The Low Carb Diabetic

Promoting a low carb high fat lifestyle for the safe control of diabetes. Eat whole fresh food, more drugs are not the answer.


Welcome to the Low Carb Diabetic forum,have you signed up yet? if not then sign up and join us in the low carb community today!

    Food we all have a choice whole fresh food or junk

    Share
    avatar
    Eddie
    Member

    Status :
    Online
    Offline

    Male Posts : 3768
    Join date : 2014-08-13
    Age : 67
    Location : London

    Food we all have a choice whole fresh food or junk

    Post by Eddie on Fri Sep 05 2014, 20:02

    Home cooked fresh chicken in a creamy mushroom sauce


    Ingredients

    Chicken, mushrooms, cream, onions, flour, herbs, salt, pepper
    Full instructions and Low carb recipe can be found here


    Failed science experiment made in factory



    Ingredients

    NOODLES , Noodles (47%), [Wheat Flour, Vegetable Oil, Salt, Firming Agents (Potassium Carbonate,, Sodium Carbonate)], SAUCE AND VEGETABLES, Water, Vegetables (4.8%) (Mushroom (1.6%), Onions, Sweetcorn), Dried Glucose Syrup, Wheat Flour, Soya Pieces (Texturised) (2.9%), Skimmed Milk, Herbs, Flavourings (contain gluten, milk), Potassium Chloride, Flavour Enhancer (Monosodium Glutamate, Disodium 5'- ribonucleotides, Sugar, Vegetable Oil, Yeast Extract, Salt, Colour (Turmeric Extract), Citric Acid, SACHET, Soy Sauce (1.5%) (water, soy beans, wheat flour, salt, sugar, Acetic Acid).

    Carbs per pot 60.7 grams prepared

    Regards Eddie


    _________________
    Type two diabetic-low carb diet (50 carbs per day) and two 500mg Metformin pills per day. Apart from diagnosis HbA1c almost 12-all HbA1c results none diabetic. For over eight years my diabetes medication has not changed. My weight has remained stable, I have suffered no ill effects from my diet whatsoever. Every blood test has proved, I took the right road to my diabetic salvation. For almost seven years, I have asked medical professionals and naysayers, how do I maintain non diabetic BG levels on two Metformin other than low carb ? The silence has been deafening !
    avatar
    zand
    Member

    Status :
    Online
    Offline

    Female Posts : 1940
    Join date : 2014-08-14

    Re: Food we all have a choice whole fresh food or junk

    Post by zand on Fri Sep 05 2014, 20:07

    So the 'chicken' in the pot noodle is soya?
    avatar
    Eddie
    Member

    Status :
    Online
    Offline

    Male Posts : 3768
    Join date : 2014-08-13
    Age : 67
    Location : London

    Re: Food we all have a choice whole fresh food or junk

    Post by Eddie on Fri Sep 05 2014, 20:21

    That's correct they say this goo is chicken flavoured "Noodles in a chicken and mushroom flavour sauce, with soya pieces, vegetables and a little sachet of soy sauce"

    Information here http://www.ocado.com/webshop/product/Pot-Noodle-Chicken--Mushroom/36114011

    How can anyone believe this is a healthy meal for anyone, let alone a diabetic ? It contains more carbs than many of us on this forum eat in a day.

    Regards Eddie


    _________________
    Type two diabetic-low carb diet (50 carbs per day) and two 500mg Metformin pills per day. Apart from diagnosis HbA1c almost 12-all HbA1c results none diabetic. For over eight years my diabetes medication has not changed. My weight has remained stable, I have suffered no ill effects from my diet whatsoever. Every blood test has proved, I took the right road to my diabetic salvation. For almost seven years, I have asked medical professionals and naysayers, how do I maintain non diabetic BG levels on two Metformin other than low carb ? The silence has been deafening !
    avatar
    zand
    Member

    Status :
    Online
    Offline

    Female Posts : 1940
    Join date : 2014-08-14

    Re: Food we all have a choice whole fresh food or junk

    Post by zand on Fri Sep 05 2014, 20:31

    Yes I've had a 'bad' day today and have eaten around that amount of carbs in total.
    avatar
    Paul1976
    Moderator

    Status :
    Online
    Offline

    Male Posts : 2434
    Join date : 2014-08-12
    Age : 41
    Location : East midlands,UK

    Re: Food we all have a choice whole fresh food or junk

    Post by Paul1976 on Fri Sep 05 2014, 20:33

    60 odd grams of carbs a go and for what?!! Frankenfood at it's worst-tastless watery junk which would no doubt put your BG's in the teens or maybe worse whilst leaving you hungry and extremely lethargic!!

