THE LOW CARB DIABETIC

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
THE LOW CARB DIABETIC

Promoting a low carb high fat lifestyle for the safe control of diabetes. Eat whole fresh food, more drugs are not the answer.

Welcome to the Low Carb Diabetic forum,have you signed up yet? if not then sign up and join us in the low carb community today!

+2
Sally
graham64
6 posters

BDA alarmed by controversial and potentially dangerous advice in BBC’s ‘Doctor in the House’

graham64
    graham64

Male Posts : 3730

BDA alarmed by controversial and potentially dangerous advice in BBC’s ‘Doctor in the House’ Empty BDA alarmed by controversial and potentially dangerous advice in BBC’s ‘Doctor in the House’

Post by graham64 Fri Nov 20 2015, 21:26

On 19 November 2015, BBC aired the first episode of their new series, Doctor in the House. The British Dietetic Association were alarmed by some of the advice provided by the doctor to the family featured.

In the episode, all sources of carbohydrates for the person with diabetes were removed with emphasis placed on removing dairy and wheat containing foods. This along with suggesting that the 5-a-Day for the individual came from vegetables only, avoiding fruit completely, whilst also promoting time-restricted eating / fasting.

“This advice is potentially dangerous with possible adverse side effects. Not only is there limited evidence around carbohydrate elimination and time-restricted eating for those with diabetes, but cutting out food groups and fasting could lead to nutrition problems including nutrient deficiencies and adversely affect their blood sugar control, particularly in individuals taking certain medications or insulin,” said Dr Duane Mellor PhD and registered dietitian.  
    “Whilst reducing refined carbohydrates and sugar intake is definitely a positive, many of the other recommendations lack evidence from scientific research base. People living with diabetes watching the programme are advised to stick with their current treatment and discuss any changes with their diabetes team, which can include a consultant or GP, dietitian and Diabetes Nurse.”

According to Diabetes UK guidelines, everyone with diabetes should receive individual and ongoing dietary and nutrition advice from a dietitian. The television show did not appear to use a dietitian to assist with the dietary advice, and whilst doctors are highly qualified professionals, dietitians are the only qualified health professionals that specifically assess, diagnose and treat diet and nutrition problems at an individual and wider public health level. Uniquely, dietitians use the most up-to-date public health and scientific research on food, health and disease, which they translate into practical guidance to enable people to make appropriate lifestyle and food choices.

For more credible dietary guidance for diabetics, please visit the BDA’s FREE resource, Food Fact Sheets. There is a Fact sheet specifically for Diabetes Type 1 as well as Diabetes Type 2.

=news/list]https://www.bda.uk.com/news/view?id=89&x[0]=news/list

And as a diabetic I am alarmed by controversial and potentially dangerous advice from the BDA  Evil or Very Mad

A bit of a primer for the BBC Doctor in the House series on breakfast TV

Dr. Rangan Chatterjee Shakes Up Type 2 Diabetes Treatment On Breakfast TV
    Sally
    Sally

BDA alarmed by controversial and potentially dangerous advice in BBC’s ‘Doctor in the House’ Empty Re: BDA alarmed by controversial and potentially dangerous advice in BBC’s ‘Doctor in the House’

Post by Sally Fri Nov 20 2015, 22:29

Graham wrote: "And as a diabetic I am alarmed by controversial and potentially dangerous advice from the BDA" Evil or Very Mad

Couldn't agree more. Just watched the programme on iPlayer, haven't seen more life saving good sense on broadcast media, on the subject of diabetes,before.
    Sally
    graham64
    graham64

BDA alarmed by controversial and potentially dangerous advice in BBC’s ‘Doctor in the House’ Empty Re: BDA alarmed by controversial and potentially dangerous advice in BBC’s ‘Doctor in the House’

Post by graham64 Fri Nov 20 2015, 22:54

Sally wrote:Graham wrote:  "And as a diabetic I am alarmed by controversial and potentially dangerous advice from the BDA"  Evil or Very Mad

Couldn't agree more.  Just watched the programme on iPlayer, haven't seen more life saving good sense on broadcast media, on the subject of diabetes,before.  
    Sally

