THE LOW CARB DIABETIC

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
THE LOW CARB DIABETIC

Promoting a low carb high fat lifestyle for the safe control of diabetes. Eat whole fresh food, more drugs are not the answer.

Welcome to the Low Carb Diabetic forum,have you signed up yet? if not then sign up and join us in the low carb community today!

+7
Scandichic
Avocado Sevenfold
Jan1
cold ethyl
sanguine
Thundercat
graham64
11 posters

Going back in time what were your earliest musical influences

graham64
    graham64

Male Posts : 3730

Going back in time what were your earliest musical influences Empty Going back in time what were your earliest musical influences

Post by graham64 Fri Aug 29 2014, 22:43

Showing may age a bit but this song by Buddy Holly was my introduction to pop music.

Thundercat
    Thundercat

Female Posts : 15

Going back in time what were your earliest musical influences Empty Re: Going back in time what were your earliest musical influences

Post by Thundercat Sat Aug 30 2014, 00:30

I have a fairly eclectic taste in music but my biggest love is 70's rock. Born in '73 so it was playing to me from birth! The first album I ever bought was a T-Rex compilation album.
    sanguine
    sanguine

Male Posts : 395

Going back in time what were your earliest musical influences Empty Re: Going back in time what were your earliest musical influences

Post by sanguine Sat Aug 30 2014, 09:40

My parents were both musicians, Mum was a Grade 8 pianist and percussionist, Dad played jazz trumpet and classical French horn. Apparently they played Sibelius to me while I was still in the womb to try and instil classical music into me Shocked So I grew up listening to Dad's records and Mum playing piano. I was 'encouraged' to play cello as a child - got to Grade 4 and decided it wasn't for me. Should have chosen flute instead. Mum never suggested she teach me piano, something I regret now.

The first records I bought were 'Can't buy me love' by the Beatles, and a Searchers EP. In the sixth form and at uni I got into Prog Rock (most of which has dated terribly, with a couple of noble exceptions), modern jazz (but I hate 'trad') and later, post-punk and indie rock, even trip-hop. And there was always modern classical bubbling in the background.
    cold ethyl

Post by cold ethyl Sat Aug 30 2014, 10:16

I was obsessed with Justin Hayward having seen him in TOTP doing Forever Autumn then hearing Nights in White Satin on the Sunday radio show that Jimmy Savile did so my youth was spent buying their back catalogue whilst the punk wars raged all around me. Then I got into Rush and Zeppelin, neil Young and was a rock chick for years. Branched out into the likes of early U2 and The Waterboys at uni then REM. latterly it had been British Sea Power who I have sen over 80 times ( some fans I know into the 300 gigs) and current favourites, gloomy post-rock outfit, I LIKE TRAINS.
    sanguine
    sanguine

Male Posts : 395

Post by sanguine Sat Aug 30 2014, 10:37

I've never heard of I Like Trains CE - just checked them out and listened to The Christmas Tree Ship, very nice.

cold ethyl

Post by cold ethyl Sat Aug 30 2014, 10:46

sanguine wrote:I've never heard of I Like Trains CE - just checked them out and listened to The Christmas Tree Ship, very nice.

They are great. Off to see them in Wakefield soon at a festival. I know how to live.
    Jan1
    Jan1

Female Posts : 5094

Post by Jan1 Sat Aug 30 2014, 13:13

Growing up there was always music in the family. My dad played drums, but of the marching kind. My mum was always singing as was my Gran. If they forgot the words or the tune then they would make up their own. I'm a bit like that too - I love singing only wish my voice was lots better (as do the rest of the family).

We had a great mix of music from easy listening like Mantovani, Burt Bacharach, to classical like Mozart and Bach, then there was C & W like Jim Reeves, not forgetting Military Marches, and Connie Francis. In fact looking back it was a wonderful collection.

The first records I bought were Beatles and Elvis - saving up pocket money .....ah those were the days.

I can also remember listening to Radio Luxembourg and that signal that always used to come and go ........

Great times and Great Tunes sunny

All the best Jan
    Avocado Sevenfold
    Avocado Sevenfold

Female Posts : 258

Post by Avocado Sevenfold Sat Aug 30 2014, 13:15

First 45 owned: "I can do it" by the Rubettes

First LP owned: "Rollin'" by Bay City Rollers

First CD bought: "Peggy Suicide" by Julian Cope

Next CD: "World on Fire" by Slash with Myles Kennedy (on pre-order from Amazon woop!)

