The Low Carb Diabetic

Promoting a low carb high fat lifestyle for the safe control of diabetes. Eat whole fresh food, more drugs are not the answer.


Welcome to the Low Carb Diabetic forum,have you signed up yet? if not then sign up and join us in the low carb community today!

    Low carb yorkshire puddings

    Share
    avatar
    Paul1976
    Moderator

    Status :
    Online
    Offline

    Male Posts : 2434
    Join date : 2014-08-12
    Age : 41
    Location : East midlands,UK

    Low carb yorkshire puddings

    Post by Paul1976 on Sun Sep 14 2014, 15:43

    It's roast Beef for us today and it got me wondering if there is a low carb 'Sin free and BG kind' Yorkshire pudding recipe out there and on trawling the net I found this little gem which looks great if the picture is anything to go by! Smile

    Carbs per serving: 2.5
    Ingredients:
    To make six Yorkshire puddings in a muffin tray:

    2/3 cup (40g) Soya Flour
    3 medium eggs
    100ml of whole milk
    Pinch of salt
    6 tbsp of sunflower oil

    Method:
    You can use a muffin baking tin or a Yorkshire pudding tin to make these.
    Heat the oven to 190C
    Pour a small amount of oil (sunflower or vegetable oils are best as they don’t burn or smoke in the oven) in each muffin or pudding tray and heat in the middle of the oven for between 10-15 minutes until really hot. (This is the secret of well-risen Yorkshire Puddings with any flour.)
    While the fat is heating the Yorkshire pudding batter can be mixed.
    Mix all the ingredients together in a bowl using a whisk until fully blended, and leave the mixture to rest until the fat is hot enough for the puddings.
    Give the mixture a final whisk just before pouring into the muffin or Yorkshire pudding tray. It will seem watery but will have thickened a bit by the last whisk.
    Fill the muffin cups or Yorkshire pudding tray three-quarters deep with the mixture. It is a batter mixture and should be fairly runny.
    Bake these in the middle of the oven and don’t open the oven for at least 20 mins after they have gone in or they will fall flat.
    They usually take between 25-35 minutes depending on your oven.
    If you have a fan oven they will cook more quickly. A lot depends on whether you like them golden or more browned and crisp.
    These can be served with boiled vegetables, gravy and a range of meats (eg: roast beef, chicken, lamb etc.) They are high in protein and nutrients. Dixies low carb mash potato is a good addition to the meal.

    This recipe can also be used to make batter for things like Toad in the Hole, or can even used as a pancake mixture.




    I haven't got the time or ingredients to make these myself today sadly but I'm gonna give these a go next time I have a roast! Smile

    Many thanks to the Low carb chef for this recipe and the great blog and recipe can be found here...

    http://low-carb-recipes-online.blogspot.co.uk/2013/05/low-carb-yorkshire-puddings_8052.html


    _________________
    Illegitimi non carborundum
    avatar
    Andy12345
    Member

    Status :
    Online
    Offline

    Male Posts : 1637
    Join date : 2014-08-14
    Age : 47
    Location : Surrey

    Re: Low carb yorkshire puddings

    Post by Andy12345 on Sun Sep 14 2014, 16:45

    hmmm sounds good, do you know how long soy flour lasts in an airtight container/jar? ive got some in the cupboard but it musta been there a year?
    avatar
    Paul1976
    Moderator

    Status :
    Online
    Offline

    Male Posts : 2434
    Join date : 2014-08-12
    Age : 41
    Location : East midlands,UK

    Re: Low carb yorkshire puddings

    Post by Paul1976 on Sun Sep 14 2014, 16:48

    About a year in an airtight container so you should be alright mate! Smile


    _________________
    Illegitimi non carborundum
    avatar
    Andy12345
    Member

    Status :
    Online
    Offline

    Male Posts : 1637
    Join date : 2014-08-14
    Age : 47
    Location : Surrey

    Re: Low carb yorkshire puddings

    Post by Andy12345 on Sun Sep 14 2014, 18:45

    thanks mate! just been out on the bikes and dinner is nearly on the plate so next week ill give em go Smile

    cold ethyl
    Member

    Status :
    Online
    Offline

    Posts : 78
    Join date : 2014-08-14

    Re: Low carb yorkshire puddings

    Post by cold ethyl on Sun Sep 14 2014, 19:45

    Look delicious. Will give them a try as I could just fancy toad in the hole with gravy and some mashed swede.
    avatar
    Andy12345
    Member