Agreed I only caught up with it this evening and Dr. Chatterjee was a revelation as another one prepared to stick his head above the parapet, we obviously know the benefits of restricting carbs with this programme going out on the BBC hopefully other diabetics (and HCPs) will realise there is an alternative to the prescribed eatwell plate healthy diet Rolling Eyes
    Wobblycogs
    Wobblycogs

Male Posts : 98

Post by Wobblycogs Sat Nov 21 2015, 10:06

I quote “This advice is potentially dangerous with possible adverse side effects. Not only is there limited evidence around carbohydrate elimination and time-restricted eating for those with diabetes, but cutting out food groups and fasting could lead to nutrition problems including nutrient deficiencies and adversely affect their blood sugar control, particularly in individuals taking certain medications or insulin,” said Dr Duane Mellor PhD and registered dietitian.  
    “Whilst reducing refined carbohydrates and sugar intake is definitely a positive, many of the other recommendations lack evidence from scientific research base. People living with diabetes watching the programme are advised to stick with their current treatment and discuss any changes with their diabetes team, which can include a consultant or GP, dietitian and Diabetes Nurse.” Unquote

For how much longer are these 'experts' going to bury their heads in the sand? Even given the evidence of how well that man looked after his treatment, they still want to champion carbs, and blame fat for obesity. And for their information, in case they didn't get it first time; Dr. Chattergee is a qualified GP who has obviously studied the problem; as such he should be considered a consultant on the subject.

This merely shows what a stranglehold the grain industry has on the economy, and on the NHS too. Unbelievable. If these people want to have a go at bad advice, shake up some of these TV celebrity chefs,  and educate them.  

And for Louise Minchin, this isn't a 'concept' Louise. It's a life-style change to a proper diet. Natural, fresh food. It's so simple, it seems to slip most people by. Or is it that the processed food 'industry' doesn't want us to prepare our own food from fresh produce? Hmmm! Maybe so! Cool

Good on you Dr, Chattergee, More power to your elbow.  agree
    Eddie
    Eddie

Male Posts : 3807

Post by Eddie Sat Nov 21 2015, 10:44

While the so called diabetes and dietary experts go into panic and damage limitation mode, this is what DUK the BDA and the standard NHS advice has achieved.

Results for England. The National Diabetes Audit 2010-2011

Percentage of registered Type 1 patients in England

HbA1c >= 6.5% (48 mmol/mol) = 92.6%
    HbA1c >   7.5% (58 mmol/mol) = 71.3%
    HbA1c > 10.0% (86 mmol/mol) = 18.1%

Percentage of registered Type 2 patients in England

HbA1c >= 6.5% (48 mmol/mol = 72.5%
    HbA1c > 7.5% (58 mmol/mol) = 32.6%
    HbA1c >10.0% (86 mmol/mol) = 6.8%

These results are very similar to those obtained in previous NHS audits over the past 5 - 6 years.

Information from here.

http://www.hscic.gov.uk/catalogue/PUB06325/nati-diab-audi-10-11-care-proc-rep-V4.pdf

The situation has got worse. As we know more and more people are being diagnosed every day of the week. Yet still the "experts" hang onto outdated utterly failed methods of diabetes control. Not only that they rubbish at every opportunity methods that are turning peoples lives around, most on reduced or no medication. It is worth checking who funds DUK and the BDA.

DUK The diabetes charity.

Abbott Bayer Boehringer Ingelheim Bristol Myers Squibb Bupa Bunzl Everyclick First Capital Connect Flora pro.activ Kodak Lilly Lloyds Pharmacy Menarini Merck Serono Morphy Richards Merck Sharp & Dohme Limited Novartis Novo Nordisk Nursing Times PAL Technologies Ltd Pfizer Rowlands Pharmacies Sanofi-aventis SplendaTakeda Tesco Diets

The BDA receive funds from at least three junk food companies. The Chair person of the BDA admitted to me publicly some months ago they have no dietary advice of their own for diabetics, they just follow DUK as can be evidenced here.

http://thelowcarbdiabetic.blogspot.co.uk/2015/04/british-dietetic-association.html

From the link above.

