The Low Carb Diabetic

Promoting a low carb high fat lifestyle for the safe control of diabetes. Eat whole fresh food, more drugs are not the answer.

Welcome to the Low Carb Diabetic forum,have you signed up yet? if not then sign up and join us in the low carb community today!

Admitting Defeat

chris c

Admitting Defeat

Post by chris c on Wed Dec 02 2015, 19:37

There was a huge murmuration of starlings at Minsmere reserve a while back, but they soon moved on.

A few days back I saw a large flock heading south east. Before I could explore where they were heading I saw another large flock heading north east. I headed out to where I thought they might be, from previous years, but no joy.

Today I headed down the coast and had a walk on the beach. Then I went to Aldeburgh, parked up south of the town and decided to walk to the fort.

After I'd been walking for quite some time the fort didn't seem to be any nearer so I admitted defeat and turned back.

The wind was dire, it comes straight from the Urals and barely touches ground in between there and here. We call it a "lazy wind" because it can't be bothered to go round you, it just cuts straight through. Walking in it purely eats up the calories.

On the way back I did see a small flock of starlings and stopped to watch them for a while, but I think the wind had knackered them as much as it did me.

On my to do list, another attack on the garden as the leaves are finally falling off things and other stuff is finally dying back. Yet there are still roses and spring flowers out, and I've already seen the first scented violets and hellebores aka Christmas Roses from next year.

Also on my to do list, vacuuming the house from top to bottom and removing the remaining spiders. I'm probably going to employ someone to do it for me. Does anyone else find it hard to get motivated when it's dark for so long?

Bah, humbug . . .
    Jan1

Female Posts : 4098

Re: Admitting Defeat

Post by Jan1 on Wed Dec 02 2015, 19:52

I don't think dark nights do inspire you to anything too energetic. It's nice to curl up with a book ... check any blogs / forums you may be reading and relax with a glass of wine .. or cup of tea!

I saw some lovely 'pink roses' today, I wasn't sure what they were, I'd perhaps call them a wild rose but they did look very colourful among the hedgerow.

Nothing worse than a cold wind that seems to bite through you ... although wrapped up warm perhaps it's better than getting soaked through Question

This time of year, we have to take what nature offers, and she always seems to offer quite a range of weather.

Anyway at least you were out and about Chris ... I wonder what other readers think about these dark nights?

All the best Jan
    graham64

Male Posts : 2929

Post by graham64 on Wed Dec 02 2015, 20:53

@chris c wrote:Does anyone else find it hard to get motivated when it's dark for so long?

Bah, humbug . . .

Yep that'll be me Sad  it's not helped by the amount of rain rain  during the last few weeks making the days gloomy too

Proving the LowCarb sceptics wrong for over nine years,

Not all cherubs are Angels  Wink nor all diabetics Bonkers  Rolling Eyes
    chris c

Post by chris c on Thu Dec 03 2015, 20:20

Yes I think in winter I become solar powered. Whgen the days are short and especially dark I shift from "move slowly a lot, lift heavy things" to "move slowly a bit, put the kettle on".

I perk up a bit on sunny days but don't really "recover" until February or so when they days start to become noticeably longer again.

Jan, you reminded me a few years back I went for a walk over the fields about this time and there was a flush of wild roses in some hedges, and other "spring flowers", and in one ditch a whole bunch of primroses which don't usually come out until spring. Then last winter a load of rape which had been sown early burst into flower before Christmas and the farmers had to go round topping it. The cold and the dark are no longer as related as they were when I was young.
    chris c

Post by chris c on Wed Dec 09 2015, 20:59

Only a couple more weeks to go and it will start getting lighter again. I've been for a few short walks on various beaches and estuaries and other places and done some further hacking in the garden but motivation is at an all time low.

Could be worse, at least we aren't underwater.
    graham64

Post by graham64 on Wed Dec 09 2015, 21:27

I'm the same too and having to attend a funeral yesterday did not help, I'm just hoping for some nice crisp sunny winter days instead of all the rainy and overcast windy days of late

chris c

Post by chris c on Thu Dec 10 2015, 18:53

Oh, sympathies! Around the time my mother died (2010) so did a whole bunch of friends, neighbours and relatives thereof. At least they all missed that dire winter that followed.

Yeah I perk up whenever the sun comes out but it doesn't stay out for long, or long enough.

I gather you missed the worst of the floods, have you considered ringing the water board and asking if they want to buy some back off you?
    graham64

Post by graham64 on Thu Dec 10 2015, 22:40

@chris c wrote:Oh, sympathies! Around the time my mother died (2010) so did a whole bunch of friends, neighbours and relatives thereof. At least they all missed that dire winter that followed.

Yeah I perk up whenever the sun comes out but it doesn't stay out for long, or long enough.

I gather you missed the worst of the floods, have you considered ringing the water board and asking if they want to buy some back off you?

It's a sad fact of ageing Chris over the last few years many friends and relatives have passed away, my mum outlived all her siblings (four brothers) by a good few years but I still have an auntie and uncle on my dads side both in their 90s 

As far as flooding goes it's never a problem here that said the rain has been non stop for the last few days, don't think the water board will be interested in buying water off me since switching to a meter I'm saving nearly £400 per annum

chris c

Post by chris c on Sun Dec 13 2015, 17:06

When I was arranging my mother's funeral I discovered more dead people than live ones in her address book.
    graham64

Post by graham64 on Sun Dec 13 2015, 21:30

Much the same with my Mums address book and sadly mine too

chris c

Post by chris c on Mon Dec 14 2015, 18:43

Many of the ones I "lost" were in their eighties or more (one neighbour was 108 1/2, I don't recommend that) but one friend lost a daughter at 23 and another lost her mother at 51 (both cancer), another died of MS aged 71 and another went into a hone with advanced Alzheimers also in her seventies. I'm coming to the end of the road soon, ten years of low carbing haven't undone the damage of fifty years eating too many carbs and especially the low fat years. The sickener is that when I die it will be blamed on "not eating enough starch" or "too much fat" and the real cause will go unreported. I will just become more proof of the "harm of saturated fat" rather than the harm of incompetent doctors.

