THE LOW CARB DIABETIC

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
THE LOW CARB DIABETIC

Promoting a low carb high fat lifestyle for the safe control of diabetes. Eat whole fresh food, more drugs are not the answer.

Welcome to the Low Carb Diabetic forum,have you signed up yet? if not then sign up and join us in the low carb community today!

3 posters

Shopping list must haves?

Lesley

Female Posts : 10

Shopping list must haves? Empty Shopping list must haves?

Post by Lesley Wed Sep 10 2014, 17:05

Hi All,

I have been mooching around the forum and it's great!

I am going to do my 'big' shop either tomorrow or friday and I was wondering if anyone has a low carb shopping list for the main items.

As I said in my intro I have tried a few times to low carb but ended up crumbing to the toast and butties and I think it's because I didn't have enough variety and felt I was living on the same things day in day out.

Anything you could throw at me for idea's would be great!

Lesley x
    Paul1976
    Paul1976

Male Posts : 2439

Shopping list must haves? Empty Re: Shopping list must haves?

Post by Paul1976 Wed Sep 10 2014, 17:27

Lesley wrote:Hi All,

I have been mooching around the forum and it's great!

I am going to do my 'big' shop either tomorrow or friday and I was wondering if anyone has a low carb shopping list for the main items.  

As I said in my intro I have tried a few times to low carb but ended up crumbing to the toast and butties and I think it's because I didn't have enough variety and felt I was living on the same things day in day out.

Anything you could throw at me for idea's would be great!  

Lesley x

Hiya!

Before we do that it would be good if you could list the foods you can't eat any under circumstances for one reason or another...It would enable any advice we give you as a community to reflect your circumstances. Smile

Cheers

Paul
    Eddie
    Eddie

Male Posts : 3807

Post by Eddie Wed Sep 10 2014, 17:47

Hi Lesley

A good reply from Paul. If you have no other health issues other than diabetes, a few good tips. We all love butter, keep away from margarines, vegetable oils and other failed science experiments. If someone is dumping carbs big time, they need to make up the lost calories, with natural fats, don't over do proteins. Avocado, nuts, seeds, olive oil and fish are great sources of healthy fats. Contrary to what some naysayers say us low carbers are not pigging out on blocks of lard, although high quality lard is one of the best fats we can use.

This may seem complicated at the moment, but I assure you it quickly becomes second nature. Just Google low carb recipes and the world will become your lobster. There I go again, anything out of the sea is low carb. Think about this, with few exceptions almost all fresh whole food, is low carb. Meat, fish, dairy, and so many vegetables, even some fruits like berries.

Go for it, you know it makes sense, why fight it ?

Regards Eddie
    Lesley

Post by Lesley Wed Sep 10 2014, 18:02

Thanks for the responses guys! I would say that the only thing I can't eat is carbs!

I am determined to do this. Do you try to stick to a certain amount of carbs per day? I read somewhere about 20g per day, is that about right?
    Eddie
    Eddie

Male Posts : 3807

Post by Eddie Wed Sep 10 2014, 18:11

Lesley wrote:Thanks for the responses guys!  I would say that the only thing I can't eat is carbs!  

I am determined to do this.  Do you try to stick to a certain amount of carbs per day? I read somewhere about 20g per day, is that about right?

20 is very low even the low carb King Dr.Richard Bernstein (check him out) uses 30 carbs per day. I reckon around 50 is cool and more importantly sustainable for life. This sort of carb content gives a huge range of meal options available. Having said that, the true low carb star diabetics I know (HbA1c in the fours) are using around 30 carbs per day, I reckon it depends on age and other factors and how far you want to go.

Always best to walk before you try to run. For us diabetics BG numbers are all important, this ain't no race.

One other very important point. If you are dumping carbs big time, test, test and test, your BG numbers could drop big time and serious hypos are the last thing you want, be very careful when adjusting insulin or other medications !

Eddie
    Lesley

Post by Lesley Wed Sep 10 2014, 18:20

Thanks Eddie!

I think I'll maybe start with 50 and then I can always work it down from there.

I have got Bernsteins book. I bought it a good few years ago and read it but I'm not too sure where I put it now I want to recap!

Lesley x

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 19 2024, 09:36