THE LOW CARB DIABETIC

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
THE LOW CARB DIABETIC

Promoting a low carb high fat lifestyle for the safe control of diabetes. Eat whole fresh food, more drugs are not the answer.

Welcome to the Low Carb Diabetic forum,have you signed up yet? if not then sign up and join us in the low carb community today!

+6
Mrs Vimes
Two Collies
graham64
mo1905
Andy12345
Eddie
10 posters

DCUK Forum of flog issues warning.

Eddie
    Eddie

Male Posts : 3807

DCUK Forum of flog issues warning. Empty DCUK Forum of flog issues warning.

Post by Eddie Tue Jan 26 2016, 14:34

"If you are looking into LCHF for your child, please speak to your child's diabetes consultant and paediatrician first.

There are indeed many benefits to LCHF - however, a substantial dietary adaptation should not be undertaken by children without appropriate input and monitoring from a health team to ensure the child's growth is normal and their nutritional needs are being met at all stages of their childhood.

By all means, ask questions, share your views and engage in discussion - but please speak to your child's diabetes team too."

Posted by the diabetes.co.uk forum administrator 26th. January 2016 here.

http://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/low-carb-high-fat-lchf-for-children.91235/

The forum known as the 'Flog' because it tries to sell products and services to it's members at every opportunity. When it is not selling members private information to big pharma companies for drug trials, issues a warning re. the Low carb higher fat diet to parents of diabetic children.

Link to Coventry Telegraph here.

http://www.coventrytelegraph.net/news/coventry-news/gps-give-medical-advice-havent-9766465

"One of the ways the website makes money is by charging to put organisations such as pharmaceutical companies doing medical trials in touch with forum members who have diabetes."  Mr. Arjun Panesar forum of flog owner.

This is somewhat surprising, because so impressed are the forums management with the LCHF diet for adults, they have put together their own training program for low carb. Admittedly, it is primarily a marketing tool, to extract ever more private information from the members. Clearly, they have publicly given low carb their seal of approval, but why the warning? Keep in mind, low carb higher healthy fat promoters are recommending eating whole fresh food, and staying well clear of factory produced high sugar/starch junk.

Is this a back covering exercise? DCUK must know the majority of 'experts' are against LCHF for adults, let alone children, although this attitude is changing fast. The low fat high carb diet has proved to be an unmitigated disaster, for not only diabetics, but the general population. The forum management should also know, some of the best controlled type one diabetic children in the world, are low carbers, as can be seen by clicking on the links below.

It seems fair to me, the management should consider posting up the links below, on their forum. It offers balance to their post today, that's if they believe a whole fresh food approach is the way forward for diabetics. All diabetics, including children.  

Typeonegrit the Facebook site of the low carb type one diabetic children, holding blood glucose numbers very few diabetics ever achieve is here.

https://www.facebook.com/Type1Grit

Eddie
    Eddie

DCUK Forum of flog issues warning. Empty Re: DCUK Forum of flog issues warning.

Post by Eddie Tue Jan 26 2016, 15:56

This comment came in on the blog re the above post.

"cecil has left a new comment on your post "DCUK Forum of flog issues warning.":

of course its a back covering exercise. they're a commercial entity issuing health advice. what if someone were to get ill (unlikely, but hypothetically speaking) based on their advice? i don't think someone would hesitate to sue!

surely you don't want to see a company trying to make an honest dollar by giving advice that really works get sued? that would set things back by many years, as diabetes.co.uk really are the front runners in promoting the benefits of low carb. i am sure doctor unwin would agree with this comment also."

"diabetes.co.uk really are the front runners in promoting the benefits of low carb"

Jeez, none so blind as those who do not want to see.

The Dr.Unwin, all round good guy stated on Twitter today, the flog reckons 40,000 people have signed up for their low carb program. I doubt very much if 40,000 people have posted on the forum in a very long while, let alone 40K in the time they have been running their LC info gathering exercise.

The Flog, front runners in spouting bullshit.
    Andy12345
    Andy12345

Male Posts : 1646

Post by Andy12345 Tue Jan 26 2016, 16:15

I thought in their terms somewhere, it stated that any advice taken should be by the consent and knowledge of our health "care" professionals, I've certainly heard it said many times to people, why single out lchf? why not post a message saying children trying to control diabetes by means of high carb low fat diet should only do so under consent of the doctor? it is suggesting that it could be dangerous, so eating cakes and crisps for dinner is fine, but not meat and veg? that needs medical advice, its saying something without saying it, what is the point in a forum if anything we are told we have to check with the doctor? why not just go straight to the doctor and bypass the forum all together? how many doctors will agree its a good idea for me, let alone my kids? this warning is sowing the seed of doubt
    Andy12345
    Andy12345