I think my taste is improving with age Very Happy
    Scandichic
    Scandichic

Female Posts : 109

Post by Scandichic Sat Aug 30 2014, 14:12

Don't know if I dare post this but my first albums were ABBA the album and David Soul. My excuse is I was about 4 or 5. Still like ABBA. I have very eclectic tastes so ranging from Kate Bush to The Darkness to the Beetles. Most of my music collection is on iTunes! It's massive and my one regret is that I didn't get a bigger iPhone! I tend to like songs rather than artists. Blondie is also a firm fave as well! It depends on my mood!
    Paul1976
    Paul1976

Male Posts : 2439

Post by Paul1976 Sat Aug 30 2014, 14:22

Scandichic wrote:Don't know if I dare post this but my first albums were ABBA the album and David Soul. My excuse is I was about 4 or 5. Still like ABBA. I have very eclectic tastes so ranging from Kate Bush to The Darkness to the Beetles. Most of my music collection is on iTunes! It's massive and my one regret is that I didn't get a bigger iPhone! I tend to like songs rather than artists. Blondie is also a firm fave as well! It depends on my mood!

I love ABBA and the Beatles too! My first 45 single though was a track called 'Japanese Boy' (can't remember the name of the artist) God knows why I liked it so much then but I drove my parents mad until they gave in and bought a copy! I also liked 'Shakin' Stevens as a kid too! affraid
    Scandichic
    Scandichic

Female Posts : 109

Post by Scandichic Sat Aug 30 2014, 14:39

paul1976 wrote:
    Scandichic wrote:Don't know if I dare post this but my first albums were ABBA the album and David Soul. My excuse is I was about 4 or 5. Still like ABBA. I have very eclectic tastes so ranging from Kate Bush to The Darkness to the Beetles. Most of my music collection is on iTunes! It's massive and my one regret is that I didn't get a bigger iPhone! I tend to like songs rather than artists. Blondie is also a firm fave as well! It depends on my mood!

I love ABBA and the Beatles too! My first 45 single though was a track called 'Japanese Boy' (can't remember the name of the artist) God knows why I liked it so much then but I drove my parents mad until they gave in and bought a copy! I also liked 'Shakin' Stevens as a kid too! affraid
    Aneka!
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=nCH1IlOfDTM
    Paul1976
    Paul1976

Male Posts : 2439

Post by Paul1976 Sat Aug 30 2014, 17:43

Scandichic wrote:
    paul1976 wrote:

Aneka!
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=nCH1IlOfDTM

My God! That brings back some memories! Cheers Scandi! Smile
    Eddie
    Eddie

Male Posts : 3807

Post by Eddie Sat Aug 30 2014, 18:17

All sorts of music influenced me since I was a kid, listening to my long passed away mum singing. When I started work this guy and Otis Redding was top of my record buying list.

How many kids realise, how many black singers, musicians and song writers have influenced, and led the way for close to a hundred years in popular music. Gospel, Blues, Rock and Roll, Jazz, Reggae, Soul, Rap, Hip Hop etc. the list is very long.

Regards Eddie
    mo1905
    mo1905

Male Posts : 2305

Post by mo1905 Sun Aug 31 2014, 08:55

My earliest musical memories were probably from my Dad. Sunday afternoons the Bush cassette player came out and it was usually Johnny Cash, Al Jolson or Frank Sinatra. If he'd been drinking, we'd have to endure Irish Folk songs lol ! I think my first musical loves were Elvis Presley and then David Bowie. Strange, but as I get older, I have reverted back to what my Dad used to listen too, amongst others. Here is one of my late Dad's fave's :-)

Jan1
    Jan1

Female Posts : 5094

Post by Jan1 Mon Sep 01 2014, 17:22

There certainly has been and still is some great music out there for all tastes. Seeing as it's 1st September today, and the BBC weatherman was talking about the first day of Autumn .... how about the song 'Autumn Leaves'. Countless versions around but I like this version the most.

All the best Jan
    zand
    zand

Female Posts : 1940

Post by zand Mon Sep 01 2014, 18:08

I remember my Dad playing this one - I think I've still got it in the attic somewhere.

And then there was Ruby Murray "When Irish Eyes are Smiling" and "Danny Boy". No, my Dad wasn't Irish, he just liked Ruby Murray.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 19 2024, 10:28