THE LOW CARB DIABETIC

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
THE LOW CARB DIABETIC

Promoting a low carb high fat lifestyle for the safe control of diabetes. Eat whole fresh food, more drugs are not the answer.

Welcome to the Low Carb Diabetic forum,have you signed up yet? if not then sign up and join us in the low carb community today!

+2
Andy12345
yoly
6 posters

Type 2 diabetes drug can exhaust insulin-producing cells

yoly
    yoly

Type 2 diabetes drug can exhaust insulin-producing cells  Empty Type 2 diabetes drug can exhaust insulin-producing cells

Post by yoly Fri Feb 12 2016, 10:14

(Almost surely all drugs with similar mechanism in the class have the same effect, beware)

Type 2 diabetes drug can exhaust insulin-producing cells

Long-term use of liraglutide, a substance that helps to lower blood sugar levels in patients with type 2 diabetes, can have a deteriorating effect on insulin-producing beta cells, leading to an increase in blood sugar levels. This according to a study on mice implanted with human insulin-producing cells conducted by a team of scientists from Karolinska Institutet, Sweden, and the University of Miami, USA. The researchers flag the possible consequences of this popular form of therapy in the next issue of the journal 'Cell Metabolism'.

Blood-sugar suppressors in the form of analogues of the incretin hormone GLP-1 are commonly used in the treatment of type 2 diabetes, since they stimulate the glucose response of the pancreatic beta cells to make them secrete more insulin. There is now compelling evidence that liraglutide therapy is efficacious at least in the short term, since it produces an initial reduction in blood sugar. However, many patients do not respond to the treatment and some even display adverse reactions such as nausea, vomiting and diarrhoea.

To study the long-term effects of incretin therapy, which has never previously been assayed, researchers at Karolinska Institutet and the University of Miami worked with humanised mice, generated by transplanting human insulin-producing cells into the anterior chamber of the eye. The mice were given daily doses of liraglutide for more than 250 days, during which time the researchers were able to monitor how the pancreatic beta cells were affected. The results showed an initial improvement in the insulin-producing cells, followed by a gradual exhaustion, with reduced secretion of insulin as a response to glucose. This, they say, was unexpected.

"Given the lack of clinical studies on the long-term effect of these drugs in diabetes patients, this is a very important discovery," says Midhat Abdulreda, researcher at the Diabetes Research Institute, University of Miami Miller School of Medicine.

"We also need to take these results into account before prescribing blood-sugar suppressing GLP-1 analogues when planning long-term treatment regimens for patients," says Per-Olof Berggren, PhD, Professor at the Rolf Luft Research Centre for Diabetes and Endocrinology at Karolinska Institutet's Department of Molecular Medicine and Surgery. "Our study also shows in general how to carry out in vivo studies of the long-term effects of drugs on human insulin-producing cells, which should be extremely important to the drug industry.

http://www.eurekalert.org/pub_releases/2016-02/ki-t2d020916.php
    Andy12345
    Andy12345

Male Posts : 1646

Type 2 diabetes drug can exhaust insulin-producing cells  Empty Re: Type 2 diabetes drug can exhaust insulin-producing cells

Post by Andy12345 Fri Feb 12 2016, 10:45

Yoly, this stuff sounds important, especially after reading the line that says "beware" as I'm taking these drugs (i think) i would love to understand what you are saying but alas i can't, this is the stuff that makes me feel stupid, i am assuming everyone else gets it?
    chris c
    chris c

Type 2 diabetes drug can exhaust insulin-producing cells  Empty Re: Type 2 diabetes drug can exhaust insulin-producing cells

Post by chris c Fri Feb 12 2016, 19:10

Exactly the same thing was hypothesised in the past with the drugs that stimulate insulin production like the sulphonureas. They were hypothesised to burn out beta cells prematurely from overuse and overstimulation. Can't remember what came of that, AFAICR some studies "proved" it was true, others "proved" it false. Whatever, it's pretty obvious that HCLF diets produce a rapid progression in terms of loss of insulin production.
    graham64
    graham64

Male Posts : 3730

Post by graham64 Fri Feb 12 2016, 21:28

Andy12345 wrote:Yoly, this stuff sounds important, especially after reading the line that says "beware" as I'm taking these drugs (i think) i would love to understand what you are saying but alas i can't, this is the stuff that makes me feel stupid, i am assuming everyone else gets it?

Andy which drugs are you taking  Question the one in the study Liraglutide is the brand name for Victoza, others in the same class are Bydureon, Byetta, Lyxumia, Trulicity and Lyxumia.
    yoly
    yoly

Post by yoly Fri Feb 12 2016, 21:37

It is generally accepted that but not not much fuss is made about it that sulphonylureas causes in the long term beta cells(insulin producing) burn out. It was thought that GLP-1 enhancers like the one in the study having another mode of action didn't, the study seem to indicated that they do. Is a study on little humans with fur coat and tail so is not proven yet. But seen how profitable this drugs are and how widely used it will probably be ignore. So long term use is at your own risk.
    Andy12345
    Andy12345

Male Posts : 1646

Post by Andy12345 Fri Feb 12 2016, 23:53

graham64 wrote:
    Andy12345 wrote:Yoly, this stuff sounds important, especially after reading the line that says "beware" as I'm taking these drugs (i think) i would love to understand what you are saying but alas i can't, this is the stuff that makes me feel stupid, i am assuming everyone else gets it?