    But hey,we are all different eh?!! tsk...


    _________________
    Illegitimi non carborundum

    cold ethyl
    Member

    Status :
    Online
    Offline

    Posts : 78
    Join date : 2014-08-14

    Re: Food we all have a choice whole fresh food or junk

    Post by cold ethyl on Fri Sep 05 2014, 20:40

    I used to have one of those for my lunch when I was in sixth form many many years ago as all we had was a kettle. I could no more put one in my mouth again than I could wade out into shark infested waters. I understand that at times we all might have to stray from the path of carb righteousness but why a Pot Noodle? You could have a cheese and salad sandwich in Burgen soy and linseed bread and a small piece of fruit for less than that and I know which one I'd choose.
    avatar
    Eddie
    Member

    Status :
    Online
    Offline

    Male Posts : 3768
    Join date : 2014-08-13
    Age : 67
    Location : London

    Re: Food we all have a choice whole fresh food or junk

    Post by Eddie on Fri Sep 05 2014, 20:43

    On some forums this sort of junk gets a round of applause and approval from long term diabetics.

    "The whole ethos of the forum is to support one-another through the good times and bad, the majority of us are pleased when someone finds a diet that works for them and produces the desired effect."

    "the majority of us are pleased when someone finds a diet that works for them"

    Let's face it we are all different eh, as the low carb antis love to tell us ad nauseum.

    Regards Eddie


    _________________
    Type two diabetic-low carb diet (50 carbs per day) and two 500mg Metformin pills per day. Apart from diagnosis HbA1c almost 12-all HbA1c results none diabetic. For over eight years my diabetes medication has not changed. My weight has remained stable, I have suffered no ill effects from my diet whatsoever. Every blood test has proved, I took the right road to my diabetic salvation. For almost seven years, I have asked medical professionals and naysayers, how do I maintain non diabetic BG levels on two Metformin other than low carb ? The silence has been deafening !

    cold ethyl
    Member

    Status :
    Online
    Offline

    Posts : 78
    Join date : 2014-08-14

    Re: Food we all have a choice whole fresh food or junk

    Post by cold ethyl on Fri Sep 05 2014, 20:57

    As I've said before I have no problem with folk eating a higher level of carbs than I might choose to, but given the world of tasty healthy carbs out there why the likes of pot noodles and pies get a round of applause. Surely a banana would be a better option for diving given that it is the food of choice of athletes - not seen many of them forking a pork pie pot noodle combo down.
    avatar
    graham64
    Member

    Status :
    Online
    Offline

    Male Posts : 3079
    Join date : 2014-08-10
    Location : Lancs

    Re: Food we all have a choice whole fresh food or junk

    Post by graham64 on Sat Sep 06 2014, 00:09

    @cold ethyl wrote:As I've said before  I have no problem with folk eating a higher level of carbs than I might choose to, but given the world of tasty healthy carbs out there why the likes of pot noodles and pies get a round of applause. Surely a banana would be a better option for diving given that it is the food of choice of athletes - not seen many of them forking a pork pie pot noodle combo down.

    Pot noodles are hardly something a health conscious person would contemplate eating especially when diving:

    Instant Noodles Increase Risk Of Heart Disease, Diabetes and Stroke

    http://www.hngn.com/articles/38940/20140813/instant-noodles-increase-risk-heart-disease-diabetes-stroke.htm


    _________________
    I'm a skinny T2 diagnosed 4/4/2008, a high calorie LCHF diet and one metformin a day A1c 6.2 and no complications.

