The Low Carb Diabetic

Promoting a low carb high fat lifestyle for the safe control of diabetes. Eat whole fresh food, more drugs are not the answer.


Welcome to the Low Carb Diabetic forum,have you signed up yet? if not then sign up and join us in the low carb community today!

    In My Shopping Bag Today

    Share
    avatar
    chris c
    Member

    Status :
    Online
    Offline

    Posts : 3371
    Join date : 2015-07-26

    In My Shopping Bag Today

    Post by chris c on Wed Sep 02 2015, 20:13

    Two slices of fresh lamb's liver (I already have plenty of bacon)

    A chicken breast

    200g approx ground beef

    Multicoloured peppers

    Mushrooms (I already have garlic chillies and olives)

    Two bags of runner beans from my ex-farmer friend (plus about three from the garden)

    Two enormous bloaters

    Half a smoked cod's roe.

    Now what order shall I eat them in? <drools>

    Well the liver bacon mushroom and beans are just nearly done, that just leaves me to decide what order to eat everything else for the rest of the week.

    Food reward hah!
    avatar
    Jan1
    Member

    Status :
    Online
    Offline

    Female Posts : 4278
    Join date : 2014-08-13

    Re: In My Shopping Bag Today

    Post by Jan1 on Wed Sep 02 2015, 20:46

    May I call it in my shopping bag yesterday ?
    Well I did shopping yesterday  Smile
    Today I did lunch  Smile  

    I bought some lovely mince for the moussaka we enjoyed last night, and some 97% pork sausages for the sausages with onion gravy we'll have tomorrow.

    Also got some swede, aubergine, cabbage, onions, mushrooms etc etc

    I just love the LCHF lifestyle  sunny

    All the best Jan
    avatar
    chris c
    Member

    Status :
    Online
    Offline

    Posts : 3371
    Join date : 2015-07-26

    Re: In My Shopping Bag Today

    Post by chris c on Wed Sep 02 2015, 21:53

    Ooh I haven't had moussaka for so long. And I looked at the sausages - they're a local speciality and I couldn't decide which type to buy so ended up with none of them, maybe next week - all hand made from mostly local ingredients. If the sun ever comes out again for long enough and I get the lawn cut I might take a trip out to one of a couple of butchers in distant towns whose sausages come recommended.

    I just can't comprehend how people find this so hard to do that they give up after a few months.
    avatar
    graham64
    Member

    Status :
    Online
    Offline

    Male Posts : 3072
    Join date : 2014-08-10
    Location : Lancs

    Re: In My Shopping Bag Today

    Post by graham64 on Wed Sep 02 2015, 22:07

    @chris c wrote:Two slices of fresh lamb's liver (I already have plenty of bacon)

    A chicken breast

    200g approx ground beef

    Multicoloured peppers

    Mushrooms (I already have garlic chillies and olives)

    Two bags of runner beans from my ex-farmer friend (plus about three from the garden)

    Two enormous bloaters

    Half a smoked cod's roe.

    Now what order shall I eat them in? <drools>

    Well the liver bacon mushroom and beans are just nearly done, that just leaves me to decide what order to eat everything else for the rest of the week.

    Food reward hah!

    Nice list Chris but were's the potatoes Shocked As you may know that eminent dietishun Ali clown said on the dietetics forum they should be a staple in a type 2 diet Wink


    _________________
    I'm a skinny T2 diagnosed 4/4/2008, a high calorie LCHF diet and one metformin a day A1c 6.2 and no complications.

