THE LOW CARB DIABETIC

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
THE LOW CARB DIABETIC

Promoting a low carb high fat lifestyle for the safe control of diabetes. Eat whole fresh food, more drugs are not the answer.

Welcome to the Low Carb Diabetic forum,have you signed up yet? if not then sign up and join us in the low carb community today!

3 posters

Should Carbohydrate Restriction Be The Default Diet For Diabetes?

Jan1
    Jan1

Female Posts : 5094

Should Carbohydrate Restriction Be The Default Diet For Diabetes? Empty Should Carbohydrate Restriction Be The Default Diet For Diabetes?

Post by Jan1 Fri Jul 31 2015, 12:30

Steve Parker, M.D. has been practicing Internal Medicine since 1981, he graduated from medical school at the University of Oklahoma Health Sciences Center.  Internal Medicine involves the diagnosis and non-surgical treatment of adults.

He has a blog called 'Diabetic Mediterranean diet.' and this post below featured. I thought it one to share. See what you think.

Should Carbohydrate Restriction Be The Default Diet For Diabetes?

"Yes….according to a manifesto to be published soon in Nutrition. It may be published already since this post has been sitting in my draft stack for a while. The abstract:

The inability of current recommendations to control the epidemic of diabetes, the specific failure of the prevailing low-fat diets to improve obesity, cardiovascular risk or general health and the persistent reports of some serious side effects of commonly prescribed diabetic medications, in combination with the continued success of low-carbohydrate diets in the treatment of diabetes and metabolic syndrome without significant side effects, point to the need for a reappraisal of dietary guidelines.

The benefits of carbohydrate restriction in diabetes are immediate and well-documented. Concerns about the efficacy and safety are long-term and conjectural rather than data-driven. Dietary carbohydrate restriction reliably reduces high blood glucose, does not require weight loss (although is still best for weight loss) and leads to the reduction or elimination of medication and has never shown side effects comparable to those seen in many drugs

Should Carbohydrate Restriction Be The Default Diet For Diabetes? Img_1434

Low-Carb Spaghetti Squash With Meat Sauce

The lead author is Richard Feinman. Others include Lynda Frassetto, Eric Westman, Jeff Volek, Richard Bernstein, Annika Dahlqvist, Ann Childers, and Jay Wortman, to name a few. Some of them disclose that they have accepted money from the Veronica and Robert C. Atkins Foundation. That doesn’t bother me. I’m familiar with most of the supporting literature they cite, having read it over the last decade. I agree with these guys wholeheartedly.

Read the whole enchilada.

Steve Parker, M.D.

PS: The linked article is preliminary and may undergo minor revision over the coming months."

Words and picture above are Steve Parker's ... do go across to his blog to enable you to use all links Steve gives

http://diabeticmediterraneandiet.com/2015/07/27/should-carbohydrate-restriction-be-the-default-diet-for-diabetes/

All the best Jan
    Eddie
    Eddie

Male Posts : 3807

Should Carbohydrate Restriction Be The Default Diet For Diabetes? Empty Re: Should Carbohydrate Restriction Be The Default Diet For Diabetes?

Post by Eddie Fri Aug 07 2015, 18:13

OK accuse me of shameless nepotism, ask me if I care, but this was a great post and very interesting article posted by Jan. Anyone got any thoughts?
    zand
    zand

Female Posts : 1940

Should Carbohydrate Restriction Be The Default Diet For Diabetes? Empty Re: Should Carbohydrate Restriction Be The Default Diet For Diabetes?

Post by zand Fri Aug 07 2015, 18:28

Hey I can't believe I missed this first time round! Yes great post. I couldn't quite manage the whole enchilada though, it was a bit heavy going for me. Smile

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Mar 28 2024, 23:11