THE LOW CARB DIABETIC

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
THE LOW CARB DIABETIC

Promoting a low carb high fat lifestyle for the safe control of diabetes. Eat whole fresh food, more drugs are not the answer.

Welcome to the Low Carb Diabetic forum,have you signed up yet? if not then sign up and join us in the low carb community today!

5 posters

Absolutely livid!

Scandichic
    Scandichic

Female Posts : 109

Absolutely livid! Empty Absolutely livid!

Post by Scandichic Sat Aug 23 2014, 22:28

Just looked up the forum to see how quickly it came up. Very is the answer. In the process, there was a link to everybody's fave forum diabetes uk. So I had a look at the article and it made me rant! Absolutely disgraceful! Read this! First of all, the research they quote only goes up tp 2009! Sorry! So no research of any value has been done since then? Unbelievable!
    http://www.diabetes.org.uk/About_us/What-we-say/Food-nutrition-lifestyle/Low-carbohydrate-diets-for-people-with-Type-2-diabetes/
    Andy12345
    Andy12345

Male Posts : 1646

Absolutely livid! Empty Re: Absolutely livid!

Post by Andy12345 Sat Aug 23 2014, 22:31

and this is the "important" diabetes voice in the uk lol
    Andy12345
    Andy12345

Male Posts : 1646

Post by Andy12345 Sat Aug 23 2014, 22:47

i have to stop looking at that its a disgrace for sure

", debate has arisen about whether this approach is both safe and effective. "
    graham64
    graham64

Male Posts : 3730

Post by graham64 Sat Aug 23 2014, 23:56

Diabetes UK has concluded that:

Evidence exists suggesting that low-carbohydrate diets can lead to improvements in HbA1c and reductions in body weight in the short term (less than one year).

My anecdotal evidence from over six years of LowCarb shows that improvements in HbAic can be sustained in the long term.

Weight loss from a low-carbohydrate diet may be due to a reduced calorie intake and not specifically as a result of the carbohydrate reduction associated with this diet.
    Despite the short-term benefit there is a lack of evidence related to long-term safety and benefit of following this diet.

As I never had weight to lose I find it difficult to maintain weight on LowCarb  despite a high calorie diet.

No consideration is given to energy requirements and carbohydrates by DUK and the NHS, I need over 3000 cal daily of which at least 50% should be carbs that equates to 375g a day

As for lack of evidence I love to see evidence of the benefits of  DUK's dietary guidelines being beneficial over the long term for Type 2 diabetics, as far as I'm concerned the only beneficiaries are Big Pharma.
    Xyz

Female Posts : 66

Post by Xyz Sun Aug 24 2014, 00:17

There's another way of looking at it.
    They cannot do a 100% about turn - it is a matter of face-saving and being afraid of losing public confidence.
    This is a clear step in the right direction.
    By not reviewing evidence since 2009, they can update their findings after a suitable adjustment period - to take another step.

Also, low carb is not 'the holy grail' and we should not set it up that way. It is great. It is how I have eaten for years. But it is not the One True Way. Claiming that it is actually drives people away rather than bringing them closer.
    Scandichic
    Scandichic

Post by Scandichic Sun Aug 24 2014, 00:27

The thing that really pushed my buttons was the dates of the research. The research goes to 2009. We are now 5 years further on!!!!!
    They keep mentioning avoiding ketosis. Why? Oh yeah. Hypos. But wait.... There's no need for T2 to test(tongue in cheek) because we all know you can't go hypo on metformin!  lol! 
    And as for T1. You can inject so why would you want as there's no benefit!  affraid 
    Unbelievable. Bet a few type 1 have a few things to say about that!
    Scandichic
    Scandichic

Post by Scandichic Sun Aug 24 2014, 00:29

Brunneria wrote:There's another way of looking at it.
    They cannot do a 100% about turn - it is a matter of face-saving and being afraid of losing public confidence.
    This is a clear step in the right direction.
    By not reviewing evidence since 2009, they can update their findings after a suitable adjustment period - to take another step.

Also, low carb is not 'the holy grail' and we should not set it up that way.  It is great.  It is how I have eaten for years.  But it is not the One True Way.  Claiming that it is actually drives people away rather than bringing them closer.
    hadnt thought about the updating findings aspect!
    Love new variation of avatar!  Very Happy 
    Xyz

Female Posts : 66

Post by Xyz Sun Aug 24 2014, 08:02

Scandichic wrote:

It certainly isn't very well written, is it?

Mind you, when it started chuntering on about ketosis, I was expecting the usual twaddle about how ketosis is soooo bad for you.  Pleasantly surprised to see none of that.

