THE LOW CARB DIABETIC

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
THE LOW CARB DIABETIC

Promoting a low carb high fat lifestyle for the safe control of diabetes. Eat whole fresh food, more drugs are not the answer.

Welcome to the Low Carb Diabetic forum,have you signed up yet? if not then sign up and join us in the low carb community today!

2 posters

Anti-thalidomide hero Frances Oldham Kelsey dies at 101

Eddie
    Eddie

Male Posts : 3807

Anti-thalidomide hero Frances Oldham Kelsey dies at 101 Empty Anti-thalidomide hero Frances Oldham Kelsey dies at 101

Post by Eddie Tue Aug 11 2015, 10:23

Frances Oldham Kelsey, the Canadian doctor who played a central role in preventing the drug thalidomide being distributed in the US, has died at 101.

She refused to approve it while working for the US drug agency in the 1960s.

It was later found that thalidomide - prescribed to pregnant women to ease morning sickness - was causing thousands of babies to be born with missing limbs or organs. Many died. She was lauded by citizens' groups and was awarded honorary degrees.
    Dr Kelsey passed away in London, Ontario, on Friday, Canada's CBC reported. Her daughter Christine Kelsey was by her side.

Anti-thalidomide hero Frances Oldham Kelsey dies at 101 _84753032_aae2d20b-a7f8-4e9f-9554-e193fb2907c4

More on this story here http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-33831451

Something I wrote on the blog a couple of years ago.

Brazil's new generation of Thalidomide babies

If you have never taken a pharma drug in your life, and know absolutely nothing about drugs, if you are middle aged or older you will have heard of Thalidomide. Not the largest big pharma disaster by any means, but certainly the most well known. I was staggered to read today the drug has been used again, and babies are being born without limbs because of this horror drug. I can only hope the poor souls, affected by this terrible drug, receive millions in compensation. Years ago when UK children were victims of this horror story, it took years to get some compensation, and the compensation was meagre.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-23418102

BTW did anyone see this story the other day.

The statin that saves babies from stillbirth: Discovery could save pregnant women from potentially fatal high blood pressure condition. From here http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-3190362/The-statin-saves-babies-stillbirth-Discovery-save-pregnant-women-potentially-fatal-high-blood-pressure-condition.html

Statins have always been contraindicated in pregnancy and should only be taken under medical advice from your doctor. It seems every week a new wonder use is found for statins. I wonder if this guy is on the big pharma payola. "The trials follow pioneering British research by Prof Ahmed that first suggested statins could be effective." I think I will follow the money on this one.

chris c
    chris c

Anti-thalidomide hero Frances Oldham Kelsey dies at 101 Empty Re: Anti-thalidomide hero Frances Oldham Kelsey dies at 101

Post by chris c Tue Aug 11 2015, 17:16

I knew a couple of cancer patients who were prescribed Thalidomide, but then they were male. This makes a lot of difference.

Current date/time is Fri Mar 29 2024, 08:07