    Proving the LowCarb sceptics wrong for over nine years,

    Not all cherubs are Angels  Wink nor all diabetics Bonkers  Rolling Eyes
    avatar
    Jan1
    Member

    Status :
    Online
    Offline

    Female Posts : 4278
    Join date : 2014-08-13

    Re: In My Shopping Bag Today

    Post by Jan1 on Thu Sep 03 2015, 15:47

    ... just going through a shopping list

    Have included some Rose Wine in readiness for Strictly this Saturday No Laughing  Exclamation

    OK OK I'm off  run

    All the best Jan
    avatar
    chris c
    Member

    Status :
    Online
    Offline

    Posts : 3371
    Join date : 2015-07-26

    Re: In My Shopping Bag Today

    Post by chris c on Thu Sep 03 2015, 19:49

    @graham64 wrote:
    Nice list Chris but were's the potatoes Shocked As you may know that eminent dietishun Ali clown said on the dietetics forum they should be a staple in a type 2 diet Wink

    I can't remember when I last ate potatoes. Oh OK I can, twas at the pub last weekend. Aftere walking around a while my feet began to smart. Coincidence? I think not.

    I can't remember when I last BOUGHT potatoes . . .
    avatar
    Paul1976
    Moderator

    Status :
    Online
    Offline

    Male Posts : 2434
    Join date : 2014-08-12
    Age : 41
    Location : East midlands,UK

    Re: In My Shopping Bag Today

    Post by Paul1976 on Thu Sep 03 2015, 20:05

    @chris c wrote:
    @graham64 wrote:
    Nice list Chris but were's the potatoes Shocked As you may know that eminent dietishun Ali clown said on the dietetics forum they should be a staple in a type 2 diet Wink

    I can't remember when I last ate potatoes. Oh OK I can, twas at the pub last weekend. Aftere walking around a while my feet began to smart. Coincidence? I think not.

    I can't remember when I last BOUGHT potatoes . . .

    Were the spuds prepared as chips though Chris? If so,Sid Bonkers has a tip to minimise the effect...Check out the link below! woot

    http://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/vinegar.81563#post-914118
    avatar
    chris c
    Member

    Status :
    Online
    Offline

    Posts : 3371
    Join date : 2015-07-26

    Re: In My Shopping Bag Today

    Post by chris c on Thu Sep 03 2015, 20:30

    @Paul1976 wrote:
    @chris c wrote:
    @graham64 wrote:
    Nice list Chris but were's the potatoes Shocked As you may know that eminent dietishun Ali clown said on the dietetics forum they should be a staple in a type 2 diet Wink

    I can't remember when I last ate potatoes. Oh OK I can, twas at the pub last weekend. Aftere walking around a while my feet began to smart. Coincidence? I think not.

    I can't remember when I last BOUGHT potatoes . . .

    Were the spuds prepared as chips though Chris? If so,Sid Bonkers has a tip to minimise the effect...Check out the link below! woot

    http://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/vinegar.81563#post-914118

    Fuckwit alert!

    Yeah I ate chips, also the pastry from the pheasant partridge and pear pie probably didn't help a lot.

    What the hell, sometimes I go completely off plan as a reminder of what I could be suffering if I'd continued to do what the dietician told me.

    My mother used to cook Christmas dinners for most of her life. After we moved here we used to visit my late aunt instead and let her cook. One year I got away with a full Christmas dinner and my BG never went over 6.

    Sod the vinegar, I started by eating a SMALL carby snack about half an hour before dinner to get my insulin in the mood. IMMEDIATELY after eating the main course with a glass of wine I went for a power walk which was prolonged because I took a wrong turn and ended up in a neighbouring village and had to walk back. Nearly went hypo.

    Then I ate the Christmas pud with cream and a significant slug of brandy and went for a shorter walk.

    When I got back I had the Christmas cake.

    You can trick your pancreas into behaving short term but long term there's only one answer . . .
    avatar
    Jan1
    Member

    Status :
    Online
    Offline

    Female Posts : 4278
    Join date : 2014-08-13

    Re: In My Shopping Bag Today

    Post by Jan1 on Mon Sep 28 2015, 21:47

    Amongst other low carb goodies ... in my shopping bag today was some 85% dark chocolate.

