The Low Carb Diabetic

Promoting a low carb high fat lifestyle for the safe control of diabetes. Eat whole fresh food, more drugs are not the answer.

Welcome to the Low Carb Diabetic forum,have you signed up yet? if not then sign up and join us in the low carb community today!

High Fat, Normal Fat

Sally

High Fat, Normal Fat

Post by Sally on Sun May 10 2015, 18:36

On another forum, elsewhere on the internet, there is one of those discussions going on about "high fat". The person who has been recommended a Low Carb High Fat diet is coming up with the usual replies along the lines of "I couldn't possibly eat high fat ……. I'm watching my weight/cholesterol ….. my diabetic nurse has told me to avoid fat …. etc". Someone else has replied that it is not "high fat", it's just "Normal Fat" that is needed.

This got me thinking. How old do you have to be to remember "Normal Fat". I'd guess mid-50's at least. My grandmother used to say, beaming with pride as she put a dish on the table, "It's got 6 eggs in it …..". Do you remember the precious cream off the top of the milk? Cooking with lard? Not removing fat at every opportunity. Years of indoctrination have been difficult to throw off, but, if you remember that what we are doing is reverting to the normal, rather than indulging in an excess, it can be easier to understand.

Sally
    zand

Female Posts : 1940

Re: High Fat, Normal Fat

Post by zand on Sun May 10 2015, 18:47

Yes that's so true Sally. We have all got used to 'low fat' so have in turn have called normal fat 'high fat'. That does make a lot of sense. If it's normal to eat fat, then the amount isn't such an issue.

I think you are right; you would need to be in your mid 50's to remember normal fat. I remember my mother talking about 'low-fat faddy rubbish'. Seems she was right. Smile
    Jan1

Female Posts : 4400

Post by Jan1 on Mon May 11 2015, 14:06

These are the sort of healthy fats I eat ...

My Grandma lived to  the ripe old age of 99yrs - she enjoyed butter, lard, eggs and loved the full cream fat on top of the milk!

All the best Jan
    mo1905

Male Posts : 2303

Post by mo1905 on Mon May 11 2015, 16:13

Just saw this link regarding butter & margarine on FB !

"Having Worked at Unilevers Premier Margarine Factory in the UK for 1 Year, as a Management Trainee, and then in Sri Lanka Managing Margarine Manufacture, I can safely admit that what you are about to read is true !!

Pass The Butter ... Please.

This is interesting . .. .

Margarine was originally manufactured to fatten turkeys. When it killed the turkeys, the people who had put all the money into the research wanted a payback so they put their heads together to figure out what to do with this product to get their money back.

It was a white substance with no food appeal so they added the yellow colouring and sold it to people to use in place of butter. How do you like it? They have come out with some clever new flavourings....

DO YOU KNOW.. The difference between margarine and butter?

Read on to the end...gets very interesting!

Both have the same amount of calories.
    Butter is slightly higher in saturated fats at 8 grams; compared to 5 grams for margarine.

Eating margarine can increase heart disease in women by 53% over eating the same amount of butter, according to a recent Harvard Medical Study.

Eating butter increases the absorption of many other nutrients in other foods.
    Butter has many nutritional benefits where margarine has a few and only because they are added!

Butter tastes much better than margarine and it can enhance the flavours of other foods.

Butter has been around for centuries where margarine has been around for less than 100 years .

And now, for Margarine..

Very High in Trans fatty acids.

Triples risk of coronary heart disease ...

Increases total cholesterol and LDL (this is the bad cholesterol) and lowers HDL cholesterol, (the good cholesterol)

Increases the risk of cancers up to five times..

Lowers quality of breast milk

Decreases immune response.

Decreases insulin response.

And here's the most disturbing fact... HERE IS THE PART THAT IS VERY INTERESTING!

Margarine is but ONE MOLECULE away from being PLASTIC... and shares 27 ingredients with PAINT.

These facts alone were enough to have me avoiding margarine for life and anything else that is hydrogenated (this means hydrogen is added, changing the molecular structure of the substance).

Open a tub of margarine and leave it open in your garage or shaded area. Within a couple of days you will notice a couple of things:

* no flies, not even those pesky fruit flies will go near it (that should tell you something)

* it does not rot or smell differently because it has no nutritional value ; nothing will grow on it. Even those teeny weeny microorganisms will not a find a home to grow.

Why? Because it is nearly plastic . Would you melt your Tupperware and spread that on your toast?

Share This With Your Friends.....(If you want to butter them up')!

Chinese Proverb:
    When someone shares something of value with you and you benefit from it, you have a moral obligation to share it with others.

Pass the BUTTER PLEASE"

Male Posts : 3161

Post by graham64 on Mon May 11 2015, 21:59

I can remember my mum leaving cups out for the milkman to put on the milk bottles to keep the bluetits off. Lard and beef dripping were used for cooking and apart the period of rationing when we could not get it butter was also used a lot.

Proving the LowCarb sceptics wrong for over nine years,

Not all cherubs are Angels  Wink nor all diabetics Bonkers  Rolling Eyes
    Jan1

Female Posts : 4400

Post by Jan1 on Tue May 12 2015, 11:59

You can definitely Pass ME the Butter PLEASE sunny

I have noticed recently that more of our supermarkets are actually including butter in their 'special' offers, which is good.

All the best Jan

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon Jan 22 2018, 10:20