THE LOW CARB DIABETIC

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
THE LOW CARB DIABETIC

Promoting a low carb high fat lifestyle for the safe control of diabetes. Eat whole fresh food, more drugs are not the answer.

Welcome to the Low Carb Diabetic forum,have you signed up yet? if not then sign up and join us in the low carb community today!

2 posters

Merlene Ottey

chris c
    chris c

Merlene Ottey Empty Merlene Ottey

Post by chris c Sun Aug 30 2015, 18:19

Can't remember where it was now but there was a thread on Usain Bolt.

Merlene Ottey has to be one of my all time favourite athletes. She is still at it after over 30 YEARS! Still stunning at over 50 and still running.

It's sad she didn't get more golds but then she was competing against drug-fuelled Yanks and others. The wife of a friend of my ex-wife knew her, but I didn't discover this until after she'd married someone else, dammit! <G> but I'm pretty certain that like most of the Jamaicans she was drug-free and just very competent and well coached. You can see a similar ultra-efficient style in Bolt and most other Jamaican athletes.

I wonder what he'll be doing in 30 years time.

What I'd really like to know is what they eat to retain such performance for so long.

You see some of those cute little gymnast girls without an ounce of fat on their muscle, who turn into dumptrucks as soon as they retire (and also suffer from a lot of injuries and degeneration), and Mark Sisson among others has pointed out the same thing occurring with male athletes when they retire. As for retired footballers, well let's just not go there!

I suspect a lot of the degeneration comes from continuing to eat a high carb diet which they can only get away with so long as they are performing at their maximum. There's lots of work now showing increased performance for many endurance athletes who low carb, only sprinters and other explosive performers do better with high carbs. Even Jeff Volek was not only a low carb researcher but a champion powerlifter - he did admit to using carbs but still not in the usual quantities.

I wonder what Mo Farah eats for that matter.
    Eddie
    Eddie

Male Posts : 3807

Merlene Ottey Empty Re: Merlene Ottey

Post by Eddie Sun Aug 30 2015, 19:30

chris c wrote:Can't remember where it was now but there was a thread on Usain Bolt.

Merlene Ottey has to be one of my all time favourite athletes. She is still at it after over 30 YEARS! Still stunning at over 50 and still running.

It's sad she didn't get more golds but then she was competing against drug-fuelled Yanks and others. The wife of a friend of my ex-wife knew her, but I didn't discover this until after she'd married someone else, dammit! <G> but I'm pretty certain that like most of the Jamaicans she was drug-free and just very competent and well coached. You can see a similar ultra-efficient style in Bolt and most other Jamaican athletes.

I wonder what he'll be doing in 30 years time.

What I'd really like to know is what they eat to retain such performance for so long.

You see some of those cute little gymnast girls without an ounce of fat on their muscle, who turn into dumptrucks as soon as they retire (and also suffer from a lot of injuries and degeneration), and Mark Sisson among others has pointed out the same thing occurring with male athletes when they retire. As for retired footballers, well let's just not go there!

I suspect a lot of the degeneration comes from continuing to eat a high carb diet which they can only get away with so long as they are performing at their maximum. There's lots of work now showing increased performance for many endurance athletes who low carb, only sprinters and other explosive performers do better with high carbs. Even Jeff Volek was not only a low carb researcher but a champion powerlifter - he did admit to using carbs but still not in the usual quantities.

I wonder what Mo Farah eats for that matter.

Sorry to disappoint Chris, Bolt trains on complete junk food. affraid

"Diets can be of paramount importance to a sportsman – Novak Djokovic’s grand slam success is based on a strict gluten free one, WBO welterweight champion Tim Bradley defeated Manny Pacquiao on a trusted vegan one, and Usain Bolt at the 2008 Beijing Olympics…he powered to three gold medals fuelled by Chicken McNuggets, a total he now estimates to have reached 1,000 during his 10 days in the Chinese capital.

The Jamaican revealed in his soon-to-be released autobiography, Faster than Lightning, his passion started with a box of 20, yes 20, of the golden chicken treats, but with his training going into overdrive, he soon needed far more, up to 100 a day, and even turned to an apple pie to take the edge off.

“At first I ate a box of 20 for lunch, then another for dinner,” he wrote. “The next day I had two boxes for breakfast, one for lunch and then another couple in the evening. I even grabbed some fries and an apple pie to go with it.”

Info from here http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/general/athletics/usain-bolt-reveals-he-devoured-1000-chicken-mcnuggets-during-the-2008-beijing-olympics-8920870.html
    chris c
    chris c

Post by chris c Mon Aug 31 2015, 20:08

I suppose you can get away with it when you go that fast, but I predict neither he nor Michael Phelps will have thirty plus year careers.

Probably neither will Lance Armstrong on his low carb high drug diet.

There are an increasing number of LCHF sportspeople though, I wonder how long their careers will last.
    chris c
    chris c

Post by chris c Tue Sep 01 2015, 20:59

Thinking further about it, I wonder if he actually eats this crap or if he is just paid to say so, look at the sponsors for the last Olympics . . .

. . . modern sport is highly scientific, with slo-mo video replays, computer analysis, muscle sensors etc. then the dieticians chime in with the usual crap (wasn't our nemesis a sports dietician?) I mean surely a diet based on curry goat, jerk chicken, rice and peas, plantain etc. could be made a lot healthier than CIAB (AFAICR Peter at Hyperlipid coined the phrase Crap In A Bag, initially to describe lab animal diets, and later applied it to the human equivalent) one wonders how much faster he would go if he had a decent diet
    Eddie
    Eddie

Male Posts : 3807

Post by Eddie Tue Sep 01 2015, 21:10

"how much faster he would go if he had a decent diet"

I reckon he is saving the high quality grub that we eat for when his legs pack up and needs a bit of help.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Mar 28 2024, 23:34