    Goes so well with a cup of coffee in the evening,  sunny

    All the best Jan
    avatar
    chris c
    Member

    Status :
    Online
    Offline

    Posts : 3371
    Join date : 2015-07-26

    Re: In My Shopping Bag Today

    Post by chris c on Mon Sep 28 2015, 22:42

    Damn the Co-Op, they've had a Reorganisation and I'm currently relearning where to find things. NOT helped by them changing the packaging, what used to be Fairtrade 85% is now "made including fairtrade ingredients. Meanwhile there's a pretty decent 85% chocolate called Divine in the Organic Shop which I prefer to the Lindt.

    Yes that's exactly how I eat mine, a couple of squares does a hell of a lot to the tastebuds and nowt to the glucometer.
    avatar
    Jan1
    Member

    Status :
    Online
    Offline

    Female Posts : 4278
    Join date : 2014-08-13

    Re: In My Shopping Bag Today

    Post by Jan1 on Sat Nov 28 2015, 11:18

    Must just share this with you ...
    Shopping at Waitrose earlier in the week, these sausages were on special offer ... I couldn't resist buying two packs sunny

    Waitrose 8 British honey & rosemary pork chipolatas in bacon


    Product Summary

    Honey and rosemary pork chipolatas wrapped in oak smoked dry cured bacon, made with prime British pork from pigs born outdoors and reared in airy, straw bedded barns.

    Waitrose pigs are reared to produce high quality, succulent pork that is tender and full of flavour. We work with a long-established group of dedicated farms; selecting them for their high standards of animal husbandry, welfare and a commitment to sustainable farming.

    4.6 g carb per two sausages ... and absolutely delicious, has made a very nice and tasty change Smile

    See their site here

    http://www.waitrose.com/shop/DisplayProductFlyout?productId=84051

    All the best Jan
    avatar
    chris c
    Member

    Status :
    Online
    Offline

    Posts : 3371
    Join date : 2015-07-26

    Re: In My Shopping Bag Today

    Post by chris c on Sun Nov 29 2015, 21:19

    I had a Waitrose where I used to live, and another where I worked, along with a Sainsburies and a Safeway, later Morrisons.

    The Waitrose was always a cut above the others for quality, and not much more expensive. It would have been possible to save a bit of money by buying different items in the different stores, but not enough to make it worthwhile queueing in three different places.
    avatar
    Jan1
    Member

    Status :
    Online
    Offline

    Female Posts : 4278
    Join date : 2014-08-13

    Re: In My Shopping Bag Today

    Post by Jan1 on Mon Nov 30 2015, 11:45

    I can remember when growing up my parents were one for bargains. My mum would shop almost daily and kept a very keen eye on prices ... I guess looking back with a young family it's what you do!
    As they grew older this 'look out for bargains' continued and they would check out prices in the shops / supermarkets and buy accordingly.

    I think nowadays people do not seem to have the time - or they may compare online!

    For me Waitrose and M & S food is usually excellent, they can be more expensive and I do not shop there on a regular basis, but they both have a wide range of good whole fresh food available,  and of course frozen ...

    We do of course have to choose where we shop, how often we shop to suit our lifestyle, and what shops are available.

    Today, it will probably be a top up of foods in my local Sainsbury !

    A few more eggs, mushrooms and butter are top of the list ...

    All the best Jan
    flower
    avatar
    chris c
    Member

    Status :
    Online
    Offline

    Posts : 3371
    Join date : 2015-07-26

    Re: In My Shopping Bag Today

    Post by chris c on Tue Dec 01 2015, 19:46

    Most of my stuff comes from the butcher, greengrocer and fish van. Here we have a Co-Op which is half decent. A few years ago when Tescos opened a Superstore in a nearby town, friends bought a load of stuff in the Co-Op one week, then the Tescos the following week - and the Tescos turned out to be more expensive. I see their vans around a lot but have moral as well as financial reasons never to use them - when I was a trucker I used to DREAD seeing Tescos on my delivery notes, they were deliberately understaffed knowing that the longer they held trucks up, the less time they had to deliver to their rivals - and they were too big to be charged demurrage. Written on the back door of a Tescos "I died here waiting to deliver, 1976 - 7" All the other supermarkets were much more delivery friendly. They owe me hours of my life I'm never going to get back. Often they wouldn't even allow drivers in to use the toilet or phone. Waitrose, Sainsburies etc. no problem.
    avatar
    Eddie
    Member

