THE LOW CARB DIABETIC

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
THE LOW CARB DIABETIC

Promoting a low carb high fat lifestyle for the safe control of diabetes. Eat whole fresh food, more drugs are not the answer.

Welcome to the Low Carb Diabetic forum,have you signed up yet? if not then sign up and join us in the low carb community today!

3 posters

Flavonoids in food extend your life expectancy

yoly
    yoly

Flavonoids in food extend your life expectancy Empty Flavonoids in food extend your life expectancy

Post by yoly Sat Aug 15 2015, 13:16

(Some of the food may not be good for a diabetic, but many are and eating clean can have it benefits.)

http://www.ergo-log.com/flavonoids-in-food-extend-life-expectancy.html

Do you want to live longer? Then cut as many foods that only provide empty calories out of your diet as you can, and replace them with flavonoid-rich foods like vegetables, fruit, cacao and tea. Researchers at the University of Western Australia did a small epidemiological study and discovered that a high-flavonoid diet dramatically reduces mortality risk.

Study
    The researchers followed 1063 women, all of whom were older than 75, for a period of five years. The women completed questionnaires about their diet, and the researchers used these to calculate the amount of flavonoids the women consumed.

Isoflavone

Isoflavones are found in, among other things, legumes and especially in soya. The structural formula of isoflavone is shown here.
    Anthocyanidin

Anthocyanidins are found in, among other things, berries. American researchers have found particularly high concentrations in gooseberries. [J Agric Food Chem. 2006 May 31;54(11):4069-75.] The structural formula of anthocyanidin is shown here.
    Flavanone

Flavanones are found in, among other things, citrus fruits such as grapefruit, oranges and limes. [Journal of Food Composition and Analysis 19 (2006) S74–S80.] The structural formula of flavanone is shown here.
    Flavone

Flavones are found in, among other things, apples, onions, celery and tea. [J Am Diet Assoc. 2002 Oct;102(10):1414-20.] The structural formula of flavone is shown here.
    Flavonol

Flavonol

Flavonoles are found in, among other things, apples, onions, celery and tea. [J Am Diet Assoc. 2002 Oct;102(10):1414-20.] The structural formula of flavonol is shown here.
    Flavanol & Proanthocyanidin

Flavanols and proanthocyanidins are found in, among other things, cacao and berries. [J Nutr. 2004 Mar;134(3):613-7.] The structural formulas of flavanol (above) and proanthocyanidins (below) are shown here.

The researchers divided the women into three equal-sized groups on the basis of their flavonoid consumption. The 'low' group consumed less than 547 mg flavonoids daily; the 'moderate' group consumed 547-813 mg flavonoids daily; and the 'high' group consumed more than 813 mg flavonoids daily.

Study
    In the period that the researchers followed the women, 17 women died in the low group, 13 in the moderate group and 5 in the high group. A high flavonoid intake protected against both fatal cardiovascular disease and fatal forms of cancer.

The overall survival chances of the women in the high group were also higher than those of the women in the other groups during the five years that the researchers monitored the women.

Conclusion
    When the researchers split their data up according to flavonoid type, they found that the flavanols and flavonols in particular protected against mortality. That doesn't mean though that the other types of flavonoids have no effect. Flavanols and flavonols are the most common kinds of flavonoids in our food. We consume the highest amounts of these.

Source:
    Am J Clin Nutr. 2015 May;101(5):1012-20.
    Jan1
    Jan1

Female Posts : 5094

Flavonoids in food extend your life expectancy Empty Re: Flavonoids in food extend your life expectancy

Post by Jan1 Sat Aug 15 2015, 15:48

Thanks for posting this Yoly.

I think key also has to be eating clean whole fresh foods. Also important is to start eating this way from young, with our 'modern lifestyle' so many young people have been introduced to the wrong type of food.

Interesting about gooseberies, they were a firm family favourite years ago and I haven't eaten them for a long time. Blackberries now are very popular, along with raspberries and strawberries.

Are gooseberries high in carbs I wonder ... hang on I'll do a google search!!

... approx 10g gram per 100g see here https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gooseberry

All the best Jan
    chris c
    chris c

Flavonoids in food extend your life expectancy Empty Re: Flavonoids in food extend your life expectancy

Post by chris c Sat Aug 15 2015, 18:25

My late lamented friend Quentin always wrote good stuff. In New Zealand they didn't have "five a day" they have "five colours a day". I spend my carb allowance wisely on multicoloured things for the flavonoids. I regard salmon and prawns as honorary vegetables for the pink colour - astaxanthin.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 19 2024, 18:09