Andy which drugs are you taking  Question the one in the study Liraglutide is the brand name for Victoza, others in the same class are Bydureon, Byetta, Lyxumia, Trulicity and Lyxumia.

only metformin, none of those
    Eddie
    Eddie

Male Posts : 3807

Post by Eddie Sat Feb 13 2016, 10:14

For what my opinion is worth, I have checked out thoroughly every type two diabetes med available, both current and banned for killing people. Other than Metformin I would not touch any with a barge pole. I made a decision some time ago, if Metformin and my low carb lifestyle cannot keep me to good BG numbers, I would go straight onto injected insulin. Notice I said good, not great. I tried to get into the 4% club but never got there. I did get to the 5% club within three months of diagnosis, with an HbA1c of almost 12 and average BG meter readings of 25.

The rock solid fact is, there is not a type two drug, or even a cocktail of type two drugs, that would have ever got me close to non diabetic numbers. Many type two meds come with side effects, and most are close to useless. Many over weight type two diabetics are awash with plasma insulin at diagnosis, injected insulin is the last thing they need, it only makes the problem worse, and the problem is insulin resistance, not lack of insulin.

Think about it, if most type two's beta cells are not up to the job, how can so many diabetics remain injected insulin free, and run good BG numbers, for donkeys years after diagnosis, many for the rest of their lives. Of course this can only be done with dietary changes. When the majority of medics and dietitians realise this, we will start making some progress against the epidemics of obesity and the often linked type two diabetes.
    chris c
    chris c

Post by chris c Sat Feb 13 2016, 18:09

yoly wrote:It is generally accepted that but not not much fuss is made about it that sulphonylureas causes in the long term beta cells(insulin producing) burn out. It was thought that GLP-1 enhancers like the one in the study having another mode of action didn't, the study seem to indicated that they do. Is a study on little humans with fur coat and tail so is not proven yet. But seen how profitable this drugs are and how widely used it will probably be ignore. So long term use is at your own risk.
    <G> at the little humans with fur coat and tail.

Well part of the reason beta cells burn out is overuse. GLP enhancers cause them to produce more insulin just by a less direct route. My theory is that like Fiat gearboxes and Ford rear axles they are the weakest link, and ANYTHING that overstresses them will cause their premature demise, whether that be high carb diets, different drugs or just getting old and worn out.
    Paul1976
    Paul1976

Male Posts : 2439

Post by Paul1976 Sat Feb 13 2016, 18:16

chris c wrote:
    yoly wrote:It is generally accepted that but not not much fuss is made about it that sulphonylureas causes in the long term beta cells(insulin producing) burn out. It was thought that GLP-1 enhancers like the one in the study having another mode of action didn't, the study seem to indicated that they do. Is a study on little humans with fur coat and tail so is not proven yet. But seen how profitable this drugs are and how widely used it will probably be ignore. So long term use is at your own risk.
    <G> at the little humans with fur coat and tail.

Well part of the reason beta cells burn out is overuse. GLP enhancers cause them to produce more insulin just by a less direct route. My theory is that like Fiat gearboxes and Ford rear axles they are the weakest link, and ANYTHING that overstresses them will cause their premature demise, whether that be high carb diets, different drugs or just getting old and worn out.

Yep,just like turbocharging a Morris Marina-It'll run like a beast for a while but'll go bang before you know it.
    chris c
    chris c

Post by chris c Sat Feb 13 2016, 19:19

And that differs from an unturbocharged Marina how exactly? <G>
    Eddie
    Eddie

Male Posts : 3807

Post by Eddie Sat Feb 13 2016, 19:26

chris c wrote:And that differs from an unturbocharged Marina how exactly? <G>

Agree, the car was total and utter crap, as most BL cars were.

BTW Chris what does this mean <G> are you a Freemason or something affraid
    chris c
    chris c

Post by chris c Mon Feb 15 2016, 17:51

Yet at the same time we were building the likes of ERF trucks renowned for their quality and longevity. And my Sunderland-built Nissan (also British-built Toyotas)are the equal of the Japanese and European-built cars, proof  that it was never the workers but the crap management that was to blame. Just like the current NHS, lions led by donkeys.

I was born and brought up on Usenet which was a text-only medium, <G> is a grin, <BG> is a Big Grin, <BFG> is a Big Fucking Grin etc. The nearest thing we had to smileys was "Smile"

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Mar 28 2024, 20:24