    Status :
    Online
    Offline

    Male Posts : 3767
    Join date : 2014-08-13
    Age : 67
    Location : London

    Re: In My Shopping Bag Today

    Post by Eddie on Tue Dec 01 2015, 20:03

    I have some inside knowledge of Tesco's possibly the worlds worst employers. They deserve all they get share price well down losing sales to others and ripping of their customers. I agree about Sainsbury's and Waitrose very nice and genuinely happy to help staff. We like their food and prices. Sainsbury for around 75% of our food shop and Waitrose for the treats. More expensive of course but good value for money and top quality grub.


    _________________
    Type two diabetic-low carb diet (50 carbs per day) and two 500mg Metformin pills per day. Apart from diagnosis HbA1c almost 12-all HbA1c results none diabetic. For over eight years my diabetes medication has not changed. My weight has remained stable, I have suffered no ill effects from my diet whatsoever. Every blood test has proved, I took the right road to my diabetic salvation. For almost seven years, I have asked medical professionals and naysayers, how do I maintain non diabetic BG levels on two Metformin other than low carb ? The silence has been deafening !
    avatar
    chris c
    Member

    Status :
    Online
    Offline

    Posts : 3371
    Join date : 2015-07-26

    Re: In My Shopping Bag Today

    Post by chris c on Wed Dec 02 2015, 18:18

    Tescos bought up some patches of land around town and threatened to leave them undeveloped unless the council authorised their store right next to the Co-Op. The council remained uncowed. Tescos built in a nearby town instead, right opposite their Waitrose. They are prepared to lose money undercutting other shops until they put them out of business, then they jack their prices right up. Typical capitalists of the worst kind. Buy cheap, sell expensive and pay peanuts to their employees. One reason Waitrose is more expensive is that their staff are basically shareholders, see John Lewis Partnership for details. Sainsburies and Morrisons are in between on the ethics front.

    When I was young we had Home And Colonial, later International, and elsewhere Liptons, and Gateway in the West Country. Fine Fare were the pile'em'up and sell'em cheap merchants of the day, a spot now taken by Lidl and Aldi.

    The first Superstore I remember was French, can't remember their name now, later followed by ASDA - Associated Dairies. Tescos were late to the party but determined to "win" at all costs, looks like it's costing THEM now!
    avatar
    Jan1
    Member

    Status :
    Online
    Offline

    Female Posts : 4278
    Join date : 2014-08-13

    Re: In My Shopping Bag Today

    Post by Jan1 on Thu Dec 03 2015, 11:37

    Looking back I can certainly remember shopping at Sainsbury's and also Woolworth's. We lived about a twenty minute walk away from them. Off we'd go into town with my mums shopping trolley / basket in tow !

    Now you mention them, I can also remember International, Liptons and Fine Fare ...

    Shopping recently most of the stores are changing their shelves and displays around - so I find it can be useful to allow a little extra time to find out where the particular item you need and is usually in aisle 5,  has now been moved to ... but does anyone else find this annoying?

    All the best Jan
    avatar
    chris c
    Member

    Status :
    Online
    Offline

    Posts : 3371
    Join date : 2015-07-26

    Re: In My Shopping Bag Today

    Post by chris c on Thu Dec 03 2015, 20:24

    You too huh? Yes the Co-Op did a major reorganisation a few months ago, I often pass myself going the other way until I've found where they hid things. Carrefour was the original superstore whose name I couldn't remember yesterday. Thanks for reminding me of Woolworths, occasionally I was permitted to buy sweets from their pick'n'mix selection.
    avatar
    Jan1
    Member

    Status :
    Online
    Offline

    Female Posts : 4278
    Join date : 2014-08-13

    Re: In My Shopping Bag Today

    Post by Jan1 on Sun Jun 05 2016, 09:26

    I know the title of this thread is called 'In My Shopping Bag Today' ...