    Status :
    Online
    Offline

    Male Posts : 1637
    Join date : 2014-08-14
    Age : 47
    Location : Surrey

    Re: Low carb yorkshire puddings

    Post by Andy12345 on Sun Sep 14 2014, 20:09

    @cold ethyl wrote:Look delicious. Will give them a try as I could just fancy toad in the hole with gravy and some mashed swede.



    even after being full to bursting after that dinner....that still makes me hungry lol
    avatar
    Paul1976
    Moderator

    Status :
    Online
    Offline

    Male Posts : 2434
    Join date : 2014-08-12
    Age : 41
    Location : East midlands,UK

    Re: Low carb yorkshire puddings

    Post by Paul1976 on Sun Sep 14 2014, 20:17

    As long as it's not like the Toad in the hole that they used to serve up for school dinners in the 80's eh? affraid All hole and no toad from what I remember and what 'sausage' you did get resembled corpses fingers! affraid affraid


    _________________
    Illegitimi non carborundum
    avatar
    zand
    Member

    Status :
    Online
    Offline

    Female Posts : 1940
    Join date : 2014-08-14

    Re: Low carb yorkshire puddings

    Post by zand on Sun Sep 14 2014, 20:26

    I don't think I can have those 'cos soya upsets my thyroid Sad
    avatar
    Paul1976
    Moderator

    Status :
    Online
    Offline

    Male Posts : 2434
    Join date : 2014-08-12
    Age : 41
    Location : East midlands,UK

    Re: Low carb yorkshire puddings

    Post by Paul1976 on Sun Sep 14 2014, 21:07

    @zand wrote:I don't think I can have those 'cos soya upsets my thyroid Sad

    Could you not substitute the soy for coconut or almond flour? Smile


    _________________
    Illegitimi non carborundum
    avatar
    zand
    Member

    Status :
    Online
    Offline

    Female Posts : 1940
    Join date : 2014-08-14

    Re: Low carb yorkshire puddings

    Post by zand on Sun Sep 14 2014, 22:07

    Paul wrote:
    @zand wrote:I don't think I can have those 'cos soya upsets my thyroid Sad

    Could you not substitute the soy for coconut or almond flour? Smile

    Yeh, I could try, my cooking is atrocious though.
    avatar
    Jan1
    Member

    Status :
    Online
    Offline

    Female Posts : 4271
    Join date : 2014-08-13

    Re: Low carb yorkshire puddings

    Post by Jan1 on Fri Jan 30 2015, 13:41

    Paul wrote:It's roast Beef for us today and it got me wondering if there is a low carb 'Sin free and BG kind' Yorkshire pudding recipe out there and on trawling the net I found this little gem which looks great if the picture is anything to go by! Smile

    Carbs per serving: 2.5
    Ingredients:
    To make six Yorkshire puddings in a muffin tray:

    2/3 cup (40g) Soya Flour
    3 medium eggs
    100ml of whole milk
    Pinch of salt
    6 tbsp of sunflower oil

    Method:
    You can use a muffin baking tin or a Yorkshire pudding tin to make these.
    Heat the oven to 190C
    Pour a small amount of oil (sunflower or vegetable oils are best as they don’t burn or smoke in the oven) in each muffin or pudding tray and heat in the middle of the oven for between 10-15 minutes until really hot. (This is the secret of well-risen Yorkshire Puddings with any flour.)
    While the fat is heating the Yorkshire pudding batter can be mixed.
    Mix all the ingredients together in a bowl using a whisk until fully blended, and leave the mixture to rest until the fat is hot enough for the puddings.
    Give the mixture a final whisk just before pouring into the muffin or Yorkshire pudding tray. It will seem watery but will have thickened a bit by the last whisk.  
    Fill the muffin cups or Yorkshire pudding tray three-quarters deep with the mixture. It is a batter mixture and should be fairly runny.
    Bake these in the middle of the oven and don’t open the oven for at least 20 mins after they have gone in or they will fall flat.
    They usually take between 25-35 minutes depending on your oven.
    If you have a fan oven they will cook more quickly.  A lot depends on whether you like them golden or more browned and crisp.
    These can be served with boiled vegetables, gravy and a range of meats (eg: roast beef, chicken, lamb etc.) They are high in protein and nutrients. Dixies low carb mash potato is a good addition to the meal.

    This recipe can also be used to make batter for things like Toad in the Hole, or can even used as a pancake mixture.




    I haven't got the time or ingredients to make these myself today sadly but I'm gonna give these a go next time I have a roast! Smile

    Many thanks to the Low carb chef for this recipe and the great blog and recipe can be found here...

    http://low-carb-recipes-online.blogspot.co.uk/2013/05/low-carb-yorkshire-puddings_8052.html



    Yes, a bumped post - and I know soya may not be everyone's cup of tea, but if this recipe suits you, and you are having a lovely roast over the weekend you may like to try it out. You can I think substitute the soy with something different almond flour for instance.

