THE LOW CARB DIABETIC

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
THE LOW CARB DIABETIC

Promoting a low carb high fat lifestyle for the safe control of diabetes. Eat whole fresh food, more drugs are not the answer.

Welcome to the Low Carb Diabetic forum,have you signed up yet? if not then sign up and join us in the low carb community today!

5 posters

David Unwin to get low carb case study in BMJ

sanguine
    sanguine

Male Posts : 395

David Unwin to get low carb case study in BMJ Empty David Unwin to get low carb case study in BMJ

Post by sanguine Sat Mar 28 2015, 17:49

Mud Island Dweller
    Mud Island Dweller

Female Posts : 228

David Unwin to get low carb case study in BMJ Empty Re: David Unwin to get low carb case study in BMJ

Post by Mud Island Dweller Sat Mar 28 2015, 18:20

He is brilliant :-D
    Paul1976
    Paul1976

Male Posts : 2439

David Unwin to get low carb case study in BMJ Empty Re: David Unwin to get low carb case study in BMJ

Post by Paul1976 Sat Mar 28 2015, 18:37

Cue the 'Usual suspects' trying to derail Dr Unwins post later Rolling Eyes If that happens maybe we should overload the system with mass reporting as if it's fair game by them-then it's fair game by us I reckon!
    Jan1
    Jan1

Female Posts : 5094

Post by Jan1 Sat Mar 28 2015, 18:45

Well I'm going to be 'politically incorrect' and post what Southport GP posted, after all it is in the public domain. Smile

"Low Carb case to be in British Medical Journal, the fourth most important medical journal in the world

As part of my campaign to bring this approach to the notice of the medical establishment I have preliminary agreement to publication of a 2000 word article featuring someone with type two diabetes who used the low carb diet. The patient achieved steady weight loss over seven months, totaling an amazing 16Kg and successfully stopped all four prescribed drugs. A theme of the piece is patient choice and possible alternatives to medication.

The weight loss has been maintained for over a year, so he weighs less now than at any time in his adult life. The goal of coming off all four medications (Aspirin 75mg once daily. Metformin 500mg three times a day. Perindopril 4mg daily. Simvastatin 40 mg at night) was achieved in a stepwise manner as he lost weight; first metformin, then the perindopril followed by the simvastatin and aspirin.

The weight loss has been matched by improvements in other parameters:

HbA1c down from 52 to 43mmol/mol (6.9% to 6.2%).This despite coming off metformin!

BP from 130/80 to 117/70mmHg.This despite coming off perindopril

Improvements in liver function;GGT down from 59 to 19u/L, ALT down from 53 to 20u/L.

Of particular note is that despite more eggs, lots of full-fat Greek yoghurt and stopping statins his cholesterol/HDL ratio has improved slightly from 2.8 to 2.7, and the serum triglyceride improved from 1.3mmol/L to 1.1mmol/L.

My carbohydrates, diabetes and the liver work is awaiting peer review and the editor’s decision. I hope that soon I can share it with you all. Prof Feinman from New York heard of my work and volunteered to help. He is much respected in the low-carb field and agrees with me that carbs are the cause of three epidemics; obesity, diabetes and non-alcoholic fatty liver disease which is hardly talked about, even though it affects 20% of adults in the the developed world.
    I hope more anon!"

It is so important that the LCHF news is kept in the news and offered as a viable option, only then can the individual have the chance to know what is available.

All the best Jan
    graham64
    graham64

Male Posts : 3730

Post by graham64 Sat Mar 28 2015, 23:00

That's good news Jan cheers Just don't tell Sid he might go err! Bonkers  Laughing

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue Mar 19 2024, 10:05