    Proving the LowCarb sceptics wrong for over nine years,

    Not all cherubs are Angels  Wink nor all diabetics Bonkers  Rolling Eyes
    avatar
    zand
    Member

    Status :
    Online
    Offline

    Female Posts : 1940
    Join date : 2014-08-14

    Re: Food we all have a choice whole fresh food or junk

    Post by zand on Sat Sep 06 2014, 07:48

    @graham64 wrote:
    @cold ethyl wrote:As I've said before  I have no problem with folk eating a higher level of carbs than I might choose to, but given the world of tasty healthy carbs out there why the likes of pot noodles and pies get a round of applause. Surely a banana would be a better option for diving given that it is the food of choice of athletes - not seen many of them forking a pork pie pot noodle combo down.

    Pot noodles are hardly something a health conscious person would contemplate eating especially when diving:

    Instant Noodles Increase Risk Of Heart Disease, Diabetes and Stroke

    http://www.hngn.com/articles/38940/20140813/instant-noodles-increase-risk-heart-disease-diabetes-stroke.htm

    That's interesting Graham. Whilst never having eaten a whole pot noodle (I tried one once but didn't like it) I used to have a terrible diet which I have gradually changed over the last ten years. This eventually led me to LCHF. My diet used to be high in MSG and the article you quote says that this can cause liver, kidney, heart and immune system problems. I've had problems in all those areas. My kidneys and heart are now fine. I still have a fatty liver but my ALT level has fallen from a high of 156 to 51 (still not in normal range but getting there). My immune system is a lot stronger. One Winter several years ago I caught 7 viruses in as many months. I had a chest infection with each one. Earlier this year my family all had a heavy cold and I didn't even catch it from them, despite the fact that they were constantly coughing and sneezing near me.

    So thanks for the link, it shows that a healthy diet does more than just keeping the BG's down.
    avatar
    Scandichic
    Member

    Status :
    Online
    Offline

    Female Posts : 109
    Join date : 2014-08-14
    Age : 47
    Location : Hampshire

    Re: Food we all have a choice whole fresh food or junk

    Post by Scandichic on Sat Sep 06 2014, 09:00

    eddie1 wrote:
    Home cooked fresh chicken in a creamy mushroom sauce


    Ingredients

    Chicken, mushrooms, cream, onions, flour, herbs, salt, pepper
    Full instructions and Low carb recipe can be found here


    Failed science experiment made in factory



    Ingredients

    NOODLES , Noodles (47%), [Wheat Flour, Vegetable Oil, Salt, Firming Agents (Potassium Carbonate,, Sodium Carbonate)], SAUCE AND VEGETABLES, Water, Vegetables (4.8%) (Mushroom (1.6%), Onions, Sweetcorn), Dried Glucose Syrup, Wheat Flour, Soya Pieces (Texturised) (2.9%), Skimmed Milk, Herbs, Flavourings (contain gluten, milk), Potassium Chloride, Flavour Enhancer (Monosodium Glutamate, Disodium 5'- ribonucleotides, Sugar, Vegetable Oil, Yeast Extract, Salt, Colour (Turmeric Extract), Citric Acid, SACHET, Soy Sauce (1.5%) (water, soy beans, wheat flour, salt, sugar, Acetic Acid).

    Carbs per pot 60.7 grams prepared

    Regards Eddie
    Yuck! Only ever had one once. Given one in part of fresher pack at uni when I was 18. It was the most revolting thing I've eaten!
    avatar
    Avocado Sevenfold
    Member

    Status :
    Online
    Offline

    Female Posts : 258
    Join date : 2014-08-14
    Location : Glasgow

    Re: Food we all have a choice whole fresh food or junk

    Post by Avocado Sevenfold on Sat Sep 06 2014, 10:43

    @cold ethyl wrote:I used to have one of those for my lunch when I was in sixth form many many years ago as all we had was a kettle. I could no more put one in my mouth again than I could wade out into shark infested waters. I understand that at times we all might have to stray from the path of carb righteousness but why a Pot Noodle? You could have a cheese and salad sandwich in Burgen soy and linseed bread and a small piece of fruit for less than that and I know which one I'd choose.

    "...but why a pot noodle?"

