THE LOW CARB DIABETIC

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
THE LOW CARB DIABETIC

Promoting a low carb high fat lifestyle for the safe control of diabetes. Eat whole fresh food, more drugs are not the answer.

Welcome to the Low Carb Diabetic forum,have you signed up yet? if not then sign up and join us in the low carb community today!

+2
OldTech
graham64
6 posters

Diabetics who skip breakfast provoke hazardous blood sugar spikes

graham64
    graham64

Male Posts : 3730

Diabetics who skip breakfast provoke hazardous blood sugar spikes Empty Diabetics who skip breakfast provoke hazardous blood sugar spikes

Post by graham64 Tue Jul 28 2015, 21:57

Type-2 diabetics who 'fast' until noon risk day-long consequences

More and more Americans on-the-go are skipping the "most important meal of the day," not eating until lunch. This tendency to miss breakfast has already been linked to the growing epidemic of obesity and cardiovascular problems in the US -- and it may put the health of diabetics at risk as well.

Very little was known regarding the effect of skipping breakfast on the health of diabetics -- until now. A new Tel Aviv University study reveals the substantial impact of skipping breakfast on type-2 diabetics. "Fasting" until noon triggers major blood sugar spikes (postprandial hyperglycemia) and impairs the insulin responses of type-2 diabetics throughout the rest of the day, researchers say.

The study was conducted by TAU's Prof. Daniela Jakubowicz and Prof. Julio Wainstein of the Wolfson Medical Center's Diabetes Unit, Prof. Oren Froy of the Hebrew University of Jerusalem, and Prof. Bo Ahrén of Lund University in Sweden. It was recently published in Diabetes Care and presented at the American Diabetes Association meeting in Boston in June 2015.

The most important meal for diabetics?

"Despite the fact that many studies have previously demonstrated the benefits of a high-caloric breakfast for weight loss and to regulate the glucose metabolism, very little was known regarding the effect of skipping breakfast on glycemic spikes after meals throughout the entire day," said Prof. Jakubowicz. "It is quite remarkable that, for type-2 diabetic individuals, the omission of breakfast is associated with a significant increase in all-day blood sugar spikes and of HbA1C, which represents average blood glucose levels over the preceding three months."

The clinical study was conducted on 22 type-2 diabetics who averaged 56.9 years old, with a mean Body Mass Index of 28.2 kg/m2. Over the course of two days, the participants consumed precisely the same number of calories and the same balanced meal -- milk, tuna, bread, and a chocolate breakfast bar -- for lunch and dinner. The only difference was that one day they ate breakfast and the second day they fasted until lunch.

"We theorized that the omission of breakfast would not be healthy, but it was surprising to see such a high degree of deterioration of glucose metabolism only because the participants did not eat breakfast," said Prof. Jakubowicz. The researchers found that participants experienced extraordinary glucose peaks of 268 mg/dl after lunch and 298 mg/dl after dinner on days they skipped breakfast, versus only 192 mg/dl, and 215 mg/dl after eating an identical lunch and dinner on days they ate breakfast.

"This means that reducing the amount of starch and sugars in lunch and dinner will have no effect on reducing elevated glucose levels if diabetic individuals also skip breakfast," said Prof. Jakubowicz.

Improving the "memory" of beta cells

According to the researchers, pancreatic beta cells which produce insulin lose their "memory" due to the prolonged period between one evening's dinner and the next day's lunch. In other words, they "forget" their vital role. Therefore it takes additional time after lunch for the beta cells to recover, causing small and delayed insulin responses and resulting in an exaggerated elevation of blood glucose levels throughout the day. Another factor is that fasting until lunch increases the fatty acids in our blood, which renders insulin ineffective in reducing blood glucose levels.

"In light of our study, we highly recommend that type-2 diabetics not skip breakfast, because it causes major damage to the beta cell function and leads to high sugar levels, even if they don't overeat at lunch and dinner," said Prof. Jakubowicz. The researchers are planning to conduct a similar study on type-1 diabetics, who require daily insulin treatment.

http://www.sciencedaily.com/
    OldTech
    OldTech

Male Posts : 81

Diabetics who skip breakfast provoke hazardous blood sugar spikes Empty Re: Diabetics who skip breakfast provoke hazardous blood sugar spikes

Post by OldTech Tue Jul 28 2015, 23:05

Interesting but I think that it only applies to diabetics that are eating enough carbs to not be in full time ketosis.

What I suspect that they have re-discovered is physiological insulin resistance (see http://high-fat-nutrition.blogspot.com/2007/10/physiological-insulin-resistance.html) due to most humans going into ketosis during the night when they are sleeping.
    Eddie
    Eddie

Male Posts : 3807

Diabetics who skip breakfast provoke hazardous blood sugar spikes Empty Re: Diabetics who skip breakfast provoke hazardous blood sugar spikes

Post by Eddie Wed Jul 29 2015, 11:23

When I started low carbing seven plus years ago my BG numbers dropped to non diabetic (mid fives) within a week. That was on 30 carbs max in those days. I fancied a go at getting into mid 4's most of the time. I tried doing away with breakfast completely, a disaster. Instead of BG going down, my BG went up, by mid morning I was seeing 7 and 8 on the meter. I put it down to not eating for around 15 hours and getting big liver dumps. Who knows, but a good reason to get back on the full Monty English breakfasts every morning.