    These were actually part of my shopping yesterday!

    Full of good nutrients they are too!

    Eggs true wonder food and highly affordable.


    An essential amino acid or indispensable amino acid is an amino acid that cannot be synthesized de novo (from scratch) by the organism, and thus must be supplied in its diet. The nine amino acids humans cannot synthesize are phenylalanine, valine, threonine, tryptophan, methionine, leucine, isoleucine, lysine, and histidine. From Wiki here. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Essential_amino_acid



    Post / chart details taken from here
    http://thelowcarbdiabetic.blogspot.co.uk/2016/06/eggs-true-wonder-food-and-highly.html

    All the best Jan
    avatar
    Jan1
    Member

    Status :
    Online
    Offline

    Female Posts : 4278
    Join date : 2014-08-13

    Re: In My Shopping Bag Today

    Post by Jan1 on Sun Aug 28 2016, 16:22

    I had to go out and get a few bits and pieces ... and noticed that Kerrygold butter is still £1-00 at Asda so that went in the shopping basket, along with avocado and prawns and salad goodies such as radishes, tomatoes, celery a few walnuts etc etc.
    They also had Castello Danish Blue Cheese at a reduced price ... couldn't resist that one.

    Couldn't help noticing the news today - the very last BHS store to close for final time after 88 years  Sad
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-37207481?foo=bar&

    All the best Jan
    avatar
    graham64
    Member

    Status :
    Online
    Offline

    Male Posts : 3072
    Join date : 2014-08-10
    Location : Lancs

    Re: In My Shopping Bag Today

    Post by graham64 on Sun Aug 28 2016, 21:49

    Bought from Sainsbury's Montezuma's 100% Cocoa Chocolate Bar: Absolute Black £2, not tried it yet will report back when I have 


    For that dramatic cocoa hit.  Don’t say we didn’t warn you!
    No sugar, no dairy, no gluten, no soya, all natural …  100% dark and mysterious.
    This chocolate bar mde from 100% Cocoa is sugar free, gluten free, soya free and dairy free. Perfect for a whole host of different diets and food intollerances. Give it a go it is delicious!
    100% Cocoa



    _________________
    I'm a skinny T2 diagnosed 4/4/2008, a high calorie LCHF diet and one metformin a day A1c 6.2 and no complications.

    Proving the LowCarb sceptics wrong for over nine years,

    Not all cherubs are Angels  Wink nor all diabetics Bonkers  Rolling Eyes
    avatar
    Jan1
    Member

    Status :
    Online
    Offline

    Female Posts : 4278
    Join date : 2014-08-13

    Re: In My Shopping Bag Today

    Post by Jan1 on Mon Aug 29 2016, 11:49

    @graham64 wrote:Bought from Sainsbury's Montezuma's 100% Cocoa Chocolate Bar: Absolute Black £2, not tried it yet will report back when I have 


    For that dramatic cocoa hit.  Don’t say we didn’t warn you!
    No sugar, no dairy, no gluten, no soya, all natural …  100% dark and mysterious.
    This chocolate bar mde from 100% Cocoa is sugar free, gluten free, soya free and dairy free. Perfect for a whole host of different diets and food intollerances. Give it a go it is delicious!
    100% Cocoa


    Wow 100% Cocoa - will be interested to see what you thought about this.