    From wiki: "A 2004 survey suggested that Pot Noodle was the single most loathed brand in Britain". I reckon it adds to the wind up Rolling Eyes

    When they first came out, I used to eat the curry flavoured one on a Friday night while watching Monkey on the telly. Funny the things you remember pig (no Monkey smiley so here's Pigsy)
    avatar
    Andy12345
    Member

    Status :
    Online
    Offline

    Male Posts : 1637
    Join date : 2014-08-14
    Age : 47
    Location : Surrey

    Re: Food we all have a choice whole fresh food or junk

    Post by Andy12345 on Sat Sep 06 2014, 11:03

    omg, i loved monkey!!!

    cold ethyl
    Member

    Status :
    Online
    Offline

    Posts : 78
    Join date : 2014-08-14

    Re: Food we all have a choice whole fresh food or junk

    Post by cold ethyl on Sat Sep 06 2014, 11:21

    Monkey!!! Loved that. And The Water Margin. Though I never ate a pot noodle or pot rice along to either.
    I'm sure it is part of the wind up as surely no one with even half a brain cell would be advocating them as food no matter how dire the emergency. I keep thinking of all the nice crab things you could have if you really thought you needed them. I'm sure a bacon and sausage bun can be had from the chandler's cafe on our quayside and I'd rather fur my arteries up with real grub ( if you believe the anti fat brigade ) than a chemical concoction.
    avatar
    zand
    Member

    Status :
    Online
    Offline

    Female Posts : 1940
    Join date : 2014-08-14

    Re: Food we all have a choice whole fresh food or junk

    Post by zand on Sat Sep 06 2014, 11:35

    @cold ethyl wrote:Monkey!!! Loved that. And The Water Margin. Though I never ate a pot noodle or pot rice along to either.
    I'm sure it is part of the wind up as surely no one with even half a brain cell would be advocating them as food no matter how dire the emergency. I keep thinking of all the nice crab things you could have if you really thought you needed them. I'm sure a bacon and sausage bun can be had from the chandler's cafe on our quayside and I'd rather fur my arteries up with real grub ( if you believe the anti fat brigade ) than a chemical concoction.

    Never watched either of them. Neutral

    What worries me about the wind up is that several well known posters are agreeing that this diet is OK if that's what he wants to eat, so that's endorsing it for others to follow.
    avatar
    Avocado Sevenfold
    Member

    Status :
    Online
    Offline

    Female Posts : 258
    Join date : 2014-08-14
    Location : Glasgow

    Re: Food we all have a choice whole fresh food or junk

    Post by Avocado Sevenfold on Sat Sep 06 2014, 12:01

    Post #139 "I am really coming down on the side that testing is a real crock, and HbA1C may be more meaningful."

    Eat carbs, don't test. Moronic and dangerous.
    avatar
    Andy12345
    Member

    Status :
    Online
    Offline

    Male Posts : 1637
    Join date : 2014-08-14
    Age : 47
    Location : Surrey

    Re: Food we all have a choice whole fresh food or junk

    Post by Andy12345 on Sat Sep 06 2014, 12:03

    yes i saw that Sad wtf
    avatar
    Paul1976
    Moderator

    Status :
    Online
    Offline

    Male Posts : 2434
    Join date : 2014-08-12
    Age : 41
    Location : East midlands,UK

    Re: Food we all have a choice whole fresh food or junk

    Post by Paul1976 on Sat Sep 06 2014, 12:08

    @Avocado Sevenfold wrote:Post #139 "I am really coming down on the side that testing is a real crock, and HbA1C may be more meaningful."

    Eat carbs, don't test.  Moronic and dangerous.  


    Crikey!! I must have missed that one!! If I (When I was a newbie) and others who were newbies and misdiagnosed,followed that then that could have been bloody lethal! Shocked


    _________________
    Illegitimi non carborundum
    avatar
    Eddie
    Member

    Status :
    Online
    Offline

    Male Posts : 3768
    Join date : 2014-08-13
    Age : 67
    Location : London

    Re: Food we all have a choice whole fresh food or junk

    Post by Eddie on Sat Sep 06 2014, 12:16

    His posts are all wind up. I reckon all here know it, and the clued up over there, but what about the newbies ? what is all the dross doing for them ? And don't forget some of the most experienced and long time members have congratulated him on his diet, and some wonder why I rail at the lunacy.

