marker for carb consumption (especially fructose) in the absence of sufficient fat, and HDL is a marker for fat consumption in the absence of excess carbs. So no surprise that trigs/HDL is a marker for insulin resistance/high insulin, and that is more likely to do the damage that is blamed on the LDL. High glucose and high insulin both damage the endothelium through different pathways, and they also cause malformed (small dense) LDL and damage it through oxidation and glycation, so when LDL arrives to heal the damage it doesn't work properly.

I visualise firemen turning up drunk on duty (sorry, Paul!) and ending up in a pile on the floor getting in the way of the sober ones. But they didn't start the fire.
    graham64
    graham64

Post by graham64 Mon May 15 2017, 23:35

chris c wrote:Seen Dave Feldman's experiments?

http://cholesterolcode.com

A lot of interesting and seemingly non-logical stuff. Graham you appear to be on the opposite extreme with your HDL. I'd say your LDL was pretty much where you need it to be at your age (like me).

Originally it looked like my LDL went up on low carb, and then came back down when I added more saturated fats. In retrospect it may have gone up while I was losing the dietician - added weight, and back down again when I reverted to my original weight, not uncommon when body fat is being liberated into the circulation.

The complete and utter weirdness is that when my thyroid blew up the LDL came down by exactly the same amount as the statin reduced it. When the thyroid was overtreated it shot up again. Yet it was when the thyroid was high and the "cholesterol" low that my arteries clagged up, and when the thyroid came down and my LDL went back up again that they unclogged. So another epic fail in the cholesterol causes CVD argument.

It looks to me as if high trigs are a marker for carb consumption (especially fructose) in the absence of sufficient fat, and HDL is a marker for fat consumption in the absence of excess carbs. So no surprise that trigs/HDL is a marker for insulin resistance/high insulin, and that is more likely to do the damage that is blamed on the LDL. High glucose and high insulin both damage the endothelium through different pathways, and they also cause malformed (small dense) LDL and damage it through oxidation and glycation, so when LDL arrives to heal the damage it doesn't work properly.

I visualise firemen turning up drunk on duty (sorry, Paul!) and ending up in a pile on the floor getting in the way of the sober ones. But they didn't start the fire.

I suppose I'm lucky compared with you Chris I don't have any other issues that would affect LDL all I do know is that consuming sat fats does not have any effect on mine.

By the way it's Mo not Paul that's the fireman  Laughing
    Paul1976
    Paul1976

Male Posts : 2439

Post by Paul1976 Wed May 17 2017, 18:54

Well done Graham and Derek on your latest results,Mine aren't quite as good but not too shabby I reckon (Or hope!) and I'm fairly happy with them,my gFR is surprisingly up to 90 now which is a massive bonus,My HbA1c result is not showing on my online medical record yet but hoping for a fair result. Cool

Latest blood test results in - Page 2 Latest10
    graham64
    graham64

Post by graham64 Wed May 17 2017, 21:30

Paul1976 wrote:Well done Graham and Derek on your latest results,Mine aren't quite as good but not too shabby I reckon (Or hope!) and I'm fairly happy with them,my gFR is surprisingly up to 90 now which is a massive bonus,My HbA1c result is not showing on my online medical record yet but hoping for a fair result. Cool

Latest blood test results in - Page 2 Latest10

Not bad at all Paul, I see your another that has found low carb contrary to what we are told has minimal effect on LDL  Cool
    Snap with your GFR mine has been >90 for eight years of LC  thumb-up it was >60 when diagnosed
    Paul1976
    Paul1976

Male Posts : 2439

Post by Paul1976 Thu May 18 2017, 15:18

Thanks Graham. Smile Got my HbA1c results today and it came in at 48 or 6.5% in old money,would have liked lower but will hope for better next time.
    Derek
    Derek

Post by Derek Thu May 18 2017, 15:49

Paul1976 wrote:Thanks Graham. Smile  Got my HbA1c results today and it came in at 48 or 6.5% in old money,would have liked lower but will hope for better next time.

Hi Paul, Your kidney readings are excellent, and lipid profile is coming right, progress is the important thing. I do wonder sometimes with Hba1c if we are camparing like with like? I reckon some of us hang on to our blood cells a lot longer than others! Anyway, it's my excuse! Smile Wink
    regards
    Derek
    Derek
    Derek

Post by Derek Thu May 18 2017, 15:52

graham64 wrote:
    Derek wrote:Hi Graham,
    atb
    Derek

Hi Derek, I can only conclude restricting carbs and increasing fats has been the biggest influence on HDL, to be fair I did have a good start with my cholesterol levels being OK on diagnosis, my 2008 results were TC 5.18, HDL 1.62, LDL 3.27 and trigs 0.65, as I got to grips with low carb my following blood tests always came up with HDL at > 2.0 mmol/L. What was a revelation to me was that my LDL despite being told sat fats which I don't restrict would cause it to increase this did not prove to be the case it's remained pretty constant over the last nine years with only slight fluctuations either way.

Thanks Graham,
    You obviously have your mother's genes and will live to be a hundred! Smile Derek

Last edited by Derek on Thu May 18 2017, 19:24; edited 1 time in total

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Mar 29 2024, 00:48