And it was quite amusing to read that their main reason for type 1s not to LC was because their dosage would change and they would need ongoing support and supervision.

Gosh, does that mean type 1s need ongoing support and supervision every time they change their carb intake?  Or does it mean that type 1s are usually denied support and supervision, and extra expensive services would need to be set up?

(Re avatar, it appears I am quite photogenic, and now have a full wardobe of options...  Wink 
    Eddie
    Eddie

Male Posts : 3807

Post by Eddie Sun Aug 24 2014, 09:15

"And it was quite amusing to read that their main reason for type 1s not to LC was because their dosage would change and they would need ongoing support and supervision."

What a tragedy for type one diabetics if they had to change their dosage eh ! they might use far less insulin, they may well get far more predictable control, and think of the loss of revenue for some of diabetes UK's main funders, big pharma.

DUK The diabetes charity.

Abbott Bayer Boehringer Ingelheim Bristol Myers Squibb Bupa Bunzl Everyclick First Capital Connect Flora pro.activ Kodak Lilly Lloyds Pharmacy Menarini Merck Serono Morphy Richards Merck Sharp & Dohme Limited Novartis Novo Nordisk Nursing Times PAL Technologies Ltd Pfizer Rowlands Pharmacies Sanofi-aventis SplendaTakeda Tesco Diets

Kind regards Eddie
    Scandichic
    Scandichic

Post by Scandichic Sun Aug 24 2014, 10:19

eddie1 wrote:"And it was quite amusing to read that their main reason for type 1s not to LC was because their dosage would change and they would need ongoing support and supervision."

What a tragedy for type one diabetics if they had to change their dosage eh ! they might use far less insulin, they may well get far more predictable control, and think of the loss of revenue for some of diabetes UK's main funders, big pharma.

DUK The diabetes charity.

Abbott Bayer Boehringer Ingelheim Bristol Myers Squibb Bupa Bunzl Everyclick First Capital Connect Flora pro.activ Kodak Lilly Lloyds Pharmacy Menarini Merck Serono Morphy Richards Merck Sharp & Dohme Limited Novartis Novo Nordisk Nursing Times PAL Technologies Ltd Pfizer Rowlands Pharmacies Sanofi-aventis SplendaTakeda Tesco Diets

Kind regards Eddie
    Just read a bit more of their site. I really shouldn't because it just makes me hopping mad! Did reply but post gone missing. The dietary advice is frightening. 45-60% carb per day. Then they talk about only small amounts of food which are high in sugar or fat. They don't seem to have made the link between high sugar and carbs like pasta which are converted into simple sugar when consumed making them just as bad if not worse!
    Scandichic
    Scandichic

Post by Scandichic Sun Aug 24 2014, 10:22

Brunneria wrote:
    Scandichic wrote:

It certainly isn't very well written, is it?

Mind you, when it started chuntering on about ketosis, I was expecting the usual twaddle about how ketosis is soooo bad for you.  Pleasantly surprised to see none of that.

And it was quite amusing to read that their main reason for type 1s not to LC was because their dosage would change and they would need ongoing support and supervision.

Gosh, does that mean type 1s need ongoing support and supervision every time they change their carb intake?  Or does it mean that type 1s are usually denied support and supervision, and extra expensive services would need to be set up?

(Re avatar, it appears I am quite photogenic, and now have a full wardobe of options...  Wink 
    Replied but appears to have gone AWOL!
    Love new avatar! Would quite like to swap mine for the hello boys piccies but feel that people might not get my wicked sense of humour and would think I was being vain!
    Eddie
    Eddie

Male Posts : 3807

Post by Eddie Sun Aug 24 2014, 10:34

"The dietary advice is frightening. 45-60% carb per day. Then they talk about only small amounts of food which are high in sugar or fat. They don't seem to have made the link between high sugar and carbs like pasta which are converted into simple sugar when consumed making them just as bad if not worse!"

If they have not made the connection "between high sugar and carbs like pasta which are converted into simple sugar" they are not fit for purpose. But of course they have made the connection, and DUK does great harm. Ramming down high BG numbers with ever more insulin or type two diabetes drugs kills people. That was proved with the ACCORD study and other failed science experiments.

Last word to Dr. Malcolm Kendrick

“The reality is that over the years, and around the world we have killed literally millions of diabetics by advising them to eat a high-carb diet and avoid fats. Only now is it being recognised that previous advice was and remains useless, dangerous and scientifically illiterate"

Kind regards Eddie

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Mar 28 2024, 21:50