At least I finally found a good place to live, and to die - once they get here few people leave other than in a pine box.

Today I walked the beach at Southwold as the sun was setting. I tried to get as far as the harbour wall, but as with the fort at Aldeburgh after I'd walked for some while it wasn't getting any closer so I aborted the mission, pausing only to talk to some people and play with their dogs.

It's been so dull recently that I'm thinking about getting a white stick to find my way around at midday . . .
    chris c

Post by chris c on Fri Dec 18 2015, 19:59

I've been on some more walks on various beaches, mainly brief, hoping the sea breeze will blow some of the cobwebs out of my brain.

Time was when I used to start suffering from "seasonal affective disorder" AKA hibernation starting around september when they days started to become noticeably shorter.

Yet another thing greatly improved by low carbing - until this winter, at least I lasted until december before I began to fade.

Today I went to another nature reserve between Aldeburgh and Thorpeness. There were so many ducks (mainly wigeon) and geese (mainly barnacles and greylags) whirling around that it felt like being in the middle of a Peter Scott painting.

As it started to get dark the starlings arrived and there was a pretty decent murmuration, which at one stage split into two different groups, one to the north, one to the south.

On the way home I called into a village butcher I'd never used before, bought some excellent meat and had a good chat. They source their meat from the same local slaughterhouse/wholesaler as many other local outlets. I just stuffed my face with a kind of bolognese sauce covered in grated cheese and baked in the oven with purple sprouting broccoli.

Can someone please ping Paul? I find I not only no longer have the facility to add pictures or link to YouTube etc. but I am no longer able to post new topics. Have I done something to offend, or has the forum software somehow broken or been disabled?
    graham64

Post by graham64 on Fri Dec 18 2015, 21:13

@chris c wrote:Can someone please ping Paul? I find I not only no longer have the facility to add pictures or link to YouTube etc. but I am no longer able to post new topics. Have I done something to offend, or has the forum software somehow broken or been disabled?

I can assure you Chris you've done nothing to offend, maybe it was a glitch in the forum software could have been updating  Question I've had various problems in the past but they were short lived.

Will tag @Paul1976 for you to see if he can shed some light on your situation

Paul1976

Male Posts : 2433

Post by Paul1976 on Fri Dec 18 2015, 21:46

Hi Chris! I'll have a look into this for you in case a glitch has altered your account in any way-You've certainly not offended anyone. Smile

Post by graham64 on Fri Dec 18 2015, 21:57

@Paul1976 wrote:Hi Chris! I'll have a look into this for you in case a glitch has altered your account in any way-You've certainly not offended anyone. Smile

Not strictly true I think Chris may have offended some dietitians  Shocked

Paul1976

Post by Paul1976 on Fri Dec 18 2015, 22:11

@graham64 wrote:
    @Paul1976 wrote:Hi Chris! I'll have a look into this for you in case a glitch has altered your account in any way-You've certainly not offended anyone. Smile

Not strictly true I think Chris may have offended some dietitians  Shocked

Lol! True although that's worthy of a medal I reckon! Very Happy

Post by Paul1976 on Fri Dec 18 2015, 22:21

Hi Chris! I've gone over everything and it all seems in order so it could just have been a temporary gremlin but could you check something for me if the problem is persisting? Could you check your profile settings for me Profile>Preferences>Always allow BBCode and see if that the checkbox for that option is ticked for 'Yes' just like in my screenshot below.

Cheers

Paul

Post by chris c on Sun Dec 20 2015, 21:59

Bizarre, it all looks OK. More bizarre, it works in Opera, just not in Firefox. I use Ghostery and NoScript and even tried defeating them both but no change. Maybe Kaspersky has started blocking something, no I doubt it as Opera works fine.

Now I'm scratching my head trying to remember if this started when Firefox updated itself. It's since updated itself again but no change.

I'm finding a few sites that don't work in Firefox, mainly because they rely on third party trackers and stuff. Maybe it's become too secure to cope with the Modern Internet.

Makes me feel like some more insane Bulgarian music

chris c

Post by chris c on Sun Dec 20 2015, 22:07

Well that seems to have worked.

Spent part of the day in the garden again pulling things up and cutting them down. A wild rose that was too close to the back door and kept attacking me had to go, it was showing buds already, and my purple iris that don't normally come out until February are in flower too along with some Gazanias. Normally by now I'd have spread horseshit and my compost and spiked it in with a fork. That hasn't happened. Next job will involve the ratchet pruners. My shrubs had better be very afraid.
    Derek

Post by Derek on Tue Dec 22 2015, 11:47

Some sites don't work properly on Firefox because it doesn't trust flash player.
    D.
    Derek

Post by Derek on Tue Dec 22 2015, 17:31

Some people with your condition come on the Yahoo adrenal user group I am on.

Hope it all goes well for you with the doctor, malignancy is extremely rare with the adrenal glands.
    regards
    Derek

Current date/time is Thu Aug 24 2017, 00:08