THE LOW CARB DIABETIC

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
THE LOW CARB DIABETIC

Promoting a low carb high fat lifestyle for the safe control of diabetes. Eat whole fresh food, more drugs are not the answer.

Welcome to the Low Carb Diabetic forum,have you signed up yet? if not then sign up and join us in the low carb community today!

2 posters

Diabetes diagnosis rates increase 65% since 2005

graham64
    graham64

Male Posts : 3730

Diabetes diagnosis rates increase 65% since 2005 Empty Diabetes diagnosis rates increase 65% since 2005

Post by graham64 Mon Nov 16 2015, 23:29

The number of adults diagnosed with diabetes in the UK has increased by 65% since 2005 and by 3.5% in the past year, according to new research from the British Heart Foundation (BHF).

Having diabetes significantly increases a person’s risk of cardiovascular disease, which includes an increased risk of a heart attack or stroke and of losing limbs because of poor circulation.

Nearly 3.5 million UK adults have been diagnosed with diabetes according to new GP patient data for 2014/15. This figure is up from 3.3 million last year and two million in 2004/05.

Professor Peter Weissberg, Medical Director at the British Heart Foundation, said: “Diabetes is a major risk factor for cardiovascular disease. Up to four million adults in the UK have diabetes so treatments are urgently needed that can help prevent them suffering a deadly or disabling heart attack or stroke.”

The charity also announced that they will be investing £3 million into diabetes research.

Feebee Cox, aged 43 from Warwick, was diagnosed with type 2 diabetes in 2013 and tried to manage her condition through lifestyle changes but found that she still needed medication. Her partner Lawrence was also diagnosed with type 2 diabetes and has had two heart attacks.

Cox said: “It’s scary to think how much more likely I am to have a heart attack because of diabetes. Since my diagnosis I’ve changed my diet and keep active through walking and regularly visiting the gym.  It really helps that Lawrence and I can support each other on this journey. But I still need to take medicines to manage my condition and any new treatments that can be discovered to further reduce my risk of a heart problem would be hugely comforting.”

http://www.managementinpractice.com/editors-pick/diabetes-diagnosis-rates-increase-65-2005?

chris c
    chris c

Diabetes diagnosis rates increase 65% since 2005 Empty Re: Diabetes diagnosis rates increase 65% since 2005

Post by chris c Tue Nov 17 2015, 20:36

What's the betting that absolutely none of that £3 million will go into low carb research? Let alone provide an RCT for Test Test Test which to my knowledge was first documented as "Jennifer's Advice" in 2002.

Their sponsors

Strange, a whole bunch of drug companies and low fat food manufacturers are no longer listed.
    graham64
    graham64

Male Posts : 3730

Diabetes diagnosis rates increase 65% since 2005 Empty Re: Diabetes diagnosis rates increase 65% since 2005

Post by graham64 Tue Nov 17 2015, 22:15

This big increase in diabetes must be down to the fact people were not adhering to the low fat healthy diet 

Hang on a minute that's not right  Shocked it should have read people were adhering to the low fat diet
    chris c
    chris c

Post by chris c Thu Nov 19 2015, 21:08

Yes I wonder how much longer they can go on adhering to the "you're not following the diet" excuse.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Mar 28 2024, 21:13