The Low Carb Diabetic

Promoting a low carb high fat lifestyle for the safe control of diabetes. Eat whole fresh food, more drugs are not the answer.

Welcome to the Low Carb Diabetic forum,have you signed up yet? if not then sign up and join us in the low carb community today!

Flu and Pneumonia Jabs

j

Male Posts : 111

Re: Flu and Pneumonia Jabs

Post by j on Fri Nov 21 2014, 08:10

something is helping with the flu and pneumonia

zand

Female Posts : 1940

Post by zand on Fri Nov 21 2014, 08:21

Antibiotics?

edit: I say this because it's often not the virus that kills but the bacterial infection that comes with it. As an asthmatic that's what I fear.

j

Male Posts : 111

Post by j on Fri Nov 21 2014, 08:55

yep, antibiotics would make a big difference, by chance i came across the chart on the 'make your own test strip' post and thought to repost it here
    http://www.sciencealert.com/cheap-diabetes-tests-can-now-be-printed-on-an-ink-jet-printer?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+sciencealert-latestnews+%28ScienceAlert-Latest%29
    AliB

Female Posts : 377

Post by AliB on Fri Nov 21 2014, 15:33

Maybe it was at the bottom of the list because other things got to people before flu or pneumonua.

It's kind of turned tail. Maybe these days you're more likely to end up with Cancer or heart disease due to being poisoned by your diet or drugs.....

We are told people are living longer, and that may be true. There isn't the poverty like there was or the inner city slum unsanitary conditions, but it does seem that whilst they may live longer - or be kept alive longer, quality of life for many has rapidly decreased. People in general seem to be sick and ailing for a lot longer before they do actually die.

Not sure which is worse....
    Jan1

Female Posts : 3894

Post by Jan1 on Fri Nov 21 2014, 16:05

Interesting chart 'J' thanks  ..........

I have to say I agree with Ali when she says " It's kind of turned tail. Maybe these days you're more likely to end up with Cancer or heart disease due to being poisoned by your diet or drugs.....

We are told people are living longer, and that may be true. There isn't the poverty like there was or the inner city slum unsanitary conditions, but it does seem that whilst they may live longer - or be kept alive longer, quality of life for many has rapidly decreased. People in general seem to be sick and ailing for a lot longer before they do actually die.

Not sure which is worse....
    "

All the best Jan

flower
    Indy51

Female Posts : 344

Post by Indy51 on Fri Nov 21 2014, 22:27

I'm currently struggling with the decision about whether to have the shingles vaccination or not. It's not covered by our prescription scheme and will cost me $210, plus all the usual worries about reactions and so on. BUT with figures like 50% of people over 65 likely to get it AND the GP is convinced I've got a patch of it on my bum of all places, I can't help but worry about it spreading. Just this tiny spot is bloody painful, so the idea of getting more of it is a worry. I've had friends who've had bad cases and it just about drove them crazy and took ages for the flare ups and after-pain to go away completely.

Has anyone had this one?
    Andy12345

Male Posts : 1634

Post by Andy12345 on Sat Nov 22 2014, 07:28

if you already had it, would that not mean you have the antibodies to make it better being produced? which is what i thought vaccinations gave us? it won't surprise me if I'm wrong

personally never had shingles but know lots of people that have, it sounds dreadful, if the vaccine worked i would happily pay if i were you
    zand

Female Posts : 1940

Post by zand on Sat Nov 22 2014, 08:24

I've never had the shingles jab but I've had shingles when I was 33 and was going through a very stressful time. I made an appointment to see my GP about the rash but my 4 year old had a really bad asthma attack just before the appointment, so I asked the doctor if she would use the appointment for my son instead. She treated him and then looked at me and said it was shingles and gave me anti-virals. They worked wonders. My mother had shingles for months, mine lasted a couple of weeks and wasn't that painful really, the rash stopped spreading as soon as I took the tablets.

Indy51

Female Posts : 344

Post by Indy51 on Sat Nov 22 2014, 09:45

@Andy12345 wrote:if you already had it, would that not mean you have the antibodies to make it better being produced? which is what i thought vaccinations gave us? it won't surprise me if I'm wrong

personally never had shingles but know lots of people that have, it sounds dreadful, if the vaccine worked i would happily pay if i were you
    According to the notes the chemist gave me, if you already have it (or have another attack), the vaccination can reduce the severity of the attack.

I'm really surprised public health/governments haven't started subsidising/promoting the vaccine to the aging population given the odds of getting it - many people end up hospitalised with it and the recovery time can be very long with persistent, hard to manage pain. Promoting it would make much more sense than some of the other drugs they try to force-feed to us.

Still haven't lodged the prescription to be filled, but more and more thinking it would be a good investment given the high probability of a bad attack at some point.
    Paul1976

Male Posts : 2419

Post by Paul1976 on Sat Nov 22 2014, 10:10

After knowing some folks who developed it and had severe pain from the nerves in the chest during an attack-I think it would be a good investment too.

Male Posts : 2719

Post by graham64 on Sat Nov 22 2014, 23:26

@Indy51 wrote:I'm currently struggling with the decision about whether to have the shingles vaccination or not. It's not covered by our prescription scheme and will cost me $210, plus all the usual worries about reactions and so on. BUT with figures like 50% of people over 65 likely to get it AND the GP is convinced I've got a patch of it on my bum of all places, I can't help but worry about it spreading. Just this tiny spot is bloody painful, so the idea of getting more of it is a worry. I've had friends who've had bad cases and it just about drove them crazy and took ages for the flare ups and after-pain to go away completely.

Has anyone had this one?

I recently received a letter from my surgery inviting me in for the flu jab and also offering me the shingles vaccination, having decided not to have the flu jab like you Jill I'm undecided about the shingles jab, as far as I know it's not been on the market for long though I do intend to see what I can find out about it. 

My Brother-in-Law actually took part in the trials for the shingles vaccination but obviously we don't know if he had the placebo or the actual vaccination.

Proving the LowCarb sceptics wrong for over nine years,

Not all cherubs are Angels  Wink nor all diabetics Bonkers  Rolling Eyes

Current date/time is Thu May 25 2017, 11:36