"So, we have the BDA the organisation of experts on diet, but with no recommendations of their own, passing the buck to DUK. It's my opinion this is a very sad state of affairs, when the one professional organisation that should be leading the fight against type two diabetes and it's often linked obesity, has no dietary information to offer type two diabetics, and relies on a charity whose members are mostly volunteer amateurs. BTW after my tweets to Catherine re. the eat-well plate and "ideal" BG numbers, she blocked me from her twitter account. That seems to be the standard modus operandi from a BDA dietitian when you ask a straight question. I suspect it will ever be thus."
    Wobblycogs
    Wobblycogs

Post by Wobblycogs Sat Nov 21 2015, 10:56

I think the problem is that obesity is linked with diabetes, and the 'experts' seem to jump on obesity as being the cause of Type 2 (Esp). Maybe this is so they can lay the blame at the patient's door.

The way I see it is the other way around. Obesity is caused by the Type 2. That is if insulin really does lead to the deposit of fat in the body; and I believe that is correct. And the insulin responses are due to the starchy, sugary foods we eat. Some people are lucky and never contract Type 2. Others of us do. (Which begs the question is there a genetic flaw somewhere?) Either way, eating sugary, starchy foods causes obesity and Type 2; although not necessarily together. popcorn

Oh I give up. I am bound to be laughed at by the experts! Suspect No
    Eddie
    Eddie

Post by Eddie Sat Nov 21 2015, 11:04

Wobblycogs wrote:I think the problem is that obesity is linked with diabetes,  and the 'experts' seem to jump on obesity as being the cause of Type 2 (Esp). Maybe this is so they can lay the blame at the patient's door.

The way I see it is the other way around. Obesity is  caused by the Type 2. That is if insulin really does lead to the deposit of fat in the body; and I believe that is correct. And the insulin responses are due to the starchy, sugary foods we eat. Some people are lucky and never contract Type 2. Others of us do. (Which begs the question is there a genetic flaw somewhere?) Either way, eating sugary, starchy foods causes obesity and Type 2; although not necessarily together. popcorn

Oh I give up. I am bound to be laughed at by the experts! Suspect  No

Too right Wobbly

Now, us type two diabetics are labelled as fat and lazy by the media, who brought type two diabetes on ourselves. The most obese group of people on the planet are Sumo wrestlers, how many are type two diabetics ? Almost none, some are insulin resistant.

The leanest people on the planet suffer from Berardinelli-Seip Congenital Lipodystrophy, a very rare condition, these poor souls have no fat cells and cannot put on weight. How many are type two diabetics ? All, every single person.

More to type two diabetes than being overweight eh ! We are told that a very large percentage of the UK population are over weight and millions obese, the fact is many of these people are not diabetics and probably never will be. I won't go on about the millions type two diabetics in the world who have never been over weight in their lives.
    Wobblycogs
    Wobblycogs

Post by Wobblycogs Sat Nov 21 2015, 11:28

When I finally reach my target weight of 13 stones, I will know if my Type 2 is under control.

I certainly believe my legs will benefit from it, my arthritis will be thing of the past; or at least not nearly so troublesome, and my hypertension will be history!
    popcorn No
    chris c
    chris c

Post by chris c Sat Nov 21 2015, 22:04

I never put on weight until AFTER I met a dietician.

My podiatrist was raving about this programme today while pruning my toenails, she's a confirmed low carber. If it's repeated I'll try to watch it. The BDA are a disgrace and I wouldn't believe an NHS dietician if she told me the sky was blue.
    graham64
    graham64

Post by graham64 Sun Nov 22 2015, 21:51

This appears to be the science behind the BDA type 2 diet advice they must have enlisted the help of that eminent nutrition expert Professor Bonkers  facepalm

Reduce your portion sizes to help you reduce and
    maintain a healthy weight. A portion is:
    • a fist size of carbohydrate
    • a palm size of meat/fish or poultry
    • two handfuls of vegetables or salad
    • a cupped-handful of fruit
    • top of your thumb size of oil or fat spread.
    Try:
    • using a smaller plate
    • filling half of your plate with veg