    Thanks to Paul for originally posting this.

    All the best Jan
    avatar
    mo1905
    Moderator

    Status :
    Online
    Offline

    Male Posts : 2303
    Join date : 2014-08-10
    Location : Cambs

    Re: Low carb yorkshire puddings

    Post by mo1905 on Fri Jan 30 2015, 17:31

    Looks very nice Jan. I've got a great recipe for low carb toad-in-the-hole:


    _________________
    Type1, Humalog and Solostar, Metformin, Lisinopril ( BP ), last HbA1C 41 ( 5.9% ), 20th Oct 2014, HbA1C 43 ( 6.1% ) 9th Mar 2015.
    avatar
    Jan1
    Member

    Status :
    Online
    Offline

    Female Posts : 4271
    Join date : 2014-08-13

    Re: Low carb yorkshire puddings

    Post by Jan1 on Fri Jan 30 2015, 18:28

    @mo1905 wrote:Looks very nice Jan. I've got a great recipe for low carb toad-in-the-hole:

    They look good enough to eat lol!

    All the best Jan
    avatar
    Paul1976
    Moderator

    Status :
    Online
    Offline

    Male Posts : 2434
    Join date : 2014-08-12
    Age : 41
    Location : East midlands,UK

    Re: Low carb yorkshire puddings

    Post by Paul1976 on Sun Mar 22 2015, 18:04

    FINALLY got round to making these today,followed the instructions to the latter using a metal muffin tray and they are excellent!! thumb-up My family couldn't tell the difference and I made six which worked out at 2 grams of carbs per pudding! Happy days!! Smile
    Thanks again Claire87 (Much missed low carber at DCUK) whose blog this recipe was from.


    _________________
    Illegitimi non carborundum
    avatar
    Jan1
    Member

    Status :
    Online
    Offline

    Female Posts : 4271
    Join date : 2014-08-13

    Re: Low carb yorkshire puddings

    Post by Jan1 on Sun Mar 22 2015, 19:34

    Paul wrote:FINALLY got round to making these today,followed the instructions to the latter using a metal muffin tray and they are excellent!! thumb-up My family couldn't tell the difference and I made six which worked out at 2 grams of carbs per pudding! Happy days!! Smile
    Thanks again Claire87 (Much missed low carber at DCUK) whose blog this recipe was from.

    Great to hear this Paul

    Who says LCHF restricts your choice of foods sunny

    Just take a look at the great range of foods available ...........and we have some great recipes on this Forum too  Smile  

    All the best Jan
    avatar
    Jan1
    Member

    Status :
    Online
    Offline

    Female Posts : 4271
    Join date : 2014-08-13

    Re: Low carb yorkshire puddings

    Post by Jan1 on Fri Oct 16 2015, 13:34

    As the weekend is not far away, and you may be having a roast ...

    If you are looking for a low carb yorkshire pudding recipe as well as Paul's above here is another one that a 'low carb fan' recently shared in a comment on the low carb diabetic blog.

    Thought it well worth repeating here  Smile

    "To go with roast beef some Low Carb Yorkshire Puddings
    Ingredients
    1/4 C Roast beef drippings
    2 Eggs
    1 C Almond flour
    1/2 t Salt
    1 C Heavy cream

    Directions
    Heat oven to 425F degrees.

    Pour beef drippings into 9 inch square pan, tilt pan to coat bottom and sides.

    Place pan in oven to heat about 2 minutes.

    In small bowl, beat eggs slightly.

    Lightly spoon almond flour into measuring cup and level off.

    Add almond flour, salt, and cream. Beat just until blended. DO NOT OVERBEAT.

    Pour batter into hot pan.

    Bake at 425F degrees for 15 minutes.

    Reduce oven temperature to 350F degrees and bake an additional 10 to 15 minutes or until puffed and golden brown.

    http://www.lowcarbcooking.org/print.php?id=1023

    From Low Carb Fan"

    All the best Jan
    avatar
    Jan1
    Member

    Status :
    Online
    Offline

    Female Posts : 4271
    Join date : 2014-08-13

    Re: Low carb yorkshire puddings

    Post by Jan1 on Sat Nov 07 2015, 09:54

    As it's the weekend some of you may be having Roast Beef - don't forget those low carb Yorkshires ...



    Have a look at the earlier / previous posts on this thread for some low carb Yorkshire Pudding and Batter ideas.

    All the best Jan

    flower

      Current date/time is Mon Nov 20 2017, 02:14