    That place is becoming a health hazard for the newly diagnosed and long term out of control. Some applaud anything, as long as it is not low carb. It was ever thus !

    Regards Eddie


    _________________
    Type two diabetic-low carb diet (50 carbs per day) and two 500mg Metformin pills per day. Apart from diagnosis HbA1c almost 12-all HbA1c results none diabetic. For over eight years my diabetes medication has not changed. My weight has remained stable, I have suffered no ill effects from my diet whatsoever. Every blood test has proved, I took the right road to my diabetic salvation. For almost seven years, I have asked medical professionals and naysayers, how do I maintain non diabetic BG levels on two Metformin other than low carb ? The silence has been deafening !
    avatar
    Eddie
    Member

    Status :
    Online
    Offline

    Male Posts : 3768
    Join date : 2014-08-13
    Age : 67
    Location : London

    Re: Food we all have a choice whole fresh food or junk

    Post by Eddie on Sat Sep 06 2014, 18:42

    DCUK Quote of the year.

    "As to Pot Noddles, you should be avoiding them" duggie99 here http://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/hello-from-paul-janowski-phd.64070/page-2

    I knew we could help that guy. Even an old con artist like duggie will see the light in the end. The forum of fun eh and never a mod in sight these days. Anyone wondered why ?

    Regards Eddie


    _________________
    Type two diabetic-low carb diet (50 carbs per day) and two 500mg Metformin pills per day. Apart from diagnosis HbA1c almost 12-all HbA1c results none diabetic. For over eight years my diabetes medication has not changed. My weight has remained stable, I have suffered no ill effects from my diet whatsoever. Every blood test has proved, I took the right road to my diabetic salvation. For almost seven years, I have asked medical professionals and naysayers, how do I maintain non diabetic BG levels on two Metformin other than low carb ? The silence has been deafening !
    avatar
    Paul1976
    Moderator

    Status :
    Online
    Offline

    Male Posts : 2434
    Join date : 2014-08-12
    Age : 41
    Location : East midlands,UK

    Re: Food we all have a choice whole fresh food or junk

    Post by Paul1976 on Sat Sep 06 2014, 18:47

    eddie1 wrote:DCUK Quote of the year.

    "As to Pot Noddles, you should be avoiding them" duggie99 here http://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/hello-from-paul-janowski-phd.64070/page-2

    I knew we could help that guy. Even an old con artist like duggie will see the light in the end. The forum of fun eh and never a mod in sight these days. Anyone wondered why ?

    Regards Eddie

    It's PRICELESS!! It appears that anything goes over there with no limits...Unless You're a low carber of course!! Shocked

    Anyone wanna buy a 'Queen Anne' Mp3 player??!! affraid

    Paul


    _________________
    Illegitimi non carborundum
    avatar
    Eddie
    Member

    Status :
    Online
    Offline

    Male Posts : 3768
    Join date : 2014-08-13
    Age : 67
    Location : London

    Re: Food we all have a choice whole fresh food or junk

    Post by Eddie on Sat Sep 06 2014, 18:53

    What will it be next, stand by for the Jacobian SLR digital cameras. How about the bronze age lap tops.

    I see Jona has changed the avatar that gave him away, to a bull, most appropriate, Jezz what next ?

    Beam me up !

    Eddie


    _________________
    Type two diabetic-low carb diet (50 carbs per day) and two 500mg Metformin pills per day. Apart from diagnosis HbA1c almost 12-all HbA1c results none diabetic. For over eight years my diabetes medication has not changed. My weight has remained stable, I have suffered no ill effects from my diet whatsoever. Every blood test has proved, I took the right road to my diabetic salvation. For almost seven years, I have asked medical professionals and naysayers, how do I maintain non diabetic BG levels on two Metformin other than low carb ? The silence has been deafening !

    Sponsored content

    Re: Food we all have a choice whole fresh food or junk

    Post by Sponsored content


      Current date/time is Fri Nov 24 2017, 05:44