Post by Andy12345 Tue Jan 26 2016, 16:17

appologies for being less eloquent than you Eddie

Embarassed
    mo1905
    mo1905

Male Posts : 2305

Post by mo1905 Tue Jan 26 2016, 16:21

If you remember, when Rod made his fantastic post promoting the benefits of LCHF and other hints ( similar to the one Daisy gives ), a similar health warning was posted alongside it.
    You don't see these warnings applied to Paleo, the 5:2 diet, juicing or low carb/high protein ! It's just not cricket !
    Andy12345
    Andy12345

Post by Andy12345 Tue Jan 26 2016, 16:25

how could someone sue someone else for saying reduce you carbs and eat more veg? cut out process junk food and eat natural? cut out sugar? and then not sue someone for marketing junk food at kids? its bananas
    Eddie
    Eddie

Post by Eddie Tue Jan 26 2016, 16:44

Andy12345 wrote:appologies for being less eloquent than you Eddie

Embarassed

No need for an apology Andy. You work hard for a living and have far less time than and old retired codger like me. Mind you, I'm seriously thinking about doing something useful with what life I have left, like err..fishing. rofl
    Eddie
    Eddie

Post by Eddie Tue Jan 26 2016, 16:49

mo1905 wrote:If you remember, when Rod made his fantastic post promoting the benefits of LCHF and other hints ( similar to the one Daisy gives ), a similar health warning was posted alongside it.
    You don't see these warnings applied to Paleo, the 5:2 diet, juicing or low carb/high protein ! It's just not cricket !

100% spot on Mo. That is why I reckon the flogs low carb sudden big interest is a sham. They will do anything to extract info from the members. Because information is a money maker for them. I wonder how they will cover their arses when one of the members goes down on one of their drug trial earners. No doubt a waterproof disclaimer.
    graham64
    graham64

Male Posts : 3730

Post by graham64 Tue Jan 26 2016, 22:56

Well someones obviously not taken Admins advice on board  Shocked

Daughter just started LCHF - bolus for protein Type1

http://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/daughter-just-started-lchf-bolus-for-protein-type1.91138/
    Eddie
    Eddie

Post by Eddie Wed Jan 27 2016, 11:29

graham64 wrote:Well someones obviously not taken Admins advice on board  Shocked

Daughter just started LCHF - bolus for protein Type1

http://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/daughter-just-started-lchf-bolus-for-protein-type1.91138/

I had a look at that thread, loads of waffle from a type one mod, and Phoenix the Queen of carb up and shoot poking her oar in. Thank God someone pointed the guy in the direction of Lisa http://diabeticalien.blogspot.co.uk/
    Two Collies
    Two Collies

Male Posts : 133

Post by Two Collies Wed Jan 27 2016, 13:32

Eddie wrote:
    graham64 wrote:<snip>... Thank God someone pointed the guy in the direction of Lisa http://diabeticalien.blogspot.co.uk/
    some people do hang around there to point folks in the right direction! Smile
    Mrs Vimes
    Mrs Vimes

Female Posts : 156

Post by Mrs Vimes Wed Jan 27 2016, 17:35

He's now a gritter!
    Eddie
    Eddie

Post by Eddie Wed Jan 27 2016, 19:02

Mrs Vimes wrote:He's now a gritter!

That's good to know, what patronising gibber the man had to contend with. Clearly he is very bright and doing everything humanly possible to give his child the best start he can. Meanwhile the mod talked nonsense and some tried to imply the man was not doing his best or risking her health. Outrageous, but of course the man believes in a low carb diet. If low carbers had waded into other forums with the attitude of some of the posters, the mods would have acted.
    Mrs Vimes
    Mrs Vimes

Post by Mrs Vimes Wed Jan 27 2016, 19:25

I messaged him to pass on info. Not worth the hassle with the 'won't somebody think of the children' 'they need to have normal (?) opportunities/life sh@te' to do it on the thread.
    He seems logical and probably make up his own mind from the evidence.
    Kids need PROTEIN to grow not a F@@@ing Macdonalds/pasta/rice aaaarrrgggghhhh !
    Bless them!
    Eddie
    Eddie

Post by Eddie Wed Jan 27 2016, 19:35

Mrs Vimes wrote:I messaged him to pass on info. Not worth the hassle with the 'won't somebody think of the children' 'they need to have normal (?) opportunities/life sh@te' to do it on the thread.
    He seems logical and probably make up his own mind from the evidence.
    Kids need PROTEIN to grow not a F@@@ing Macdonalds/pasta/rice aaaarrrgggghhhh !
    Bless them!

What has sickened me beyond words I can use on here, is the fact all we have ever done for over seven years is to promote whole fresh food. Meals based on a very wide range of vegetables, meat, fish, dairy, even some fruits such as berries. Jeez, our grandchildren eat low carb, when you think about it, almost all fresh food from the farm and sea is low carb. If that is not a good start for a child, especially a type one diabetic, I don't know what is.
    chris c
    chris c

Post by chris c Wed Jan 27 2016, 19:45

Meanwhile In Other News, I can't remember which particular statinator it was who claimed that babies should be started on a low fat diet by age 2. Most dieticians will insist that babies are weaned on to cereal.