On the subject of the eatwell plate which is pictured on the BDA web page the percentages of the five food groups portrayed

Fruit and vegetables: 33%
    Bread, rice, potatoes pasta and other starchy foods: 33%
    Milk and other dairy products : 15%
    Meat, fish, egg, beans and other non-diary sources of protein: 12%
    Foods and drinks high in fat or sugar: 7%
    Wobblycogs
    Wobblycogs

Post by Wobblycogs Sun Nov 22 2015, 22:07

graham64 wrote:This appears to be the science behind the BDA type 2 diet advice they must have enlisted the help of that eminent nutrition expert Professor Bonkers  facepalm

Try:
    • using a smaller plate

On the subject of the eatwell plate which is pictured on the BDA web page the percentages of the five food groups portrayed

\

I am unable to think of anything to say; so....

rofl
    Paul1976
    Paul1976

Male Posts : 2439

Post by Paul1976 Sun Nov 22 2015, 22:16

Wobblycogs wrote:
    graham64 wrote:This appears to be the science behind the BDA type 2 diet advice they must have enlisted the help of that eminent nutrition expert Professor Bonkers  facepalm

Try:
    • using a smaller plate

\

I am unable to think of anything to say; so....

rofl

My sentiments exactly wobbly! You really couldn't make this up-I reckon a thousand monkeys with a thousand typewriters could come up with something more credible than this from the BDA! jimlad
    Wobblycogs
    Wobblycogs

Post by Wobblycogs Sun Nov 22 2015, 22:29

Do they really believe this nonsense any more? And if they don't believe it, then they are peddling false information and it's criminal. I had to laugh, or I'd have cried. It angers me so. Twisted Evil

Wobbly thumb-up
    Eddie
    Eddie

Post by Eddie Sun Nov 22 2015, 22:40

Wobblycogs wrote:Do they really believe this nonsense any more? And if they don't believe it, then they are peddling false information and it's criminal. I had to laugh, or I'd have cried. It angers me so. Twisted Evil

Wobbly thumb-up

As you can see I have been having a debate today with a Dr. who is also a registered dietitian. Not one ounce of contrition from the person, not one admission the BDA have got anything wrong.

BDA alarmed by controversial and potentially dangerous advice in BBC’s ‘Doctor in the House’ BDA%2Bdebate

Screen shot from here.

https://twitter.com/lowcarbdiabetic/with_replies
    Wobblycogs
    Wobblycogs

Post by Wobblycogs Mon Nov 23 2015, 05:46

How do they sleep at night? I don't do Twitter Eddie, but I would tell them they are messing with lives... I wonder who will be first to take them to Court?

BBC are as bad. Every Sunday afternoon, Greg Wallace is organising everyone's shopping basket, and pushing the low fat mantra for all it's worth!
    Eddie
    Eddie

Post by Eddie Mon Nov 23 2015, 15:59

Greg Wallace is full of BS he loves butter.

Wobblycogs
    Wobblycogs

Post by Wobblycogs Mon Nov 23 2015, 19:01

Now they are making a bit of sense. Clever video skills, whoever edited that! clap
    chris c
    chris c

Post by chris c Mon Nov 23 2015, 22:17

The programme is being repeated tonight, I have my recorder set. Expect an elite hit squad of dieticians to blow up Dr Chatterjee just after they finish off Aseem Malhotra. That's if they can afford enough lycra for their jumpsuits. Jeesh, the vision of dieticians in lycra makes me want to lie down in a darkened room for a while.
    graham64
    graham64

Post by graham64 Mon Nov 23 2015, 22:29

chris c wrote:The programme is being repeated tonight, I have my recorder set. Expect an elite hit squad of dieticians to blow up Dr Chatterjee just after they finish off Aseem Malhotra. That's if they can afford enough lycra for their jumpsuits. Jeesh, the vision of dieticians in lycra makes me want to lie down in a darkened room for a while.

