THE LOW CARB DIABETIC

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
THE LOW CARB DIABETIC

Promoting a low carb high fat lifestyle for the safe control of diabetes. Eat whole fresh food, more drugs are not the answer.

Welcome to the Low Carb Diabetic forum,have you signed up yet? if not then sign up and join us in the low carb community today!

+2
Eddie
graham64
6 posters

Franziska Spritzle RD: Diabetes Medication Associated with Heart Disease in Women

graham64
    graham64

Male Posts : 3730

Franziska Spritzle RD: Diabetes Medication Associated with Heart Disease in Women Empty Franziska Spritzle RD: Diabetes Medication Associated with Heart Disease in Women

Post by graham64 Tue Sep 09 2014, 22:50

Last month, Diabetes Care, a journal of the American Diabetes Association, published an article linking sulfonylurea use to increased risk of cardiovascular disease in women. Sulfonylureas stimulate the pancreas to produce insulin and include glipizide (Glucotrol), glyburide (Micronase), and glimepiride (Amaryl) in the US, as well as gliclazide (Diamicron), available in Great Britain and Australia. Although many newer medications are receiving a lot of attention in the media, sulfonylureas remain among the most widely prescribed diabetes medications on the market. Dr. Steve Parker wrote a nice overview of sulfonylureas  a few years back.

A few pertinent facts about the study referenced above:
    It was a long-term study following 4900 women for more than 10 years as part of the Nurses' Health Study
    Researchers took into consideration confounding variables such as family history of CVD, smoking, duration of diabetes, etc.
    The association with coronary heart disease (CHD) increased with duration of sulfonylurea use

I find this quite concerning, but I've only read the abstract and would like to read the entire study before commenting further. (If anyone is willing to share the full text with me, it would be much appreciated.) However, the well-known side effects of sulfonylureas are precisely what I saw in many patients in my former position as an outpatient dietitian in a large hospital:

Read the full article at Franziska's blog:  http://www.lowcarbdietitian.com/blog/diabetes-medication-associated-with-heart-disease-in-women
    Eddie
    Eddie

Male Posts : 3807

Franziska Spritzle RD: Diabetes Medication Associated with Heart Disease in Women Empty Re: Franziska Spritzle RD: Diabetes Medication Associated with Heart Disease in Women

Post by Eddie Wed Sep 10 2014, 15:46

Not often you get to meet a hero. Franziska Spritzler, RD CDE.

Every now and again you meet a person that blows your brains out. In today’s jaded times, there are rare nuggets of gold in a world of spin and hype, such a person is Franziska Spritzler.  

Over the last few years our team has got to know a US Dietitian by the name of Franziska Spritzler, RD CDE. Franziska is one of the growing band of Dietitians that believes in a lowcarb lifestyle, as a very viable way to control weight and diabetes. Franziska, together with her husband visited the UK last year, and we met up in St. Albans. Jan and myself spent some time with Franziska and her husband, and had a wonderful time. She is truly a fantastic and lovely lady in every respect. Franziska is a hero to us, and works very hard for the lowcarb cause. Her clients and patients can count themselves very lucky. Franziska is not a diabetic and as you can see, is certainly not over weight, but she firmly believes a diet based on sugar/starch is not the way to a healthy life. Both of these ladies are lowcarbers !

Franziska Spritzle RD: Diabetes Medication Associated with Heart Disease in Women 1

BTW Franziska was 48 years of age when that photograph was taken and is doing very well on a low carb lifestyle, the other old bird is in her sixties and ain't doing too bad either I reckon. Smile

Regards Eddie
    LowCarbDietitian
    LowCarbDietitian

Female Posts : 12

Franziska Spritzle RD: Diabetes Medication Associated with Heart Disease in Women Empty Re: Franziska Spritzle RD: Diabetes Medication Associated with Heart Disease in Women

Post by LowCarbDietitian Wed Sep 10 2014, 16:30

Thank you so much, Graham and Eddie! I was only 46 when that photo was taken last summer, but I'll be 48 this November Wink

And I agree that Jan looks fabulous! She's also one of the loveliest women I've ever met. Very glad to know both of you Smile
    Jan1
    Jan1

Female Posts : 5094

Post by Jan1 Wed Sep 10 2014, 17:16

LowCarbDietitian wrote:Thank you so much, Graham and Eddie! I was only 46 when that photo was taken last summer, but I'll be 48 this November Wink  

And I agree that Jan looks fabulous! She's also one of the loveliest women I've ever met. Very glad to know both of you Smile

Thank you so much, sunny

And yes I am in my 60's and touch wood still doing well. Could it be something to do with Eddie keeping me busy whilst he gives out his orders lol!

Take Care everyone and ....

All the best Jan
    Jan1
    Jan1

Female Posts : 5094

Post by Jan1 Wed Sep 10 2014, 23:04

I know I am not a diabetic but as an individual who has a lot of contact with fellow diabetics if you haven't already been over to Franziska's blog and read her article I would certainly recommend it, especially if you are a woman reading this........and you will see that she finishes her article with these words,

"Since you're reading this, I hope you're someone who has benefitted from a low-carbohydrate lifestyle or would like to. The best that we can do is to continue speaking out and sharing our experiences, knowing that the evidence is on our side and at some point most health professionals will understand that carbohydrate restriction is the best and safest option."

Now, a lot of diabetics here know this and I think we must keep speaking out.

Just wondered if you agree and what your views may be ?

All the best Jan
    graham64
    graham64

Male Posts : 3730

Post by graham64 Thu Sep 11 2014, 23:19

LowCarbDietitian wrote:Thank you so much, Graham and Eddie! I was only 46 when that photo was taken last summer, but I'll be 48 this November Wink  

Hi Franziska, the study you highlighted is not the first time sulfonylureas have been under the spotlight for adverse side effects here's a couple more.

ADA: Sulfonylureas Along with TZDs May Increase Risk for Fractures in Diabetes

http://www.diabetesincontrol.com/articles/53-/16532-ada-sulfonylureas-along-with-tzds-may-increase-risk-for-fractures-in-diabetes

Sulfonylurea Use Increases All-Cause Mortality Risk

http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/811641

Cheers
    Graham
    LowCarbDietitian
    LowCarbDietitian

Female Posts : 12

Post by LowCarbDietitian Fri Sep 12 2014, 13:42

Thank you very much, Jan and Graham!
    Andy12345
    Andy12345

Male Posts : 1646

Post by Andy12345 Fri Sep 12 2014, 16:07

i love the fact that you look like your cartoon avatar Smile
    Andy12345
    Andy12345

Male Posts : 1646

Post by Andy12345 Fri Sep 12 2014, 16:07

i do too
    zand
    zand

Female Posts : 1940

Post by zand Fri Sep 12 2014, 16:11

Andy12345 wrote:i do too

lol yeh! I don't - I'll have to change mine one day

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Mar 28 2024, 08:31