The Low Carb Diabetic

Promoting a low carb high fat lifestyle for the safe control of diabetes. Eat whole fresh food, more drugs are not the answer.

Welcome to the Low Carb Diabetic forum,have you signed up yet? if not then sign up and join us in the low carb community today!

Combine Harvesters

chris c

Combine Harvesters

Post by chris c on Sun Aug 09 2015, 18:21

They're out in the wheat all over. I remember the first ten tonne per hour machines back in the late sixties. In recent years there's been an arms race between Claas and New Holland: two years ago Claas hit nearly 90 tonnes/hour. Last year a New Holland averaged a smidgeon under 100 tonnes/hr with a spot rate of up to 150 tonnes/hr. One of our farmers with two machines has to get around 140 tonnes/hr of wheat back to the barn. Another who does a lot of contracting now has three machines, so that's over 200 tonnes/hr to move, quite a logistical exercise.

Looks like a bumper harvest so I suspect the prices will drop again. The main reason they went up after the crash a few years back was increased sales to China. According to T Colon Campbell's book The China Study this will lead to increased health. According to his own DATA it will lead to a catastrophic fall in Chinese health, as reanalysed by Denise Minger

A look at high carb diets from another perspective . . . (the Colon was actually someone's typo which seems to have stuck)
    Jan1

Female Posts : 4337

Re: Combine Harvesters

Post by Jan1 on Sun Aug 09 2015, 21:26

The world and it's population has to be fed and all those grains go a long way .... I'm no expert but farming equipment can not be cheap! If it is a bumper harvest prices may well fall. Grains today are so different to the more ancient grain.

We each have to decide do we include grains in our diet / lifestyle ?

Perhaps like do we buy organic vegetables or not?

Thanks for the link to Denise Minger  Smile

All the best Jan
    graham64

Male Posts : 3112

Post by graham64 on Sun Aug 09 2015, 23:11

Monsanto's gm crops coming to the UK gonna need them combine harvesters Crying or Very sad

Combine harvesters! now I feel a song coming on Cool

OK i'll get me coat  Wink

Proving the LowCarb sceptics wrong for over nine years,

Not all cherubs are Angels  Wink nor all diabetics Bonkers  Rolling Eyes
    Eddie

Male Posts : 3768

Post by Eddie on Sun Aug 09 2015, 23:47

Good grief, I can't resist, am I obvious or what.

Type two diabetic-low carb diet (50 carbs per day) and two 500mg Metformin pills per day. Apart from diagnosis HbA1c almost 12-all HbA1c results none diabetic. For over eight years my diabetes medication has not changed. My weight has remained stable, I have suffered no ill effects from my diet whatsoever. Every blood test has proved, I took the right road to my diabetic salvation. For almost seven years, I have asked medical professionals and naysayers, how do I maintain non diabetic BG levels on two Metformin other than low carb ? The silence has been deafening !
    chris c

Post by chris c on Mon Aug 10 2015, 11:45

Believe it or not the producer of that record was a relative.

Another side of the same coin, a friend who collects vintage machines can no longer use some of his old combines in modern wheat, the yield has increased so much they can't be driven slow enough to avoid overloading. Yields of other crops have increased but not to that extent.

Fast growing high yielding crops can't pull as many minerals out of the soil as earlier varieties so they're less nutritious. Also they are bred for disease resistance (ie. toxins) but no-one has told them people aren't a disease.

At least our farmers feed the soil with copious quantities of manure, including digested human ordure, rather than pure synthetics. Nevertheless I'm happy to have removed wheat and most other grains from my diet not just for the effects on BG - it leaves room for more nutritious (and tasty) stuff.

One of my late neighbours was a farmer. He was caught in the classic "farmer's dilemma" - he needed to take out a loan to redo a load of field drains so he could increase his profits enough to repay the loan. He was refused. As soon as he sold up he was a millionaire. Some of the big guys may have a million or two tied up in machinery alone, the return on investment can be miniscule or even negative, which never happens to Tescos.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun Dec 17 2017, 12:07