After seeing this dietitian yes a darkened room seems appropriate Cardiff Nutrition Consultancy  runforhills
    chris c
    chris c

Post by chris c Mon Nov 23 2015, 23:15

I'm surprised she hasn't been seen on the Flog for a while. She used to be a regular (in the same sense as a daily turd) on John Briffa's blog among others.
    Eddie
    Eddie

Post by Eddie Mon Nov 23 2015, 23:54

graham64 wrote:
    chris c wrote:The programme is being repeated tonight, I have my recorder set. Expect an elite hit squad of dieticians to blow up Dr Chatterjee just after they finish off Aseem Malhotra. That's if they can afford enough lycra for their jumpsuits. Jeesh, the vision of dieticians in lycra makes me want to lie down in a darkened room for a while.

After seeing this dietitian yes a darkened room seems appropriate Cardiff Nutrition Consultancy  runforhills

affraid I had forgotten about the resident dietitian aka sister scurvy, for at least two hours. affraid
    Wobblycogs
    Wobblycogs

Post by Wobblycogs Tue Nov 24 2015, 06:19

I seem to be 'behindhand', as they say in Glorious Devon. I don't know what 'flog' refers to (Other than reversed golf!) nor do I know about Sister Scurvy... Is she some kind of fruit nut? Very Happy
    Eddie
    Eddie

Post by Eddie Tue Nov 24 2015, 19:25

Wobblycogs wrote:I seem to be 'behindhand', as they say in Glorious Devon. I don't know what 'flog' refers to  (Other than reversed golf!) nor do I know about Sister Scurvy... Is she some kind of fruit nut? Very Happy

Hi Wobbly the flog is the diabetes.co.uk forum because they never stop trying to sell stuff to the members and gathering members private information to do deals with big pharma. Sister scurvy is a dietitian that stalked the low carbers morning noon and night with tales of doom, until our low carb diabetic blog outed her real identity. Then she done the off.

Doctor Katharine Morrison summed the situation up so succinctly, in her post to the dietitian. Katharine is a GP and low carb expert, an ex flog mod who walked because of all the grief at the flog from the low carb antis and other dullards.

November 13th, 2008, 7:45 am at the flog.

"I think there would be a lot less hostility towards you Ally if you actually gave constructive advice to people. Many diabetics have not had a positive relationship with NHS dieticians, myself included. A few have had their problems listened to and appropriately addressed and I hope the situation will continue to improve.

I have yet to see a post from you which is written with the aim of helping someone get better control of their diabetes or improve their nutritional state. So far I have simply seen one post after another of the "Do not try this at home variety." None of your negative comments regarding low carbing have been substantiated by scientific evidence. I am patiently waiting for your scientifically based expose of the errors of Dr Bernstein's method and Gary Taubes collection of evidence. All we have got so far is personal opinion."

graham64
    graham64

Post by graham64 Tue Nov 24 2015, 21:37

Wobblycogs wrote:I seem to be 'behindhand', as they say in Glorious Devon. I don't know what 'flog' refers to  (Other than reversed golf!) nor do I know about Sister Scurvy... Is she some kind of fruit nut? Very Happy

Sister Scurvy was  given that title after claiming that low carbing would lead to scurvy  bitenails she also said it could put us at risk of Osteoporosis  bitenails bitenails

This is just one of her post's 

"What do you miss from carbs - fibre ( that seems to be why constipation is a problem) folic acid and vit C ( pots) or and seratonin  which increase from carb consumption and makes you happy - that might account for the loss of a sense of humour in alot of low carbers ………”.

So there you have without spuds we must be lacking folic acid, Vitamin C and serotonin, given that's she's an RD who had aspirations of being the chair of the BDA the above does not inspire confidence in the ability of dietitians to advise on diet for us diabetics  Sad
    chris c
    chris c

Post by chris c Tue Nov 24 2015, 22:19

Seen this?

what a dietician eats

I can't open it in Firefox, it's alive with tracking cookies and stuff, but it works in Opera.

What I NEVER understood about Sister Scurvy was that in all the years she trolled DCUK not a single person EVER came down with any of the complications she claimed were inevitable. Meanwhile just about everyone seriously improved their health in ways she believed were impossible. My neighbour's cat is more observant.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue Mar 19 2024, 03:38