Now this can be a pain when I have to be out early, ya gotta get up early, well Jan has. affraid

I have said all my life, you can't beat  a good woman, well, not unless she gets out of order. king
    yoly
    yoly

Post by yoly Wed Jul 29 2015, 11:34

If you are going to skip a meal the healthier to skip is dinner because it will affect less the circadian cycle. Is harder to do that skipping breakfast but its better for most. Fasting and IF work just because you are in a reduced calories diet. They have benefits and risks. In diabetics there are many different insulin functions defects so not everyone respond the same to fasting and IF. You got to be careful that by trying to "reverse" diabetes you may end up harming more your metabolism. Very few are able to reverse diabetes by losing weight or fasting and it may only last for a while if they return to eating as before. Diabetes for most is just more complex that just some insulin resistance and some fat on pancreas or liver.
    Eddie
    Eddie

Post by Eddie Wed Jul 29 2015, 12:05

yoly wrote:If you are going to skip a meal the healthier to skip is dinner because it will affect less the circadian cycle. Is harder to do that skipping breakfast but its better for most. Fasting and IF work just because you are in a reduced calories diet. They have benefits and risks. In diabetics there are many different insulin functions defects so not everyone respond the same to fasting and IF. You got to be careful that by trying to "reverse" diabetes you may end up harming more your metabolism. Very few are able to reverse diabetes by losing weight or fasting and it may only last for a while if they return to eating as before. Diabetes for most is just more complex that just some insulin resistance and some fat on pancreas or liver.

"Very few are able to reverse diabetes by losing weight or fasting and it may only last for a while if they return to eating as before."

I agree 100% type two diabetes can be reversed as far as the the most dangerous symptoms apply such as high BG and a very poor lipid panel. But when you find something that works, you have to stick with it. I do not believe there are any short term fixes (including the Newcastle diet) that carry on working and that includes most type two diabetes medications. The low carb way has to be for life and as with all things in life, nothing is guaranteed to work for ever.
    chris c
    chris c

Post by chris c Thu Aug 06 2015, 19:53

Just so long as you don't eat the Diabetic Breakfast as recommended in the leaflet I was given
    a bowl of oatmeal with a banana and low fat milk
    a slice of wholemeal toast with low fat spread and no-sugar-added marmalade
    a glass of no-sugar-added orange juice
    Any one of those items would spike my BG to 10 or more, all of them together would be horrendous
    I mostly eat an oatcake (6g carbs) with butter and smoked salmon plus maybe some nuts or salad
    That pretty much nails my BG until I eat my main meal any time between late afternoon and late evening no matter what I do.
    I used to never know if my BG would drop or go up while fasting (for blood tests), nowadays it mainly doesn't spike even if I don't eat, which is a long term improvement, but I do get hungry without something.
    Eddie
    Eddie

Post by Eddie Fri Aug 07 2015, 12:25

chris c wrote:Just so long as you don't eat the Diabetic Breakfast as recommended in the leaflet I was given
    a bowl of oatmeal with a banana and low fat milk
    a slice of wholemeal toast with low fat spread and no-sugar-added marmalade
    a glass of no-sugar-added orange juice
    Any one of those items would spike my BG to 10 or more, all of them together would be horrendous
    I mostly eat an oatcake (6g carbs) with butter and smoked salmon plus maybe some nuts or salad
    That pretty much nails my BG until I eat my main meal any time between late afternoon and late evening no matter what I do.
    I used to never know if my BG would drop or go up while fasting (for blood tests), nowadays it mainly doesn't spike even if I don't eat, which is a long term improvement, but I do get hungry without something.

The above is exactly my experiences re. the so often recommended diet from the NHS,DUK,BDA etc. Almost all the type two diabetics I know are non insulin injecting. I do not know one who could eat the breakfast listed at the start of your post and hold safe numbers. Also, the high numbers would take far to long to get back to BG 6 or better.
    chris c
    chris c

Post by chris c Fri Aug 07 2015, 19:07

Eddie wrote:
    The above is exactly my experiences re. the so often recommended diet from the NHS,DUK,BDA etc. Almost all the type two diabetics I know are non insulin injecting. I do not know one who could eat the breakfast listed at the start of your post and hold safe numbers. Also, the high numbers would take far to long to get back to BG 6 or better.

I think it's not meant to. Eugenics comes to mind. People who can't eat enough carbs to be profitable meed to be removed from the gene pool.
    If you want to know why I believe that, look out my back window. Hectares of wheat, rape, sugar beet, potatoes, barley . . . and tucked in between, a few small farms doing grass fed beef, sheep, free range pigs and various salad crops and vegetables.
    Only a few years back, the farmers I know were being paid £30 - £50/tonne LESS than the cost of production for their wheat. And look on the current news for what's occurring to dairy farmers. One of ours was on Panorama as he gave up the dairy (he turned to grass fed beef so no great loss). Recently a new dairy farm started up but they had enough capital to turn the milk into cream, ice cream, cheese and market it themselves.
    At least there is a field of peas for freezing - one of the few "processed" foods that's actually better than the real thing - IF you can handle the carb load.
    zand
    zand

Female Posts : 1940

Post by zand Fri Aug 07 2015, 19:17

Well no-one's removing me from the ruddy gene pool Evil or Very Mad

I normally have breakfast, but sometimes it's later than others. It's still breakfast though and I haven't noticed my BG's suffering when breakfast is at 11.55. Smile

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 19 2024, 14:59