The Low Carb Diabetic

Promoting a low carb high fat lifestyle for the safe control of diabetes. Eat whole fresh food, more drugs are not the answer.

Welcome to the Low Carb Diabetic forum,have you signed up yet? if not then sign up and join us in the low carb community today!

The Food Programme - 26.4.15

Sarah

The Food Programme - 26.4.15

Post by Sarah on Sun Apr 26 2015, 14:27

Today's Food Programme, BBC radio 4 - listen and gnash teeth or weep. Ex DUK dietician Azmina Govindji  ' Open a can of sweetcorn to have with your ready meal' one of gems 'carbs are not the enemy' 'Low gi carbs good' Evil or Very Mad

DUK rep - lowcarb short period of time to lose weight, then on about heart disease etc due to high fat and protein. Questions asked re. links with sponsors - Tesco (healthier food choices) Give me a break!

Dr Hilary Jones  Twisted Evil

B******S!

And JP Devlin, type 1 who doesn't like to be associated with Type 2s, inference being it is our fault through lifestyle choices........................

Sarah

banghead
    Davey_Mc

Male Posts : 4

Re: The Food Programme - 26.4.15

Post by Davey_Mc on Sun Apr 26 2015, 14:45

Oh no! What a car crash of a listen that will be,I'll make sure the wife and bairns aren't in the same room if I tune in because aye,the air will be blue! banghead
    Eddie

Male Posts : 3804

Post by Eddie on Sun Apr 26 2015, 14:50

I would not expect anything else from those promoters of the diet of slow death merchants. Black ops outfits for big pharma and junk food.

DUK The diabetes charity.

Abbott Bayer Boehringer Ingelheim Bristol Myers Squibb Bupa Bunzl Everyclick First Capital Connect Flora pro.activ Kodak Lilly Lloyds Pharmacy Menarini Merck Serono Morphy Richards Merck Sharp & Dohme Limited Novartis Novo Nordisk Nursing Times PAL Technologies Ltd Pfizer Rowlands Pharmacies Sanofi-aventis SplendaTakeda Tesco Diets

HEART UK -The Nation’s Cholesterol Charity

Abbott Healthcare Alpro UK AstraZeneca BHR Pharma Cambridge Weight Plan Cereal Partners UK (Sh Wheat) Food & Drink Federation Fresenius Medical Care (UK) Limited Genzyme Therapeutics Hovis Kellogg’s (Optivita) Kowa Pharmaceutical Europe Co Limited L.IN.C Medical Systems Limited Merck Sharpe & Dhome PlanMyFood Pfizer Premier Foods Progenika Biopharma s.a. Roche Products Limited Unilever (Flora) Welch’s (Purple Grape Juice)

The British Nutrition Foundation

However, the organisation's 39 members, which contribute to its funding, include – beside the Government, the EU – Cadbury, Kellogg's, Northern Foods, McDonald's, PizzaExpress, the main supermarket chains except Tesco, and producer bodies such as the Potato Council. The chairman of its board of trustees, Paul Hebblethwaite, is also chairman of the Biscuit, Cake, Chocolate and Confectionery Trade Association.

The European Food Information Council

Current EUFIC members are: AB Sugar, Ajinomoto Sweeteners Europe, Bunge, Cargill, Cereal Partners, Coca-Cola, Danone, DSM Nutritional Products Europe Ltd., Ferrero, Kraft Foods, Mars, McDonald's, Nestlé, PepsiCo, Pfizer Animal Health, Südzucker, and Unilever.

The British Heart Foundation

Unilever Flora margarine.

Type two diabetic-low carb diet (50 carbs per day) and two 500mg Metformin pills per day. Apart from diagnosis HbA1c almost 12-all HbA1c results none diabetic. For over eight years my diabetes medication has not changed. My weight has remained stable, I have suffered no ill effects from my diet whatsoever. Every blood test has proved, I took the right road to my diabetic salvation. For almost seven years, I have asked medical professionals and naysayers, how do I maintain non diabetic BG levels on two Metformin other than low carb ? The silence has been deafening !
    Paul1976

Male Posts : 2436

Post by Paul1976 on Sun Apr 26 2015, 14:52

Good lord!! How much longer are these idiots going to cling onto and spout this tripe? Shocked Oh yeah,my bad,as long as the cash cow keeps 'Mooing'!

Female Posts : 4667

Post by Jan1 on Sun Apr 26 2015, 15:14

Does money come before health? It certainly appears to do so ... that is why our voices need to be heard - people need to be aware there are wiser and healthier choices available Smile

All the best Jan
    graham64

Male Posts : 3488

Post by graham64 on Sun Apr 26 2015, 22:33

Just listened to this on BBC iplayer http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b05rl3jb it just the same old tripe trotted out by DUK over the years, us diabetics should follow the same healthy diet as the rest of the population and that is based on the high carb low fat eatwell plate affraid 

• Fruit and vegetables: 33%

• Bread, rice, potatoes pasta and other starchy foods: 33%

• Milk and other dairy products : 15%

• Meat, fish, egg, beans and other non-diary sources of protein: 12%

• Foods and drinks high in fat or sugar: 7%

http://www.newhealthguide.org/The-Eatwell-Plate-Percentages.html

Proving the LowCarb sceptics wrong for over ten years

Not all cherubs are Angels  Wink nor all diabetics Bonkers  Rolling Eyes
    Eddie

Post by Eddie on Mon Apr 27 2015, 14:24

On twitter today re. the lamentable program yesterday.