A girl I know, now a teen, is on a pump and generally has an A1c around 9. She's bright as a button and her mother is far from stupid but they have not had good information so far. I've pointed them towards the BDEC course, Bernstein, John Walsh's books and Type 1 Grit, oh and suggested they contact the pump manufacturer to be put in touch with an advisor, but they are going along with what their doctor and dietician have told them Sad
    Mrs Vimes
    Mrs Vimes

Post by Mrs Vimes Wed Jan 27 2016, 19:54

Chris c that is tragic. A bright person has got a better chance of a complications free life than some poor bugger who struggles with maths.
    I've seen it in school.
    I should add, this is not me being horrible. If you can deal with numbers then you'll grasp control faster so not to be given all information is wrong.
    Derek
    Derek

Post by Derek Thu Jan 28 2016, 14:11

Hi,
    I read the thread,  I can't see that it is forum policy or the moderators would be endlessly at it.

I think she has a problem with self image and is riding her own particular 'hobby horse', sometimes mods like that know they have got it wrong and can't back down.

So many things are politically incorrect nowadays, so  I guess she feels telling someone to consult their health care professional first will make her go to bed at night with a warm feeling of being a prudent advisor.

She wouldn't dare telling a family of hippo lookalikes they are fat and killing their kids with carbs and should consult a doctor because that would be politically incorrect and she may get wopped! Smile

I was on a forum where a guy suggested a friend of a moderator behaviour was perverse. I saw the post, and he was right and I saw her delete it and insist he had said this a.n.other was perverted.

I supported the guy wrongly moderated and the s***t  really hit the fan, it destroyed the forum in the end because the moderator was basically wrong headed and was backed up by the owner and we all took different sides.  It was Syria in a bottle.

You cannot buck the system, management invariably backs seniority.

B.T.W. I think the parent in question could see through the suspect advice and was wise enough to keep the best interest of his child to the fore.

I think you guys may be ever so slightly overstating your case about DCUK!
    regards
    Derek
    Andy12345
    Andy12345

Post by Andy12345 Thu Jan 28 2016, 19:26

I'm not sure what you mean about overstating but I think as a moderator, you represent the site, the warning for me is once again an example of dcuk being anti low carb, if I'm paranoid, they made me so, if they are adopting lchf, it is because they simply have no choice under the mountains of evidence, they would look ridiculous to not do so, but fundamentally are against it, for the reasons mentioned many time by Eddie, until lchf gets an equal crack, how can folks get a balanced view to therefore make an informed choice, if for example someone on the fence saw that post made by the responsible management of the biggest forum, they could be put off a path of saving their kids life, I'm sorry if I don't explain myself well, but I don't think you can overstate the damage such a post or attitude can do
    Andy12345
    Andy12345

Post by Andy12345 Thu Jan 28 2016, 19:28

I'm not bitter towards dcuk because I got banned, I got banned because I was bitter
    Mrs Vimes
    Mrs Vimes

Post by Mrs Vimes Thu Jan 28 2016, 20:53

Will I be next getting banned from dcuk then? Ooooo it's dead exciting. Low carb for everyone.
    Andy12345
    Andy12345

Post by Andy12345 Thu Jan 28 2016, 21:18

Hope not

But when your numbers up....

My actual banning was for saying "I agree" with a post, the person who said it (that the cherub was being childish) didn't get banned, but I did for agreeing lol, so I guess my number was up
    chris c
    chris c

Post by chris c Thu Jan 28 2016, 21:56

Mrs Vimes wrote:Chris c that is tragic. A bright person has got a better chance of a complications free life than some poor bugger who struggles with maths.
    I've seen it in school.
    I should add, this is not me being horrible. If you can deal with numbers then you'll grasp control faster so not to be given all information is wrong.
    Precisely! Sad

It's the attitude from all too many "healthcare professionals" that the dogma MUST be right and therefore the patients are doing it wrong that gets my goat.

Ooh, goat! haven't eaten that for a while . . .
    Andy12345
    Andy12345

Post by Andy12345 Thu Jan 28 2016, 22:11

Do people eat goat?
    graham64
    graham64

Male Posts : 3730

Post by graham64 Thu Jan 28 2016, 22:26

Andy12345 wrote:Hope not

But when your numbers up....

My actual banning was for saying "I agree" with a post, the person who said it (that the cherub was being childish) didn't get banned, but I did for agreeing lol, so I guess my number was up

Your banning really comes down to being a low carber Andy the same applies to Paul and Mo, since the cherub was made a mod she's been doing her version of ethnic cleansing with low carbers being her target  Rolling Eyes

Think of the many low carbers who have been banned or have just left because of the oppressive moderation, given that admin has seen fit to appoint mods with an obvious bias against Low Carb things will only go downhill  Evil or Very Mad

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 19 2024, 09:58