The Low Carb Diabetic

Promoting a low carb high fat lifestyle for the safe control of diabetes. Eat whole fresh food, more drugs are not the answer.

Welcome to the Low Carb Diabetic forum,have you signed up yet? if not then sign up and join us in the low carb community today!

It cannot be done!

Dillinger

Male Posts : 208

It cannot be done!

Post by Dillinger on Mon Mar 16 2015, 13:16

Cough, cough, cough, cough.

That's what I've been doing for the last week. Also been feeling like I've been boxing and not very well. In other words I've had some bug and have been laid up in bed from Monday to Thursday with aches and pains and a sore head.

I've had pretty high blood sugars all that time and have had virtually nothing to eat. Obviously, as a Type 1 I've been taking insulin, checking blood sugars and giving lots of correction shots but my bloods were essentially on a jolly of their own not making much sense at all. This didn't really bother me; these things happen when you're ill and you just try and manage it as best you can.

But at the weekend it was my eldest boys' 6th birthday party, and a friend who I have not seen for more than 10 years was in London for 1 night (from LA) so I had to be on form for both. On Saturday I finally started to get an appetite back and had a real and rare urge to eat carbs; so I thought I'm rushing about I'm not in ketosis anyway because of the lurgy so I'll grab a sandwich and a posh scotch egg with very little carby covering. I bolused for all those carbs and thought nothing of it until an hour or two later.

Bang! Highest blood sugars of the year, corrected for and Crash! Hypo's afterwards. I can't eat carby food; it just cannot be done.

I'm writing off last weeks blood sugars and am getting back to the normal routine again now.

But wow; it's always a shock at how volatile and how terrible my blood sugars are when I try to Dose Adjust For Normal Eating. I might have misjudged amounts but I don't think so; I checked carbs and bolused accordingly....

I pity people who do that and think that their terrible roller-coasting blood sugars are the best that can be achieved, or that they have 'brittle' diabetes or some other issue not related to the poisonous crap they are merrily been told to eat by their health care providers.

Just say no!

Best

Dillinger
    Eddie

Male Posts : 3805

Re: It cannot be done!

Post by Eddie on Mon Mar 16 2015, 16:18

@Dillinger wrote:
    I pity people who do that and think that their terrible roller-coasting blood sugars are the best that can be achieved, or that they have 'brittle' diabetes or some other issue not related to the poisonous crap they are merrily been told to eat by their health care providers.

Just say no!

Best

Dillinger

It never ceases to amaze me, how people that know exactly what they need to do to get good BG numbers, but never do. Some are constantly meddling and trying out different ideas. There are absolutely no short cuts, quick fixes and wonder elixir waiting to be found. A bit of tweaking may gain half a point, but for most if not all, it's whole fresh food, and reducing carbs down to a level that shows safe BG numbers on our meters most of the time. Nil or minimal medication as required. Seven years in the betus club this month and the aforementioned still works very well. As you said Dillinger any other way "cannot be done"

Type two diabetic-low carb diet (50 carbs per day) and two 500mg Metformin pills per day. Apart from diagnosis HbA1c almost 12-all HbA1c results none diabetic. For over eight years my diabetes medication has not changed. My weight has remained stable, I have suffered no ill effects from my diet whatsoever. Every blood test has proved, I took the right road to my diabetic salvation. For almost seven years, I have asked medical professionals and naysayers, how do I maintain non diabetic BG levels on two Metformin other than low carb ? The silence has been deafening !
    mo1905

Male Posts : 2304

Post by mo1905 on Mon Mar 16 2015, 16:26

Lesson learned the hard way lol ! Hope your levels are stable again now.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat Oct 20 2018, 06:59