Type two diabetic-low carb diet (50 carbs per day) and two 500mg Metformin pills per day. Apart from diagnosis HbA1c almost 12-all HbA1c results none diabetic. For over eight years my diabetes medication has not changed. My weight has remained stable, I have suffered no ill effects from my diet whatsoever. Every blood test has proved, I took the right road to my diabetic salvation. For almost seven years, I have asked medical professionals and naysayers, how do I maintain non diabetic BG levels on two Metformin other than low carb ? The silence has been deafening !
    Paul1976

Post by Paul1976 on Mon Apr 27 2015, 14:48

LOL! How long before they run scared and block you? bitenails lol! Upper limit of 58? My arse!!!

Post by Eddie on Mon Apr 27 2015, 15:13

@Paul1976 wrote:LOL! How long before they run scared and block you? bitenails lol!  Upper limit of 58? My arse!!!

Evidently diet and the grim BG numbers are nothing to do with them. Although the BG numbers are on the BDA site.

Eddie

Post by Eddie on Mon Apr 27 2015, 15:58

@Paul1976 wrote:LOL! How long before they run scared and block you? bitenails lol!  Upper limit of 58? My arse!!!

Link to the very poor info here. https://www.bda.uk.com/foodfacts/diabetestype2

Paul1976

Post by Paul1976 on Mon Apr 27 2015, 16:11

No wonder my nurse tried (and failed) to say that my last A1c of 66 wasn't really bad at all and it's quite good control! Evil or Very Mad yeah right! Average BG's in double figures is fine and dandy? Bullshit or what!!

Post by Eddie on Mon Apr 27 2015, 16:14

@Paul1976 wrote:No wonder my nurse tried (and failed) to say that my last A1c of 66 wasn't really bad at all and it's quite good control! Evil or Very Mad yeah right! Average BG's in double figures is fine and dandy? Bullshit or what!!

The thing is you look at the NHS stats you can see why she thinks it's ok.

Results for England. The National Diabetes Audit 2010-2011

Percentage of registered Type 1 patients in England

HbA1c > 6.5% (48 mmol/mol) = 92.6%
    HbA1c > 7.5% (58 mmol/mol) = 71.3%
    HbA1c > 10.0% (86 mmol/mol) = 18.1%

Percentage of registered Type 2 patients in England

HbA1c > 6.5% (48 mmol/mol = 72.5%
    HbA1c > 7.5% (58 mmol/mol) = 32.6%
    HbA1c >10.0% (86 mmol/mol) = 6.8%

These results are very similar to those obtained in previous NHS audits over the past 5 - 6 years.

Link to NHS Stats.

http://www.hscic.gov.uk/media/10747/National-Diabetes-Audit-2010-2011-Report-on-Care-Processes-and-Treatment-Targets/pdf/National_Diabetes_Audit_2010_2011_Report1_Care_Processes_And_Treatment_Targets_V4.pdf

Eddie

Post by Eddie on Mon Apr 27 2015, 18:52

graham64

Male Posts : 3488

Post by graham64 on Mon Apr 27 2015, 21:27

Wonder just how much these dietitians cost the NHS, their advice can only mean a high dependency on drugs for those Type 2s who follow the high carb low fat dietary guidelines, though no doubt it will keep  big pharma and the food industry happy $$$$$$$$$$ 

Cuddly dietitians in cosy embrace of industry fat cats

If this blog included cartoons, the one illustrating this post would show a small mouse-like dietitian held in the fearsome claws of a vast and grinning fat cat wearing a suit covered in brand names such as Coca-Cola, Mars, Nestlé, Unilever Foods and WK Kellogg Institute.

The dietician’s speech bubble would read: ‘It’s OK I’ve got it under control.’ It would be captioned: ‘The delusion of the dietitians’.

This is the picture of the true nature of the relationship between industry and our nutritional experts that emerges from a forensic analysis published last month in the BMJ (British Medical Journal); Sugar: spinning a web of influence.) It comes in four parts and is, sadly, behind the BMJ paywall.

Written by Jonathan Gornall, it set out in impressive detail just how total is the industry’s dominance over what passes for public health food policy in the UK and just how comprehensively the government’s Responsibility Deal has failed.

http://healthinsightuk.org/

Proving the LowCarb sceptics wrong for over ten years

Not all cherubs are Angels  Wink nor all diabetics Bonkers  Rolling Eyes

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Jul 19 2018, 14:36