The Low Carb Diabetic

Promoting a low carb high fat lifestyle for the safe control of diabetes. Eat whole fresh food, more drugs are not the answer.

Welcome to the Low Carb Diabetic forum,have you signed up yet? if not then sign up and join us in the low carb community today!

Ron Krauss

chris c

Ron Krauss

Post by chris c on Wed Mar 16 2016, 19:22

Interviewed here

Always interesting, though he can be frustratingly obscure
    chris c

Re: Ron Krauss

Post by chris c on Sun Mar 20 2016, 22:59

Jan1

Female Posts : 4271

Post by Jan1 on Mon Mar 21 2016, 22:38

Well I have to be signed in to click on your links, but I did and found myself reading an interesting article, but what caught my eye was the paragraph

"Have a glass
    That nightly beer does more than relax you—it may also lower your small, dense LDL, a recent Journal of Clinical Endocrinology & Metabolism study found. Men who drank 7 to 13 alcoholic drinks a week had 20 percent fewer small-LDL particles than men who didn't drink at all.—laura roberson"

Makes you think ...

Men, I'd suggest you may like to have a read

All the best Jan
    chris c

Post by chris c on Wed Mar 23 2016, 20:31

Oh sorry, they seem to work OK from here, maybe I already had a login, I dunno.

Krauss can be frustrating, he obviously knows a lot but is often not so good at expressing it. I find it hard to comprehend WHY the combination of meat and saturated fat should be harmful as it's obviously what we ate for millennia, perhaps he forgot to mention the bun, fries and coke. 

As a past president of the American Heart Association, he could have had a perfectly adequate career just sitting back regurgitating dogma, but he preferred to Do Science and discovered a lot of potentially controversial things.

Yes I tend to have a glass or two of red wine most evenings. Judging by my trigs/HDL ratio I have little insulin resistance left and probably not much SDLDL. Not true for the first fifty years of my life though. Whether the sat fat, wine and Omega 3s will override the damage cause earlier, well that remains to be seen but so far so good . . .
    graham64

Male Posts : 3068

Post by graham64 on Wed Mar 23 2016, 21:16

@chris c wrote:Oh sorry, they seem to work OK from here, maybe I already had a login, I dunno.

Unfortunately probably down to the forum software links are only clickable when logged in, I try to include the full url which at least can be copied and pasted

Proving the LowCarb sceptics wrong for over nine years,

Not all cherubs are Angels  Wink nor all diabetics Bonkers  Rolling Eyes
    chris c

Post by chris c on Wed Mar 23 2016, 21:24

Oh I see what Jan means, I have the forum set to log me in automagically whenever I open it.
    graham64

Male Posts : 3068

Post by graham64 on Wed Mar 23 2016, 21:46

Yes it's not something I've encountered on other forums

Proving the LowCarb sceptics wrong for over nine years,

Not all cherubs are Angels  Wink nor all diabetics Bonkers  Rolling Eyes
    Eddie

Male Posts : 3767

Post by Eddie on Thu Mar 24 2016, 16:07

Chris said

"Krauss can be frustrating, he obviously knows a lot but is often not so good at expressing it. I find it hard to comprehend WHY the combination of meat and saturated fat should be harmful as it's obviously what we ate for millennia, perhaps he forgot to mention the bun, fries and coke."

Krauss is undoubtedly a very clever man, but as you say very frustrating. Just as you get to the part where you think 'I like the sound of this' he then says "but I could be wrong"

As we cannot live without protein and fats, I will never be convinced eating meat and fat could be bad for us. I am totally convinced it's the combination of fats and a high sugar/carb diet is the worst possible combination. Especially when those fats are not natural such as butter, cream and olive oil etc. but man made in a factory from seed oils.

If eating meat and fat was a health hazard to the human race, we would have become extinct thousands of years ago. We are omnivores, with a bias towards meat and fat. Hence the canine teeth.  Regarding food, man has meddled with nature big time, and nature always wins, one way or another. There is nothing for nothing in this world, there is always a price to pay.

Type two diabetic-low carb diet (50 carbs per day) and two 500mg Metformin pills per day. Apart from diagnosis HbA1c almost 12-all HbA1c results none diabetic. For over eight years my diabetes medication has not changed. My weight has remained stable, I have suffered no ill effects from my diet whatsoever. Every blood test has proved, I took the right road to my diabetic salvation. For almost seven years, I have asked medical professionals and naysayers, how do I maintain non diabetic BG levels on two Metformin other than low carb ? The silence has been deafening !
    chris c

Post by chris c on Fri Mar 25 2016, 23:31

Quite!

To some extent he is still invested in the Lipid Hypothesis. I don't actually think "cholesterol" is the cause of anything, the body uses LDL to heal damage principally caused by inflammation, including but not limited to that caused by hyperglycemia and hyperinsulinemia. When the LDL is actually damaged by the same factors that cause the inflammation (such as, for example, hyperglycemia and hyperinsulinemia) it works about as well as using bandages that have been through a shredder to bind a wound.

Since people have been eating less saturated fat and replacing it with Omega 6 seed oils, even when not adulterated by trans fats, and more hearthealthywholegrains, which blatantly aren't, health has been going to hell in a handbasket. Fortunately the fact that when people reverse this they get better is now no longer "just anecdotes" but is turning up in ever more studies. Give it a few more decades and perhaps The Authorities will cotton on.
    Derek

Post by Derek on Sun Mar 27 2016, 16:45

Hi,From what I read the problem was with eating beef three times a day and combining it with full fat input.
    D.
    chris c

Post by chris c on Sun Mar 27 2016, 23:26

Still makes little historical sense, I'm afraid.

One of his other findings had me scratching my head a bit. He identified a bunch of different pathways which produce the different sized LDL particles. Why on earth would we evolve to do this?

The conclusion I reached is that we evolved a bunch of different pathways to do the same thing so we could run them all in parallel to stash a glut of food rapidly. In evolutionary terms it didn't matter much that some of them produced "broken" LDL since it wouldn't be in the blood long enough to do any harm - until we started eating so many carbs, especially grains, and the glut of food became permanent.

Current date/time is Sun Nov 19 2017, 04:50