    All the best Jan
    avatar
    Eddie
    Member

    Status :
    Online
    Offline

    Male Posts : 3767
    Join date : 2014-08-13
    Age : 67
    Location : London

    Re: In My Shopping Bag Today

    Post by Eddie on Mon Aug 29 2016, 19:26

    What's in my shopping basket? Zilch, because I never go shopping. I hate it, unless I am in a shop that sells fishing gear, or an Off Licence, and they have become a thing of the past, a bit like me I suppose. In fact good fishing gear shops are becoming a thing of the past. The internet is slowly killing the old fashioned angling shops. They were places to go and chew the fat, pick up tips and chat with like minded people. Now it's click a mouse and wait for the parcel to arrive. affraid

    Most shops are full of the same crap, and mostly made in China. Everyone knows the price of everything and the value of nothing. Jeez, how I hate the twenty-first century. I know what you are thinking, being so miserable keeps this old git going. And you are right. rofl

    Anyway, that's my valuable contribution to the forum today. facepalm

    PS We have this for dinner tonight, good job Jan gets down the shops.  http://thelowcarbdiabetic.blogspot.co.uk/2016/08/paprika-pork-with-red-peppers.html



    _________________
    Type two diabetic-low carb diet (50 carbs per day) and two 500mg Metformin pills per day. Apart from diagnosis HbA1c almost 12-all HbA1c results none diabetic. For over eight years my diabetes medication has not changed. My weight has remained stable, I have suffered no ill effects from my diet whatsoever. Every blood test has proved, I took the right road to my diabetic salvation. For almost seven years, I have asked medical professionals and naysayers, how do I maintain non diabetic BG levels on two Metformin other than low carb ? The silence has been deafening !
    avatar
    graham64
    Member

    Status :
    Online
    Offline

    Male Posts : 3072
    Join date : 2014-08-10
    Location : Lancs

    Re: In My Shopping Bag Today

    Post by graham64 on Mon Aug 29 2016, 21:56

    @Jan1 wrote:
    @graham64 wrote:Bought from Sainsbury's Montezuma's 100% Cocoa Chocolate Bar: Absolute Black £2, not tried it yet will report back when I have 


    For that dramatic cocoa hit.  Don’t say we didn’t warn you!
    No sugar, no dairy, no gluten, no soya, all natural …  100% dark and mysterious.
    This chocolate bar mde from 100% Cocoa is sugar free, gluten free, soya free and dairy free. Perfect for a whole host of different diets and food intollerances. Give it a go it is delicious!
    100% Cocoa


    Wow 100% Cocoa - will be interested to see what you thought about this.

    All the best Jan

    Well I tried the chocolate today it's definitely bitter don't think it will be to everyone's taste though, not sure if I'll buy anymore


    _________________
    I'm a skinny T2 diagnosed 4/4/2008, a high calorie LCHF diet and one metformin a day A1c 6.2 and no complications.

    Proving the LowCarb sceptics wrong for over nine years,

    Not all cherubs are Angels  Wink nor all diabetics Bonkers  Rolling Eyes
    avatar
    Jan1
    Member

    Status :
    Online
    Offline

    Female Posts : 4278
    Join date : 2014-08-13

    Re: In My Shopping Bag Today

    Post by Jan1 on Wed Aug 31 2016, 09:51

    @graham64 wrote:
    @Jan1 wrote:
    @graham64 wrote:Bought from Sainsbury's Montezuma's 100% Cocoa Chocolate Bar: Absolute Black £2, not tried it yet will report back when I have 


    For that dramatic cocoa hit.  Don’t say we didn’t warn you!
    No sugar, no dairy, no gluten, no soya, all natural …  100% dark and mysterious.
    This chocolate bar mde from 100% Cocoa is sugar free, gluten free, soya free and dairy free. Perfect for a whole host of different diets and food intollerances. Give it a go it is delicious!
    100% Cocoa


    Wow 100% Cocoa - will be interested to see what you thought about this.

    All the best Jan

    Well I tried the chocolate today it's definitely bitter don't think it will be to everyone's taste though, not sure if I'll buy anymore

    Many thanks for the update Smile

    I may just stick with the 85% bar! One square goes great with a cup of coffee Smile

    All the best Jan

    Sponsored content

    Re: In My Shopping Bag Today

    Post by Sponsored content


      Current date/time is Wed Nov 22 2017, 16:48